Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Wright, 2010) The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Wright, 2010) The Reviews Thread
29.10%
19.40%
22.39%
9.70%
5.22%
3.73%
2.24%
1.49%
1.49%
2.24%
1.49%
You mean there is actually another movie that dares come out the same day as The Expendables?
1.49%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-10, 11:18 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" (Starring: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Chris Evans, Anna Kendrick, Jason Schwartzman, Brandon Routh)

Release Date:
8/13/2010

Rating:
PG-13 (for stylized violence and Michael Cera finally acting against type and playing the awkward, nerdy, shy guy who stutters, has some adventures and finally gets the girl in the end throughout.)

Running Time:
112min. (1h. 52m.)

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.1 (17,287 votes as of 9/15/10)
IMDb Link...

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:170 Rotten:41 (81% as of 9/15/10)
RT Link...

Metacritic:
69 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 9/15/10)
Meta Link...

Trailer:
<object width="450" height="292"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/22670"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/22670" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="292" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-15-10 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-09-10, 11:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Wright, 2010) The Reviews Thread

This is the most fun you'll have fun at the movies this year. Edgar Wright knocks it out of the park, and stays true to the spirit (and often the letter) of the source material. The movie barrels along furiously, a breathless charge to the finish line. Michael Cera goes above and beyond his normal neurotic screen persona (whether it will be enough for detractors is yet to be seen), and the rest of the cast are all clearly having a great time. The real show-stealer is Kieran Culkin as Wallace Wells, Scott's gay roommate. But every character is memorable.

I am curious how this will speak to people who weren't raised on video games like I was, but from where I'm standing, Scott Pilgrim is a fantastic experience and I've been dying to see it again since I caught it at Comic Con.
Old 08-09-10, 12:00 PM

i am considering going to this before [gasp]The Expendables[/gasp] actually.
Old 08-09-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
i am considering going to this before [gasp]The Expendables[/gasp] actually.
By most Twitter accounts I've heard, The Expendables is underwhelming. Not bad, just...not spectacular.

I'm seeing it tonight, so I guess we'll see.

I'm still embargoed on Scott Pilgrim. As an entirely unrelated and completely irrelevant side note, I've seen it 3 times so far.
Old 08-09-10, 02:30 PM

for either droid or Sm,
how does this one compare in the fun factor to Shaun of the Dead? that is probably one of my favorite movies of the last decade and thought it was incredibly fun and inventive and brought something new to the genre. i was underwhelmed by Hot Fuzz and that has since grown on me a bit, but is Pilgrim as much of a good time as Shaun? dare so more?
Old 08-09-10, 02:35 PM
Banned by request

Well, I think Hot Fuzz is significantly better than Shaun of the Dead, so take that for what it's worth. In terms of rapid-fire humor, it bests Shaun and Hot Fuzz alike. In terms of being a fully rounded film, I'd put Shaun and Hot Fuzz above it. In terms of personal rankings, I'd say I like Hot Fuzz the most, Scott Pilgrim second, and Shaun third.
Old 08-09-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think it's a better film than both Fuzz or Shaun just because it represents an exponential increase in Wright's scope and resources, and yet it's even more seamless in its construction.

I would also say that neither Shaun or Fuzz managed to deliver a finale that felt as rousing and cheer-worthy as what Pilgrim has. Wright has perfectly worthwhile justification for it, but the no-kills shootout that concludes Hot Fuzz is still just a touch disappointing when stacked up against the action movies it's satirizing, and Shaun's ending is mostly dramatic, a bit bittersweet, and a bit jokey, which, as good as it may be, strikes me as a "ramping down" kind of ending for a comedy. Pilgrim doesn't stick the landing perfectly, but there are parts of it that just kick mega-ass. I can't imagine how good that was seeing it in a packed, pumped, enthusiastic theater. The walls must have cracked.

That said, I'm also with Supr that Fuzz is better than Shaun, although when I imported a Shaun DVD in early 2004, I also showed it to so many people (I wanted to get them all together at once, but noooooo) that I ended up seeing it 15 or 20 times, so I kind of burned myself out on that movie.

If you watch Fuzz again, the thing I appreciate the most about it is how well-constructed it is on a purely technical level. It's a marvel. Each edit is seamless, each sound effect is expertly timed. The sequence where Angel travels to Sandford is a whole school on visual and aural exposition. The movie is like Angel himself is: an almost perfect machine.
Old 08-09-10, 03:43 PM

i agree that Fuzz is much more polished and technically superior as a movie than Shaun, but it just wowed me when i too imported the DVD in '04 and has been one of my most viewed since. this sounds like a lot of fun and i am almost convinced this will be the first of the two i want to see this weekend.
Old 08-09-10, 03:57 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I think it's a better film than both Fuzz or Shaun just because it represents an exponential increase in Wright's scope and resources, and yet it's even more seamless in its construction.

I would also say that neither Shaun or Fuzz managed to deliver a finale that felt as rousing and cheer-worthy as what Pilgrim has. Wright has perfectly worthwhile justification for it, but the no-kills shootout that concludes Hot Fuzz is still just a touch disappointing when stacked up against the action movies it's satirizing, and Shaun's ending is mostly dramatic, a bit bittersweet, and a bit jokey, which, as good as it may be, strikes me as a "ramping down" kind of ending for a comedy. Pilgrim doesn't stick the landing perfectly, but there are parts of it that just kick mega-ass. I can't imagine how good that was seeing it in a packed, pumped, enthusiastic theater. The walls must have cracked.
All valid points, but I think the one thing that keeps me from hanging back on recommending Scott over Hot Fuzz is that Scott is such a non-stop dash to the end that I don't think it takes the time to fully develop the emotional intensity needed to really make the finale as show-stopping as it could have been. Part of why I feel that inevitably has something to do with having read all the comics before seeing it, which takes much more time to unfold, but I do feel that a slower scene here and there would have really helped, if only to give you time to catch your breath before the next fight.

