Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 418 Likes on 280 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

https://pitchfork.com/news/devastati...record-supply/

“Devastating” Manufacturing Plant Fire Threatens Worldwide Vinyl Record Supply

Third Man Records’ Ben Blackwell says the destruction of Apollo Masters’ California facility “will present a problem for the vinyl industry worldwide”
Brooklynphono, October 2011 (Scott Eells/Bloomberg via Getty Images)Apollo Masters—a manufacturing plant that supplies the lacquer used for making master discs, which are used to make vinyl records—suffered a fire on Thursday, February 6, at its manufacturing and storage facility in Banning, California, The Desert Sun reports. No employees were injured in the “devastating” blaze, which completely destroyed the facility. A note on Apollo Masters’ website reads, “We are uncertain of our future at this point and are evaluating options as we try to work through this difficult time.” Figures in the vinyl record production industry have expressed similar concern.

“From my understanding, this fire will present a problem for the vinyl industry worldwide,” Ben Blackwell, co-founder of Third Man Records told Pitchfork in an email. “There are only TWO companies that make lacquers in the world, and the other, MDC in Japan, already had trouble keeping up with demand BEFORE this development.” (The emphasis is Blackwell’s.)

Blackwell also wrote that there have been “whispers” of another company “entertaining the idea” of entering the lacquer marketplace, but that Apollo was also the “primary or possibly only supplier of the styli” that are used in the vinyl pressing process. “I imagine this will affect EVERYONE, not just Third Man Pressing and Third Man Mastering, but to what extent remains to be seen.”

In addition, Blackwell clarified, “I don’t want to be an alarmist. But I’m attempting to be realistic as opposed to Pollyannish.”

The Twitter account for Duplication, a Toronto-based vinyl/CD/DVD duplication, pressing, and printing company wrote, “Disaster for the vinyl pressing industry,” and “There will be a lacquer shortage and possibly plants having to close or scale back operations for a while.”

When reached by Pitchfork, David Read, a vinyl production and sales coordinator at Duplication, added that the fire “will directly affect all vinyl plants, bands/labels, mastering engineers, plating facilities etc., anyone who used lacquers as part of their vinyl production.” Read added optimistically, “In my almost 40 years experience the vinyl industry as a whole is incredibly resilient, and filled with talented professionals who will, and already are, teaming together to find a way out of this current problem.”

Pitchfork has reached out to representatives for Apollo Masters for further comment and more information.
Old 02-09-20, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 768 Posts

That's a bummer about Apollo Masters. I can only see the price for new records going up, and they're already a little too pricey. Luckily, most of my vinyl purchasing (>90%) is used records anyway, but I still like grabbing an occasional new release or new re-master.

Another trip to Jupiter yesterday, but with a slightly different haul than usual. Not so much new wave and power pop, this ended up (unintentionally, by the way) being comedy-heavy.

Cheech and Chong's Wedding Album
Gilda Radner - Live from New York
Billy Connolly - Solo Concert
Los Lobos - By the Light of the Moon
Vanguard Stereolab Test Record
Smoke Rise - The Survival of St. Joan

The last two are the most interesting. The Vanguard record is test patterns for measuring balance, distortion, etc. It's got a copyright date of 1960, so I don't know how it will translate to my (slightly more) modern equipment.

And St. Joan is a rock opera by the prog-rock group Smoke Rise, this appears to be one of their only releases. I love the idea of rock opera, except there's only two worth a damn: Tommy and Jesus Christ Superstar. There's tons of good concept albums, 2112, Schoolboys in Disgrace, Ziggy Stardust, and American Idiot come to mind immediately, but they're not quite operas like the first two. It will be my Sunday afternoon listening session though.
Old 02-09-20, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Some good vinyl deals here, 3 for the price of 2 sale today
https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotion/AA1XVC0W3932J/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ref_=pdaatf_psp_AA1XVC0W3932J&linkCode=ll2&tag=vinylhawk000-20&linkId=3144be01feedb2c2dcfc39c7b5e17c75&language=en_US https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotion/AA1XVC0W3932J/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ref_=pdaatf_psp_AA1XVC0W3932J&linkCode=ll2&tag=vinylhawk000-20&linkId=3144be01feedb2c2dcfc39c7b5e17c75&language=en_US
Old 02-24-20, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Went to Jupiter in search of "Pink World", a rock opera by the new wave/progressive artist Planet P. Wasn't able to find it, but like always, I still came out of the store with an armful of records.

