Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

NIN Discussion Thread [part one]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

NIN Discussion Thread [part one]

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry but how exactly do you get the PDF with the lyrics? I saw on nin.com that you can get it if you bought the album, but I doesn't say where!
Old 05-09-05, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

put the cd in your cd drive and go to http://www.nin.com/with_teeth
Old 05-09-05, 06:06 AM

Thanks. It is still a little hard to read any of them...they are both too big.
Old 05-09-05, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I hope so, but i'm also hoping for two things:
  1. Do it for artists/albums that deserve it. C'mon...Usher?...Jessica Simpson?
Yes, would be nice, but Usher has sold 99 billion records this last run, so the industry is going to put up with releasing his stuff in as many formats as it can. I'm not too sure about Jessica Simpson - they probably just wanted a pretty face on a Dual Disc.
Old 05-09-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
  1. They cut out this "dual" shit and release 'em as separate discs.
  2. Do it for artists/albums that deserve it. C'mon...Usher?...Jessica Simpson?
Yeah, unfortunately the ones who don't deserve it are already on board.
Old 05-09-05, 10:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i'm still amazed at how the 5.1 just makes the music sound so much better. great album non the less, but listening to it in 5.1 instead of an ipod or in the car....just totally changes the experience
Old 05-10-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Still ROTFL at the 'straight up hard rock album' comment

Wow people are going to pay to print that PDF??
Have you looked at it? It looks like ass.
Great album though.
Old 05-10-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. They cut out this "dual" shit and release 'em as separate discs.
  2. Do it for artists/albums that deserve it. C'mon...Usher?...Jessica Simpson?
They were released as separate discs.
Old 05-12-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In case anyone else came across it, the Pioneer 563A and i think the newer 578 have problems playing this and a few other dvd audios that have come out recently. I guess Pioneer will replace the firmware or a specific chip for us owners depending on which firmware we already have. Might be free, I'm going to check into it. Otherwise, the DD stream plays fine on my player. This would explain why I could never play Greendale as well.
Old 05-12-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by porieux
They were released as separate discs.

Allow me to clarify, since it seems you didn't get it...Instead of making a "dual" disc, where the DVD's content is on one side and the CD is on the other, make each disc separate - similar to the recently released Revenge Of the Sith CD/DVD combo.
Old 05-12-05, 06:33 AM

Has anyone attended two shows in the same city? How different are the set lists day to day? I've been a fan forever but making the second show without missing a good portion of it will be extremely difficult but if there is a good variety of a set list then I'll do what I can.

I'm very happy with the new cd, especially--"Only" / "Every Day Is Exactly The Same" and "All The Love In the World".

I love have the album mixed in 5.1 though I do miss the booklet, even if they could give the poster in a fold out form that would have been fine with me. I feel like paying for the cd offers me to no advantage with this format. Besides, I think the Downward Spiral is one of the most interesting booklets/artwork ever made for a cd--so I doubt anything Trent could come up with would dissappoint me in the art department.

I would love another "Broken" though. That whole disc is absolutely perfect when you're in the mood to kill someone. Though if you're not careful, you might actually do it.

I hope the Fragile gets a 5.1 release and Closure on DVD. I can't believe it's still being tied up in a legal mess.

Six days to NIN at the Electric Factory.
Old 05-12-05, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Self Destruct
Has anyone attended two shows in the same city? How different are the set lists day to day? I've been a fan forever but making the second show without missing a good portion of it will be extremely difficult but if there is a good variety of a set list then I'll do what I can.
Here's a forum that has reviews of the shows and they post the set lists.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbb...forum.php?f=17
Old 05-12-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another guy at echoingthesound's message boards posted individual jpg's of each songs lyrics so that they can be made into a booklet. Instead of spending $27 on the poster, I just went ahead and made a booklet myself with the jpgs.
Old 05-12-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just want to add--this could become my favorite NIN album. It's Reznor's best songwriting in 11 years and I couldn't be happier with it. I've been playing it often, and I must find a way to see the band live. (Current favorite track--Love Is Not Enough.)
Old 05-13-05, 03:45 AM

I just heard two of the bonus tracks from the import. Home (a song they've actually been playing at some of their shows) is good, and Right Where It Belongs (Version 2), which I think I may like more than the original.
Old 05-13-05, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ergyu
In case anyone else came across it, the Pioneer 563A and i think the newer 578 have problems playing this and a few other dvd audios that have come out recently. I guess Pioneer will replace the firmware or a specific chip for us owners depending on which firmware we already have. Might be free, I'm going to check into it. Otherwise, the DD stream plays fine on my player. This would explain why I could never play Greendale as well.
I have a 563A, do you have any other info, links to where you saw this?
Old 05-13-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sirgey
I have a 563A, do you have any other info, links to where you saw this?

