Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I was able to snag 2 of 3 things, which I was not expecting. Only looking for the Farcryb3: Blood Dragon soundtrack now, and that might be a long shot, but extremely happy I got everything else I wanted.
Old 04-21-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bullmoose is getting slammed. Can't get anywhere.
Old 04-21-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to a local shop on Sunday and snagged the one title I really wanted: Type O Negative - Slow, Deep and Hard on 180G 2LP.
Old 04-21-14, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My store had a great RSD. The best we've had so far. Our first customer showed up at 7pm the night before. When I arrived at the store at 8am the line was already around the building and numbered over 50. We opened at 10am and there was a solid check-out line for about five hours. We had a lot of fun and sold about 90% of our RSD stock the day of. We started out with 14 crates of records and by days end were down to 2 crates.
Old 04-21-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
Bullmoose is getting slammed. Can't get anywhere.
Picked up 4-5 titles. Very cool sale.
Old 04-22-14, 12:27 AM

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid
What is the cheapest yet best quality way to start up a turntable listening station.

I've been following this thread (had vinyl in the past, shitty player tho), and will buy the Orbit U-Turn. However, I do not have a receiver nor a pre-amp (or anything else that must be needed). I have 5.1 logitech speakers with a sub that I am hoping I can use as speakers for the turntable. I spent time researching but am still in need of some help. What specific item recommendations would you guys make for someone on a budget who is willing to pay a bit more for higher quality. I'm not trying to break the bank but if it's worth it for the upgrade I'll do it. Recommendations?
I realize this may have gotten lost in the RSD posts. Just re-quoting because I'm still heavily interested and you guys seem very knowledgeable.
Old 04-22-14, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 993 Posts

I realize this may have gotten lost in the RSD posts. Just re-quoting because I'm still heavily interested and you guys seem very knowledgeable.
I have an Onkyo 705 that I use as my home theater receiver and it also has a built-in pre-amp, with the "Phono" selection, so you won't need anything else plugged in for playback. You connect it to the turntable and switch the Phono on the remote and you are set.
Old 04-22-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only (sadly) missed getting the Ghostbusters vinyl out of what I wanted. Here's one person who won't be back again next year:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/paul-weller-i...day-again-news
Old 04-22-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why Ghostbusters? I'm fascinated by the demand for this item.
Old 04-22-14, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend the Harmon Kardon 3490 amp (which is what I have). You can probably get one at a reduced price from Amazon Warehouse (which is what I did). Or you could spend some more and get the Marantz 5004. These are, I'd guess, popular ways to start since they have phono pre-amps built in.

Then you'll just need some decent speakers. Maybe go with PSB bookshelf speakers. I think Amazon has some decent bookshelf speakers. (I have Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers that I think are great - got them online somewhere).

You're looking at basically $300 for the amp and $300 for the speakers. That's not a bad deal, and it's very upgradable over time. And you could even buy it in stages.
Old 04-22-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Why Ghostbusters? I'm fascinated by the demand for this item.
I think mainly it's just for the glow in the dark vinyl, but it's also the 30th anniversary of the movie this year.
Old 04-22-14, 05:38 PM

Suppose nobody is able to get a copy of R.E.M.'s Unplugged for me?
Old 04-22-14, 11:04 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
Only looking for the Farcryb3: Blood Dragon soundtrack now, and that might be a long shot, but extremely happy I got everything else I wanted.
You and me both. Well, that and Death Waltz' The Bronx Warriors OST.
Old 04-22-14, 11:10 PM

Our area must've gotten very few. Did you head out on RSD at all?

Now I wish I would've picked-up The Glitch Mob album too...kinda blew that one, just wasn't on my radar.
Old 04-23-14, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I think mainly it's just for the glow in the dark vinyl, but it's also the 30th anniversary of the movie this year.
I've always been a huge fan of the Ghostbusters in general, so that's my excuse.
Old 04-23-14, 12:10 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
Our area must've gotten very few. Did you head out on RSD at all?

