Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 687 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Starz

A young woman has 24 hours to make the most important decision of her life: whether or not to keep an unplanned pregnancy.

I liked this indie comedy and Alex Trewhitt is a smokeshow and hope she gets more work in movies and TV shows and should be a up and coming star
Old 10-04-23, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts

Old 10-04-23, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
I see a blue guy and someone with a flaming head. Is this a movie about Hindu gods?
Old 10-05-23, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 392 Likes on 325 Posts

It Lives Inside (2023)

While it isn't an awful film by any means, Director/Writer Bishal Dutta's film is a disappointing one, especially with the solid cast.

Themes such as assimilation and the stresses of 2nd generation children (of immigrants) are fascinating pieces of connective tissue that Dutta too often pivots away from to delve into generic Horror tropes.
Old 10-05-23, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw X (2023)

While it has pacing issues during the tail-end of the film, this might be one of the most enjoyable Saw films in quite a while.

Focusing the near entirety of the film on Tobin Bell was an absolute treat, as the franchise became a bit convoluted with its spiraling series of antagonists during its middle entries.

Returning to a more simple film (similar to the first 3 entries in the franchise) was also a fantastic choice and different than the approach of later films in the series.

The traps were disgusting and felt fairly in-line with John Kramer working generally with what was available to him (with moderate suspension of belief).
Old 10-05-23, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 218 Posts

The Wandering Earth 2 (2023) - Prime

Old 10-05-23, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

97 Minutes Hulu
Old 10-05-23, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HDNET Movies

A magazine editor (Helen Hunt) undergoes an unexpected sea-change when she follows her college-dropout son (Brenton Thwaites) to the beaches of Los Angeles.

Maybe I saw this before but if I did now I know why I don't remember.

It does not help it has such a generic title when there are a thousand movies called Ride.

Her son was such a a annoying douche in this movie.
Old 10-05-23, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon Prime

Old 10-05-23, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TUBI

Old 10-06-23, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

K-Movie - Ballerina (2023) - Netflix

Old 10-06-23, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,158 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I see a blue guy and someone with a flaming head. Is this a movie about Hindu gods?
Gotta be a Marvel movie. /s
Old 10-06-23, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 242 Posts

Talk To Me Lionsgate/A24 Blu-Ray
Sophie Wild. Directed by Danny and Michael Philippou. 2023
When a group of friends discover how to conjure spirits using an embalmed hand, they become hooked on the new thrill, until one of them goes too far and opens the door to the spirit world.

Going in, I didn't know this was an Australian film, and I eventually turned on the subtitles so I could pick up more of the casually delivered dialogue.
"Talk to Me" bears a surface resemblance to any number of "Teens invoke The Supernatural" films, but it has its own identity, more like "It Follows" than "Truth or Dare". It plays out as more a collection of gruesome scenes than following a clear-cut playbook. And that's what I found both good, and frustrating about it. There are scenes of graphic Horror that have real impact but there were many times where the rules weren't clear, and the characters were too ambiguous. Some people want their Horror films to fit a predictable through-line, and "Talk to Me" keeps things a little more off-balance. The picture quality of the disc is quite attractive.
Old 10-06-23, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-07-23, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gorgo Vinegar Syndrome 4K
Bill Travers, Wm Sylvester. Directed by Eugene Lourie. 1961
Greedy sailors capture a giant lizard off the coast of Ireland and sell it to a London circus. Then its mother shows up.

I remember as a child going shopping downtown with my mother one day and she bought me a comic book, -a 25 cent double-size issue at that! -which featured adaptations of the "B" movies "Konga" and "Gorgo". I read that book to tatters. It was my first encounter with the art of the legendary Steve Ditko.
"Gorgo" is a giant monster movie that was often included in the movie packages that ran on local stations during the days before cable. It has nice performances from the lead actors and a bit of a heart. The 4K package from VinSyn serves it well, though a few scenes are over-saturated with color, and the increased resolution exposes some particularly janky matte work that's endemic to the print. There's a load of nice bonus features, particularly an enthusiastic commentary from "Swamp Thing" artist Stephen R. Bisette.
Old 10-07-23, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Black Adam (2022)

Old 10-07-23, 07:48 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

Rosemary’s Baby
The Exorcist

…absolute master classes in film making.
Old 10-07-23, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I own this

Pacino was chewing up the scenery.

