Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 01-16-21, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Promising Young Woman - Really enjoyed this one, something of a dark comedy mixed with serious issues and a nice dose of cleverness.
Old 01-16-21, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

The Court Jester (1956) — Really entertaining and all around fun musical parody featuring a charismatic performance from David Kaye and also has Basil Rathbone serviceable as the villain. Also nice having Glynis Johns and Angela Lansbury in there, Johns particularly stunning. ***/*****
Old 01-16-21, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,744 Likes on 2,687 Posts

Jiu Jitsu (2020) Awful.

The Empty Man (2020) Not horrible. Creepy horror movie about an evil spiritual entity. Very long at 136 minutes.
Old 01-16-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk God

I watched the Indie horror movie Alone (2020) last week on DVD

It's gotten some surprisingly good reviews. Anyways, I gave it a watch and was surprised how entertaining it was. Really effective thriller about a young woman on a lone road who runs into a stranger and then that stranger starts following her and then kidnaps her.

Marc Menchaca was a really creepy villain.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alone_2020_2

This movie is currently certified fresh at 94% of Rotten Tomatoes. That's pretty rare for an Indie horror movie. Most are very cheap and forgettable.
Old 01-16-21, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,049 Likes on 644 Posts

Ponyo - continuing my Studio Ghibli journey while they're all on HBO Max. Really lovely film. Like My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service, it's very much designed for younger children, with a pretty simplistic story and dialogue. The animation is really beautiful--with some incredibly detailed ocean scenes and gorgeous panoramic landscapes. I watched with the English language dub, which includes the fairly recognizable voices of Liam Neeson and Betty White, and Tina Fey as the mom. I was thrilled to see the scene with the pop-pop boat since I sometimes have my physics students make their own when we study thermodynamics. I may have to start referencing Ponyo to them when we do this in the future. I look forward to rewatching this some day.

Old 01-16-21, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,498 Likes on 947 Posts

Contact. I gave up on it 45 minutes into it. Oozing with cheap sentimentality.

The Fall (2006). Beautiful. In a 1920s hospital, a Hollywood stunt man who was crippled in a fall tells a little girl a story. The story is visually stunning. Why are all movies today brown and grey when they could have this kind of reds, yellows, and greens? There's a fight scene in Rome, a resurrection in Bali, rescuing a slave caravan in South Africa, and a half-minute scene at the Pyramids. Meanwhile in the hospital, the stunt man is feeling suicidal.

Old 01-17-21, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 158 Posts

The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - I'm a fan so I already more or less knew the story, but I still thought this was interesting...and then there is the music. (HBO Max)

The Da Vinci Code - Decided to give this a rewatch. It's still mostly a miss. (MA)

Brigsby Bear - I thought this was an interesting idea, but a little Kyle Mooney goes a long way for me. I know it was his project, but since it's as much drama as comedy; he's just not a good enough actor to pull it off, and he looked too old for the part. (Starz)
Old 01-17-21, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw two movies with similar themes recently:

Replicas - Keanu Reeves is a scientist trying to achieve transfer of consciousness from the recently deceased into an artificial body. The stakes become greater when he suffers a personal tragedy. Alice Eve costars as his wife and Thomas Middleditch plays his assistant. It's all pretty ludicrous and Reeves (whom I like in some movies) is not very good. A lot of the more interesting ethical questions about what Reeves' character has done are unceremoniously brushed aside in the final act as the movie turns into an action/thriller.

Archive - Theo James is a scientist trying to achieve transfer of consciousness from the recently deceased into an artificial body. He lives with his creations in a remote facility in the mountains. This was a much better story than Replicas in terms of exploring the ethics of creating artificial intelligence and the responsibility of the creator to the creation. However, this is very derivative of other stories, including much better movies such as Ex Machina and Blade Runner.
Spoiler:
There is a 'twist' at the end that I guessed at fairly early. It's kind of cheap and it lessens the journey that the character goes through.
Old 01-17-21, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some Kind of Heaven - Really well shot documentary about The Villages retirement community in Florida. You can see Aronofsky's influence in parts. It's more fly on the wall than an opinion piece, and is a moderately entertaining slice of the weird life. Well worth the $1.49 rental fee on Google Play.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-18-21 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-18-21, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 759 Likes on 619 Posts

Was really boring for a hour then a little excitement but would not watch again.
Old 01-18-21, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Contact. I gave up on it 45 minutes into it. Oozing with cheap sentimentality.

The Fall (2006). Beautiful. In a 1920s hospital, a Hollywood stunt man who was crippled in a fall tells a little girl a story. The story is visually stunning. Why are all movies today brown and grey when they could have this kind of reds, yellows, and greens? There's a fight scene in Rome, a resurrection in Bali, rescuing a slave caravan in South Africa, and a half-minute scene at the Pyramids. Meanwhile in the hospital, the stunt man is feeling suicidal.

Tarsem Singh the director also did a Lady Gaga video

Old 01-18-21, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe if I was 6 this would be a awesome movie.

I would have passed if De Niro was not in it.

That kid should have been punched and probably will not have a long career in Hollywood.

