Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Old 03-10-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weeds Season 3 Coming to Blu-ray
Posted March 10, 2008 12:46 PM by Josh

Lionsgate Home Entertainment has announced that they will release the highly acclaimed 'Weeds: Season 3' for Blu-ray on June 3rd, day-and-date with the DVD release. Video will be presented in widescreen and be accompanied by 7.1 PCM audio. Extras includes audio commentary and featurettes such as "Good Morning, Agrestic!" and much more. A full list of extra features is expected to be released shortly.

The first and second season of Weeds were released last year for Blu-ray, making it one of the only TV shows to have every season presented on Blu-ray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1101

Really looking forward to this as Weeds is one of the most hilarious shows on tv right now.
Old 03-10-08, 07:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by redbill
call me when they've got dancing stick-figures...
LOL

And YAY to Weeds Season 3!
Old 03-10-08, 08:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
So rather then talk about the fact that Fox is re-releasing a title with 2.0 features, we are going to continue to diss HD DVD features that never were? Nice.
Old 03-10-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So rather then talk about the fact that Fox is re-releasing a title with 2.0 features, we are going to continue to diss HD DVD features that never were? Nice.
Ah come on Gizmo, nobody really gives a rat's ass about about a game you play with your BD remote. I would be more pissed off if they remastered the picture or sound instead.
Granted it is a pretty stupid decision to re-release something and not really adding anything of value but has that really stopped the studios before in the dvd days.
Old 03-10-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Sony and Fox might begin rereleasing titles with new bonus content.

Here Comes the Reaming: Blu-ray Movie Rereleases Coming with BD-Live
Doesn't really bother me one way or another. If there is no change to PQ or AQ, any double-dip on all but a small handful of titles will be most easy for me to avoid.
Old 03-10-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That doesn't really bother me too much. It's Fox and they well you know.
Old 03-10-08, 08:28 PM
Suspended

Looks like Lionsgate is opting to include a code you put into iTunes to get the "digital copy" vs. Fox and the extra DVD packed inside

Lionsgate is in the midst of working out an agreement with apple that will make it the latest movie studio to offer iTunes digital copies on select DVD and Blu-ray titles. In order to get a piece of the action you will have to redeem the copies using a code that will come packaged with the title. Then it is just a simple matter of plugging the code into iTunes and downloading. The first movies up for grabs with this addition are Rambo and The Eye, both of which will be released around the summer. Stallone and Alba kicking things off. Man, I can't wait.
Old 03-10-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, at least the original BD had both versions unlike the DVD double dip which only had the PG13 cut and a scant 10 months later the unrated one came out. If people want to double dip to play some dumb ass games while they should be watching the movie, more power to them.
Old 03-10-08, 09:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Weeds season 3 was nowhere near as strong as the first two seasons, but I'll still get it.
Old 03-10-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks like Lionsgate is opting to include a code you put into iTunes to get the "digital copy" vs. Fox and the extra DVD packed inside
I'm surprised that's not how Fox did it in the first place, especially considering how they are about copy protection. With the extra disc, there doesn't seem to be a way to track and control the copies.

As far as the double dips are concerned, they don't really bother me since I didn't double dip just for features with DVD. For me to buy something again, it usually had to have better picture and/or sound, though an improved transfer was more important than audio. I don't see that changing for BD. However, I would buy a remastered Edward Scissorhands.

What bothers me is that Fox's release schedule (all studios' schedules, really) is so sparse as it is, that I don't like the idea of these new versions taking slots away from other titles that haven't been released yet. I hope that something like Moulin Rouge or Fight Club won't get pushed back because they need to make room for another edition of Alien vs. Predator or X-Men III.
Old 03-10-08, 09:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm surprised that's not how Fox did it in the first place, especially considering how they are about copy protection. With the extra disc, there doesn't seem to be a way to track and control the copies.

As far as the double dips are concerned, they don't really bother me since I didn't double dip just for features with DVD. For me to buy something again, it usually had to have better picture and/or sound, though an improved transfer was more important than audio. I don't see that changing for BD. However, I would buy a remastered Edward Scissorhands.

What bothers me is that Fox's release schedule (all studios' schedules, really) is so sparse as it is, that I don't like the idea of these new versions taking slots away from other titles that haven't been released yet. I hope that something like Moulin Rouge or Fight Club won't get pushed back because they need to make room for another edition of Alien vs. Predator or X-Men III.
The Fox titles all require a unique code as well to be entered into iTunes before it downloads off the DVD (at least that how my Family Guy: Blue Harvest is). So there is a way to track. It appears that Lionsgate is opting to just have a code you input in and it downloads from iTunes itself vs. a DVD. I'd actually prefer it that way (and article I posted seems to make me think it does). It may also explain why Lionsgate is opting for a sticker on the plastic vs. a banner (on the artwork) for the Fox titles.

As for the double dips....They don't need to be done. I'd much rather have other unique titles then Fox (or any other studio) re-releasing titles that no one even cared about before (was AVP even a big seller at their insane pricing?). And if this title is not coming out with AVP2 is on Blu-ray...then whats the point? A tie-in would make sense...but not a separate release 3+ months later. Why not get X-Men I and II out? Fight Club? Why not Darjelling Limited when it came out 2 weeks ago? Boggles my mind.
Old 03-11-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dunno. A DRM-protected movie download I have zero interest in. Kinda defeats the portability / flexibility of a DVD.