Off Broadway USA - On
Off Broadway USA - Quick Turns
O-Positive - Toyboat Toyboat (sealed!)
The Red Back Book - Scott Joplin performed by the New England Conservatory Ragtime Ensemble (sealed!)
John Otway - Where Did I Go Right?
Linda Ronstadt - Living in the USA

First two records are more power-pop, 'cuz you can't have enough of it. O-Positive was a Boston band I remember seeing a few times, and I do like sealed vintage records. My dad was a big ragtime guy, so I developed an osmosis-like appreciation of it. John Otway was just an absolute nut, not sure if his studio releases quite live up to his live performances. Watch the movie Urgh! A Music War to see him nearly strangle himself with the mic cord running about on stage and doing somersaults for no reason. Finally, I've been enjoying the late 70s and early 80s records of Ms. Ronstadt. Got Mad Love a while ago due to her performing THREE Elvis Costello songs on it, Simple Dreams has her singing Buddy Holly and the Rolling Stones, USA is the record in between the two. With a version of Costello's Alison.
Old 04-29-20, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As you can expect, my record-buying has slowed down to a trickle due to Covid, but my record LISTENING has increased exponentially. So it ain't all bad. But I can tell you, once all this is over, I'm gonna go to Jupiter Records, walk in the door and shout "Shut up and take my money!" They will.
I've picked up a few in the mail from Discogs, although the $4-5 surcharge on each record due to shipping is a real boner-killer. But while on lockdown, I've gotten:

The Alleycats - Escape From the Planet Earth
The Alleycats - Nothing Means Nothing Anymore (7", reissue)
Spizzenergi - Spizz History
The Darling Buds - Evergreen (10")
The Real Kids - S/T (180g reissue, sealed)

I've mentioned that Awkwafina is currently working on a project about the early LA punk scene, and the role of Chinese restaurants that hosted many hardcore shows. I'm wondering if she's playing Madame Wong, a major figure in that scene, but it will take some aging makeup. If not, I could totally see her play Dianne Chai, bassist/singer of The Alleycats. That's a story itself, the prominent women-of-color in the punk scene then. Alice Bag Band was fronted by a queer Latina.
Old 04-29-20, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

The New York Times has an article today about The Electric Recording Co., a London-based boutique company that does limited pressings (<300) of high quality vinyl that sell for $400-$600 each. Yikes!

Here's a link, but not sure if its behind a paywall (I'm a subscriber):
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/a...-co-vinyl.html
Old 04-30-20, 10:11 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
As you can expect, my record-buying has slowed down to a trickle due to Covid, but my record LISTENING has increased exponentially. So it ain't all bad. But I can tell you, once all this is over, I'm gonna go to Jupiter Records, walk in the door and shout "Shut up and take my money!" They will.
I've picked up a few in the mail from Discogs, although the $4-5 surcharge on each record due to shipping is a real boner-killer. But while on lockdown, I've gotten:

The Alleycats - Escape From the Planet Earth
The Alleycats - Nothing Means Nothing Anymore (7", reissue)
Spizzenergi - Spizz History
The Darling Buds - Evergreen (10")
The Real Kids - S/T (180g reissue, sealed)

I've mentioned that Awkwafina is currently working on a project about the early LA punk scene, and the role of Chinese restaurants that hosted many hardcore shows. I'm wondering if she's playing Madame Wong, a major figure in that scene, but it will take some aging makeup. If not, I could totally see her play Dianne Chai, bassist/singer of The Alleycats. That's a story itself, the prominent women-of-color in the punk scene then. Alice Bag Band was fronted by a queer Latina.
Nice, I've been on the lookout for The Real Kids albums -- the originals are hard to come by. Speaking of power pop, I picked up some as well recently:

The Scooters - Young Girls
The Inmates - s/t
The Tazmanian Devils - Broadway Hi-life
Instructions - s/t
Jack Green - Humanesque
Sterling - City Kids
Old 04-30-20, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have three Real Kids albums - all reissues.

of your other selections, any stand out? I've only heard of The Scooters, I own that record too. It's a little creepy. I know they're trying to appeal to teens, but something about guys in their 20s and above suggesting that high school girls skip school and lie to their parents to hook up with them doesn't play well in the 21st century.

