Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

My local stores (Moldy Toes in San Clemente and Factory in Costa Mesa) seem to be doing good or better. I know Factory is doing MORE business since Covid, because he moved a lot of sales to Instagram and he sells tons of stuff through that, that he didn't do before.
Old 12-08-20, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

METALLICA

EXCLUSIVE COLORED VINYL COMING SOON TO WALMART

Dec 8, 2020

2021 will be kicking off with a load of new colored vinyl coming to Walmart stores across the U.S. The Black Album and Hardwired...To Self-Destruct will be available alongside remastered versions of Kill ‘Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice for All in new and exclusive colors while supplies last.

All six albums will hit Walmart store shelves on January 29, but stock is limited. Reserve yours today by pre-ordering directly from Walmart.com. https://www.walmart.com/m/deals/metallica
Old 12-09-20, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Those are pretty cool, but I'm good with the box sets of KIA through AJFA, just waiting for the reissue of the Black Album, I'm guessing next year for the 30th (!) anniversary.

Just picked this up, my first NIN on vinyl, sounds nice!

Old 12-10-20, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon

METALLICA

EXCLUSIVE COLORED VINYL COMING SOON TO WALMART

Dec 8, 2020

2021 will be kicking off with a load of new colored vinyl coming to Walmart stores across the U.S. The Black Album and Hardwired...To Self-Destruct will be available alongside remastered versions of Kill ‘Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice for All in new and exclusive colors while supplies last.

All six albums will hit Walmart store shelves on January 29, but stock is limited. Reserve yours today by pre-ordering directly from Walmart.com. https://www.walmart.com/m/deals/metallica
I see these colored vinyl exclusives just about everywhere now. Are these things catching on, or will this just be another fad that fades out? Are people collecting these like blu-ray.com guys collect slipcovers?
Old 12-10-20, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
I see these colored vinyl exclusives just about everywhere now. Are these things catching on, or will this just be another fad that fades out? Are people collecting these like blu-ray.com guys collect slipcovers?
All of these colored vinyl editions does feel like putting new hats on Malibu Stacy.

That said, I might be tempted to buy these. I already have multiple copies of each of the first three Metallica albums (old 80s pressings of the Kill, Ride, and Master, in addition to the deluxe boxed sets of those three plus Justice). Don't have Black or Hardwired on vinyl, though.

I do like the way the colors match the covers.
Old 12-10-20, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I do like the way the colors match the covers.
Yeah, at least the vinyl colors complement the cover art. When the colors are completely nonsensical to a record release that's when they lose me (e.g. the cheerfully colorful "pinwheels" that the vinyl for the new Death releases look like, those look ridiculous for those titles ) There are some collectors out there that hunt down color variants, I'm thankfully not one of them, I just want the vinyl to sound great, not look pretty.
Old 12-10-20, 10:02 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Yeah, I buy the one that compliments the cover but I've never double dipped just for a different color record.
Old 12-10-20, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I know the new X album has color variants, I just picked up the first one I saw in a store. I certainly won't be buying another copy just because it's a different color. That's money I could have spent on a different album altogether.
Old 12-10-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Paff
I know the new X album has color variants, I just picked up the first one I saw in a store. I certainly won't be buying another copy just because it's a different color. That's money I could have spent on a different album altogether.
I have Blue (2000), Green (500), White (400), Red (300)...I'm only missing Yellow (200) and the black regular edition.

I have about 4-5 copies of Los Angeles as well...
Old 12-10-20, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I have Blue (2000), Green (500), White (400), Red (300)...I'm only missing Yellow (200) and the black regular edition.

I have about 4-5 copies of Los Angeles as well...
Got a decent original pressing you're willing to part with? haha. I got one for like $25, and I think someone used it as a frisbee. I know I could just buy a reissue, but there's something about the old, all-analog versions that I enjoy more.

Old 12-12-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got a decent original pressing you're willing to part with? haha. I got one for like $25, and I think someone used it as a frisbee. I know I could just buy a reissue, but there's something about the old, all-analog versions that I enjoy more.
My LRS put out a ton of really good original stuff on Black Friday, and he had original Slash pressings of Los Angeles and Wild Gift. I have both already, but looked at the price of LA and it was $55.

Mine is signed by JD and Exene.

