Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Ok-I am back buying vinyl again.

Just ordered:
Fleetwood Mac's GH
CCR 20 GH
Eagles GH 1971-75

I need recommendations for my next 100 dollar spending on LPs.

Interested mostly in classic rock but can basically listen too anything except rap and country & western.
My recommendation? Stop buying Greatest Hits collections. Like, Fleetwood Mac. Why not get S/T, Rumours, Tusk, and Mirage? You'd have pretty much all the Greatest Hits songs, and a lot more that didn't make the cut. Rumours is a top notch album beginning to end, practically a greatest hits collection in and of itself.

I just rarely get GH collections because the songs are overplayed. I love getting an album, hearing songs that weren't big hits, and wondering why the hell those songs weren't released as singles too.
Old 08-30-18, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok-I am back buying vinyl again.

Just ordered:
Fleetwood Mac's GH
CCR 20 GH
Eagles GH 1971-75

I need recommendations for my next 100 dollar spending on LPs.

Interested mostly in classic rock but can basically listen too anything except rap and country & western.

I agree about not trying to focus on Greatest hits, although sometimes they are a nice vinyl add such as CCR Chronicle or Bob marley legend or Steely Dan Bob Ludwig mastered 2 LP.

A fun idea is to pick your way through the Top 100 List of the RS guide as a starter, a great way to get into vinyl and albums you might have missed along the way:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...l-time-156826/

https://www.discogs.com/lists/500Gre...g-Stone/140759

here's a few of my faves from this top 100 list:
Kind of Blue - miles
Sgt pepper's (or any beatles album)
Nevermind - nirvana
love - forever changes
dusty in memphis - dusty springfield
Morrison Hotel - the doors
Rumours - f mac
Who's next - who
LZ (any albunm really)
Ramones, or rocket to russia
The band (RL version)
any ccr album
any rolling stone album pick a favorite
pink floyd - dark side
boston - wally version
almman bros - live at fillmore east
simon and garfunkel - bridge over troubled water
jimi hendriz - pick a fave
evlis presely - any fave
moondance - van morrison
graceland - paul simon
neil young - pick a fave, harvest, gold rush, decade is excellant also usually his reissues are top notch
the clash - london calling
otis redding - otis blue
bruce - born to run
elton john - goodbye yellow brick road
elvis costello - this years model
Old 08-30-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Is there anything out there on vinyl that is out of print on the other formats making it a little more valuable?

I still don't know why laserdisc wasn't converted over to a music format rather than vinyl because for one you could fit more songs on it plus two more audio tracks plus you could add music videos or interviews where with vinyl you are very limited to 30 minutes a side and you would need another disc if it's longer than 60 minutes.
Old 08-30-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Is there anything out there on vinyl that is out of print on the other formats making it a little more valuable?
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but the Beatles MONO vinyls are OOP, and while a few of them are still available, most of them are gone and fetching high prices, especially Pepper and the full box set. These are really nice releases, as, unlike the stereo re-masters, they are FULL analog masters, taken from the original master tapes, and the vinyls are pressed by the best vinyl pressing plant in the world, Pallas, in Germany, and they also have nice, "tip-on" outer sleeves, like they used to make in the '60s. You really can't do any better - and of course, it's The Beatles.
Old 08-30-18, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the question either. Obviously, there are a ton of vinyl records that were never released on any other format. One of them (since the person who asked just bought Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits) is the early 70s record Buckingham/Nicks.

If you're talking about OOPs on other formats (but generally this means OOP on vinyl too, of course), a lot of 80s records got one run of CD and that's it. To be honest, that's what got my interest in vinyl going again, luckily just a few years before it hit big. There were a lot of 80s CDs I wanted, but the prices were ridiculous due to the OOP nature. I went to one of the only used record stores (at the time), and the guy had a ton of 80s records in great shape all at around $4-6 each. That's what finally inspired me to get a decent turntable and really start getting back into vinyl like I was in the 80s.
Old 09-02-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Maybe you guys will appreciate this little story.