I prefer anachronisms to just be dumb slang terms. Like there's a great song on The Romantics' fourth record In Heat....you're digging the guitar riff and driving drum beat, it's got typical power pop lyrics, then you just fall on the floor laughing with the chorus of "Love me to the max"
Old 04-30-20, 11:45 AM

I hear ya on The Scooters. The album cover itself is a bit creepy but then again there were plenty of questionable covers peppered into the 60s-70s as well. As for the best of the lot, Id say either Sterling or the Jack Green record -- if you come across either of those in the cheap bin I'd recommend them.
Old 04-30-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oof. As much as I miss going to Jupiter Records, I'm not looking forward to a dig through the "S" section. It's quite massive, and is easily a 20-30 minute endeavor (that's why I bought any and all Swimming Pool Qs records a few months ago when I only wanted one; it's more cost effective to buy them and toss them than spend time digging through again if I wanted subsequent records after buying their first one)

G, no problem. I'm there already when I look for Game Theory, Nick Gilder (two artist who should definitely be on your radar if they aren't already) or The Graces (Charlotte Caffey's post Go-Go's project)
Old 05-01-20, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I listened to that Scooters record again last night, and this morning while getting ready for work. You know, after you get past the creep-o lyrics, it's not a bad little record. And even then the lyrics are forgiveable since it was a different time, and the young girls they sing about were indeed the target audience. I always chastise Joan Jett when I Love Rock n Roll comes on and she sings "Knew he must have been about 17". You're going to jail, Joanie.

Also listened to In Heat again, since I'd mentioned it here and I haven't put it on in a while. It's quite the power-pop gem. You kind of dismiss it since it was their most commercially successful album and notable for the bland "Talking in Your Sleep", but aside from that there's more good than bad. "Rock You Up", "Got Me Where You Want Me", the aforementioned "Love Me To The Max", and "Digging on You" are just damn fun to listen to.
Old 05-15-20, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 450 Posts

I don't have any interest in listening to vinyl but since I listen to all my music through Spotify I started buying the vinyl of the artists whose music I want to support since they are getting pennies from Spotify. So far this week I preordered the new Run the Jewels album and the Hayley Williams album.

Last edited by The Questyen; 05-16-20 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-08-20, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yay! Record stores are reopening!!

Jupiter has said they won't be open till around mid-June, maybe this weekend. I went to one of my other favorite stores, Record City, and I'm glad he's come out of quarantine relatively unscathed. I assume. He got a nice start when the guy in line in front of me bought $616 (!) worth of vinyl. Paid cash, too.
My small haul was

Game Theory - Blaze of Glory
XTC - The Meeting Place
Smoke Rise - The Survival of St. Joan

The Game Theory LP was a REAL find. Original pressing, which goes for around $50 and up on Discogs, Graham hooked me up for $16. The XTC EP is notable for for "home demos" on the B-side. Only 3 ever got recorded in a studio and released.
It's my second purchase of St. Joan. Got it a few months ago at Jupiter, and it's a curious 70s rock opera. VERY 70s. This copy was SEALED. Yep, no one's taken the shrink wrap off this thing in 49 years. Should sound glorious!
Old 06-11-20, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 123 Posts

I bought directly from Factory Records and Moldy Toes here in So OC (and mail order) since the lockdown.
Old 06-11-20, 01:16 PM

They are opening here as well in Minneapolis. This week I visited Roadrunner and Mill City (which has got to be one of the best record stores in the Midwest, if not the country, based on their vast used selection). Strictly Discs in Madison, WI is also up there. I don't know the status of the Minneapolis Cheapo location -- they are located not too far from where the looting occurred.

