Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

NIN Discussion Thread [part one]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

NIN Discussion Thread [part one]

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-05, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No lyric book in any edition, not sure about vinyl, content is viewed on computer when disc is verified with NIN.com, liner, artwork, is then downloaded in pdf form.

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I was kind of disappointed to not have a lyric booklet/liner notes with the Dualdisc. Does the regular cd version come with this? It says something to the effect of "For complete information, visit nin.com," but I didn't see anything there.
Old 05-03-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by TripWire
No lyric book in any edition, not sure about vinyl, content is viewed on computer when disc is verified with NIN.com, liner, artwork, is then downloaded in pdf form.
Well, that's a rip. One big reason why I buy music, rather than just download it, is to get the artwork. It helps to justify the cost. So now I pay regular price for a disc and if I want to have that I have to print out a sub-par copy myself? I really hope this doesn't start another terrible industry trend, like releasing a deluxe edition a few months after a disc's standard release.

That being said, I still bought the DualDisc today.
Old 05-03-05, 01:30 PM

Yea I understand..I mean I would still buy it for the 5.1 mix and such.
He just got fed up supposedly with having to confine artwork to a cd package since it is a format that doesn't lend well to what he wants to portray. Or...could just be cutting costs.

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Well, that's a rip. One big reason why I buy music, rather than just download it, is to get the artwork. It helps to justify the cost. So now I pay regular price for a disc and if I want to have that I have to print out a sub-par copy myself? I really hope this doesn't start another terrible industry trend, like releasing a deluxe edition a few months after a disc's standard release.

That being said, I still bought the DualDisc today.
Old 05-03-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, that's understandable. The heady days of vinyl album artwork are long gone. The RIAA's not making it any better by eating up more precious space with their anti-piracy warning label. It reminds me of when Bill Watterson ended Calvin and Hobbes because of the ever-shrinking space he was allotted on the comics page.

Even though I understand that reasoning, I still don't see why there couldn't be a comprise, like putting artwork with the CD and making it available online. Some artwork is better than nothing and you'd get to see it in all its glory. Or maybe it is a cost cutting measure, like you speculated.
Old 05-03-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by warcp
Heard the Ghostbusters/ Hand that Feeds mesh?
http://www.gameamp.com/thingsthatroc..._feeds-256.mp3
I am silly on the floor laughing at this. It's actually a pretty good song like this!! This is just great.

What's very funny is Ghostbusters itself a rip of Huey Lewis' I Want A New Drug!! Trent, say it ain't so!! Where your cover of Heart of Rock & Roll?
Old 05-03-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Got my copy [with bonus sticker] this morning at Circuit City. It does suck about the lack of art/booklet, but, damn, does it sound good in 5.1 -- and I love the video too.
Old 05-03-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Just picked it up. I don't give a shit about artwork so no dissapointments there (although I do actually like the tight packaging and bare bones look)

I love this album and I think NIN has once again broke into new ground (it's amazing how much shit you miss on a low quality recording).

Trent's voice is still fucking dead on - this guy will be singing forever.
Old 05-03-05, 07:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

the 5.1 surround sound is blowing my ass away at the moment. great album as well.
Old 05-03-05, 07:59 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, the 5.1 mix is great.

Excellent album as well. A little mellow for NIN, but a refreshing change of pace IMO. Especially after The Fragile which I didn't care much for, too much fiiller and instrumental stuff for me.
Old 05-03-05, 08:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
It's already been said, but the 5.1 mix is stellar. It's very obvious that a lot of work was put into it, rather than the "one instrument per speaker" mixes I've heard.

Now, when can we expect a 5.1 release of The Fragile?
Old 05-03-05, 09:38 PM

Trent's answer about the packaging.
Link
Old 05-03-05, 09:58 PM

I just got the Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth dualdisc. The cd side will play in my car and my Pioneer 563A. But the pioneer plays only part of the dvd side. It recognizes it as a dvd-a, and all the visual stuff works. But both stereo and surround versions do not output any sound, just the visuals. When i play the music video in surround, it plays fine.
Is there any hope of hearing the album in 5.1. All my other dvd-a's and sacd's play fine, never had a problem.
Thanks
Tim
Old 05-03-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just picked this up. What can I say I'm really digging it. It's great to hear Trent's voice again, he's an amazing vocalist. I'll be seeing him in Soma and I can't fucking wait. Only listened through once so far but I'm certainly pleased with what I'm hearing, moreso then I was with The Fragile I think.
Old 05-03-05, 11:43 PM

Hmm, are you playing out of the 5.1 analog jacks or the digital audio...most sacd dvd-a will only allow you to play out of the analog jacks.

Originally Posted by Tim Travis
I just got the Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth dualdisc. The cd side will play in my car and my Pioneer 563A. But the pioneer plays only part of the dvd side. It recognizes it as a dvd-a, and all the visual stuff works. But both stereo and surround versions do not output any sound, just the visuals. When i play the music video in surround, it plays fine.
Is there any hope of hearing the album in 5.1. All my other dvd-a's and sacd's play fine, never had a problem.
Thanks
Tim
Old 05-03-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally listened to this tonight, start to finish - something I haven't done for any other album in a long time. Wow. I love it. It's only been one listening, but my initial impression is that I like it better than The Fragile. The AMG review brings up a point that I agree with: "Quite frankly, this is the record that NIN should have released if Reznor had wanted to capitalize on the success of The Downward Spiral."