The Porterhouse pressing is supposed to be the best. I have a Newbury Comics version of it that I haven't opened (splatter version). I would like to find a sealed Porterhouse regular copy and have that as a playable. I still play my Slash and a new Fat Possum pressing.
Old 02-21-21, 06:55 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Has anyone here in the states had any experience ordering vinyl from Amazon UK? I have plenty of experience ordering from Amazon in the states and receiving records shipped domestically in everything from plastic bag mailers to being double boxed, but I was just curious about how Amazon UK packaged records for overseas orders.
Old 02-22-21, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flansered
Has anyone here in the states had any experience ordering vinyl from Amazon UK? I have plenty of experience ordering from Amazon in the states and receiving records shipped domestically in everything from plastic bag mailers to being double boxed, but I was just curious about how Amazon UK packaged records for overseas orders.
Not quite, I have ordered from UK sellers where Amazon UK fulfills the orders, and they have arrived in the standard LP cardboard mailers. With domestic orders from Amazon, that mailer box is usually packed in a larger box, but with orders from the UK that would really increase the size, and therefore shipping cost, of the package so it makes sense that they just stick with the mailer box itself. They've always arrived in perfect condition, but obviously YMMV.
Old 02-22-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I have had a shitty experience once. I ordered The Wall, and it was literally just the album, with a packing sticker on it, dinged up on its way to me. Shrink wrap coming off, magic marker on the actual packaging.
Old 02-22-21, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I have had a shitty experience once. I ordered The Wall, and it was literally just the album, with a packing sticker on it, dinged up on its way to me. Shrink wrap coming off, magic marker on the actual packaging.
Yikes! Was it from a 3rd party seller?

Either way, that'd definitely be going back, if I received it in that condition.
Old 02-22-21, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the responses. I have been getting records in the flimsy plastic mailers with no cardboard from Amazon lately, and it was just making me curious before I placed an overseas order.
Old 02-22-21, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I had that happened to me with a Amazon Marketplace order. Record was listed as like new, but sent to me with the shipping label on the front of the album cover and with the gatefold taped shut. Every corner was been and the seam was split. Amazon refunded it to me and told me to keep it. The record played fine, but it took forever to clean the label off the front and it damaged the cover further (which wasn't that big of deal given the condition it arrived in.)
Old 02-25-21, 01:43 PM

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I ordered the 40th anniversary set of the Ramones Leave Home from
amazon.de. It took about two weeks which is really quick. I’ve had orders take three times that long. I’m really surprised it arrived undamaged as it was just thrown in an oversized box.
Old 02-25-21, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I ordered the 40th anniversary set of the Ramones Leave Home from
amazon.de. It took about two weeks which is really quick. I’ve had orders take three times that long. I’m really surprised it arrived undamaged as it was just thrown in an oversized box.
I had a chance to buy a still-sealed copy of Leave Home (not sure which pressing, but not a recent re-issue, definitely a 70s or possibly 80s copy) a few years ago at a record store and I didn't. Think they wanted like $40 for it. Still kicking myself for that.
Old 02-25-21, 04:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I had a chance to buy a still-sealed copy of Leave Home (not sure which pressing, but not a recent re-issue, definitely a 70s or possibly 80s copy) a few years ago at a record store and I didn't. Think they wanted like $40 for it. Still kicking myself for that.
Nice. I actually prefer the 70s and early 80s repress when Sheena was included on the track listing. First US press didn't have it. I recently got a replacement copy for $20 of the 70s repress in NM -- my other copy was VG with too much crackle.
Old 02-25-21, 05:03 PM

I have all those double cd sets that came out a bunch of years ago. It sucks they stopped with Too Tough To Die. Halfway to Sanity is one of my favs. Would have loved to hear bonus tracks from that.
I held off on these 40th sets for too long and Leave Home and Road to Ruin went out of print. Had to pay a lot more for those than I wanted. I got the other three sets from Target during its b2g1
Old 02-25-21, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on this little conversation I tossed my Leave Home on the TT tonight. Not too bad, a bit of crackly, should give it a spin clean next time I'm doing a batch. But it's also a bit harsh-sounding to me (yes, I know, it's a 70s punk record) so I'm probably better off not having spent the money on that sealed copy. They definitely improved production by Rocket to Russia and Road to Ruin.
Old 02-26-21, 07:05 AM

The Marky albums are the ones that get played less at my house. I’m usually listening to the first three and the three with Richie.
Thats not to say the Marky era isn’t good. I just can’t stand that guy and it’s hard for me to look past it.

Last edited by Toddarino; 02-26-21 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-26-21, 08:04 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Quick question: What's the best way to remove a smudge from a record? I bought the record below at a pawn shop for $2 and it sounds great with the exception of skipping in Crystal Blue Persuasion due to a smudge on the record.

Old 02-26-21, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Quick question: What's the best way to remove a smudge from a record? I bought the record below at a pawn shop for $2 and it sounds great with the exception of skipping in Crystal Blue Persuasion due to a smudge on the record.
Just try dish soap and water (distilled if you have some handy) and a microfiber towel
The following users liked this post:
Red Hood (02-26-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.