Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

NIN Discussion Thread [part one]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

NIN Discussion Thread [part one]

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
Just bought the new single from iTunes. A little to poppish for my tastes. I'm digging the absence of a drum machine though
I see what you're saying, but I actually welcome it. Pop sensability has it's place even in music that isn't 'pop'. It's what lets something like 'Climbing Up The Walls' on Radiohead's 'OK Computer to work well, as you're rescued from the ugliness and chaos of it by the structure and beauty of 'No Surprises' right after.

So it might feel better to you in the context of the record as a whole. Hopefully we'll all be happy come May.
Old 03-26-05, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
It's so nice to see a 6 (so far) page thread on Nine Inch Nails. Ummm . . . FUCK YEAH!!

With that said, The Hand That Feeds is a little poppy. But, as a friend of mine said, unrelated to NIN, mentioned 'when did pop music become bad?'
I gave the obvious answer of Good Charlotte, Ashlee Simpson, etc. While they have given a bad name to 'pop' music, 'popular' music is not a bad thing. The new single is going to be popular. It's catchy, radio friendly, and 6 YEARS IN THE MAKING!!

True, Trent apparently had some troubles getting here (becoming sober, label issues, moving), but this will be a fun album. Yeah, fun. Fun usually is not how someone would describe Nine Inch Nails.

Long story short, I'm ready. Bring on the new album. Bring on the 5/3 and 5/4 concerts. I'll be bringing some NIN virgins, and I don't think they will be disappointed.

FUCK YES!!
Old 03-30-05, 08:13 PM

I like the new single. Straight forward rock. Nothing fancy.

It's just nice to get some decent new music again......

Now if I could just get tix to a live show!
Old 04-06-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SHIT. I missed the Dallas one.
Old 04-13-05, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard the single today. What the hell happened to Nine Inch Nails? Looking forward to hearing more, but I'm a little worried.......
Old 04-13-05, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
I heard the single today. What the hell happened to Nine Inch Nails? Looking forward to hearing more, but I'm a little worried.......
you have nothing to worry about. for the record, i'd like to say i like The Hand That Feeds but i can understand how someone could hear it and be frightened by what they hear. sure, it has a pop element to it but i think it works for what it is. with that said, 5 new tracks (4 album tracks and 1 bside) have leaked so far and the other 4 sound much less pop oriented.

the latest track to leak, Right Where It Belongs, is fucking amazing. words cannot do it justice.

this cd cannot arrive too soon.
Old 04-13-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's impossible for every Nails fan to be pleased with the new stuff. They'll just have to deal. Speaking for myself, I think this could be Reznor's strongest work in 11 years based on what I've heard. I am of the general opinion that NIN is actually stronger when it goes toward the more 'accessible' side of the spectrum.

I was and still am very underwhelmed by The Fragile although there are a few good tracks in that bloated mess. With Teeth seems like it will be a huge step back into stronger directions for the band.
Old 04-14-05, 12:31 PM

Looks like the new NIN cd has been leaked already. Wonder if they will push up the release date.
Old 04-14-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Has anybody else listened to it yet? I think it's alright, I actually liked the tracks that were most dissimilar to his earlier stuff (Getting Smaller, Only). The whole CD is way more accessible than The Fragile though.

I just can't believe it takes him 5 years to come up with songs that sound just like the ones he wrote 15 years ago.
Old 04-14-05, 04:10 PM

Listening to it for the third time now.
Honestly, it's really refreshing. I can just listen to it and enjoy it, a lot more stripped down earlier NIN stuff, though I love the Fragile also, this is nice to hear something different.

I think this album kicks ass, I'm very happy with it. Standout tracks for me are All the love in the world and right where it belongs..cause I am in a chilled out mood.

I don't think it took him a 5 years to write these songs, from his interviews it almost sounds like he camed up with this stuff in the past year just writing new demos and such. The other 4 years was the whole failure and rehab shit I suppose.

Originally Posted by Meatpants
Has anybody else listened to it yet? I think it's alright, I actually liked the tracks that were most dissimilar to his earlier stuff (Getting Smaller, Only). The whole CD is way more accessible than The Fragile though.