I've recently been on a Cars kick, after seeing them on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction show. I'd already had Candy-O (which in itself is one of the prides of my collection, as I bought it a few years ago, a 1979 Columbia House pressing, but still factory sealed), and at some used stores picked up Panorama and Shake it Up fairly cheap. Wasn't in a major hurry to get the first record, since I already had it on CD.

Anyway, last week I was at another favorite used store, and they had a copy for $6. Looked in ok shape, figured it was worth it. Drop the needle on it, and dead silence before the Good Times Rolled. Now, if any of you are collectors of older records, you know that a 40 year old record is gonna have a bit of noise on it. I even looked at the back cover to make sure I hadn't picked up a recent re-issue or something. Nope, original 1978 copy. It's all the more impressive when you consider that everyone had this record back in the day, so any copies you find in a junk shop have probably been played at parties, brought to high school, lent to friends to make a tape copy (c'mon, who didn't do that?), had coke snorted off of the jacket in college, etc. But no, this was just CLEAN.

I even went back to the store to thank the owners, and they said that that record in general always sounds really good due to the production and pressing. So, if you're even a casual fan of The Cars, buy a copy and give it a listen. I mean the original release, not the digitally re-mastered re-issue.
Big Cars fan here, have two copies of the S/T debut and they are great, but the new remasters of 2-5 are fantastic. Bonus tracks (speed issues aside) are great and I highly recommend them.
Old 09-04-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

and that brings us to the great conundrum of vinyl collecting: Originals vs re-issues.

I collect vinyl for the MUSIC, not because it's the rare third pressing with the typo on the back even though the record itself is exactly the same (caveat: I did pick up another copy of the Bangles' first EP at a thrift store recently when I saw it was the original Faulty Products release and not the IRS re-release). Re-issues are almost always digitally remastered, and while they're remastered at a higher sample rate than what you get on CD, it's still digital and not true analog.

Problem is, most of those true analog original releases sound like shit 'cause they've been played on shitty turntables hundreds of times. So I end up getting the digital remasters anyway, 'cause analog or digital, I'd rather not hear a bunch of pops and scratches.

That's why that Cars S/T was such a noteworthy purchase for me I felt the need to post about it; it's true analog audio the whole way, and it sounds friggin' amazing. I was at another used store a few weeks ago where someone picked up a copy of the same record before I had a chance (which irked me at the time), then asked to listen to it on the store's sound system and it wasn't all that good. So in the end it all worked out for me.
Old 09-06-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another thing: US Releases vs Imports

What's out there which makes the imports more valuable?

I noticed that Elvis Presley has some imports listed at ImportCds and I was wondering if these are any different recordings than he made in the US?

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 09-06-18 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-06-18, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another thin: US Releases vs Imports

What's out there which makes the imports more valuable?
Japanese imports are really nice - they take great care in mastering, pressing and especially the sleeves. But they can be super expensive.
EU pressings are usually nicer than US pressings, as they tend to be pressed at the better pressing plants in Germany, like Pallas.
Some US release are also pressed at Pallas but then brought over and released here, so they're not "imports", but they're just as nice. It's just hard to know before you open it up.
Old 09-06-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few questions:

Why wasn't Fooling included in the Def Leppard double greatest hits LP?

What's the most requested LPs per decade?

What's the most requested greatest hits LP?

Any artist(or group) that has yet to put out a greatest hits(in any format) but are thinking of one on LP?

Currently(per decade) what the most valuable $$$ (original recording or re-issue) that's available now?
Old 09-06-18, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, you really dig Greatest Hits collections, don't ya?

I kid, I kid. I don't get too hung up on imports vs. domestic, unless they're substantially different. One classic example of that is the first album by The Clash, where there's a FIVE song difference between the two. If you're a Clash fan, it's required to have both editions. Neither is "better", but if you only have one or the other, you're missing out. No way would I not want Protex Blue (on the import), but I also gotta have I Fought the Law, White Man in Hammersmith Palais, and Jail Guitar Doors (only on the domestic)
Old 09-06-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's usually tough to tell if a vinyl has been mastered fully analog from original master tape (unless it says so on the label), but if you wanna guarantee that a vinyl record will most likely be sourced digitally and sound like shit, get a greatest hits record.
Old 09-06-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, you really dig Greatest Hits collections, don't ya?

