Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 03-10-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Last movie you watched

Munich - 4.5/5

A covert team of Israeli's is sent to Europe to track down and assassinate those responsible for the massacre of 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics. The movie is an interesting blend of politics, blind patriotism and the never ending cycle of violence. IMO this is probably Spielberg's best and most "mature" film. When compared to his other films this and AI will always stand out from the rest, which for some is a bad thing, I am not one of those people.
Old 03-10-14, 12:10 PM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

12 Years a Slave - 5/5
Blue Jasmine - 4/5
Oldboy - 3.5/5
Old 03-10-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't Hardly Wait (1998) - My YouTube review below:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BxOAzi6mwk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-11-14, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Strangers - 2/5

Thriller about a couple in a summer home being menaced by three strangers wearing masks. First half was good but it went downhill after that. I can only turn off my brain so much while watching people make stupid decisions. What a waste of potential.
Old 03-11-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

The Lego Movie theatrically, with my toddler. We both had fun with it for the most part, but it seemed like every kid in the theater was wondering WTF was up with the last ten minutes of it. I still don't like Will Ferrell.
Old 03-12-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aliens- Some critics have taken James Cameron to task for being one of the postmodern wave of filmmakers who's repackaged and resold old ideas with a new sheen, bringing nothing new and prioritizing special effects and the construction of actions sequences over stories. And in a way, they're right. Aliens is the ultimate high-concept action film, it's increasingly elaborate and expensive action sequences eventually paving the way for countless video games and knockoffs. But as a model of its kind, it's still almost peerless, a turbo-charged, adrenaline-soaked thrill ride that still feels like a jolt of electricity almost 30 years later, a barrage of still-impressive special effects. Catching the director at his peak between the B-movie pulp of The Terminator and the grand excesses of his later films, it's still a rollicking thrill ride after all of these years, and as "sci-fi action films go," it's pretty difficult to beat.

For A Few Dollars More- Why? Well, why not? Sergio Leone's bigger-budgeted, more ambitious sequel to A Fistful of Dollars, an audacious exercise in pure style. Minimal plot, but that's beside the point. Grand, sweeping score with a minimalist use of instruments that makes it look and sound way more expensive than it is, with a pair of iconic tough-guy leads in Van Cleef and Eastwood and some amazing set pieces, with Leone gleefully stretching out time and playing with tight closeup, grand wide shots, and a beautiful atmosphere of a Old West fairytale. A few cool action sequences and some exploitation grue as well just spice things up. Good fun.

Face/Off- John Woo's one American picture that not only works, it's brilliant. Deft blend of exhilarating action sequences, a smart screenplay, good performances, and a superb blend of poetic violence, operatic style, beautiful cinematography, all in a gloriously overwrought but somehow artistically cohesive whole.
Old 03-12-14, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FAFD has more action than the others in the trio.
Old 03-14-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Last Days on Mars - I watched this last night and was thoroughly entertained! Great effects and good performances by Liev Schreiber, Romola Garai, and Olivia Williams.

I was actually caught off guard that this would have
Spoiler:
martian zombies,
but it worked.

The Blu-ray looks and sounds fantastic.
Old 03-15-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rush 4/5. Didn't think I'd like it but it was good and I do remember those days well if not the F1 details.
Old 03-15-14, 11:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

deep Blue Sea - satisfied my mindless action mood
Old 03-15-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enemies Closer. A mostly enjoyable action outing with Van Damme enjoying the hell out of playing the villain.
Old 03-15-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Nurse 3-D (2013): Absolutely hilarious. That final act was a thing of absolute beauty.
Old 03-15-14, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went through the first half of the Astron-6 Collection:

•Cool Guys
•H.I.Z. (Erection Der Zombie)
•Punch Out
•You're Dead
•Insanophenia
•Sebastian and Alan
•Krissmiss
•Heart of Karl
•Haunted
Old 03-15-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts

Babylon A.D. - it sucked.
Old 03-15-14, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

20 feet From Stardom Excellent but a tad long.

