Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Old 02-29-16, 10:18 AM
  #101  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,542
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

It seems Doctor Who wasn't just taken off of Hulu. All sites have removed the episodes unfortunately.
shadokitty is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 10:28 AM
  #102  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 328
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

The weekend was hectic but I got in some quality challenge viewing.

First of all, what a great show The Time Tunnel was! I remember being a regular viewer when it first aired but haven't seen an episode in decades. I watched the first three yesterday and was totally entertained. The time tunnel set was much more elaborate than I recalled and still looks really good. There was also more time spent with the crew at the base than I remembered and I didn't recall that Tony and Doug had very different personalities. It's not a perfect show but the stories kept me watching and wishing I had time to fit more in.

I also watched a few episodes of Captain Z-Ro, a kid's show from the mid-1950's about a "research explorer in time and space". Given the time period and the fact that it was a kid's show the miniature work was pretty good as were the acting and the stories. The costumes were a bit much though especially the silly looking helmets they put on when they go into action. The Captain looks a bit satanic with his dark bushy eyebrows, thin mustache and tiny goatee. He's accompanied by a teen sidekick name Jet who tends to daydream a lot. I watched three shows but only two involved time travel but from the titles of the rest it seems like most of the shows do involve trips to the past. I have this on the Mill Creek Classic Sci-Fi TV set. I checked and it's also available on Youtube. Worth checking out especially if you're a fan of early television like I am.
omike is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 11:17 AM
  #103  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,633
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
29th - Groundhog Day type stuff (12:01, Source Code, more examples coming)
Edge of Tomorrow (sorry, I refuse to call it Live Die Repeat despite the attempted home-media rebrand)

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
And while we're on this subject, I just went to place an Amazon order and have the Pantry option again instead of the digital content.

Wish I could back in time ( ) and get some digital credit.
I wanted to order three sets of cheap headphones the other day, and two ($5.67 and $16.75) offered digital credits and one ($9.69) had Pantry. I deleted the last from my cart and readded it, and changed computers to try to get a different result, but no dice. I still haven't pulled the trigger on that third one.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 11:26 AM
  #104  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,542
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Regarding pantry credit. That's why I never went for slow shipping. I was always told I would get pantry credit. Why would I buy groceries from Amazon?
shadokitty is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 01:02 PM
  #105  
Senior Member
 
KaBluie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 884
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge


Rachel McAdams Time Travel Triple Feature

2016-02-29
1. The Time Traveler's Wife (2009-08-14) DVD
2. Midnight In Paris (2011-05-11) DVD
3. About Time (2013-06-27) DVD



__________________
My 2010 Lists - (B-Movie/Make-Your-Own/Historical/Sci-Fi/Animation/Criterion/Horror/Holiday)
My 2011 Lists - (TV On DVD/Academy Award/B-Movie/Make-Your-Own/Historical/Sci-Fi/Animation/Horror/Comedy/Holiday)
My 2012 Lists - (TV On DVD/Leap Day/Action/B-Movie/Make-Your-Own/Historical/Sci-Fi/Animation/Criterion/Horror/Comedy/Holiday)
My 2013 Lists - (TV On DVD/Academy Award/Action/B-Movie/Make-Your-Own/Historical/Sci-Fi/Animation/Horror/Comedy/Holiday)
My 2014 Lists - (TV On DVD/Academy Award/Action/B-Movie/Make-Your-Own/Historical/Sci-Fi/Animation/Horror/Comedy/Holiday)
My 2015 Lists - (TV On DVD/Academy Award/Action/B-Movie/Make-Your-Own/Historical/Sci-Fi/Animation/Horror/Comedy/Holiday)
My 2016 Lists - (TV On DVD/Academy Award/Leap Day)

Last edited by KaBluie; 02-29-16 at 02:38 PM.
KaBluie is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 01:27 PM
  #106  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,920
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Twelve Monkeys is such a great ride.
I debated on whether or not to watch that one last night as my final movie of the evening. I ultimately went for Terminator 2 instead as it doesn't require as much attention and I was feeling a bit sleepy when I put it on. I was surprised I made it all the way through!
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 01:31 PM
  #107  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,920
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
It seems Doctor Who wasn't just taken off of Hulu. All sites have removed the episodes unfortunately.
That's why I always prefer physical for stuff I truly like. Streaming is for sampling only.
Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Regarding pantry credit. That's why I never went for slow shipping. I was always told I would get pantry credit. Why would I buy groceries from Amazon?
They *do* have good deals on occasion. I typically try to combine one of their "Buy 5, get free shipping" offers with the credit to save a few bucks. But that only works if there are actually 5 qualifying items we need which doesn't happen that often. Most of those go unredeemed.
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 01:41 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,920
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by omike View Post
The weekend was hectic but I got in some quality challenge viewing.

