Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 09-03-21, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 444 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I should probably recap my Commodore 128 and 1571, but they both still run fine and don't get a lot of use.
I'd just inspect the caps. If they look fine, don't touch 'em.
Old 09-03-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I'd just inspect the caps. If they look fine, don't touch 'em.
Agreed! But I don't blame you for replacing yours, as sound could be degraded (even though you didn't notice a difference).

For drives, you'll know if they're not working.
Old 09-19-21, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

Article on how manufacturers can't keep up with vinyl demand...

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture...breaking-point
Old 09-21-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Article on how manufacturers can't keep up with vinyl demand...

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture...breaking-point

But didn't Smithee here say that no one he knows buys vinyl?

Damn, they must be losing a fortune on all the records they're pressing.
Old 10-24-21, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went to a high-end stereo store yesterday, and they just got in a large vinyl collection that was strewn about in about 30 boxes around the store. Standard pricing - $8 for a single LP, $14 for doubles, regardless of rarity. Mostly a lot of mainstream major label 70s and 80s rock and roll (I.E., very few punk and alternative, my desired genres). I think I saw every Linda Rondstadt album at least half a dozen times. The big takeaway was that the records and covers were in really excellent condition, I was tempted on several just to get a better copy than what I already had. In fact, I did that with Emitt Rhodes' self-titled debut album, and The Left Banke's Walk Away Renee.

But as always, there's a few diamonds in the rough, some very underpriced records. Like, that Left Banke album was a misprint; it's listed as mono but it's actually stereo, with average prices on this particular copy going for around $25 on Discogs.
The other two "finds":
First pressing of Pink Floyd The Wall
The Pretenders - Talk of the Town (unofficial release, live record from 1980)
Old 10-24-21, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 315 Posts

Went to a high-end stereo store yesterday, and they just got in a large vinyl collection that was strewn about in about 30 boxes around the store. Standard pricing - $8 for a single LP, $14 for doubles, regardless of rarity. Mostly a lot of mainstream major label 70s and 80s rock and roll (I.E., very few punk and alternative, my desired genres). I think I saw every Linda Rondstadt album at least half a dozen times. The big takeaway was that the records and covers were in really excellent condition, I was tempted on several just to get a better copy than what I already had. In fact, I did that with Emitt Rhodes' self-titled debut album, and The Left Banke's Walk Away Renee.

But as always, there's a few diamonds in the rough, some very underpriced records. Like, that Left Banke album was a misprint; it's listed as mono but it's actually stereo, with average prices on this particular copy going for around $25 on Discogs.
The other two "finds":
First pressing of Pink Floyd The Wall
The Pretenders - Talk of the Town (unofficial release, live record from 1980)
Hope you picked that one up! Great sounding album, and a steal at $14, assuming it's in good shape.
Old 10-24-21, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Hope you picked that one up! Great sounding album, and a steal at $14, assuming it's in good shape.
I did, but I misspoke; it does not appear to be a first pressing, as it has "Written by Roger Waters" instead of "Produced by David Gilmour", which was apparently a change made after the first pressings. I'm not the biggest Pink Floyd fan, in fact this is the first of their albums to enter my collection. But I've seen the film version several times, I do like concept albums and "rock operas" a lot, so i've wanted a copy of the record for a while.
Old 10-25-21, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh wow, you weren't kidding about the sound on The Wall. Really impressive. I'd rate the condition of the album VG (no plus), with light crackles here and there. I'm gonna give it a spin clean, because I think it's just surface dust. But yeah, I was listening to side 2 while getting ready for work, and I'd really like the quieter pieces like Goodbye Blue Sky to be, well, quieter.
Old 01-02-22, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Picked up my first record player just over a week ago and already bought 12 albums to go along with DSOM and the Breaking Bad score my son gave me last year for Christmas assuming I had a way to play them. Really enjoying the hobby and having something new to collect as I have 98% of the movies and tv shows I like on 4k, bluray or dvd and plenty of unwatched discs.. Just need to make sure I put the breaks on for a bit now that I have enough albums to rotate a tiny bit.

Old 01-03-22, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paraphrasing Repo Man

Nesbit: Screw that. I ain't gonna be no "vinyl enthusiast". No way.
Marlene: Too late. You already are.

Yeah, you say you're gonna put the brakes on, but get back to us after you've spent an hour digging through record bins at some used store, or swap meet/flea market. Which I'm putting the over/under on happening before the end of January.
The following users liked this post:
Nesbit (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 689 Likes on 441 Posts

Been buying a lot lately and my daughter is now into it too.