Like, woo-hoo, I can download a copy of the movie and watch it on my computer. And transfer it to my non-existent iPod. Yippee?

I'd probably just give the code to someone who wanted a free rental on their computer.

Someday maybe they'll learn their lesson. This could be a valuable feature to me if it wasn't DRMed and I could take it to various computers or on my Nokia n800 Internet Tablet or PSP or burn to a DVD or whatever.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 03-11-08 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-11-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but what is Blu-ray.com like?

Are the forums any good? I think DVD Talk has one of the best forums on the web, but I'm just wondering what people think of the forums over there. Should I stay far away from them? Or is it safe?
Old 03-11-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman

Are the forums any good? I think DVD Talk has one of the best forums on the web, but I'm just wondering what people think of the forums over there. Should I stay far away from them? Or is it safe?
A 5-minute visit should convince any sane person to stay away from that loony bin.
Old 03-11-08, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I dunno. A DRM-protected movie download I have zero interest in. Kinda defeats the portability / flexibility of a DVD.

Like, woo-hoo, I can download a copy of the movie and watch it on my computer. And transfer it to my non-existent iPod. Yippee?

I'd probably just give the code to someone who wanted a free rental on their computer.

Someday maybe they'll learn their lesson. This could be a valuable feature to me if it wasn't DRMed and I could take it to various computers or on my Nokia n800 Internet Tablet or PSP or burn to a DVD or whatever.
Most people nowadays own an iPod in some form, usually being a newer one, or even an old 5G video version. I believe the Fox "Digital Copy" DVDs also work in your PSP because its a MP4 movie format, the same format Sony uses for their PSP and Apple for their iPod. I am almost certain you have the option of either iPod or PSP when you insert the "Digital Copy". It would make sense since Sony pretty much is the BDA and it would suck to exclude them for this (unless they would rather have people buy UMDs?). But today with Hitman coming out I'm sure someone can set this straight.
Old 03-11-08, 10:32 AM
Suspended

While there are some good people over there, this is how a typical thread goes.

Anyone see Michael Clayton? Any good?

Yeahz I sawed it. Blu-ray roxs! i heard the HD DUD version does not come out for like 3 weeks. hahahahaz

Yeah, HD DUD sucks!!!!1111
hey we should ask one of our insiders when INSERT MOVIE comes out!

lolz totally
I shit you not. That could very well be an actual thread right now. I sometimes browse at work, late at night, when I'm bored off my mind. Its pretty damn funny how some of the people over their act if you talk any trash about Blu-ray or the PS3.
Old 03-11-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dude, just go there and find out for yourself. Stop letting other people make your decisions for you.

It's not like it costs you money or takes a lot of time to check it out.
Old 03-11-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

AVS has turned to shit and allowed bogus posts from both sides throughout the war. HD Digest forums aren't exactly great either. That was a hideout for lots of HD DVD only owners who stayed in denial. I've read plenty of irrational posts there.

There's crazy posters on all forums, but blu-ray.com does have a nice Insider section.
Old 03-11-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts
this is what i will say about the blu-ray.com message boards - there is some useful information there, but you have to wade through a lot more inane garbage to get to anything of substance than on any other message board that i've ever read.

as for fox and other studios possibly double-dipping with 2.0 features, i'm all for it, as long as it doesn't interfere too much with releasing titles that aren't out yet. anything that the studios can do to set Blu-ray apart as superior to DVD is good for the format and BD-Live is definitely a way to do that.
Old 03-11-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Looks like Amazon dropped prices on a few Blu-rays......not sure if it's a sale or permanent, but I noticed Terminator, Usual Suspects, Hoosiers, et al. had all been reduced.
Old 03-11-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
AVS has turned to shit and allowed bogus posts from both sides throughout the war. HD Digest forums aren't exactly great either. That was a hideout for lots of HD DVD only owners who stayed in denial. I've read plenty of irrational posts there.

There's crazy posters on all forums, but blu-ray.com does have a nice Insider section.
+1.

I also enjoy the rant thread in off-topic, where they trash the biggest format war losers from AVS & elsewhere. Pretty one-sided & unchecked, but also pretty funny!
Old 03-11-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Looks like Amazon dropped prices on a few Blu-rays......not sure if it's a sale or permanent, but I noticed Terminator, Usual Suspects, Hoosiers, et al. had all been reduced.
Yeah, Fox has reduced the MSRP on their "older" catalog titles. Oddly enough they seem to be the first studio to reduce MSRP on any HDM as far I can tell. Why are not-so-new-anymore-releases like RV or Rumor Has still MSRP for $35-40? They should join the ranks of their lower priced catalog brethren at some point.
Old 03-11-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
there's an "up to 50% off" sale going on (for at least some of the titles you mentioned): link
Old 03-11-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Sony and Fox might begin rereleasing titles with new bonus content.

Here Comes the Reaming: Blu-ray Movie Rereleases Coming with BD-Live
Not shocked by this at all. I'm sure some will say "Well we knew double-dips would happen eventually", but then theres always "If Blu-ray was 2.0 when it launched, these features would/should have been present on the disc. But since there was no 2.0 (no required 1GB ram/ethernet port), they were not".
And how many completely suck-tastic releases did we get in the early days of DVD that we double and triple-dipped on later? The more things change...
Old 03-11-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wont double-dip for BD-live only.....if the quality is better, director's cut or other great extras, ill be tempted.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.