Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Update from Outpost Gallifrey (Sadly, one of their last updates):

Return of the Master Set

Full details have now been confirmed for January 2007's box set release from BBC DVD/2|Entertain. The Return of the Master will, as previously reported, comprise the 1980s 'trilogy' of The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva, which saw Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor bow out in favour of Peter Davison. The Doctor Who Restoration Team and the official BBC Doctor Who site have revealed the set's special features, while the Restoration Team have, as always, posted an article describing the work done to produce the set. The extras include the following:

The Keeper of Traken
* Commentary from actors Anthony Ainley, Matthew Waterhouse and Sarah Sutton, plus writer Johnny Byrne.
* Being Nice to Each Other (dur. 30' 04") - a new documentary looking at the making of this story through the eyes of the cast and crew. Featuring actors Sarah Sutton, Sheila Ruskin, Geoffrey Beevers, director John Black, writer Johnny Byrne and script editor Christopher H. Bidmead. Narrated by George Williams.
* The Return of the Master (dur. 08' 40") - Geoffrey Beevers, Christopher H. Bidmead and John Black talk about how they realised the return of the Doctor's arch-adversary.
* Sarah Sutton on Swap Shop (dur. 11' 14") - Noel Edmonds interviews Sarah Sutton, with questions phoned in from young viewers.

Logopolis
* Commentary from actors Tom Baker and Janet Fielding, plus writer Christopher H. Bidmead.
* A New Body at Last (dur. 50' 20") - a new documentary covering the transition from Tom Baker to Peter Davison. Featuring actors Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Matthew Waterhouse, Sarah Sutton and Adrian Gibbs, script editor Christopher H. Bidmead, directors Peter Moffatt and John Black. Narrated by Denis Lawson.
* Nationwide - Tom Baker (dur. 4' 30") - an interview with Tom Baker from the BBC news magazine show.
* Nationwide - Peter Davison (dur. 3' 40") - an interview with Peter Davison on his forthcoming role as the Doctor.
* Pebble Mill at One - Peter Davison (dur. 12' 00") - Peter Davison interviewed on the long-running BBC lunchtime show.
* News Items (dur. 1' 55") - a selection of BBC News items, including reports on Tom Baker and Lalla Ward's wedding, the announcement of Tom Baker's departure and Peter Davison's arrival.

Castrovalva
* Commentary from actors Peter Davison and Janet Fielding, plus director Fiona Cumming and writer Christopher H. Bidmead.
* Being Doctor Who (dur. 13' 29") - Peter Davison discusses his casting and time as the Fifth Doctor.
* Directing Castrovalva (dur. 11' 19") - Fiona Cumming talks about directing Peter Davison's debut story.
* The Crowded TARDIS (dur. 11' 25") - by the end of Tom Baker's tenure, the TARDIS crew had grown from the usual one companion to three. This featurette examines the reasons behind this change of direction. Featuring actors Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton, director John Black and script editor Christopher H. Bidmead. Narrated by George Williams.
* Blue Peter - Peter Davison (dur. 9' 15") - Peter Davison interviewed on the popular children's magazine show.
* Swap Shop - Peter Davison (dur. 20' 40" ) - Noel Edmonds interviews Peter Davison, with questions phoned in from young viewers.
* Deleted Scenes (dur. 1' 34") - two deleted scenes from the story.
* Theme Music Video (dur. 3' 34") - a brand new remix of Peter Howell's version of the theme music for the series, exclusively remixed from the original multitrack master. Option to listen to the music in either stereo (default) or Dolby Digital 5.1 surround versions.

Each story will also feature Programme Subtitles, Subtitle Production Notes, TV trails and continuity announcements, Photo Galleries, isolated synchronous music, PDF Material - the 1980 Doctor Who Annual, Radio Times listings and the BBC Enterprises Season 18/19 sales literature as Adobe pdf files for viewing on PC or Mac.
Old 10-22-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

R1 News: The Invasion & The Sontaran Experiment - 3/07

From Steve Manfred's Site:

MARCH CLASSIC SERIES TITLES ARE REVEALED
BBC Worldwide Americas have (through their sales website at bbcamericashop.com) revealed the identity of the 2 classic series
titles that will be released in March of 2007. They are...

The Invasion starring Patrick Troughton (8 episodes [6 original, 2 animated], 2 discs, $34.98) and

The Sontaran Experiment starring Tom Baker (2 episodes, 1 disc, $19.98)

The Invasion is a classic black-and-white story that was a rematch with the Cybermen, and was the first story to feature the United Nations
Intelligence Taskforce (UNIT). This release is uniquely anticipated for the innovative method that has been used to recreate the two
episodes of this 8-part serial that no longer exist in the BBC archives (these are parts 1 and 4). Soundtrack recordings made at the time
of the original broadcast by fans at home with tape recorders have been mated with newly created black-and-white Flash animations realised
by Cosgrove Hall, the UK animation house famous for Danger Mouse and the 2003 BBC Online Doctor Who webcast The Scream of the Shalka.
The animations have been made to as closely resememble the original shots (as dictated by the camera scripts) as possible.
The other 6 episodes still exist and have been given the normal full restoration treatment.