I searched Echoing the Sound and found a link to the Home Theater Forum (I think that's the site) where a buncha people were having problems playing Neil Youngs Greendale and Becks El Gaucho as well as some others. I guess depending on the build date, your player either needs a firmware upgrade or an IC replacement, which is why they require that it be sent to an authorized repair center. I didn't find out where I'm supposed to send mine yet, as I don't know if it's worth my trouble yet.
Old 05-13-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
Still ROTFL at the 'straight up hard rock album' comment
I seriously think he meant it at NIN's level and not how you're taking it.
Old 05-13-05, 09:10 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rival11
I seriously think he meant it at NIN's level and not how you're taking it.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Not that it is a hard rock album, but it's very close to one for NIN and not a wandering, electronic, lots of instrumental mess like The Fragile.
Old 05-14-05, 12:06 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
received my Japanese import today...

Home is a great track. It's too bad it's not on the regular release (ie: I wish I could hear it in 5.1)
Right Where it Belongs v.2 is far superior to the album-version, as it has a "lighter" mix to it, and it doesn't have that silly "audience noise" in it.
The Hand That Feeds (Ruff Mix) is quite different from the album-version. More heavy on the guitars and drums. The first time I listened to it, I kept hearing the regular mix in the back of my head, but now, after a few listens, I appreciate it as its own version of the song.

All in all, if you're a fan of alternate versions of songs, be sure to pick up this import.
Old 05-17-05, 09:23 AM

Right Where it Belongs v2 basically sounds just a stripped down demo, it's delicate and such and has it's place, but I think I like the synth in the original version and the vocal effect in the mix.

So, who has seen em live? I was at the hammerstein show Monday, Awesome show, you have to see the new setup. Mr. Icarus Line, is all over the stage and jumping around and falling into people and things when playing guitar, twiggy still looks pretty scary, and trent looks ripped, he's like mr. muscular pissed off weightlifter now. The set was kinda greatest hittish, one song off the fragile, even deeper, the rest was the standard setlist with a few new's mixed in. Something screwed up with the drum loop in Line Begins to blur and he stopped the song got pissed and started throwing stuff and yelled how roadies were going to get fired, but then restarted a couple minutes later and all was good. There was a lot of water bottle throwing and they trashed the stage at the end of the set. Lighting was awesome, of course not as good as fragility tour, but basically a scaled down version of that. Dresden dolls weren't too bad either.

Pinion intro
1. Wish
2. Sin
3. Line Begins to Blur
4. March of the Pigs
5. Something I Can Never Have
6. The Hand That Feeds
7. Terrible Lie
8. The Collector
9. Closer
10. Home
11. Burn
12. Reptile
13. Suck
14. Even Deeper
15. Love is Not Enough
16. Gave Up
17. Hurt
18. Getting Smaller
19. Starfuckers
20. Head Like a Hole
Old 05-17-05, 12:28 PM
Retired

Wow, that's an awesome setlist IMO. Could use a few more obscure songs, but most of the songs I'd want to hear are on there.

Glad to see they're not going too heavy on the new album like a lot of bands do.
Old 05-17-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Reznor: Manager Duped Me Into Bad Contract

Trent Reznor testified yesterday (May 16) in New York against his longtime manager, saying he was stunned to learn in 2003 that despite millions of dollars in earnings by his band, Nine Inch Nails, he was left with as little as $400,000 in cash.

"I felt I had an accountant I couldn't trust," he said in his federal civil lawsuit against John Malm. Reznor contends that his former friend duped him into signing a contract that allowed Malm to collect 20 percent of the singer's gross earnings rather than net earnings.

A lawyer for Malm, Alan Hirth, said in an opening statement that his client worked many years for no salary and kept nothing secret from Reznor. "Of the millions upon millions upon millions that Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails made, the vast majority went into his [Reznor's] pocket," Hirth said.

Reznor testified he trusted Malm more than anyone in his life when he agreed to let him handle his finances in the 1980s as the band signed its first record contract. "John was the business guy, and I was the guy working for nothing in the studio," Reznor told jurors.

He said the pair created their own production company and managed sales of merchandise but the expenses piled up, draining large portions of the millions of dollars the band earned with its albums and concert tours. He admitted he ignored his finances and sometimes signed documents without reading or understanding them.

Reznor said he began to grow worried about finances when he was told during a meeting with Malm and a lawyer in 2002 that there was "cause for alarm."

The following year, he said, he asked Malm to tell him how much money he had. He said he was sent a financial statement that revealed he had at most $3 million in total assets and as little as $400,000 in cash.

billboard.com
Old 05-17-05, 03:33 PM
Retired

That really sucks.

But you really need to be responsible for your finances. Just because you hire someone to do it (even a friend) doesn't mean you shouldn't be heavily involved in keeping track of what's going on and investment decisions.
Old 05-17-05, 04:11 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, I have great respect for Reznor's musical talent, but in regards to his finances, he done did it to himself!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.