I kid, I kid. I don't get too hung up on imports vs. domestic, unless they're substantially different. One classic example of that is the first album by The Clash, where there's a FIVE song difference between the two. If you're a Clash fan, it's required to have both editions. Neither is "better", but if you only have one or the other, you're missing out. No way would I not want Protex Blue (on the import), but I also gotta have I Fought the Law, White Man in Hammersmith Palais, and Jail Guitar Doors (only on the domestic)
Unless it's one of my favorite groups most cd's or any format has a lot of crap and a few good songs.

Off hand, maybe the Beatles had 6 or 7 good songs per recording and if everyone else is lucky they might have 3 or 4 hits per recording.

I just listened to U2 Best of (1980-1990) and side 4 had a lot of songs that probably weren't greatest hits but tape filler.
Old 09-07-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless it's one of my favorite groups most cd's or any format has a lot of crap and a few good songs.

Off hand, maybe the Beatles had 6 or 7 good songs per recording and if everyone else is lucky they might have 3 or 4 hits per recording.

I just listened to U2 Best of (1980-1990) and side 4 had a lot of songs that probably weren't greatest hits but tape filler.
Wow. I could not possibly disagree more. Actually, strike that. I do agree that most records have a lot of crap and a few good songs. But I find that the "crap" are the hits, and the good songs are the ones not deemed "radio friendly" and thus do not become singles. Perfect example of this is The Police, who I was never a big fan of till I started listening to Outlandous d'Amour and there were so many songs better than Roxanne.
Another example: Pretenders' first album. I was familiar with Brass in Pocket, a good but not great song. Heard it a million times though. The album wasn't on my radar. Finally bought it one day and drop the needle on Precious. Holy shit. Starts out seemingly innocuous, but that's a song that builds and builds until Chrissie Hynde snarls "Not me baby, I'm too precious, FUCK OFF!" And so many other songs on that record that rock way harder than Brass in Pocket. Tattooed Love Boys, which I believe was rejected by the #metoo movement as a theme song, and the out-and-out explosion of The Wait.

None of those great songs would be on a Greatest Hits album. You're free to buy what you want, but I'd be depriving my ears of some fantastic music if my collection was primarily GHs
Old 09-07-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want too get that large Rolling Stones box set. 20 LPs containing actually 16 with 4 being double LPs.

I wish the price would go down.

I just paid 90 bucks for Rolling Stones Grr Blu-ray Audio.

Also would like too see Bride of Chucky soundtrack on Lp since it looks like it's OOP on CD(or close too it).
Old 09-09-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a website that lists LP's and CD's(from whenever they started to present day).
Old 09-09-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can try Discogs.
Might be a bit overwhelming, but you can narrow things down pretty easily.
Old 09-09-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't know if you can accurately track every release since recorded music began. Too many genres, too many formats (even within vinyl, you have LPs, EPs, singles, extended singles, 7", 10", 12", 33 1/3, 45, 78) too many self-released editions, etc.
Old 09-10-18, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Announcing a limited edition run of Rust in Peace, pressed on blue 180-gram vinyl and available exclusively through through The Sound of Vinyl.
Old 09-11-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do vinyl records expand after playing?

I am playing the large Stones studio set(1971-2016) and not one of the LPs will fit back in their paper sleeves after playing. Very frustrating. They could have used some more wiggle room.

At least each LP comes in a plastic sleeve also(which is cool). But like I said,they can shove their tight paper sleeves up their asses.

