Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems Fox has finally gotten the message about their catalog pricing. I was browsing Amazon and noticed that Fantastic Four, Transporter 1 & 2, Chain Reaction, From Hell, 28 Days Later, Broken Arrow, Flight of the Phoenix, Kiss of the Dragon, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Sentinel, Men of Honor, The Fly, Planet of the Apes, Entrapment, Behind Enemy Lines, Edward Scissorhands, The Devil Wears Prada, Speed, and The Omen are all showing list prices of $29.98. Some are still reflecting a $27.95 sale price, but I'm sure that will change.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 03-05-08 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 04:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Love that Munchausen artwork.
Old 03-05-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
It seems Fox has finally gotten the message about their catalog pricing. I was browsing Amazon and noticed that Fantastic Four, Transporter 1 & 2, Chain Reaction, From Hell, 28 Days Later, Broken Arrow, Flight of the Phoenix, Kiss of the Dragon, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Sentinel, Men of Honor, The Fly, Planet of the Apes, Entrapment, Behind Enemy Lines, Edward Scissorhands, The Devil Wears Prada, Speed, and The Omen are all showing list prices of $29.98. Some are still reflecting a $27.95 sale price, but I'm sure that will change.
It could be that they are lowing list prices for older catalogs but if this also applies to new catalogs as well, this is huge.
Old 03-05-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered "The Host" on BD since they've had it on sale, and today it arrived... in a red case! I guess they're trying everything they can to get rid of old HD DVD stock now. They're sending a replacement copy out today via next day air, hopefully it'll come in blue this time.

I figured maybe something that didn't concern Paramount or prices would be a nice change, even for a second, in here.

edited to add: Ok, this is odd. It's an HD DVD case, but the outer art says it's a BD (I noticed it said it had PCM tracks, and sure enough, the Blu-ray logo is on the back as well). Was there any known mix up with this title?

Last edited by cartman; 03-05-08 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Did you not open it? Sounds like there may actually be a Blu-Ray in there.
Old 03-06-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Father of Java Promises 'Mind-Blowing' Blu-ray Experiences

By Jennifer LeClaire
March 6, 2008 10:48AM

Sun Vice President James Gosling, known as the father of Java, says the next-generation Blu-ray Profile 2 will offer "mind-blowing" experiences. Demonstrations of Blu-ray Profile 2 are scheduled in May, and Blu-ray players with the new specification are on the way from Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer and Sharp, among others.

When the father of Java speaks, developers listen. James Gosling, widely known as the father of the scripting language, spoke about Java and Blu-ray innovation at the Sun Tech Day in Sydney, Australia. Gosling, a vice president and fellow at Sun Microsystems, gave the keynote address and talked to reporters.

Sun's Java language is part of the Blu-ray specification. Gosling told reporters that the next-generation Blu-ray Profile 2 will be "mind-blowing." Demonstrations of Profile 2 are scheduled for demonstration at the JavaOne conference in May, and players with the new specification are expected this spring. Profile 2 offers Internet connectivity and storage for downloaded content.

"Now the real battle begins between Sony and Panasonic and Pioneer and Sharp and all the playermakers to make their players richer," said Richard Doherty, an analyst at Envisioneering Group. "How many consumers would like to be able to chat with family members in different cities over the Internet while they watch Ratattouie the week it comes out?"

The Promise of Blu-ray Profile 2

Sony took a step in that direction when it updated its Blu-ray Disc player line with two new models that will offer advanced interactive features, including trailers and games from the Internet. The new players will debut this summer.

The BDP-S350 and BDP-S550 models both support BonusView -- Picture-in-Picture -- featured on some of the new Blu-ray Disc theatrical releases. The BDP-S350 is BD-Live ready and features an Ethernet port for an easy firmware update and access to Internet-based interactive content. The BDP-S550 will be BonusView and BD-Live capable when it ships.