This was our haul over the holidays. I'm pretty stoked about the Dragnet soundtrack for $8

Nesbit (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Paraphrasing Repo Man

Nesbit: Screw that. I ain't gonna be no "vinyl enthusiast". No way.
Marlene: Too late. You already are.

Yeah, you say you're gonna put the brakes on, but get back to us after you've spent an hour digging through record bins at some used store, or swap meet/flea market. Which I'm putting the over/under on happening before the end of January.
If it weren't for family visiting I'd have already gone by now lol. The hunt is at least 25% of the reason I decided to start collecting. Really enjoyed rebuilding my movie collection starting 5 or 6 years ago. Took 2-3 years before it'd be rare that I couldn't find at least 1 film or tv show I wanted at a pawn shop or flea market but I'm way past that point on blurays now.
Old 01-04-22, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nesbit View Post
If it weren't for family visiting I'd have already gone by now lol. The hunt is at least 25% of the reason I decided to start collecting. Really enjoyed rebuilding my movie collection starting 5 or 6 years ago. Took 2-3 years before it'd be rare that I couldn't find at least 1 film or tv show I wanted at a pawn shop or flea market but I'm way past that point on blurays now.
The hunt is indeed fun, as well as being a massive time-suck. I mean, for certain albums, like that Dark Side of the Moon you have, you're better off just getting the remastered 180-gram pressing (or hell, just get the CD) rather than searching forever to find an original pressing that isn't loaded with pops and scratches from college kids playing it on cheap-ass turntables back in the 70s. But if you're looking for something off the beaten path, maybe that release by the band that isn't as hugely popular or well-known, but you like it just as much, you're gonna have to get it on vinyl and you'll have to dig for it. And it will be a lot of fun. If you look at Draven's haul, you'll see soundtracks and comedy records, and a lot of those never made the jump to CD.
Old 01-06-22, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I finally finished inputting my record collection into discogs (LOL at the actual number of records I have).

I was really taken aback by how much so many records have spiked in value, and how much they're actually selling for. I bought everything pretty much new, as it came out, so I've never been gouged. So I've never noticed how many records have gone out of press (I assume due to shortages and production back-ups - and you can keep everything in print), and all of it seems to get really jacked up in price. And who's paying $300+ for some of these records - many of which are just color-variations, and you can still get the same record in a different version. I am stoked I was able to nab a lot of the higher quality AAA vinyl releases before they disappeared.
Old 01-06-22, 09:51 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats on completing your Discogs cataloguing. That is no small achievement. It is still in progress for me as I'll typically add an entry as I'm listening to an album (and I listen pretty much daily). I have a larger collection with a ways to go still.
Old 01-06-22, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I finally finished inputting my record collection into discogs (LOL at the actual number of records I have).

I was really taken aback by how much so many records have spiked in value, and how much they're actually selling for. I bought everything pretty much new, as it came out, so I've never been gouged. So I've never noticed how many records have gone out of press (I assume due to shortages and production back-ups - and you can keep everything in print), and all of it seems to get really jacked up in price. And who's paying $300+ for some of these records - many of which are just color-variations, and you can still get the same record in a different version. I am stoked I was able to nab a lot of the higher quality AAA vinyl releases before they disappeared.
Right? For me, it's the punk records I bought back in the day, 'cuz a lot of times they were one-off pressings. Like I have the Descendents' I Don't Wanna Grow Up. Bought it at Newbury Comics back in the day, new, $7.98. But it turns out, that was when SST was buying up the Descendents' back catalog and there was a short run of this record that falls in between the previous label and SST. Thus, it goes for $125 on the 'cogs. Or a used 7 Seconds record that was in the $1 bargain bin because due to a screw-up, it's got side 1 on both sides. $250 for that thing now.
Old 01-07-22, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

Right? For me, it's the punk records I bought back in the day, 'cuz a lot of times they were one-off pressings. Like I have the Descendents' I Don't Wanna Grow Up. Bought it at Newbury Comics back in the day, new, $7.98. But it turns out, that was when SST was buying up the Descendents' back catalog and there was a short run of this record that falls in between the previous label and SST. Thus, it goes for $125 on the 'cogs. Or a used 7 Seconds record that was in the $1 bargain bin because due to a screw-up, it's got side 1 on both sides. $250 for that thing now.
Mis-labeled stuff, errors, and early pressings have always been more valuable. There's a rare version of an early Bob Dylan record with extra tracks that goes for five digits, and that was back before vinyl became a "thing" again.