Still haven't seen the redemption card (for downloading).
Old 09-11-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I just got Carach Angren's "Dance and Laugh Amongst the Rotten" in the mail. I was surprised that it was a two disc set mastered at 45 RPM, because the listing on Amazon made no mention of this at all and said it was a single disc. It's a really nice package with a gatefold sleeve and everything, but it's a pain in the ass to switch my turntable to play at 45 RPM, so I'm a little bummed.
Old 09-12-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know there's been questions asked about "most valuable" vinyl. While I think that's too broad a question, one thing that's definitely a rarity worth seeking out is movie soundtracks that feature songs that do not appear on any other release. One of my favorites (and highly sought-after) is The Last American Virgin. While there's some 80s standards like Whip It, De Do Do Do De Da Da Da, and Shake it Up, it also features Teen Angel Eyes by Tommy Tutone (not on any of their albums) and Better Luck Next Time by Oingo Boingo (the same).
This summer I got a soundtrack to a movie I've never heard of, Get Crazy, because of unreleased songs by Sparks, The Ramones, Marshall Crenshaw, Lou Reed, and Fear. Gave it a listen last night, and while it's good to have those songs, they're REALLY "new wave-y", even The Ramones. Kinda see why it wouldn't be on any of their albums. Not because it's a bad song, but it really doesn't fit on a Ramones record.
Old 09-17-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had one of those bizarre coincidences over the weekend.

Friday night, The Movie Channel was rerunning their "Splatterday" features, where they have two horror movies they show back-to-back several times over the course of the night. Sometimes it's real good where they've shown The Brood and Rabid, other times it's crud like Jackals. This past weekend they showed the 83 slasher The House on Sorority Row. There's a power pop band playing in the party scene, and I was curious as to who it was. IMDb tells me it's a DC outfit called 4 Out of 5 Doctors.

Saturday I decided to pay a visit to Reanimated Records, a fairly new shop that's not in an area of town I go to very often, but I was free of commitments (rare for me on Saturday). It's a really cool store, big vinyl selection, lots of movies on DVD and Blu, and even a heavy selection of laserdiscs. Good stuff too, a lot of Elite horror movies (which were kind of the best of the best in that genre for that format).
Anyway, one of the records they had was the debut LP by the aforementioned power pop band. It really is one of those lucky accidents because I would have gone right by it had I not seen House on Sorority Row the night before. Also odd in that the store is very dedicated to obscure horror but the owner was unaware of the connection.
Old 09-17-18, 03:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I know there's been questions asked about "most valuable" vinyl. While I think that's too broad a question, one thing that's definitely a rarity worth seeking out is movie soundtracks that feature songs that do not appear on any other release. One of my favorites (and highly sought-after) is The Last American Virgin. While there's some 80s standards like Whip It, De Do Do Do De Da Da Da, and Shake it Up, it also features Teen Angel Eyes by Tommy Tutone (not on any of their albums) and Better Luck Next Time by Oingo Boingo (the same).
This summer I got a soundtrack to a movie I've never heard of, Get Crazy, because of unreleased songs by Sparks, The Ramones, Marshall Crenshaw, Lou Reed, and Fear. Gave it a listen last night, and while it's good to have those songs, they're REALLY "new wave-y", even The Ramones. Kinda see why it wouldn't be on any of their albums. Not because it's a bad song, but it really doesn't fit on a Ramones record.
Letting you know I added this LP to my wantlist. I too have never heard of the movie (shocking, since it's right up my alley as a kid of the 80s). Listened to several songs online, plus I'm a sucker for 80s movie soundtracks.
Old 09-17-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Letting you know I added this LP to my wantlist. I too have never heard of the movie (shocking, since it's right up my alley as a kid of the 80s). Listened to several songs online, plus I'm a sucker for 80s movie soundtracks.
Curious as to what you think of it when you find a copy (I actually got two. The first was at Comic-Con, where I first encountered it. Did not take a good enough look at the vinyl itself, and when I got home I found it was warped to shit. Unplayable. But I HAD to have this record now, so I found a playable copy on Reverb.com, and for half of what I paid the Comic-con dealer. D'oh!)

When I posted last week, I'd only heard the first side. Very new wave-y, as I said. The second side dials down the synth-pop quite a bit, as it's all live (I'm guessing the movie ends on a concert scene). Fear is the highlight, as their "Hootchie Cootchie Man" could easily fit in on The Record or The Decline of Western Civilization.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.