Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

L.A. Story (1991) — Quirky and off-kilter romantic-comedy that shines thanks to Steve Martin's unique delivery and some weird humor that involves an omnipresent freeway billboard. Seen this one a few times over the years and still holds up; just an easy-going movie. ***¾/*****
Old 11-09-21, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by JANK
Check out the book it is based on "Roadside Picnic" by Arkady & Boris Strugatsky - it's a fascinatng premise and original story. It makes more sense of the movie. There is also a history of the Tarkovsky's film, one in that the original with more special effects was lost/destroyed and he had to do a 'do-over', which is much more toned down.
I was going to say, "It helps to have read the book." It's very loosely based the book, but at least the book explains the background.
The following users liked this post:
JANK (11-11-21)
Old 11-09-21, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Wages of Fear (D: Clouzot). Desperate men are hired by a ruthless oil company to deliver a ton of nitroglycerine through three hundred miles of bad road in South America. An entire hour is spent describing the characters and their situation before the trucks start rolling, which wouldn't be included in a thriller today, but I think it was time well spent. Mrs Danger actually got jumpy from the tension of the second half. The movie left me all wound up, and I won't be able to go to bed very soon.

Remade as Sorcerer by William Friedkin.
Old 11-10-21, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Race with the Devil (S: Peter Fonda, Warren Oates). The guys and their wives are on vacation in a new RV. They accidentally see a human sacrifice by a satanic cult. The cult pursues them wherever they drive. It's packaged in a double-bill with Crazy Larry, Dirty Mary, but it's a superior movie. This is one of those rare well-written horror movies in which the characters never make those stupid choices which only exist to advance the plot.

Yeah I dig this one and just watched it a few months back.

Old 11-10-21, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Friedkin Uncut Showtime Anytime App or Showtime On Demand

Good documentary on Director William Friedkin covering his most noteworthy films, and ignoring some of the lesser ones. He's well in his '80s now and not so much the "Hurricane Billy" he was as a younger man, but he still remains firey and opinionated.

I saw that last week and it was good. I did not know he was a big Opera fan.

I hope he has some movies or still wants to direct since he is a one of a kind talent.
Old 11-10-21, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

It was ok for a Tue night as a time killer but would not recommend.

Cricket Brown the woman who played the lead needs acting lessons though she bears a strong resemblence to Brit Marling.

Old 11-10-21, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Reminiscence (2021) — Kind of a hollow grounded sci-fi film noir mystery yarn that features decent performances from Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Ferguson and Thandiwe Newton but the story wasn't terribly compelling and never quite believed the relationship between Jackman and Ferguson. Kind of ran out of steam early on and spent the remainder of the time not exactly interested in the mystery elements. I don't know, wanted to like it but highly doubtful I'd ever want to revisit. **¾/*****

It looked like it had some cool visuals but it was kind of a lame forgettable movie though Ferguson in that red dress was nice to look at.
Old 11-10-21, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was ok but would not buy or watch again

there are other female assassin movies (Point of No Return and Anna) that were a lot better than this
Old 11-10-21, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Michael Jackson’s This is it (2009) - I thought I was going to see MJ perform in concert but it was just some backstage rehersaling junk. And for nearly 2 hours too - zeh. 1/5.

The Choirboys (1977) - Now, here’s a little gem I just discovered. It’s like the Police Academy series but with an even meaner and nastier streak. Sensitive/SJW type of people will surely be offended but I love every moment of it. 4/5.
Old 11-11-21, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Mortal Engines - Pleasantly surprised! Super eye-candy CGI action (I streamed in 4k) with a plot that was both derivative and engaging. Cool characters, great action, nifty ideas and just overall fun. 4/5
Old 11-11-21, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see why Larson, Murphy, and Hammer flocked to this movie and Scorsese was the executive producer?

Was he doing a favor for a friend?

It was funny in the beginning but then became boring and could not wait for it to end.
TheMovieman (11-12-21)
Old 11-11-21, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cinemax

I saw it was featured in a episode of Eli Roth's History of Horror and decided to check it out.

The special effects don't hold up

It was not bad though not great either but nice seeing a young Blair Brown naked. She was a hottie back then.

The guy with the Southern accent was chewing up the scenery.

I imagine they could do a reboot today with updated special effects or CGI.
Old 11-11-21, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix streaming

This got horrible reviews and I enjoyed it and did not see the twist coming but wow that really changed the whole movie and it was not as generic as I thought it would be.
Old 11-12-21, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Cinemax

I saw it was featured in a episode of Eli Roth's History of Horror and decided to check it out.

The special effects don't hold up

It was not bad though not great either but nice seeing a young Blair Brown naked. She was a hottie back then.

The guy with the Southern accent was chewing up the scenery.

I imagine they could do a reboot today with updated special effects or CGI.
The "southern accent" was Charles Haid, who had a long run in "Hill Street Blues" and then went on to be a TV director. There was a lot of BTS drama with the film, generally involving the film's writer, the infamously contentious Paddy Chayefsky (the film was based on his novel). The story goes that he had a deal that they had to read every single line he wrote, so they were just trying to get it all in anyway they could. The legendary Dick Smith was the make-up man, and he introduced the air bladder effects that would later turn up in "The Howling" and "American Werewolf" and were over-done in some lesser films. This also introduced William Hurt as the lead who was perfect for the role.