Doherty pointed to the possibilities with Javascripts from the movie studios, Javascripts from third parties, and Java environments supported by Blu-ray player manufacturers like Sony. The discs, he said, will be much richer and interactive. Beyond the socialization, we might see scenarios where folks like children's TV activist Peggy Charren, for example, offer a Javascript site that passes over the most gory scenes of movies for children under 12.

Let the Innovation Begin

In short, Gosling is absolutely right about the mind-blowing potential of Javascripts in Blu-ray, Doherty said. That's one reason, he added, why Microsoft Relevant Products/Services subsidized the high-definition battle on HD DVD's behalf. Microsoft wanted to block Java from becoming the developer language of choice for high-definition discs, he said.

"There are licenses paid for Java on the disc side and the player side, so it's a long-term revenue win and it's an architectural win and a salute to Gosling and his team, as well as the hundreds of thousands of people who program in Javascript," Doherty said. "Most of the developers who were working on both platforms are throwing their weight behind Java. Now we'll begin to see all kinds of social interactivity with high-definition players and discs."
Pro-B
Old 03-06-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, is it just me or are things getting really (and unnecessarily) complex with these new Blu-ray features? I may be in the minority here, but I could care less about social interactivity features integrated into my HDM titles. I just want the movie, with the best picture and sound available, the trailer in HD, and some neat behind-the-scenes bonus features (most of which I'll hardly watch anyway) ...

It sounds to me like they (the studios and distributors) will be wanting to charge a premium for all these additional features, most of us will never really use (at least in the long-term) anyway.
Old 03-06-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Right, I'm sure there are tons of viewers dying to blog from their Blu-ray discs, typing out their messages letter by letter with the remote control.
Old 03-06-08, 03:45 PM
Banned by request

Sorry, Josh, to me that's as bad of a comment as the people who bashed on the HDi tests that were going to be shown at CES. The interactivity on Blu-ray is in its infancy, and who knows what will end up being done with it? I think we should applaud anyone who tries to push the interactivity forward.
Old 03-06-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I think we should applaud anyone who tries to push the interactivity forward.
As long as it doesn't interfere with playing the disc successfully or take too much of a footprint, I'm fine with it being there even if I don't use it.
Old 03-06-08, 04:15 PM
Banned by request

Well, I have a PS3, so I don't worry too much about those issues.
Old 03-06-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, Josh, to me that's as bad of a comment as the people who bashed on the HDi tests that were going to be shown at CES. The interactivity on Blu-ray is in its infancy, and who knows what will end up being done with it? I think we should applaud anyone who tries to push the interactivity forward.
Old 03-07-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Mr. Van Ling touts BD-Java:
Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-07-08, 02:05 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Mr. Van Ling touts BD-Java:

Ciao,
Pro-B
Honestly, most of that was junk (just like i consider all the interactivity on hd dvd ive seen junk), but the interactive game where you spot stuff and have a score card that changes every time you watch the movie is pretty neat. Thats something i wouldnt expect to do so soon to a movie.
Old 03-07-08, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

One of the ideas I thought would have been great to explore is to create a "live" web of HD trailers, cast/info, and articles/reviews that could be accessed instantaneously while watching the main feature. Much like Mr. Ling addressed the moving cursor and the ability to enter a web area with secondary info. If the studios could keep such interactive database open only via a participating BD release where one could click on an actor (assume you forgot the work a secondary character did), pull up all of his/her work, click on a specific title and see a trailer immediately, read a critical review and/or an essay, this would be much more enticing to me than the fancy games, chatting, etc.
Furthermore, the same path also leads to a myriad of articles and reviews (Criterion could come up with plenty they replenish on a regular basis) which the distribs currently offer as booklets, etc. If such a "live" database grows even half as big as IMDB with numerous international entries accessible via BR hardware interactivity would be much more appealing to me. Otherwise, I agree, the entertaining aspect of it is nothing I would go gaga for.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-07-08 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-07-08, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Van Ling is a pretty creative guy and has helped produce some kick ass DVDs. If the guy has ideas for cool features then I am all ears.
Old 03-07-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm one of many on here looking for that Superman Returns Blu-ray re-issue with PCM/Dolby TrueHD audio. A member on blu-ray.com says he found 3 copies in a Minnesota Best Buy. Sounds like they are finally hitting stores. I'm going to make the rounds this weekend.
Old 03-07-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm one of many on here looking for that Superman Returns Blu-ray re-issue with PCM/Dolby TrueHD audio. A member on blu-ray.com says he found 3 copies in a Minnesota Best Buy. Sounds like they are finally hitting stores. I'm going to make the rounds this weekend.
Remember, if they have that big TrueHD sticker on the front, they almost certainly came from the Pioneer box. The guy that had the stickers made from Pioneer confirmed that at AVS and even took a picture of the roll of stickers.