Too bad they could not get somebody better to play Keanu's role.

Maybe the movie would have reached another new level if Matt Damon, Russell Crowe, Edward Norton, Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt. Sean Penn, or McConaughey played Kevin Lomax

Back in the old days of 1997 when stars like Theron and Connie Nielsen would remove their clothes in a movie.
Old 10-07-23, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 731 Likes on 438 Posts

5/5
I like it just as much as the original with Ahnuld.
Old 10-07-23, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,232 Likes on 960 Posts

The Town That Dreaded Sundown- didn’t know this was based on true events and that the actual killer was never found. Pretty good movie. Some creepy scenes and I went in expecting it to be a horror movie but it’s really more of a crime drama with some horror elements.

Casper- this has held up really damn well. More than a typical movie made for kids and has a lot of heart. Good cast overall and some funny moments along with some that tug at the heartstrings. Also I didn’t remember at all that Dan Aykroyd has a small cameo as Ray from Ghostbusters.
Old 10-08-23, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,158 Likes on 708 Posts

Solace (2015) - a thriller about a couple of police detectives (Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Abbie Cornish) who enlist the aid of a psychic (Anthony Hopkins) to track down a serial killer. I knew nothing about this movie, but saw it available on Prime and because of the cast decided to give it a watch. It's very derivative of previous serial killer movies/tv shows, and feels very low-budget and DTV. The actors are good, though, and I was surprised to see a couple of actors that I hadn't seen listed in the synopsis:
Spoiler:
Colin Farrell plays the serial killer, but he doesn't actually show up on screen until 2/3 of the way through. Farrell is a great actor, but he doesn't have much to work with here, character-wise. The other surprise was Janine Turner playing the estranged wife of Hopkins' character, but she is only seen in one brief scene at the very end.

Old 10-08-23, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw X Theatrical
Tobin Bell. Directed by Kevin Greutert. 2023
Set between the events of Saw I and II, a sick and desperate John Kramer (AKA "Jigsaw") travels to Mexico for a risky and experimental medical procedure in hopes of a miracle cure for his cancer—only to discover the entire operation is a scam to defraud the most vulnerable. Armed with a newfound purpose, the infamous serial killer returns to his work, turning the tables on the con artists in his signature visceral way through devious, deranged, and ingenious traps.

I'm a big fan of the "Saw" films; I've seen them all in theaters and have them all on blu-ray or 4K. I find them more narrative-driven than most Horror franchises. This is a good entry with a tremendous performance by Tobin Bell, who's given a lot more to do this time. Tobin's 81, and his rather frail appearance lends poignancy to his portrayal of a dying man. I wish the director had a little more visual flair, but I got what I wanted from it.

Last edited by DWilson; 10-08-23 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-08-23, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Caine Mutiny Court Martial Showtime 2023
Jason Clarke, Keifer Sutherland. Adapted and Directed by William Friedkin 2023
Barney Greenwald (Clarke), a skeptical lawyer, reluctantly defends an officer of the navy who took control of the Caine from its captain, Lt. Philip Francis Queeg (Sutherland), while caught in a violent sea storm.

I've seen the 1954 version of the film with Humphrey Bogart several times. I didn't realize they were setting this in the current day, which somewhat changes the temper of the piece. It's more of a stage play then the film, set almost entirely in the courtroom. The behaviors and incidents that brought about the "Mutiny" are related and discussed rather than shown as in the film and left to the viewer's interpretation. This version also allows Jason Clarke's lawyer to be a more of a focal point than Sutherland's character, who isn't allowed to chew as much scenery as I anticipated. The film ends with a punchy and well-written scene nicely directed for maximum impact; however, the character on the receiving end of the scene's vitriol is barely present in this version of the story and it seems like something was missed.
Old 10-08-23, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lake Mungo (2008)

Director Joel Anderson's commitment to the mockumentary format is well-executed but ultimately makes the film incredibly monotonous.

Even so, its 88-minute run-time contains solid performances from its cast and a plethora of interesting ideas.
Old 10-08-23, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Red Spells Spell Red (1983)

Although Director Titus Ho's film doesn't reach the highs of similar films (The Boxer's Omen), it still remains an absurd and wild ride for genre fans.

It's also worth noting that there is more animal cruelty than you can shake a stick at, so beware if you are going into this film blind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.