Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by CRM114
You need some spread on those speakers.

And looking around at the new wave of vinyl listeners is a sad sight. I can't believe people listen to music on those little portable box turntables. Crosley? Seriously? Complete shit. I guess high fidelity has been lost on the current generation. Get off my lawn.
It's been my experience that the kinds of folks who buy Crosley's, mainly fall into to the categories of casual music fans, who...
- are older, and just want something they can listen to their old records on (my in-laws fall into this category)
- younger people who simply don't know better, and/or don't want to spend a lot of money to be able to listen to records

In either case, neither are seriously audiophiles, and these units are sufficient to serve their purposes . The average person these days just wants an all-in-one system, that is as simple to operate as possible. They have neither the time, money, or inclination to check out all the various levels of turntables, needles, amplifiers, speakers, phono preamps, etc.. It's just too much work for them. No, they'll never get or appreciate the full vinyl listening experience, but they don't really care, either.

That said, anyone who does care can still put together a decent system, even without having to spend a fortune. Hell, mine isn't even top of the line, but it's served me well for over three decades. The base of which is a Technics SL-D202 turntable, a Yamaha CA-810 amplifier (with not one, but three phono inputs), and a pair of Kenwood speaker towers. A bit Frankenstieined, perhaps but it does the job very well, thank you. The only thing I've had to change is the needle every couple of years. I'm fortunate enough to have started be a serious music fan when vinyl was in it's absolute apex, and people still built things to last. I also never got rid of any of my records when CDs took over, nor did I ever stop collecting vinyl.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 03-04-14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 03:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I have a Crosley. I bought it for the wife because she liked/likes the "retro" look, and my Technics turntable died so we needed something/anything.

The Crosley is a piece of shit and sounds like complete ass. I've always thought so, but my wife only started to wise up recently. We've agreed to replace it with a better turntable "when we can afford one." That, along with a pair of speakers (I know exactly which ones I want) is a bit too much money to spend right now. Luckily, I have a perfectly good receiver, so I don't need to buy one of those.

I wonder, though, based on the picture posted earlier... isn't it bad to put the turntable right on top of a receiver like that? Doesn't it get too warm when in use? Am I crazy?
Old 03-04-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
I have a Crosley. I bought it for the wife because she liked/likes the "retro" look, and my Technics turntable died so we needed something/anything.

The Crosley is a piece of shit and sounds like complete ass. I've always thought so, but my wife only started to wise up recently. We've agreed to replace it with a better turntable "when we can afford one." That, along with a pair of speakers (I know exactly which ones I want) is a bit too much money to spend right now. Luckily, I have a perfectly good receiver, so I don't need to buy one of those.

I wonder, though, based on the picture posted earlier... isn't it bad to put the turntable right on top of a receiver like that? Doesn't it get too warm when in use? Am I crazy?
Generally, no, one would not put it directly on top of the amp. Proper ventilation of the amp is a must. I could understand if there was a shelf separating them, but otherwise, you are right. It's a bit of a no-no.
Old 03-04-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I see that there are Omen vinyls but I'm tempted to scoop up the Here Comes The Devil score instead. (from Mondo)
I didn't like HCTD at all. Sounded flat to me. Have not seen the film. Probably never play it again. Can't believe how much I like blue Sunshine vinyl and hate the movie.

Omen was ordered.
Old 03-04-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I didn't like HCTD at all. Sounded flat to me. Have not seen the film. Probably never play it again. Can't believe how much I like blue Sunshine vinyl and hate the movie.

Omen was ordered.
I've got the movie for review, so I'll wait and see. I don't think it will sell out anytime soon.
Old 03-05-14, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the the input guys. This is my first system and while it completely makes sense now that it's been pointed out, I've always seen systems stacked, so I thought that was appropro. I'm gonna knock the middle piece out of the shelf and move the receiver down there. Leaving the turntable on top. Gonna push the bookshelves snug against the middle shelf and put the new speakers (when I get them) on the outside edges to get some real space between them.

Please let me know if there any other taboo things I should be avoiding.
Old 03-05-14, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, my turntable is integrated into my home theater set-up. I use my main Infinity speakers for playback on it. If I'm feeling saucy I leave the subwoofer on so I can get some extra bass on the record playback. It sounds fantastic.
Old 03-05-14, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
In either case, neither are seriously audiophiles, and these units are sufficient to serve their purposes . The average person these days just wants an all-in-one system, that is as simple to operate as possible. They have neither the time, money, or inclination to check out all the various levels of turntables, needles, amplifiers, speakers, phono preamps, etc.. It's just too much work for them. No, they'll never get or appreciate the full vinyl listening experience, but they don't really care, either.
This is why they have iPods and Jamboxes.
Old 03-05-14, 09:56 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
Please let me know if there any other taboo things I should be avoiding.
I think you're good to go with all of that.
Be prepared: your new turntable setup will surely get you to start banging 7's and 8's (maybe even 9's and 10's, bro!).

