Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

NIN Discussion Thread [part one]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

NIN Discussion Thread [part one]

Old 05-17-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Yep, I have great respect for Reznor's musical talent, but in regards to his finances, he done did it to himself!
Yeah. Haven't todays musicians learned anything from the mistakes of their peers in the past?
Old 05-17-05, 11:34 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts
update (in case anyone was curious):
the vinyl version of With Teeth, like the CD and DualDisc versions, does not come with a lyric book or anything "different" other than Home being included. I wasn't really expecting lyrics, but I thought it was possible since TR mentioned how CDs ruined "album art". Ah well.
Old 05-17-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
... so now we know why Trent didn't want any kind of booklet on this album and made up a dumb reason for it... He needs [all] the money [he can get].
Old 05-24-05, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ergyu
In case anyone else came across it, the Pioneer 563A and i think the newer 578 have problems playing this and a few other dvd audios that have come out recently. I guess Pioneer will replace the firmware or a specific chip for us owners depending on which firmware we already have. Might be free, I'm going to check into it. Otherwise, the DD stream plays fine on my player. This would explain why I could never play Greendale as well.
The process is pretty straightforward. I have a 563A that's a couple of years old and I just called Pioneer's warranty number and explained that DualDiscs wouldn't play in it. They sent me a letter telling me where to bring my player. The repair place was about 15 minutes from my home. Brought it in, they popped in a firmware upgrade DVD and a minute later it was reprogrammed with the latest firmware. Too bad they won't let you just download the firmware upgrade off the internet because the process was idiotproof. I understand Pioneer has extended the warranty in regards to firmware on the 563A and there was no charge for the update.
Old 05-26-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NIN, QOTSA To Make Touring Team

Nine Inch Nails have chosen Interscope labelmates Queens Of The Stone Age to open their fall North American arena tour. The itinerary will be announced early next month, according to NIN's official Web site, and will most likely not begin until mid-September. Sources say a third band may join the bill, but that a final decision has not been made.

NIN will wrap its current North American run with Dresden Dolls June 2 in Mexico City. International festival and headlining dates are on tap through August. QOTSA will follow a similar path, completing a North American tour June 4 in Auburn, Wash., and then heading to Europe through late August.

The Trent Reznor-led NIN has returned to the top of the charts thanks to "With Teeth," its first album since 1999. Save for a headlining slot at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, the first batch of North American dates have been held in theaters and large ballrooms and have done big business at the box office.

Although only five shows have been reported to Billboard Boxscore, four were sell-outs, drawing more than 99% of venue capacity.

As for QOTSA, the group recently shot a video for "In My Head," the second single from its latest album, "Lullabies To Paralyze." First single "Little Sister" is No. 17 in its 19th week on Billboard's Modern Rock chart.

"Lullabies To Paralyze" will be released on vinyl June 28 with three, as-yet-unidentified bonus tracks. QOTSA's official Web site is also dropping hints about a DVD that will be tentatively released in November.

"We're still looking at what that could be, because we have so much archival footage," QOTSA frontman Josh Homme told Billboard.com earlier this year. "We allow people to tape and video our shows, so we have compiled stuff from the fans. We're kind of looking at this mountain of information and going, 'Uh...' We have this whole future too, with the lineup as it is now, and all these new songs. I think we're going to do something massive that incorporates all the way from the beginning. But there's so much stuff, so it's going to take awhile."

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 05-27-05, 09:40 AM

Is there a fanclub or email list I have to sign up for to get pre-sale info? I can't find anything on www.nin.com.
Old 05-27-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reznor Nails MTV, Bails on Gig

The Nine Inch Nails ringleader unexpectedly canceled a long-planned performance at the 2005 MTV Movie Awards ceremony next week, due to a disagreement with the network over the use of a President Bush backdrop.

"Nine Inch Nails will not be performing at the MTV Movie Awards as previously announced," the 40-year-old rocker says in a statement on NIN.com. "We were set to perform 'The Hand That Feeds' with an unmolested, straight forward image of George W. Bush as the backdrop. Apparently, the image of our President is as offensive to MTV as it is to me. See you on tour this fall when we return to play in America."

In its own statement, the Viacom-owned MTV responded to the abrupt move.

"While we respect Nine Inch Nails' point of view, we were uncomfortable with their performance being built around a partisan political statement," the net says.