Did not know Christopher Walken and Jane Seymour would be in it.
Old 01-18-21, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched it again from my collection

Shannon was pure evil in this and Ryder was not awful and Liotta had some memorable scenes.
Old 01-18-21, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get on Up - There might be an interesting movie in James Brown's life story, but this wasn't it. Also thought Boseman drifted into caricature. The movie is saved a little by the music. (HBO Max)

David Copperfield (1935) - At times an effective adaptation, at other times quite dated. W.C. Fields is a curious choice as Mr. Micawber. FWIW, I did enjoy it more than the Iannucci from last fall. (HBO Max)
Old 01-18-21, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts

Outside The Wire - Meh, it wasn't that good. Dumb plot, really boring.
The following users liked this post:
kahuna (01-18-21)
Old 01-18-21, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Recent movies i watched

Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2
Old 01-18-21, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did a rewatch of all the "Ocean's" movies over the last couple of weeks.

Ocean's Eleven - the best by a mile. I love this movie and have watched it many times. Great cast, great direction, the heist is a bit messy but the reveal is fun. Everything in this movie just 'clicks.'

As for the rest, I watched each one once when they were first released, and so this rewatch was my second viewing for each:

Ocean's Twelve - really was disappointed with this one the first time. On this viewing I was a little more entertained, but it's still not very good. The story is kind of a mess. The final heist is pretty anticlimactic. The 'Tess looks like Julia Roberts' subplot was dumb. I wanted more from the Catherine Zeta Jones character. She seemed like a knock-off of the Dunaway/Russo character from the Thomas Crown movies, which could have been an interesting dynamic, but her character just never developed enough and the final scene/reveal with her fell flat because it didn't feel earned.

Ocean's Thirteen - a bit of a return to form, though it still falls far short of Eleven for me. Pacino and Barkin were fun villains, with Garcia as a sort of neutral antagonist. The heist is way over-the-top--especially the whole earthquake scenario. I didn't care for what they did with Damon's character in Twelve and Thirteen. In Eleven he was a rookie but he was confident--cocky, even. In Twelve and Thirteen he's portrayed as unsure of himself and treated as kind of a fool by the others. Ultimately, this isn't great but it's a fun diversion and stands above Twelve.

Ocean's 8 - this one is directed by Gary Ross instead of Soderbergh. I love the cast, and it's a pretty fun movie. Sometimes it did feel like it was stealing too many beats from the Soderbergh movies, though that may have been unavoidable. The details of the heist are pretty ludicrous, but I guess that's beside the point in these movies. There's not a good villain besides the asshole boyfriend, but he's kind of a pawn. Still, it had some fun moments and I'd watch a sequel to this if they ever make one.
Old 01-18-21, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ronan and Winslet were great as usual and though it started out slow it got better.

Hope they get Oscar recognition for their work.
Old 01-18-21, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,498 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Tarsem Singh the director also did a Lady Gaga video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ho...l=LadyGagaVEVO
I don't like that as much. In the extras for The Fall, Tarsem Singh says that if they don't get the hospital story right, the movie will be little more than a music video.

I may be the only person who liked The Cell. A flawed movie, but it sure looked good.
Old 01-18-21, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love The Cell. It's silly but its inventive, and in that movies case that's all it needed.
Old 01-18-21, 09:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 959 Likes on 801 Posts

Lethal Weapon 2...as fun as ever!
Old 01-19-21, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - I have now seen both of these films. I was surprised when Laura Linney showed up. (VUDU)

Da 5 Bloods - Finally got around to watching this. KInd of an amalgam of Lee's career for me. Some great moments, but I also thought the movie lost focus. (Netflix)
Old 01-19-21, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 204 Posts

Curse of Frankenstein Warner Archives
Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee. Hammer Films.

Something of a surprise from WA, -they've created a package similar to those from Shout Factory. The film is provided in three separate aspect ratios, the picture quality is quite good, and the commentaries and extras are excellent. Looking back at "Curse" and "Horror of Dracula", it's impressive how much Hammer packed in a relatively short running time, and how they were able to take these huge novels, and condense them into such effective films.

Freddy vs Jason
Friday the 13th (2009)
Shout Factory

I'm still going through the F13 box set. Unfortunately, the last two films are the just a re-packaging of the previously released discs, adding none of the polish Shout! brought to the rest of the set. After watching Kane Hodder play "Jason" for the last four films, I missed him in these.

Last edited by DWilson; 01-19-21 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-19-21, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Beneath A Sea of Lights

A entertaining indie with Barkhad Abdi from Captain Phillips

It is on Showtime and Hulu

Dubai looks like a cool place to visit someday

Spoiler plot description

A Somali billboard repairman working in Dubai decides he wants to experience some of the products advertised on his billboards. It’s an experience that begins innocently enough, but quickly spins out of control, especially when a con man enters the picture.
Old 01-19-21, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk God

All My Life (2020)

Currently available on demand and PVOD. Based on the true story of a young Canadian couple who suffer a devastating event prior to their wedding. The groom is diagnosed with inoperable liver cancer and has a limited time left to live. So the couple tries to make the most of the time they do have together. I really enjoyed it. Harry Shum and Jessica Rothe had really good chemistry and sold the love story. The film is dedicated to the memory of the real life character Shum played who died 4 months after their wedding.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.