Old 03-05-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-05-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the 1966 mono and 1966 stereo versions of Dylan's Blonde on Blonde. Last week, I finally got the SACD of Blonde on Blonde. I don't know if I'll ever play those records again.
Old 03-06-14, 05:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been tempted to get the MFSL box set of Blonde on Blonde. It's three or four 45 rpm discs and apparently it's the best that album has ever sounded.
Old 03-07-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I find it hard to believe anything could top the SACD.
Old 03-09-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And looking around at the new wave of vinyl listeners is a sad sight. I can't believe people listen to music on those little portable box turntables. Crosley? Seriously? Complete shit. I guess high fidelity has been lost on the current generation. Get off my lawn.
I work at a record store and we sell a lot of Crosleys. They're not very good but they're a good entry level turntable for people new to vinyl. They're cheap and you can walk into a store, buy one and go home and plug and play. No need to look for a set-up. That's what people want.

I've talked with the owner and we've both said that we feel guilty about selling Crosleys to people but it's what people want.

Also, people mostly don't care about sound. They say they want to get into vinyl (mostly they say "vinyls") for the experience. It's the "cool" thing to do now.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Like anything, there will be a range from low end to high end, and people will fall on different points of the spectrum. I'd rather people listen to vinyl on low end tables than not listen at all. In time they may choose to upgrade.
This.

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
It's been my experience that the kinds of folks who buy Crosley's, mainly fall into to the categories of casual music fans, who...
- are older, and just want something they can listen to their old records on (my in-laws fall into this category)
- younger people who simply don't know better, and/or don't want to spend a lot of money to be able to listen to records
You are exactly right. I would say that about 75% of what we sell we sell to kids just getting into vinyl. The other 25% goes to the older folks who are getting back into vinyl.

Yep. This.
Old 03-09-14, 03:21 PM
Banned by request

I find it hard to believe anything could top the SACD.
In that case, don't worry about it.

Is the SACD the MFSL version? In that case it would sound the same as the vinyl, more or less.
Old 03-10-14, 09:05 AM

The whole Crosley phenomenon is exactly what the owner of the Sound Gallery in Austin is hoping to change. Or at least put a dent in here. It's pretty much part of their entire "mission statement." So far so good. In the past couple of weeks business has been good. They sell more records than anything, but that gets people on the door to see the TTs. And they probably sell on the average a TT a day right now. And I'm going to be working there one or two days a week as long as I can make it work with my new corporate America job.
Old 03-10-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The record store I go to sells tons of used turntables and amps - no Crosleys.
Old 03-10-14, 04:08 PM

I see Crosley's at a few of my local record stores. The place I've seen them most prominently was at Urban Outfitters at the Mall of America. They had about 6-8 different styles.

I actually bought my dad one of those last year because he doesn't give a shit, he just wanted something he could flip on in his townhouse and listen to all of his old records he hasn't touched in years.
Old 03-11-14, 08:53 PM

Kickstarter for integrated amp with phono stage.

This looks interesting. Just saw it in a thread devoted to UTurn on Audiokarma.
Old 03-12-14, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That amp looks awesome. 4 bills, though.
Old 03-12-14, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just pre-ordered this on vinyl. I'm really digging the band. I love that they're hard rock/metal, with hints of electronic programming. It helps that Tay is a badass broad, too!

Old 03-12-14, 10:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^ never heard of them, but sounds right up my alley. Will have to check this out.
Old 03-12-14, 12:17 PM
Banned by request

Your Arsenal reissue.
Old 03-12-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like Mondo will be releasing the Gravity score at some point. Day motherfucking 1 on that shit!

Mondo has announced that they will be releasing Steven Price‘s score for the Academy Award-winning film Gravity on a 2xLP 180 gram vinyl. The album was remastered for vinyl by James Plotkin and artwork is done by Kevin Tong.

The score won Best original Score as one of the many Academy Awards and it’s a truly fantastic piece of work, so this is really exciting! Below is what appears to be final artwork for the release, although we’ll know for sure in the coming weeks. Pre-orders, as always, will be announced through Mondo’s Twitter.

Directed by Alfonso Cuarón and starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, the film follows two astronauts who struggle to survive in the emptiness of space after their ship is destroyed.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...vity-on-vinyl/
Old 03-12-14, 08:12 PM
Banned by request

The score was my favorite part of Gravity, but not enough to own it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.