Last edited by DWilson; 11-12-21 at 10:45 AM.
JeffTheAlpaca (11-17-21)
Old 11-12-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

I don't see why Larson, Murphy, and Hammer flocked to this movie and Scorsese was the executive producer?

Was he doing a favor for a friend?

It was funny in the beginning but then became boring and could not wait for it to end.
Been a while since I saw this one, but remember thinking pretty much the same. Might've worked as a short film, not feature length.
JeffTheAlpaca (11-17-21)
Old 11-12-21, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Escape Room: Tournament of Champions - I liked it, probably more than I should. In fact, I watched it a second time, but it was the extended cut, which was drastically different. First and third acts were nothing like that of the TC's.
Old 11-12-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Last of Sheila (1973) — Starts off on the slow side but by the end found this to be a great whodunnit with a solid cast. There are some good twists and turns (including clues right in front of your face) and the performances from this ensemble were well done, headlined by Richard Benjamin. ****/*****
Old 11-13-21, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vanilla Sky (2001) — With the newest Blu-ray coming out, watched this one for, IDK, the fourth or fifth time (including once in the theater back in '01) and still love it. Great visuals from Cameron Crowe and the performances from Tom Cruse, Penelope Cruz and Cameron Diaz were top notch, and honorable mention to Jason Lee. Still tug at the heartstrings at the end. ****½/*****
Old 11-13-21, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Tammy & The T-Rex: Dumbass movies like this aren't supposed to work this well. Funny and tons of fun, with a fair amount of comic gore too. If you're ready to get stupid, hit it. 4/5 streaming on Shudder
Old 11-13-21, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Black Widow - Disney+. I did not see this in theaters as it was released when I was still much more wary of seeing films in theaters (I saw Shang-Chi in a theater with my brother on the 1st or 2nd weekend when it was out), and I finally watched it yesterday evening and I even made sure to not use my tablet while watching.

This was a real pleasure to watch and putting aside Disney's mishandling of the lawsuit that Scar Jo filed against them because it was released on D+ and in theaters at the same time, it does nothing to detract from my pleasure at watching a film with great action, some humor, and real heart.

While we may never get a Black Widow 2, I do hope that Florence Pugh's character works its way into multiple films in the MCU. I also enjoyed the behind the scenes of Black Widow episode that is part of the Assembled series on D+.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 11-14-21 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-14-21, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

Promising Young Woman - interesting movie. I was really liking it, but felt disappointed by the ending.
Old 11-14-21, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Dune (1984)

While I have not yet watched Denis Villeneuve's 2021 adaptation, I find myself appreciating Lynch's film in small increments after each repeat viewing.

It's far from the perfect adaptation of Herbert's novel but as a film, there's a lot of enjoyable pieces here.
Old 11-14-21, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Onibaba. A moody horror movie. During the wars in medieval Japan, a teenage girl and her mother-in-law survive by murdering soldiers and trading their equipment for food. A neighboring farmer turns up, having escaped an army, and disrupts their lives. This movie has no open spaces; even walking outdoors is eternally pushing through grass that's as tall as corn. Gorgeous B&W cinematography. Good stuff if you enjoy horror movies which are mostly tension.
Old 11-16-21, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great White Shudder 2021
A fun filled flight to a remote atoll turns into a nightmare for five passengers when their seaplane is destroyed in a freak accident and they are trapped on a raft, 100 miles from shore with man-eating sharks lurking beneath the surface.

This is one of those films where once the premise was established, I immediately guessed who would survive and who would be killed and in what order, -and I was right. I'm sure everyone involved put in the work but the low budget betrays the sets and the CGI and keeps it from being very convincing.

V/H/S/94 Shudder 2021
A police S.W.A.T. team investigates about a mysterious VHS tape and discovers a sinister cult that has pre-recorded material which uncovers a nightmarish conspiracy.

An anthology film of "found footage" Horror stories. The framing story seemed a bit shaky and not as clear-cut as the tag-line would suggest. However, the three stories presented within the framework are often genuinely creepy and some of the jump-scares worked.

A fun filled flight to a remote atoll turns into a nightmare for five passengers when their seaplane is destroyed in a freak accident and they are trapped on a raft, 100 miles from shore with man-eating sharks lurking beneath the surface.
Old 11-16-21, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Terror Train Shout Factory BD
Jamie Lee Curtis Directed by Roger Spottiswoode. 1980
Three years after a prank went terribly awry, the six college students responsible are targeted by a masked killer at a New Year's Eve party aboard a moving train.

This was pitched as "'Halloween' on a train", but it's not quite that. While Spotiswoode would do some serviceable films down the line ("Under Fire", "Tomorrow Never Dies"), this is pretty conventional and rote and lacks the creativity and fun a good "Slasher" needs. Veteran character actor Ben Johnson brings some "old pro" magic to the proceedings.

Stripes Sony 4K UHD

I saw this in the theater on it's opening weekend, but I probably haven't watched it straight through in a couple of decades. While it still holds up for old dogs like me, you can't help thinking at various points "They couldn't get away with that anymore". This includes the Theatrical Cut, which hasn't been available on blu-ray (only the bloated "Extended" version). This also includes a new 40-minute "Zoom" call between Bill Murray and Ivan Reitman discussing the film. It's nice to see Murray in a normal conversation, and it's a great feature. It's not mentioned, but watching them trade stories I'm glad Murray was able to make amends with Harold Ramis and put aside their feud before he passed away.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.