First of all, what a great show The Time Tunnel was! I remember being a regular viewer when it first aired but haven't seen an episode in decades. I watched the first three yesterday and was totally entertained. The time tunnel set was much more elaborate than I recalled and still looks really good. There was also more time spent with the crew at the base than I remembered and I didn't recall that Tony and Doug had very different personalities. It's not a perfect show but the stories kept me watching and wishing I had time to fit more in.
I've loved the show since its original airings and am working my way through it myself. The last time for me was during the First Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge. While there *are* a few clunkers, most of the episodes are quite good and interesting, even after repeat viewings. I recently read a review where it was said Dr. Ann MacGregor (Lee Meriwether) spends her time "in a tizzy" and being the "helpless woman" type. So I've been paying more attention to her actions than usual and am just not seeing what that reviewer saw. In one, she was the "calm during the storm" pulling a wire loose from a console to create a makeshift defibrillator to save another scientist's life. That's not a "helpless woman" type...

I really like the set. My only complaint, during the original airings as well as now, is they should have moved the back wall of the tunnel, with the forced perspective, a bit further back. I'm always bothered by the obvious shadows on that back wall. Another 10' or so would have eliminated that issue.
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 02:56 PM
  #109  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,621
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Regarding pantry credit. That's why I never went for slow shipping. I was always told I would get pantry credit. Why would I buy groceries from Amazon?
Because they often have great prices, and with pantry credit and the free shipping choices, you can get stuff for almost free.
Trevor is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 03:13 PM
  #110  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,621
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Edge of Tomorrow (sorry, I refuse to call it Live Die Repeat despite the attempted home-media rebrand)
I remember being confused when I first saw that in stores, thinking, "Tom Cruise did two action movies this year?"

But thanks for the reminder! Been waiting for this Challenge to finally watch this.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I debated on whether or not to watch that one last night as my final movie of the evening. I ultimately went for Terminator 2 instead as it doesn't require as much attention and I was feeling a bit sleepy when I put it on. I was surprised I made it all the way through!
I was debating the same choices last night! And also super sleepy (it was 1am) and thought I'd only make it a few minutes into Twelve Monkeys. But after starting it I realized that I hadn't seen it in years (decade?) and was enthralled until the end.

Last edited by Trevor; 02-29-16 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Punctuation error
Trevor is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 03:23 PM
  #111  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 328
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I recently read a review where it was said Dr. Ann MacGregor (Lee Meriwether) spends her time "in a tizzy" and being the "helpless woman" type. So I've been paying more attention to her actions than usual and am just not seeing what that reviewer saw. In one, she was the "calm during the storm" pulling a wire loose from a console to create a makeshift defibrillator to save another scientist's life. That's not a "helpless woman" type...
That was in the third episode, the one about the trapped miners and the comet. It was a great scene. All the men were standing around yelling for someone to get the defib unit and Ann just took charge and did what you said. I admit I was kind of surprised to see that in a mid 60's action show although I never remembered Ann as the "tizzy" type.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I really like the set. My only complaint, during the original airings as well as now, is they should have moved the back wall of the tunnel, with the forced perspective, a bit further back. I'm always bothered by the obvious shadows on that back wall. Another 10' or so would have eliminated that issue.
I also agree about the shadows in the tunnel - they're kind of distracting. Another shot that I really liked is the one before they get to the tunnel set in the vast cavern with the housing units, I guess, and power supply. I immediately flashed on that great, similar scene in Forbidden Planet but was also impressed at how well done this one in Time Tunnel was.
omike is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 03:51 PM
  #112  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,920
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by omike View Post
Another shot that I really liked is the one before they get to the tunnel set in the vast cavern with the housing units, I guess, and power supply. I immediately flashed on that great, similar scene in Forbidden Planet but was also impressed at how well done this one in Time Tunnel was.
I like that one, too. On occasion it bothers me it's a "library" shot. The same grouping of workers move across the walkways the same way every time. Much like when the Batmobile pulls up to the Gotham Police Building - the same pedestrians are *always* hanging around/walking by with Batman and Robin exiting the car and entering the building in exactly the same way as before (my 4.5 year old granddaughter spotted that one on her own!).
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 05:35 PM
  #113  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,621
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Did anyone see Oblivion? Was there any time travel in it? Although, if that's a spoiler, maybe just PM me. Or not, so I'm surprised.
Trevor is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 06:02 PM
  #114  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,920
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Did anyone see Oblivion? Was there any time travel in it? Although, if that's a spoiler, maybe just PM me. Or not, so I'm surprised.
Yes. No. It's pretty good though.

I was going to watch Groundhog Day for today's theme but can't find my copy. Then I remembered my granddaughter left Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (1999) at my house (it gets viewed far more than I'd like) and that one of the segments, "Donald Duck: Stuck on Christmas," is basically Groundhog Day at Christmas, Disney style. At least it's enjoyable.