Spoiler:
I think the best example of this is after Scott defeats Todd Ingram and everyone goes to the after party, where he gets attacked by Roxy and then Ramona leaves. I needed a breather after the Todd Ingram section, and the little bit of them deciding whether or not to go to the after party wasn't it. Everything felt so compressed in that part of the film that it seemed like scenes were almost stepping on the toes of other scenes.

But that is me being really nitpicky. Scott Pilgrim is phenomenal and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 08-09-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
All valid points, but I think the one thing that keeps me from hanging back on recommending Scott over Hot Fuzz is that Scott is such a non-stop dash to the end that I don't think it takes the time to fully develop the emotional intensity needed to really make the finale as show-stopping as it could have been. Part of why I feel that inevitably has something to do with having read all the comics before seeing it, which takes much more time to unfold, but I do feel that a slower scene here and there would have really helped, if only to give you time to catch your breath before the next fight.

Spoiler:
I think the best example of this is after Scott defeats Todd Ingram and everyone goes to the after party, where he gets attacked by Roxy and then Ramona leaves. I needed a breather after the Todd Ingram section, and the little bit of them deciding whether or not to go to the after party wasn't it. Everything felt so compressed in that part of the film that it seemed like scenes were almost stepping on the toes of other scenes.

But that is me being really nitpicky. Scott Pilgrim is phenomenal and I can't recommend it highly enough.
I've read the books too, and I think the film settles in on repeat viewings. There is less romance in the movie than there is in the books, but once you're not being overwhelmed by how much of a head-spinning extravaganza the film's editing and direction is, it's easier to appreciate the intimate moments.

Spoiler:
I do agree that the Todd Ingram fight is the point at which the film feels the most truncated, and stumbles a bit in the emotional points its trying to make during the Roxy scene, but it gets back on its feet by the amp vs. amp battle, which is one of my favorite sequences. Part of it is because the Ingram section, aside from the bass battle in the middle, is pretty much verbatim, so it's probably easier to notice all that's gone missing.
Old 08-09-10, 04:37 PM
Banned by request

I think even something as simple as a few fade-outs between major scenes may have helped give the impression that more time was passing.

But there's no doubt that I am looking forward to nothing more than seeing the movie again.
Old 08-09-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I think everyone knows my thoughts on Scott Pilgrim by now. I might catch it at the $3 theater, solely because of Edgar Wright's involvement.
Old 08-09-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I think everyone knows my thoughts on Scott Pilgrim by now. I might catch it at the $3 theater, solely because of Edgar Wright's involvement.
If you'd rather see it at a first run theater on Friday, I'll PayPal you the $12 for a ticket.
Old 08-09-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,018 Likes on 809 Posts

I love Shaun but didn't care for Fuzz. Hope I'll love Pilgrim.
Old 08-10-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
If you'd rather see it at a first run theater on Friday, I'll PayPal you the $12 for a ticket.
The $3 theater around here is actually as nice as Regal or a Century.
Old 08-10-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The $3 theater around here is actually as nice as Regal or a Century.
That wasn't really the point. And (since I know we live in the same corner of the country) did you mean the East Valley 13? Because it still is a Regal.
Old 08-10-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone reading this thread is in Atlanta, there's a 3 p.m. signing today (8/10/2010)at Criminal Records for Scott Pilgrim-related merchandise (1 per person) with Michael Cera, Jason Schwartzman and Edgar Wright.

http://www.criminalatl.com/NewsItem/2128
Old 08-10-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think everyone knows my thoughts on Scott Pilgrim by now.
No, that is a really weird assumption. I have no clue what your thoughts are on Scott Pilgrim, as I'm sure a vast majority of the board doesn't as well.
Old 08-10-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was my first thought.
Old 08-10-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
No, that is a really weird assumption. I have no clue what your thoughts are on Scott Pilgrim, as I'm sure a vast majority of the board doesn't as well.
Originally Posted by starman9000
That was my first thought.
You guys don't get the newsletter?
Old 08-10-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Not sure if anyone here reads theater hopper, but the comic today is about Scott Pilgrim. I was the reverse, actually. the previews hooked me and made me interested in the books, which i plowed through quickly. Now i'm even more excited for the movie!

http://www.theaterhopper.com/2010/08...-one-to-get-it
Old 08-10-10, 04:31 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
You guys don't get the newsletter?
I thought we were all here to find out what he thought of Scott Pilgrim.
Old 08-10-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I thought we were all here to find out what he thought of Scott Pilgrim.
"Boba, how can you like The Spirit and dislike Scott Pilgrim??"
Probably my Dirty Harry like disdain for hipsters, who I've noticed seem to worship the comic.
That's all a forum search was able to turn up, at least.
Old 08-10-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

For the record, let me point out for anyone who hates hipsters, that hipsters are actually the villains in the movie. I mean, Jason Schwartzman is the ultimate villain in this world.
Old 08-11-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,018 Likes on 809 Posts

Armond White gave this a glowing review. Uh oh.

Orndorf, though, wasn't a fan: http://www.brianorndorf.com/2010/08/...the-world.html

Last edited by RichC2; 08-11-10 at 01:15 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.