I just can't believe it takes him 5 years to come up with songs that sound just like the ones he wrote 15 years ago.
Old 04-14-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TripWire
The other 4 years was the whole failure and rehab shit I suppose.
Can you explain the whole failure and rehab situation?
Old 04-14-05, 06:57 PM

This interview explains a lot...
Link

Originally Posted by Zodo
Can you explain the whole failure and rehab situation?
Old 04-14-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for the link. I was curious about that, too. Funny how I can't picture him mountain biking and skiing. Glad he's in a better place now, though.
Old 04-14-05, 09:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
So, I found where to download the album, but there seems to be a part missing in the second song, You Know What You Are. If anyone here feels like sharing the song (I've got all the rest), that would be fantastic. e-mail to [email protected] (remove whatthe)

Thanks in advance. (I'm still buying the CD, DualDisc, Japanese CD, and Vinyl versions)
Old 04-14-05, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Meatpants

i had expected to like this cd. i loved The Fragile when it came out and still do, unlike a lot of people for whatever reason. i hadn't been disappointed so far so i figured why should it start now. then i downloaded this cd....and was completely FUCKING BLOWN AWAY!! i had heard a handful of the songs already but they really take a new dimension when heard as a cd and not individual songs. i'm really excited to see the packaging and liner notes for this disc and hear some remixes (heres hoping to some versions of Only, Everyday Is Exactly the Same, and Right Where It Belongs).

as Trip already said, most of these songs came about rather lately after the original batch were scrapped or put on the backburner.

FYI: in an interview recently Trent said that about half of the songs for the next record are already "done" and that he wants to finish it very quickly, possibly within the year. once i find the link i'll edit to add it.

Edit: HERE is the link for that interview. assuming you can't read German like me, scroll down to the two video links. very good interview, found in two parts.

Last edited by WestEndRiot; 04-14-05 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-15-05, 10:40 AM

Official preorder page is up
Link

I am getting the dualdisc with picture disc, the shirt is $20 and kinda plain, I will wait to see what else comes as merch.

Standard: $11.99

Dualdisc: $13.48

Standard + T-Shirt: $31.99

Dualdisc + T-Shirt: $33.48

Dualdisc + T-Shirt + Picture Disc: $41.47

DualDisc + Picture Disc: $21.47

Standard + Picture Disc: $19.98
Old 04-15-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Thanks for the headsup, TripWire
Old 04-15-05, 10:54 AM

No problem..
but damn just noticed shipping is a bit high..
Standard shipping (Arrival after the release date) $7.64

So...I am basically having to wait past the release date and paying shipping fees to get the Picture Disc extra...decisions, decisions...I will have to ponder this further.

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Thanks for the headsup, TripWire
Old 04-15-05, 04:19 PM

Well, after two listens I can say that this is probably my favorite NIN album. While with other albums there were songs that I thought were GREAT while other songs were just OK, on this album every songs seems to be consistently really good.

My favorite part of the album when listening to it for the first time came at the point on "Beside You in Time"
Spoiler:
right before it got to the part that had been used in the short promo video on the web site. I had thought that sample was awesome, and I could tell by the way the song was starting to sound that that part was coming up.

Not sure if that needs a spoiler, but I'm glad I didn't know it was coming when I first heard it.

It looks like I'll be getting the dual disc and shirt come may.

Last edited by SomeVoices; 04-15-05 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-15-05, 07:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
No problem..

So...I am basically having to wait past the release date and paying shipping fees to get the Picture Disc extra...decisions, decisions...I will have to ponder this further.
you say that like you think you have a choice...

I'd order the picture disc if I could, but being in Canada (that site doesn't ship here), I'm out of luck.
Old 04-15-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow... this album was definitely worth the wait... I'm a so psyched now for the concert (not that I wasn't before...but i was worried if the new album was shit....you know)... I can't wait to hear these songs in 5.1 on the dual disc version that i'll be sure to pick up on release day...

MATT
Old 04-16-05, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Wow... this album was definitely worth the wait... I'm a so psyched now for the concert (not that I wasn't before...but i was worried if the new album was shit....you know)... I can't wait to hear these songs in 5.1 on the dual disc version that i'll be sure to pick up on release day...

MATT
Yeah, I'm seeing them at Coachella, but now I'm contemplating picking a ticket up on ebay just to see them in a smaller venue.
Old 04-16-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So psyched about May 30th... Gonna catch NIN at Soma with 3 of my friends
Old 04-16-05, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
"A bit high"? Shipping for the tshirt, PD & dualdisc is close to $10! And that's to get it possibly after the release date. Not only that, but i'd prefer to get just the PD & the tshirt since i'm sure CC or BB will most assuredly have it on sale when it's released..

Did the LE digipacks come out yet? If so, where'd ya get it?
Old 04-16-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Found the album and on my god, "Right where it belongs" is the next power ballad. Can only hope it is what closes the setlist on the upcoming tour.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.