Now I wish I would've picked-up The Glitch Mob album too...kinda blew that one, just wasn't on my radar.
I did. I knew Electric Fetus would be insane, so opted for Roadrunner instead. I got there mid-morning so most things were already picked through but at least they had free pizza and beer.

BTW, a couple sellers on Amazon have the Far Cry Power Glove for < $50. Above retail, but quite a bit less than what you'll find on eBay.
Old 04-23-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Black
Suppose nobody is able to get a copy of R.E.M.'s Unplugged for me?
The only copy I saw in the three stores I went to was in the bag of the first guy out of the first store.
Old 04-23-14, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I did. I knew Electric Fetus would be insane, so opted for Roadrunner instead. I got there mid-morning so most things were already picked through but at least they had free pizza and beer.

BTW, a couple sellers on Amazon have the Far Cry Power Glove for < $50. Above retail, but quite a bit less than what you'll find on eBay.
I actually stood in line for the Golden Valley Down in the Valley early-on, so I ended up being first in line with my two buddies behind me. I also never really ended up going to bed after working 11 hours Friday and then going back in the middle of the night so I could participate in RSD....after DIV, my ass was dragging, so I never went back through the line. They handled it well though, three titles per person and four titles if you're a VIP club member. If you still happen to be looking for anything...they had TONS. Almost 14 crates and still had 8 left yesterday afternoon.

Thanks for the notice too, I had been checking religiously, but I think that guy accidentally posted it for that price...I certainly scooped it since it wasn't too much above retail. All of the other ones are back up to $100+. Now my wallet can sit and cry about how much I spent now that I've obtained everything I wanted.
Old 04-29-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got a bunch of RSD items I missed out in store from Bull Moose. Including in this was the Bozzio, Levin, Stevens album which has to go down as a top finalist in Worst Cover - Best Music awards.

I also got the Idle Race reissue LP and the 2013 RSD release of the Dazed and Confused soundtrack on "weed" green vinyl.
Old 04-29-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone's an Old 97's fan, they are doing something cool with the vinyl release of their new album, Most Messed Up, which came out today. They made 500 limited edition "Bootleg" copies of the album, in a plain white 'messed up' package and on orange vinyl, available at indie stores only. If you buy one, and post a picture of yourself with it on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, along with the tags #mostmessedup and #shopindie, you will be entered into a chance to win an autographed copy of the regular version of the album. More details below. Got my copy earlier, but haven't had a chance to spin it yet.

http://atorecords.com/old97s/mostmessedup/
Old 04-29-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found this vinyl downtown Portland the other day.

It's a prop from the upcoming Laika movie, The Boxtrolls, and they hid a few of these in a record store on RSD.
Old 04-29-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
If anyone's an Old 97's fan, they are doing something cool with the vinyl release of their new album, Most Messed Up, which came out today. They made 500 limited edition "Bootleg" copies of the album, in a plain white 'messed up' package and on orange vinyl, available at indie stores only. If you buy one, and post a picture of yourself with it on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, along with the tags #mostmessedup and #shopindie, you will be entered into a chance to win an autographed copy of the regular version of the album. More details below. Got my copy earlier, but haven't had a chance to spin it yet.

http://atorecords.com/old97s/mostmessedup/
Saw that. You can buy one here:
http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16323024/...-to-500-copies
Old 04-29-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Luckily, I got one at the real deal, as Bullmoose is my local store. As for anybody else, they only got a handful, so order from them quick, or check your local indie if you want get one.

Great album! The band at their beer drinking, hell raising, raucous best. No ballads and a hell of a good time.
Old 05-01-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts

http://blog.mondotees.com/2014/04/29...re-soundtrack/
A friend of mine showed me that. I might try and snag one as it's one of my favorite Williams scores.
Old 05-06-14, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The upcoming Jack White sounds pretty insane.

Originally Posted by Pitchfork
Jack White's bag of tricks seems to be bottomless. For the release of his forthcoming album, Lazaretto, rather than putting out a conventional vinyl record, he's worked with his Third Man Records label to create what's being called an "Ultra LP." According to Third Man's website, here's what that entails:

- 180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the outside in
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink” depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.