Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rate My DVD Collection

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-10, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Rate My DVD Collection

I'll throw my collection into the mix also.

http://biglou114.dvdaf.com/owned
Old 01-17-10, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by biglou114
I'll throw my collection into the mix also.
WOW! really nice collection 500 Days of Summer, 39 Steps, Arrested Development, Bottle Rocket, Breakfast Club, Bill & Ted's, Freaks & Geeks, The General, Godfather, A lot of Beatles, Pink Floyd, Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Capra, Tarantino, Wallace & Gromit etc, etc
I either own or been meaning to see at least 89% of your collection. Our tastes even in music are very much alike. I'm definitely biased but A+
Old 01-18-10, 12:15 PM

PS: For any one who disses out Anime or Animation in general. Do yourself a favor a watch "Neon Genesis Evangelion". The Animation medium can be as effective as real life movies and there is things that you can do there that are very hard to express or make believable with real actors.
Old 01-19-10, 02:27 PM

I guess I will give it a try. I think that I have a decent collection. I have always gotten good remarks about it.

Jacob

http://jacob32.dvdaf.com/owned
Old 01-24-10, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
I don't have a link to terrible chong's collection
previous page
Old 01-24-10, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by nando820
PS: For any one who disses out Anime or Animation in general. Do yourself a favor a watch "Neon Genesis Evangelion". The Animation medium can be as effective as real life movies and there is things that you can do there that are very hard to express or make believable with real actors.
funny, that's why i'm not into anime. i find it unbelievable. there are infinite things about live action that are impossible to do with animation. an animated figure (especially highly stylized ones like anime) can never match the expression of a real person in a real environment

when i watch movies, i appreciate the craft and effort behind the acting, cinematography, set and prop design, shooting locations, etc.

i'm not saying animation doesn't take skill, but it does bypass major elements of the art of moviemaking

if you watch movies for escapism, i can understand why anime is appealing. it's all about immersion in a highly stylized universe that has nothing to do with reality. giant robots, petite girls with huge eyes and impossible fighting moves

but i can't imagine anime effectively dealing with the content of films like, say, Glengarry Glen Ross or Full Metal Jacket

(and lest i be thought some humorless film snob, let me say i am a big fan of Adult Swim animated stuff like Metalocalypse and the Venture Bros. i also have my share of sci-fi and fantasy in my collection... hell Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies)

Last edited by terrible chong; 01-24-10 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-24-10, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by JACOB
I guess I will give it a try. I think that I have a decent collection. I have always gotten good remarks about it.

Jacob

http://jacob32.dvdaf.com/owned
hey, nice. quite a range from popcorn to serious stuff.
i like it when a person can equally appreciate Unforgiven and Big Trouble in Little China

i also see there are titles you own for nostalgia reasons. probably they were movies you grew up watching. i'm the same way. Young Sherlock Holmes? heh we are probably around the same age

i see you own John Landis's Innocent Blood, which i also own and enjoy for inexplicable reasons. who knew a vampire-mafia-black comedy would have such appeal?
Old 01-24-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by terrible chong
if you watch movies for escapism, i can understand why anime is appealing. it's all about immersion in a highly stylized universe that has nothing to do with reality. giant robots, petite girls with huge eyes and impossible fighting moves
You are very naive in regards to anime. Check out "Grave of the Fireflies" and let us know what you think.
Old 01-24-10, 05:10 PM

thank you for the kind words about my collection.

Jacob
Old 01-24-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Terrible Chong, have u seen any hayao miyazaki films?
Old 01-24-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I can't imagine he has.
Old 01-25-10, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

noirfan,

had a quick look at yours since we seem to have similar tastes, a few thoughts (from my own collection) :

TV

Breaking Bad
Dexter
Slings and Arrows

Movies

13 Tzameti
4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days
After the Wedding
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Atonement
Audition
El Aura
The Bad Sleep Well
Ballad of a Soldier
The Beat that my Heart Skipped
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Birth
Black Book
Body and Soul
Bound
The Browning Version
La Ceremonie
Children of Men
Un Coeur en Hiver
Coup de Grace
Coup de Torchon
The Cranes are Flying

That's upto C, if you are interested in more, let me know and I will go through the rest
Old 01-25-10, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by terrible chong
funny, that's why i'm not into anime. i find it unbelievable. there are infinite things about live action that are impossible to do with animation. an animated figure (especially highly stylized ones like anime) can never match the expression of a real person in a real environment

when i watch movies, i appreciate the craft and effort behind the acting, cinematography, set and prop design, shooting locations, etc.

i'm not saying animation doesn't take skill, but it does bypass major elements of the art of moviemaking

but i can't imagine anime effectively dealing with the content of films like, say, Glengarry Glen Ross or Full Metal Jacket

(and lest i be thought some humorless film snob, let me say i am a big fan of Adult Swim animated stuff like Metalocalypse and the Venture Bros. i also have my share of sci-fi and fantasy in my collection... hell Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies)
That is why like others too have said watch some Miyasaki Films, Neon Genesis Evangelion, or Grave of the Fireflies and then see if you think the same, maybe you will, but these are fine examples of true masterpieces in storytelling, psychoanalytical examination and social commentary.

It is like comparing theater to movies, they both can accomplish the same level of deepness but they use different technics. In theater you overemphasize your emotions and words so it becomes apparent to everyone in the audience. In movies you can be more subtle and let the viewer relay on your expressions yet the connection between you and the performer is less connected.

