Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 09-24-23, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 198 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Expend4bles

I was surprised at how much of a "Jason Statham Movie" this turned out to be; I figured he'd have a more limited role like Stallone and let the supporting cast do the heavy lifting because of budget or schedule considerations. The plot with its twists and turns is pretty transparent and there's an egregious amount of "green screen", but I found it just entertaining enough. I'm not planning on buying the 4K, though.
Old 09-24-23, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Past Lives Lionsgate Blu-Ray
Greta Lee, Teo Yoo. Directed by Celine Song. 2023
Nora and Hae Sung, two deeply connected childhood friends, are wrest apart after Nora's family emigrates from South Korea. 20 years later, they are reunited for one fateful week as they confront notions of love and destiny.

Another A24 film that successfully avoids convention. As this was billed as a "Love Story", I was expecting something much more melodramatic and unavoidably cliched. Instead the film is a thoughtful, intelligent look at the lives of three people and the complicated way they relate to each other. The director wrote the script from her own experiences and she creates very specific individuals and situations, yet there were aspects I certainly could identify with. I must admit there was a moment near the end where I thought the story might let me down, but it didn't.
Old 09-24-23, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. Lionsgate Blu-Ray
Abby Ryder Fortson, Rachel McAdams. Directed by Kelly Fremon Craig. 2023
When her family moves from the city to the suburbs, 11-year-old Margaret navigates new friends, feelings, and the beginning of adolescence.

Honestly, I never read the book (Big Surprise!) and the film was never really on my radar, but I heard such positive word-of-mouth I decided to give it a try.
It's a pleasant film, with engaging characters, and familiar situations. Fortson as "Margaret" is very natural in the lead, and this is my first time seeing McAdams in a harried "Mother" role. Kathy Bates gets a nice showcase as Margaret's Grandmother. It leans a little harder into Melodrama as it builds to an ending, but, overall, I really enjoyed the film.
Old 09-24-23, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Bikini Drive-In (1995) — Typical T&A comedy where the latter element was tough to sit through, but at least the ladies' are great. There's barely (no pun intended) a plot here and very little if any conflict, but watchable at least. If anything, it did make me nostalgic for the drive-in theater... Nothing I'd ever revisit. **/***** (Blu-ray)
Old 09-24-23, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,117 Likes on 879 Posts

Watched a couple more of the Universal Monster movies last night.

The Mummy (1932)- this one actually really surprised me. Liked it a lot. Good storyline with some tragic elements. Creepy atmosphere. I only wish we had seen more of Imhotep wrapped up as The Mummy.

The Wolf Man (1941)- not bad but maybe not my favorite that Iíve seen so far. Iconic character but the storyline wasnít my favorite.
Old 09-24-23, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 211 Posts

K-Movie - I Saw the Devil (2010) - Amazon Prime

Old 09-24-23, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 591 Posts

The Man With The Golden Gun (1974) - This is Roger Moore's second outing as Bond. This one is director Guy Hamilton's fourth and final Bond film. It takes place largely in southeast Asia (Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand). It starts with a suspenseful sequence in the island lair of international assassin Francisco Scaramanga (played by Christopher Lee) as he toys with his prey in a funhouse operated by his diminutive henchman, Nick Nack, played by Herve Villechaize (Fantasy Island's 'Tattoo'). The title song and opening credits are not particularly noteworthy. The beautiful Maud Adams (who would return to the franchise later in Octopussy) and the very sexy Britt Ekland make for memorable 'Bond girls.' There is also a brief scene with a hot Asian woman who (while swimming nude in a pool) introduces herself as 'Chew Mee', prompting an arched eyebrow from Bond.
The silliness that would characterize Moore's Bond movies is on full display here. Scaramanga is known for having a third nipple, which is seen on Christopher Lee early in the movie, and Bond dons a prosthetic extra nipple when he poses as Scaramanga later. There's a fight scene at a martial arts school, and Bond is rescued by a friendly cop and his two young nieces who cartoonishly kick the asses of dozens of bigger guys. We also have the return of the blowhard Louisiana sheriff from the previous movie--here he's on vacation with his wife and runs into Bond by accident. He's supposed to be comic relief, I guess.
The action in this movie isn't all that great by Bond standards, with one exception. There's an amazing "corkscrew" car jump across a river that, apparently, was successful on the first take. Unfortunately, the cool stunt is diminished by the 'comedic' sound of a slide whistle in the score.
I'd rank this one a notch or two below Live and Let Die. It's a fun watch at times, especially for the aforementioned supporting cast and the characters they play, but not among the best of the series.

