Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Isn't this a little over the top? Like it or not, HD DVDs sold at a rate of 1 for every 2 BD sold last week. It is easy to say "It doesn't exist" but the whole BDA and the studios should be in hyper-alarm mode about this ratio.

There are people waiting for that last "blow 'em out" price for HD DVD. This spike can't really be attributed to that, especially when the number 10 title for BD is one not readily available at retail.

BDs numbers are way down this week. Now the question is are they trending downwards?

Also, I could definitely see all the studios save Columbia pulling out of HDM altogether if sales don't pick up.

I was really shocked by that chart this week. The one you left out.
Isn't it a little over the top to assume he left the chart out for reasons other than he stated?
Old 04-13-08, 05:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Isn't this a little over the top? Like it or not, HD DVDs sold at a rate of 1 for every 2 BD sold last week. It is easy to say "It doesn't exist" but the whole BDA and the studios should be in hyper-alarm mode about this ratio.

There are people waiting for that last "blow 'em out" price for HD DVD. This spike can't really be attributed to that, especially when the number 10 title for BD is one not readily available at retail.

BDs numbers are way down this week. Now the question is are they trending downwards?

Also, I could definitely see all the studios save Columbia pulling out of HDM altogether if sales don't pick up.

I was really shocked by that chart this week. The one you left out.
Considering HD DVDs are no longer available at 95% of Best Buys and every other place is clearing them out or already gone (My Targets no longer carry them), that ratio is very alarming. Did a 50% sale at Circuit City (where most didn't have that many titles to begin with) spike the sales that much? If so, how low were Blu-ray sales last week?

According to the usual peeps over at Blu-ray.com, the Top 20 Blu-rays sold 319k movies. That would mean the Top 20 HD DVD sold roughly 179k movies last week (a bit more because the other 21-whatever are not counted, but a rough estimate). That's alot of movies sold at Circuit City as they were the only place having any type of advertised clearance sale.
Old 04-13-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now if only they sold that way when they weren't on clearance and unavailable everywhere.
Old 04-13-08, 05:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Now if only they sold that way when they weren't on clearance and unavailable everywhere.
...They did. Many weeks HD DVD was in the 30-45's...?
Old 04-13-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Actually you make a good point. Even at clearance prices they're not doing any better with volume. My mistake.
Old 04-13-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is exactly why the current ratio should NOT be alarming to anyone except the most die-hard gloom-and-doom pessimists.

Titles are marked down to bargain basement levels, and they can barely hold the same unit sales volume they did BEFORE the discounts, and you think that is a black eye for Blu-ray?

Listening to the resident Gloomy Gus posters in here, you'd think that the BDA (apparently aka "Sony" to some people) should just hang it all up today, simply because they haven't already completely eclipsed DVD (despite the fact that it's only been a scant two months since the real single-format "launch").

Just a thought, but maybe you should all wait until a real buying season begins, such as the fall of this year, and then bring out your predictions of imminent failure.
Old 04-13-08, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts
That's alot of movies sold at Circuit City as they were the only place having any type of advertised clearance sale.
That's why I want to know what is included in the numbers. Is it US only?

CC was the big B&M sale last week, but a LOT of internet stores have lowered prices.
Old 04-13-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
It's too bad there's so much emphasis on sales and not quality, title selection, etc. This sort of deep emotional attachment to one format or the other really doesn't show any signs of stopping. Closing. If one of the other mods wants to clean this up, feel free. At this point, I really don't think there's any point in having an all-in-one Blu-ray news thread. Just post any relevant news in its own thread.