Old 01-07-22, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 668 Likes on 470 Posts

I probably have 80% of my collection on Discogs now (all of my vinyl, but still need to add a bunch of CDs). I too am surprised about the values for a lot of my vinyl, but am not surprised that most of my CDs (but not all) are worth around $5.00 or less a pop.
Old 01-07-22, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always take the value of records that Discogs shows with a grain of salt. You might get that price if you found the right seller otherwise I don't think you would.
Old 01-07-22, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure, that's to be expected in any used goods market.

While I like Discogs for the ability to connect with sellers who have records I want, one incident at a record show grinded my gears a bit. One seller had a box of records he hadn't priced yet. I found the debut record by The Young Fresh Fellows. He whips out his phone, goes to Discogs, then tells me "$18" (obviously what the average price was). I mean, fine, that's what it's going for, but is that what HE paid when he bought that box of records? I highly doubt it. Hell, $18 is probably more than what he paid for the entire box. I probably wouldn't have been as peeved if the records had been priced already, but just seeing him do that on the spot really ticked me off.
Old 01-07-22, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 75 Posts

I have two of these, sealed, with hype-stickers and price tags...https://www.discogs.com/sell/history/9059196
Plus one of the gold version too!

My vinyl collection. (Well, there are a few CD's in there...It would take forever to do all my CD's plus they are all ripped/boxed away anyways.)

https://www.discogs.com/user/Chrisedge/collection
Old 01-10-22, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The hunt is indeed fun, as well as being a massive time-suck. I mean, for certain albums, like that Dark Side of the Moon you have, you're better off just getting the remastered 180-gram pressing (or hell, just get the CD) rather than searching forever to find an original pressing that isn't loaded with pops and scratches from college kids playing it on cheap-ass turntables back in the 70s. But if you're looking for something off the beaten path, maybe that release by the band that isn't as hugely popular or well-known, but you like it just as much, you're gonna have to get it on vinyl and you'll have to dig for it. And it will be a lot of fun. If you look at Draven's haul, you'll see soundtracks and comedy records, and a lot of those never made the jump to CD.
Yeah I'm fine with this copy of Dark Side. It was actually a gift from my son from a few years ago when I didn't have a player. It's by far my least favorite of the big 4 Pink Floyd records. For Wish You Were Here have a 1977 copy from Germany coming that's supposed to be really good. Animals is supposed to be rereleased in some form this year so will wait til thats announced to think about what version I want to get. Probably going to go with an original copy of The Wall at some point even though I've heard that a lot of the other presses are just as good but in no rush for that or really any specific album. The luxuries of only owning 20 albums ....

95% or more of my music tastes are pretty mainstream so don't know how many I'll find in my searching but definitely looking forward to giving some acts I've heard of a shot and will pick up plenty of comedy albums.
Old 04-27-22, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is not so much a post about vinyl, but record player question/guidance...

I've had a pretty decent, but entry-level player (around $250) for about 5 years now, and it's done it's job pretty well and sounds good. But the motor seems to be slowing down, and I can replace it for about $20, but I'm thinking maybe get a newer, better player, say, at around $500, with a far better stylus/cartridge?

I listen to vinyl now WAY more than I did when I first bought the player (and also have WAY more vinyl), I've even converted a small space in my house as a "music listening room", with the sound system and all my records. So I am leaning toward the new player. The rest of my equipment (amp, speakers) are all top of the line, but vintage from the late '70s, and work great - it's just the player that's mid-grade and needs repair or replacement.
Old 04-27-22, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 420 Likes on 288 Posts

A few years ago when my player finally died after throwing a ton of money at it, I spent around $250 on a nice Audio Technica. It’s a serviceable unit and I don’t really have any complaints. The problem I have is I need to have auto-return and it seems like a lot of high end units did away with that feature.
Old 04-27-22, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why not just buy a vintage Technics? Now, I got super lucky on mine, buying it for $50 right before vinyl took off again, but a quick trip to E-bay shows several of my model turntable (SL-1500) for around $250-350, which is quite reasonable.

I will admit, I have the advantage of being a tinkerer with an electronics background, so the RCA output cables being totally shot was no dealbreaker for me. And not everyone is comfortable disassembling expensive equipment for routine maintenance like a yearly spray of De-Oxit inside the switches (kind of necessary on 45+ year old electronics), but it's a damn good turntable that's lasted since the Ford administration and shows no signs of dying anytime soon. I doubt Toddarino will get that kind of life out of his Audio Technica, no matter how well it's working right now.
Nesbit (04-27-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.