Jobs Didn't care for that at all
Old 03-16-14, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished the rest of the Astron-6 Collection:

•Fireman
•Laser Ghosts 2
•Siam I Am
•Inferno of the Dead
•Ena Lake Blues
•Nobodies
•Ghost Killers
•Fat Adam
•Goreblade
Old 03-16-14, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Body Double - an oldie but a goodie!
Old 03-16-14, 10:27 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 959 Likes on 801 Posts

Diner...classic.
Inside Llewyn Davis...very good.
Old 03-16-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Inglourious Basterds - 4/5

A Nazi killing Jewish commando team headed by a part-Indian Tennessean wreak havoc in France during WWII. At the same time a young Jewish girl who owns a cinema and witnessed the slaughter of her family by the Nazis plans to take down the German high command at the premier of a propaganda film produced by Joseph Goebbels. IMO Tarantino's best post Jackie Brown film.
Old 03-16-14, 03:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Pirates of the Caribbean - Netflix - for the directors birthday
Old 03-16-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 5/5

Final film from the great Sidney Lumet who made it at 83 years old. A dark suspense drama about a botched robbery and the circumstances surrounding the involvement of two dysfunctional brothers. An excellent well made film with a great cast led by a powerhouse performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Old 03-16-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Galaxy Quest- Hilarious, warmly heartfelt Star Trek parody about an alien civilization who takes a cancelled TV show as reality and recruits the cast for a real adventure. Though it could have degenerated into a long sitcom, the pitch-perfect performances from the cast and the witty screenplay help to elevate it, and the film balances the comedic elements with some proper adventure stuff well, playing as both a parody and an homage. Lots of fun, though I don't know how it'd play to non-Trek fans.

GI Joe: Retaliation- Incredibly dull sequel to Stephen Sommers' gleefully silly original, a static, turgid movie with almost no sense of humor which simply sits there inert and does nothing. Even the violent action sequences are dull, so laden CG that they not only have no tension, but look fake and stupid. At least Channing Tatum looked like he was in on the joke, Dwayne Johnson, though charismatic, is utterly wasted, and Bruce Willis' cameo looks like a smug guy picking up the paycheck.

Thor: The Dark World- Fun but thin sequel to Marvel's superhero opus. At least aeuter theorists could have fun with Branagh's gaudy excesses on the first film and its King Lear in Space narrative. TV-bred director Alan Taylor is certainly competent, and he adds a nice bit of grit to the proceedings, and Hemsworth and Hiddelston are both as good as ever, but unfortunately, the rest of the film feels like a patchwork of other movies and an imitation of Peter Jackson's much-superior Middle Earth films. Entertaining and certainly not terrible, just a bit unremarkable. Maybe I'm simply growing bored with the superhero genre at this point. The Hail to the King short film on the disc is hilarious though.

The Avengers- Joss Whedon's megabucks ultimate superhero movie is surprisingly worth most of its hype. Though it occasionally slips into Michael Bay-style mayhem that feels like a kid bashing action figures together, Whedon handles the ensemble cast well, loading it with his usual snarky dialogue and fun character dynamics, and his usual sense of irreverence and the commercial demands of the film's blockbuster narrative are largely juggled pretty deftly.
Old 03-18-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My Week with Marilyn - 1.5/5

Marilyn Monroe comes to England to film The Prince and the Showgirl under the direction of her co-star Laurence Olivier.
While there she meets and befriends the third assistant director whose memoirs the film is loosely based on.
A boring and cliched film that provides us with very little insight about the real Marilyn Monroe.
Old 03-18-14, 10:55 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Olympus Has Fallen I really would love to hear a Rifftrax or How Did this Get Made? podcast about it. It's super silly and extremely dumb but I kind of enjoyed it in his terribleness. It's basically Die Hard and Cliffhanger in the White House. So bad, I'm glad I was drinking during it.
Old 03-19-14, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

American Perfekt - 4/5

A woman on her way to pickup her sister stumbles into bad luck and meets a psychiatrist who may or may not be who he says he is.
A pretty good quirky road thriller that feels a bit like the films of the Coen Brothers and Quentin Tarantino.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.