I watched Interstellar (2014) yesterday afternoon. While it's "OK," it's another of those films where I just don't see in it what others apparently see. It's very good visually but the science is rather sketchy. I found myself laughing, and I'm sure it wasn't intended, at several segments, especially a couple of times after Cooper went into the black hole. More than a few times I was in disbelief at the "logic" used for important decisions. I'm glad I've seen it but doubt I'll watch it again any time soon.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 02-29-16 at 06:18 PM.
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 06:16 PM
  #115  
Senior Member
 
malazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 575
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Can we get a second thumbs up Ash? I need more exposure to anime.
I am loving it through the 8 episodes that aired so far, but there are still 4 episodes left for it to have a bad ending which is terribly common with current day anime series. I am very hopeful though. I'll try to remember to post something in the March challenge thread about if it ends well.
malazar is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 06:17 PM
  #116  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,621
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Yes. No. It's pretty good though.
Thanks Bob. It was next to Edge of Tomorrow when I found that one, and the description was vague enough to make me wonder.

Speaking of Edge of Tomorrow, I'm loving it so far. Great follow-up to my earlier Groundhog Day.
Trevor is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 06:17 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,422
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Regarding pantry credit. That's why I never went for slow shipping. I was always told I would get pantry credit. Why would I buy groceries from Amazon?
I've tried this once and was pleased with it, actually. The shipping is the main reason I haven't had another order, though. They offer a few things (mainly a certain tea brand) that I can't buy here in town in any of my grocery stores and have fairly competitive prices for food/snacks. I'll have to check the next time I make an order if that's available.

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Edge of Tomorrow (sorry, I refuse to call it Live Die Repeat despite the attempted home-media rebrand)
Oh, thanks for mentioning this, I've been meaning to watch this and had totally forgotten it would count!
LJG765 is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 06:41 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,784
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I was going to watch Groundhog Day for today's theme but can't find my copy. Then I remembered my granddaughter left Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (1999) at my house (it gets viewed far more than I'd like) and that one of the segments, "Donald Duck: Stuck on Christmas," is basically Groundhog Day at Christmas, Disney style. At least it's enjoyable.
That is a good one, yes.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I watched Interstellar (2014) yesterday afternoon. While it's "OK," it's another of those films where I just don't see in it what others apparently see..
I wondered whether to try and fit that in yesterday, but... I just couldn't find three hours to attempt it. Maybe during March..
ntnon is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 06:43 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,784
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Speaking of Edge of Tomorrow, I'm loving it so far. Great follow-up to my earlier Groundhog Day.
I remember hearing about mixed-to-poor reviews, and then the namechange sort of cemented that, so I was VERY (pleasantly) surprised when I watched ut that it's really very enjoyable abd well done.
ntnon is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 06:44 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,784
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

LIST

FEB29
X-Men: Days of Future Past [Rogue Cut]
12:01pm

MAR01
Time Stalkers

Last edited by ntnon; 03-02-16 at 09:10 AM.
ntnon is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 08:41 PM
  #121  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ga
Posts: 532
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

I've had to work all day, so I'm just watching the new episode of 11/22/63 and going to bed. lol
MrTerrific is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 08:42 PM
  #122  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,920
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Speaking of Edge of Tomorrow, I'm loving it so far. Great follow-up to my earlier Groundhog Day.
Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
I remember hearing about mixed-to-poor reviews, and then the namechange sort of cemented that, so I was VERY (pleasantly) surprised when I watched ut that it's really very enjoyable abd well done.
Until it was mentioned here I don't recall ever hearing about that one. I looked it up at IMDB and it sounds very interesting plus has several good reviews from sites/reviewers I trust. So I checked a few places for a "inexpensive" copy. It seems that Hastings has *new* copies of the BR/DVD/Digital combo pack for $11.24 after shipping when ordered from their Amazon store - it's $31.15 + shipping/tax (~$35 for me) on their own site. I snagged a copy from their Amazon MP store. It won't arrive in time for this one but I can use it next month or save it for July.
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 09:00 PM
  #123  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,542
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Among other shows, I'm also watching The Time Tunnel. While I won't say it was a tizzy, perhaps the reviewer was talking about how worried Ann was when the Captain was going to jettison Doug and Tony in the second episode, 'One Way to the Moon'. I'm enjoying revisiting the show, though the first three episodes have to be watched on Hulu, as I'm missing Disc One.
shadokitty is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 09:04 PM
  #124  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,784
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Until it was mentioned here I don't recall ever hearing about that one. I looked it up at IMDB and it sounds very interesting plus has several good reviews from sites/reviewers I trust..
It's pretty decent. I may have to watch it this month, too, now..!
ntnon is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 09:08 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,542
Re: DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16

Regarding Interstellar, it was an interesting movie, though I wouldn't rank it as a classic. I liked it, but I didn't love it, and I thought the three hour run time was a little long.
shadokitty is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.