So if they don't have the sticker, that is indeed good news.
Old 03-07-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I'm all for useful interactive features, but focusing on social networking and blogging functions, which are impractical (how to type the messages with a remote) and redundant (why would anyone bother when they can just go online with their computer, cell phone, etc.?) are the wrong direction and a waste of resources.
Old 03-07-08, 12:47 PM

This is one time I may want the non-SE of a disc if it will keep the cost down. I have absolutely zero interest for all this other "Stuff" on a DVD. Especially, it if takes bit space away from the A/V quality - which if it is on the same disc as the movie, i would think it would.

Just give me the movie at the best Audio Picture quality, and a few GOOD supplements - all for a 'reasonable' price - and I am happy. Am I in the minority here?
Old 03-07-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve
Just give me the movie at the best Audio Picture quality, and a few GOOD supplements - all for a 'reasonable' price - and I am happy. Am I in the minority here?
Yes, sir... indeed you are.

I'm actually with you. I have never watched the supplements on any SE disc I own more than once. I'd rather have the superior A/V quality on the disc and a second SD DVD with the extras sold separately or in 2-disc SE packaging... I would then rent that second disc from Netflix if I wanted to see the extra features the one time they'd interest me.
Old 03-07-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the extra stuff would be squeezing space enough that PQ was possibly being threatened (doubtful, considering little space 480i content sucks up) then they could put it on a second disc.

I won't buy catalog titles with stripped out special features and generally not new releases either.

There is no reason they should be being left out. If I like a movie well enough to rebuy it in hi-def, I like it enough to watch some / all of the special features.
Old 03-07-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I bought a new place today..anybody want to chip in so I can buy a Blu ray player in my new home theater setup?
Old 03-07-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Yes, sir... indeed you are.

I'm actually with you. I have never watched the supplements on any SE disc I own more than once. I'd rather have the superior A/V quality on the disc and a second SD DVD with the extras sold separately or in 2-disc SE packaging... I would then rent that second disc from Netflix if I wanted to see the extra features the one time they'd interest me.
Well, as we saw with DVD, going to two-tiered releases did not bring prices down. All that happened was the 2-disc price went up, while the single-disc version stayed at the same price as the previous 2-disc-only version. You weren't paying less, but you were getting less for your money. So, I'd rather they didn't go in that direction, for a while anyway.

Another thing to remember is that the guy at Java has a vested interest in pushing the interactivity. We'll have to see whether the studios actually follow through. I don't care for it either. With movies I want a passive experience of just sitting back and watching something. If I want interactivity I'll play a game - a real game.

I just hope one of the Java apps can be a time machine, so I can go back to when Ratatouille was released and chat in real time with family members in different cities while watching it.
Old 03-07-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I'm all for useful interactive features, but focusing on social networking and blogging functions, which are impractical (how to type the messages with a remote) and redundant (why would anyone bother when they can just go online with their computer, cell phone, etc.?) are the wrong direction and a waste of resources.
So you're okay with the Community Screening on HP5 I assume?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.