Old 09-24-23, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round Kino Lorber Blu-Ray
James Coburn. Directed by Bernard Girard. 1966
James Coburn stars as Eli Kotch, who obtains a parole from prison by having an affair with a female psychologist. Eli's plan upon getting out of jail is to rob a bank at the L.A. International Airport.

The film depends primarily on the wide-mouthed charm of James Coburn, which is considerable. However, the caper at the center of the plot proceeds so leisurely that it was hard to maintain any interest. Noted for one of Harrison Ford's first on-screen roles, as a bellboy.
Old 09-25-23, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Last House on the Left (2009) — Pretty good suspense-thriller-horror with Sara Paxton, Aaron Paul, Garret Dillahunt and Tony Goldwyn giving fine performances. Can't say it was exactly 'entertaining' given the SA scene but seeing them get their comeuppance was. I've never seen Wes Craven's 1972 original so I don't know how it compares, but thought it was alright, just won't revisit outside of watching with the new commentary track on the Arrow Video release. ***ĺ/***** (4K Ultra HD)
Old 09-25-23, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Poison a.k.a. Thy Neighbor's Wife (2001) — As erotic thrillers go, this one is kind of ho-hum though Kari Wuhrer is smoking. Also her motivation to infiltrating the family was a bit weak and kind of reminded me a bit of Poison Ivy. As it is, it's okay with plenty of T&A however seems this came at the tail end of the erotic-thriller era of that flourished in the 1990s. **ľ/***** (DVD)
Old 09-25-23, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 506 Likes on 316 Posts

Had a John Wick-a-thon yesterday and watched all four flicks. I also watched the Scream BDs of Pumpinhead, The Blob and My Bloody Valentine to see if I really needed to upgrade to the UHD versions. I don't.
Old 09-26-23, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Truman Show Amazon Prime 4K
Jim Carrey. Directed by Peter Weir 1998
An insurance salesman discovers his whole life is actually a reality TV show.

I probably haven't watched "The Truman Show" since the laserdisc days. It's more of a Dystopian SF film than I remembered, and I was reminded of Terry Gilliam's "Brazil". It's also a bit more obvious than I recalled, and I found some of its intentional kitschy-ness somewhat cloying.
Old 09-26-23, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 674 Likes on 556 Posts

I bet Wes Bentley wants to delete this from his IMDB page
Old 09-26-23, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It has Beck Bennett who must like playing meathead jocks and Kyle Mooney two former SNL castmembers.
Old 09-26-23, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix

It had some laughs or chuckles though not a must see
Old 09-26-23, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson

The Truman Show Amazon Prime 4K
Jim Carrey. Directed by Peter Weir 1998
An insurance salesman discovers his whole life is actually a reality TV show.

I probably haven't watched "The Truman Show" since the laserdisc days. It's more of a Dystopian SF film than I remembered, and I was reminded of Terry Gilliam's "Brazil". It's also a bit more obvious than I recalled, and I found some of its intentional kitschy-ness somewhat cloying.
Did you rent or buy it on 4K media?
Old 09-26-23, 09:34 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

This movie was hard to watch and I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
Old 09-26-23, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Did you rent or buy it on 4K media?
It's free for the next few days, -end of the month, I guess, -if you have Amazon Prime.
Old 09-28-23, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 268 Likes on 223 Posts

Abominable - Tubi. Actually pretty good with some gnarly gore and towards the end the film’s special effects artist who also has a role is killed in quite a disgusting manner.
Old 09-28-23, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 997 Likes on 711 Posts

Coffy

Old 09-28-23, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 09-28-23, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 211 Posts

K-Movie - The Childe

Old 09-28-23, 08:01 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Waiting for Godot 1961. I think this was the version I saw from Channel 13 out of NYC as an impressionable youth. Not quite the same as a cynical old man since it's been stolen from, parodied, etc but still an "enjoyable" watch.

Old 09-28-23, 08:15 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Coffy

One hates to be racist but when she pulls the razor blade out of her Afro is awesome.
Old 09-28-23, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"A pimp in the ghettos of the Bronx, N.Y., dreams of a better life for herself and her girlfriend. She soon gets caught in a fierce battle when she comes face to face with a rival who runs an even more dangerous game."

Second time I have watched this

I think it is the best role Keke Palmer has done so far in her career and she was great in this and her girlfriend was hot and Vanessa Morgan the stripper she falls for another smokeshow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.