Anyway, glad they are open again and, more importantly, survived the quarantine period. I know some pivoted to online sales by setting up web stores or selling through social media to keep some revenue stream trickling in.
Old 06-21-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, as stores are re-opening, I'm following through on my "shut up and take my money!" offer. The stores are accepting of this. And one of my favorites that I've mentioned several times, Jupiter Records, has temporarily dropped their prices from $5/anything to $3. More on them later. First stop was Vinyl Junkies Record Shack, which netted me:

Sid Vicious - Live at Max's 1978
Little Shop of Horrors - Original Cast Recording
Linda Ronstadt - Silk Purse
Tacocat - This Mess is a Place
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Hard Promises
The Tubes - What do you Want From Live?
Times Square - OST
Missing Persons - 4 song EP
Geoff Muldaur - I Ain't Drunk
The Bongos - Drums Along the Hudson

no idea who Geoff Muldaur is, it was in the bargain rack, and I like the original Jimmie Liggins' version of I Ain't Drunk. But that's a hard record to find, so we'll see how this cover is.
Only the Ronstadt, Vicious, and Tacocat records exceeded $10. The rest were $5 and below.

Off to Jupiter to find:

Soul Asylum - Hang Time
The Vandals - Hollywood Potato Chip
Jack Green - Humanesque
Jack Green - Reverse Logic
Fotomaker
Figures on a Beach - Standing on Ceremony
Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant
Ellen Foley - Nightout
Ellen Foley - Spirit of St. Louis
Secret Affair - Glory Boys
Walk the Moon

A lot of interesting stuff there, all at $3 a pop. The Vandals' record was actually a RSD-Exclusive from 2016, sealed! And I asked, is this one $3 too? They said yes. Secret Affair, never heard of 'em. But it looked mod-power popish, and it's easier to just drop the $3 than to research it. Walk the Moon, that "Shut up and Dance With Me" was a guilty pleasure song, but it turns out this is a completely different band from the 80s that took the name first. Whoops. We'll see how that roll of the dice goes. And Ellen Foley's second record is actually a Clash record (she was dating Mick Jones) with her on vocals.

Have not listened to any of them yet, as they're in varying conditions so I want to give them all a cleaning on my new spin-clean kit first.

Old 06-21-20, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I love those Ellen Foley records! Her cover of the Stone's "Stupid Girl" on 'Night Out' really kicks.
Just as her second album was basically The Clash, that first one was all Ian Hunter/Mick Ronson.

(And the Times Square soundtrack brought back memories as well...)
Old 07-01-20, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Nice, I've been on the lookout for The Real Kids albums -- the originals are hard to come by. Speaking of power pop, I picked up some as well recently:

The Scooters - Young Girls
The Inmates - s/t
The Tazmanian Devils - Broadway Hi-life
Instructions - s/t
Jack Green - Humanesque
Sterling - City Kids
Wanted to quote this, as I recently picked up two Jack Green albums for cheap at Jupiter. Humanesque is good, but Reverse Logic is a real gem. I've only listened to Side 1, but it was so good that when it was over, rather than flip the record and listen to Side 2, I dropped the needle right at the beginning again. There's some great guitar work and melodies here. The guy is good.
Old 07-02-20, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Paff
Wanted to quote this, as I recently picked up two Jack Green albums for cheap at Jupiter. Humanesque is good, but Reverse Logic is a real gem. I've only listened to Side 1, but it was so good that when it was over, rather than flip the record and listen to Side 2, I dropped the needle right at the beginning again. There's some great guitar work and melodies here. The guy is good.
I love experiencing stuff like that -- especially when it's on a record that's been around for ~40 years and I'm hearing it for the first time. I'll have to track down his other albums.

BTW, from that list I posted, The Inmates really have their hooks in me. Tracked down a few more of their records and they are all stellar. Unfortunately, their US popularity faded so several of these subsequent albums were never pressed in the US so overseas copies are the only option.
Old 07-02-20, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I love experiencing stuff like that -- especially when it's on a record that's been around for ~40 years and I'm hearing it for the first time. I'll have to track down his other albums.
Yeah, the selection at Jupiter is just massive, and it's so many titles that fell by the wayside. Bands that never made it, for some reason or another. I was there today again (seriously, at $3/record you just feel compelled to grab anything that's even remotely interesting) Today's haul:

States - Picture Me With You
OXO - S/T
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We are DEVO!
The Royal Court of China - S/T
The Rubinoos - Back to the Drawing Board
The Rubinoos - Party of Two
The Waitresses - Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful?
The Waitresses - Bruisology
Bobby Sutliff - Only Ghosts Remain
The Cretones - Thin Red Line
The Cretones - Snap! Snap!
The Buddy Holly Story vol II
Queen - The Game
Juice Newton - Juice
The Look - S/T
FM - OST