Now I really want to get a 5.1 setup.

Link
Thanks for the link. It's good to hear from the horse's mouth, even though I still don't totally agree with him. A PDF file is great for those that get the album from iTunes or somewhere like that (in fact, all artists should do that for downloaded albums), but I still think that those that purchase the physical CD shouldn't be required to have internet access to get the liner notes and lyrics.

And I had to snicker when he wrote "when's the last time you really were impressed with a CD package?" When I read that I immediately thought about how cool the packaging for the Broken CD was and, to a lesser extent, The Downward Spiral.
Old 05-04-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Picked this up this afternoon and was listening to most of the day at work. I quite like it. I was one of those people who didn't care too much for The Fragile. While the music isn't as intense as Broken or Downward Spiral, it is still a pretty gloomy album. Good stuff.
Old 05-04-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm, are you playing out of the 5.1 analog jacks or the digital audio...most sacd dvd-a will only allow you to play out of the analog jacks.
My receiver just recognizes the surround part of the DVD Side as PCM. I don't know if I'm getting 5.1 or not. I thought this was supposed to be Dolby Digital.
Old 05-04-05, 12:32 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Link
hmm... that raises one question from myself (which I will hopefully be able to answer myself; that is, if my vinyl copy of With Teeth arrives this week).

Will the vinyl release have the lyrics and production information included? I'd like to think that the answer is "yes", because he talks about his love of the vinyl format in comparison to CDs. Unfortunately, my gut is telling me that the vinyl packaging will practically be the same as the CD (just... bigger).
Old 05-04-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In an interview a few months ago he also complained about how cheap and flimsy booklets are. He goes on to complain that the printing isn't very good. So to counter that he releases an extremly flimsy package and expects us to print out some silly poster on our home printers which are bound to look five to six times cheaper than what he could have provided us with. Not to mention that most people, unless I'm behind on the times, don't have a printer capable of making one large 27x40 inch poster. Time to get the Scotch tape out. He sits there and looks back on the old days and talks about how smaller compact disc's ruined artwork so he goes ahead and ruins it some more. I checked out the Acrobat file and found it irritating to navigate since you have a limited view on the screen. You can zoom out but then you can't read anything. Any time I get a nice, thick, colorful booklet with a compact disc I am impressed. I was very happy with The Fragile packaging but this is insulting. And as far as encouraging piracy, I think he succeeded as one of my friends, who was dead set on buying this yesterday, is having second thoughts and may not bother.

Last edited by DarthMarino; 05-04-05 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-04-05, 10:32 AM

Totally disappointed in the packaging. It doesn't even feel like an album. The packaging looks and feels like some cheap single. Has anyone heard how the packaging for the Japanese edition will be?
Old 05-04-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got my copy (dualdisc) last night at Best Buy for $6.99. Some furniture store had it on sale for $6.99 and the girl at the BB checkout did a price match for me. Kick ass.

The 5.1 is freaking sweet.
Old 05-04-05, 03:16 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Will the vinyl release have the lyrics and production information included? I'd like to think that the answer is "yes", because he talks about his love of the vinyl format in comparison to CDs. Unfortunately, my gut is telling me that the vinyl packaging will practically be the same as the CD (just... bigger).
I believe your gut is correct. http://www.nin.com/with_teeth is the booklet for all of the releases.
Old 05-04-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The track "Only" is my favorite. Reminds me of something off of Pretty Hate Machine, but produced and recorded differently. It'll probably end up getting a lot of radio play, I better enjoy it now before it oversaturates and I start to hate it, hehehe.
Old 05-04-05, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Leechboy
Totally disappointed in the packaging. It doesn't even feel like an album. The packaging looks and feels like some cheap single. Has anyone heard how the packaging for the Japanese edition will be?
the Japanese packaging is the same with the exception of the obi strip and a Japanese language lyrics sheet. the packaging issue has been addressed by Trent himself and had it been up to him we'd have seen a much more elaborate package. i was disappointed at first but at the end of the day A. there's not much you can do about it and B. the idea of online pdf files (and the prospect of future files) is an interesting one.

the packaging, to me, does not look or feel cheap nor does it look like a single. when was the last time you saw a double fold digipak single printed on the matte side of heavy cardboard stock? the closest thing i can think of was the TDTWWA single and that was only a single fold. i'm just glad he didn't say 'fuck it' and put it in a jewel case. that would have been truly disappointing.
Old 05-04-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by darqleo
The track "Only" is my favorite. Reminds me of something off of Pretty Hate Machine, but produced and recorded differently. It'll probably end up getting a lot of radio play, I better enjoy it now before it oversaturates and I start to hate it, hehehe.
Same here (on the pretty hate machine comment). Only is damn good tune and I dig the weird vocals

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.