Its not about how many words you use to tell a story, or how many fighting sequences there are or how impressive the cinematography is, but how effective you are with the tools given in order to reach the audience and take your point across.

Last edited by nando820; 01-25-10 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
You are very naive in regards to anime. Check out "Grave of the Fireflies" and let us know what you think.
i've seen Grave of the Fireflies. i respect the fact that it was trying to do something different from the vast majority of anime.

but the fact remains it is a highly stylized cartoon.

i am not saying animation can't be interesting or even touching.
but to repeat: animation bypasses major elements of the cinematic art.
acting, camera work, even costume and make up.
this is inarguable.
Old 01-25-10, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
yes. i can't stand his visual style. it's too fucking precious.
my nieces love it though.
Old 01-25-10, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by nando820
That is why like others too have said watch some Miyasaki Films, Neon Genesis Evangelion, or Grave of the Fireflies and then see if you think the same, maybe you will, but these are fine examples of true masterpieces in storytelling, psychoanalytical examination and social commentary.
"true masterpieces?" come on. no offense, but we're not talking about Ernest Hemingway here.

what attracts people to anime? it's not psychoanalysis and social commentary. you can get that from literature or non-animated cinema

people are attracted to anime for the escapist stylized fantasy. the vast majority of the genre caters to that. it's undeniable.
for every Grave of the Fireflies, there are dozens if not hundreds of titles involving giant robots, cute monsters, blue-haired female warriors in skin tight outfits, etc. etc.

i say again, anime doesn't deal with stories like Glengarry Glen Ross or Full Metal Jacket. that's just the nature of the genre.

It is like comparing theater to movies, they both can accomplish the same level of deepness but they use different technics. In theater you overemphasize your emotions and words so it becomes apparent to everyone in the audience. In movies you can be more subtle and let the viewer relay on your expressions yet the connection between you and the performer is less connected.

Its not about how many words you use to tell a story, or how many fighting sequences there are or how impressive the cinematography is, but how effective you are with the tools given in order to reach the audience and take your point across.
you seem to be over-intellectualizing here.
look, if you like anime, you like anime. you're into mecha and all that. just be honest about it. don't dress it up

i like some animated stuff too. but i'm not watching Metalocalpyse because it's high art. i watch it because it's a ridiculous cartoon about "the world's most powerful death metal band." and i'm not going to compare it to Apocalypse Now
Old 01-25-10, 10:48 PM

I would say that something like Barefoot Gen or Grave of the Fireflies has every bit the emotional impact of Apocalypse Now. I don't think he is over-intellectualizing as much as you are trivializing and over-generalizing. For every Apocalypse Now, there are 100 pieces are garbage like Stan Helsing or an Epic Movie. Don't go getting all uppity about live action film. I'm no huge anime fan, but dismissing it out of hand is really insulting and doesn't speak well of your taste or analytical abilities.
Old 01-26-10, 12:38 PM

zombeaner ,

I know you haven't asked for your collection to be rated but I couldn't help to look and let me say you have an amazing collection. For a collection that spans more than 3000 titles, you have very very few movies that I would consider bad. You are all over the map Silents, Foreign, Animation, etc, etc
You own "Forbidden Zone" I have only met one person in my life who seen that movie too and You have "Ladron que Roba a Ladron" the mexican Ocean's Eleven. I would recommend you "Dias de Santiago" is a very interesting Peruvian movie, you might like it.

I hope one day i can build a collection as selective as yours...
Old 01-26-10, 12:53 PM

Thanks. People can feel free to give their opinions. I'm in the process of culling the collection, but I can never manage to get much out!
Old 01-26-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone want to take a look at my collection again? I'm curious.

By the way, for most categories my "to watch" consists of things I've seen - just not since buying. But for the Cinema section (regular DVD movies) that is definetly not the case at all anymore. Big Lots and other inexpensive online sales have ruined my record a bit...
Old 01-26-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestions nitin77 - I've actually seen quite a few of those, with the remainder already in my wishlist or Netflix queue! Shows we have similar tastes. BTDKYD was a wonderful return to form for Lumet. I'll have to check out Un Coeur en Hiver.
Old 01-27-10, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cool, I might go through and suggest some more when I get some time.
Old 01-27-10, 06:43 PM

Anyone care to check mine out? Beware though, I have some terribly unwatchable comedies such as Justin to Kelly.

http://drew4824.dvdaf.com/
Old 01-27-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drew4824
Anyone care to check mine out? Beware though, I have some terribly unwatchable comedies such as Justin to Kelly.

http://drew4824.dvdaf.com/
If you like your collection then all the more power to you... I think I'd rate it a 'B'. You own many good films, but also several that I dislike and wouldn't want to own myself. This comment is a reflection more of my own personal taste than of yours.
Old 01-28-10, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

noirfan,

some more suggestions in the D-F category (again from my own collection) :

Dead Man's Shoes
Dead Ringers
Death and the Maiden
Death of a Cyclist
The Descent
The Devil's Backbone
The Devil is a Woman
Diary of a Chambermaid
Downfall
Dragonwyck
The Duellists
Earrings of Madame De
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Europa
Exiled
The Exterminating Angel
Fanny and Alexander
The Far Country
The Fire Within
A Fish Called Wanda
Five Graves to Cairo
Flame and Citron
Un Flic
Foreign Correspondent
French Connection 2
The Freinds of Eddie Coyle
Frost/Nixon

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.