Some notes:
The Look and States' records were impulse buys, they looked power pop-ish. And a quick needle drop on States and I immediately remember the title track from a power pop station I loved on the long gone Live365. A good gamble. The Royal Court I just heard on the 80s Alternative podcast as their "Underground Nugget of the Week" and liked it. Southeast US jangle-pop. Bobby Sutliff was listed on the "Top 200 power pop albums of all time", so it's a first listen. I liked Juice Newton's version of Queen of Hearts, and $3 was about as much as I'd want to spend on it. The Cretones had 3 songs on Linda Rondstadt's Mad Love album (my favorite of hers), and they're all on Thin Red Line. The other record, well, I was already there so why not.

The Devo record was just a steal in a bargain shop like this, and I actually don't own that particular record.

Edit: Found a live clip of States. 80's power pop (cliches included) at its finest:

Last edited by Paff; 07-02-20 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wanted to come back to this thread for a nice little find today at Jupiter (still just $3/record).

Found an album by The Textones, who were on my radar a little since I learned Kathy Valentine co-founded them before leaving for The Go-Gos. But what made this one stand out? Well, it was personally signed by all 5 members of the band! Including power-pop legend Phil Seymour, who is no longer alive.

And yes, it was still just $3.
The following users liked this post:
andicus (09-14-20)
Old 09-14-20, 08:39 AM

^ Nice, I have a couple Textones albums. $3 is a pretty good deal for one signed by the band.

I haven't bought any new (used) records in a while but I sure have been spinning them quite a bit. Was doing some woodwork in my listening room yesterday while spinning early Judas Priest -- the wife and kids were out of the house for the afternoon.
Old 11-24-20, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone had any Covid-casualties of their local record shops? I've had a few.

Gary's Record Paradise closed, but that's barely a blip on my radar. I've picked up a handful of records there, but never any rarities or exceptional deals.

Red Brontosaurus was in trouble, and a few weeks ago said if they didn't get $900 in sales that weekend they'd close for good. That's really not a lot, but I popped in anyway and got a couple of records for $25. The two people in front of me bought $40 and $80 respectively, so if they can get $140 in about 15 minutes, I'm sure they made their $900 minimum over the course of two days. They're still updating their Instagram page, and streaming live in-stores, so I guess they're ok.

The big loss though, was Jupiter. Although it's not so much a closing, as a merging. You see, Jupiter was the "bargain bin" of another store called Folk Arts Rare Records. Folk Arts is a nice shop, but it's quite cramped. Jupiter was massive. Folk Arts has decided to move into the Jupiter space. To make room. they've been selling off the Jupiter inventory for $14 "mystery boxes", which appear to be the size of those U-Haul boxes, so probably 50-60 records in each "mystery box". I guess whatever doesn't sell will be part of a bargain bin within the new incarnation of Folk Arts. I'm bummed of course, but I can also say over the last year I've been through the main rock-and-roll stacks several times and have gotten most of what I'd want. And I don't patronize Folk Arts as often, due to the cramped space that makes digging damn near impossible, so maybe this move will be for the better.
Old 11-24-20, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a few indie shops around here but none of them seem to be in distress. Not that I've seen or read any way.

My wife and I spent the weekend in Portland Maine and I hit up all the shops in the area of which there were about seven. I didn't buy anything; nobody had anything I really was looking for and new prices are so high right now it's hard to justify spending $80 on two new releases. Ugh.

I don't want to see any record shop close, but it's hard to give them cash when: 1. I don't have much of it because of all this Covid bull*shit, and 2. prices for things are so high.
Old 11-30-20, 10:37 AM

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

I went by my local store a few weeks ago and there was a sign on the door dated mid April saying that they were closing for 6 weeks. I mainly wanted some inner and outer sleeves and to look through their used stuff. But I checked their Facebook page and it seems that they are selling new releases for bands the owner likes (mostly southern rock and jam band stuff) through the mail. So I have turned to Amazon, Ebay, and Discogs for records, mainly cause I don't have a choice.

Last edited by flansered; 12-01-20 at 09:39 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.