"When we discussed our discomfort with the band, their choice was to unfortunately pull out of the Movie Awards."

MTV says the Foo Fighters would sub for NIN at the show, which tapes in Los Angeles June 4 for broadcast June 9.

(Ironically, Foo frontman Dave Grohl is a friend of Reznor's who played drums on several tracks on NIN's recently released With Teeth and actively supported Senator John Kerry's failed presidential bid.)

MTV and Viacom suits may have been spooked by the potential firestorm unleashed by Reznor singing such lyrics as "There's a price to be paid for the blood on which we dine/Justified in the name of the holy and the divine" in front of a super-sized President Bush.

Aside from his political hard line, Reznor made headlines recently by testifying in his lawsuit against his ex-manager. Reznor sued John Malm for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, alleging he was duped out of millions.

Reznor spent the better part of his 40th birthday May 17 defending his assertion that Malm ripped off the rocker while Reznor was partying and not paying attention to the state of Nine Inch Nails' finances. Reznor claimed that as recently as 2003, he had less than $3.5 million in total assets and just $400,000 in cash despite selling more than 20 million records worldwide.

Malm, meanwhile, has filed a counterclaim contending Reznor actually owes him $2 million in commissions.

With Teeth, Reznor's first post-Malm studio release, and first new music in six years, debuted atop Billboard's Hot 200 earlier this month and is number 12 this week. "The Hand That Feeds," the first single off Teeth, is the number one song on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart for the second week in a row.

[YAHOO]
Old 05-27-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Perhaps if he added some "bling"...?
Old 05-28-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Perhaps if he added some "bling"...?
No shit, what a joke (on MTV's part).
Old 05-30-05, 08:57 PM
Banned

This is not a threadcrap, but this album is maybe a 5/10 at best for me. Better than The Fragile? Well, what isn't better than that "masturpiece." I do have to point out that "The Collector" is one of the worst tracks I've heard from Reznor. I erupt into laughter when I hear the line "I pick things up. I am a collector."
Old 06-01-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

update:

Reznor Awarded $3M In Management Suit

A New York jury awarded Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor $2.95 million after finding his former manager breached his contract and acted fraudulently.

The jury delivered the verdict Friday against John Malm, Reznor's longtime manager, said attorney Zia F. Modabber. The award likely would top $4 million when interest is added.

Modabber said he called Reznor, who is on tour, with the news. "He was almost silent at first. It's still sinking in," Modabber said. "It's been a difficult thing for him in a lot of ways. They were very, very close friends." A lawyer for Malm did not immediately return a call for comment.

The civil verdict came after a three-week trial in which Reznor testified that he was stunned to learn in 2003 that despite millions of dollars in earnings, he was left with as little as $400,000 in cash. "I felt I had an accountant I couldn't trust," Reznor testified.

The artist sued Malm, contending he duped him into signing a contract that gave Malm 20 percent of his gross earnings rather than net earnings, and let Malm collect the commission forever.

A lawyer for Malm, Alan Hirth, said in an opening statement that Malm worked many years for no salary -- and kept nothing secret from Reznor.

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 06-01-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
update:

Reznor Awarded $3M In Management Suit

A New York jury awarded Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor $2.95 million after finding his former manager breached his contract and acted fraudulently.

The jury delivered the verdict Friday against John Malm, Reznor's longtime manager, said attorney Zia F. Modabber. The award likely would top $4 million when interest is added.

Modabber said he called Reznor, who is on tour, with the news. "He was almost silent at first. It's still sinking in," Modabber said. "It's been a difficult thing for him in a lot of ways. They were very, very close friends." A lawyer for Malm did not immediately return a call for comment.

The civil verdict came after a three-week trial in which Reznor testified that he was stunned to learn in 2003 that despite millions of dollars in earnings, he was left with as little as $400,000 in cash. "I felt I had an accountant I couldn't trust," Reznor testified.

The artist sued Malm, contending he duped him into signing a contract that gave Malm 20 percent of his gross earnings rather than net earnings, and let Malm collect the commission forever.

A lawyer for Malm, Alan Hirth, said in an opening statement that Malm worked many years for no salary -- and kept nothing secret from Reznor.

[BILLBOARD.com]

Eh, it always ends with "who ya gonna believe"