The Sontaran Experiment will be the first release from what is being called the “standard edition” range. These are DVDs that will have
more limited extra features, but will also be cheaper to buy as a result. (The suggested retail price in North America will be $5 less than usual
in fact.) The story has still been given the full restoration treatment, and will feature a commentary, production notes subtitles, and one
simple featurette. This will also enable the UK release pace to increase in speed, as less time is needed to prepare “standard editions.”
In the UK, there will now be 6 “special edition” releases per year (as has been the case for the last several years) plus 4 of these “standard” ones.
There is no word yet on whether or not the North American pace will increase as well. If it does, I wouldn’t expect it to kick in, so to speak,
until the second half of 2007 at the earliest. (This discussion only applies to the classic series range. The new series DVDs are being
handled on their own schedule independently.)
Old 10-22-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
thanks for the update, for so many years I was relying solely on Outpost Gallifrey for my news. It's my home page, in fact.
Old 10-22-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Autotelik
thanks for the update, for so many years I was relying solely on Outpost Gallifrey for my news. It's my home page, in fact.

Ditto. It's going to be rough now that they've stopped reporting the news. I'm not use to getting info via the grapevine. It's like combing through newsgroups again.

Someone should create a new Outpost Gallifrey-esque website to report the news and nothing else.
Old 10-23-06, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
excellent...I cannot wait to see how the animated episodes of The Invasion look.
Old 10-24-06, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure how many this will help, but following this link from the CD Wow thread in the Intl Forum here will get you a price of $14.95 on The Invasion and $9.95 on Hand of Fear, to name two discounted titles. These are the R2 UK releases, obviously. Several other Who R2 discs are very cheap as well, for those who don't wish to wait. Considering I had pre-ordered Invasion for about $26 at Amazon UK, this is a huge savings. And if you have any of their e-coupons, it's an even better deal.
Old 11-03-06, 02:14 PM

What's happened to the chaameleon-circuit.org.uk ? Does anyone know? So far decked out every DVD sleeve in the alternative artwork from this site and they're WAY better than either the BBC or Warner sleeves, plus it unified all R1 & R2 releases spines, which made me a very happy camper

Would be gutted if it's come to an end.
Old 11-03-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
hmmm.... i didn't know about this, but after digging around in the outpost gallifrey forums, it appears the site has been offline since early October or late September. The hoster was too busy to maintain it so it's gone. Those were my favorite fan covers too, but I never got around to downloading any of them. I would periodically go there and just look at them, but never printed or downloaded them because I always assumed they would be around. That's pretty dumb of me.
Old 11-03-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I shall take that chameleon circuit link off the front page.

A moment of silence for it's passing........
Old 11-03-06, 11:57 PM

Buy.com claims to have Tuesday's titles in stock already, and eligible for free shipping, at $22.07 each. Find yourselves some books selling for $8 or so and use the $10 off Google checkout coupon twice. I've just did ;-)
Old 11-04-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Update from Outpost Gallifrey (Sadly, one of their last updates):
Full details have now been confirmed for January 2007's box set release from BBC DVD/2|Entertain. The Return of the Master will, as previously reported, comprise the 1980s 'trilogy' of The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva, which saw Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor bow out in favour of Peter Davison. The Doctor Who Restoration Team and the official BBC Doctor Who site have revealed the set's special features, while the Restoration Team have, as always, posted an article describing the work done to produce the set. The extras include the following:
Hi. Is this region 1 or region 2 only?
Old 11-04-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So far, The Return of the Master box set is Region 2.

Everyone's guessing that the Region 1 release will be spring of 07.
Old 11-04-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alrighty, I finally updated the first three Posts with the most up-to-date news including:
  • Release dates for both Regions 1 & 2
  • Covers for the upcoming Region 1 releases
  • Release Grid updated for both Regions 1 & 2
  • Added Torchwood to the Misc. Section

That should do it for now. It's a great time to be a Who fan!
Old 11-08-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's inside the upcoming Series 2 Box Set (and probably what we'll get too):

Old 11-08-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Invasion & The Sontaran Experiment UPDATE

From TVShowsonDVD.com

Doctor Who - March titles announced (updated with Art and Extras)
Posted by Gord Lacey

BBC has announced the two March Doctor Who titles:

Doctor Who: The Invasion - When the Doctor (Patrick Troughton), Zoe and Jamie investigate the disappearance of an eminent scientist, their search brings them to International Electromatics, whose managing director has a secret strategy for world control. Lost episodes 1 and 4 have been recreated using original audio enhanced with animation from Cosgrove Hall.

Commentary tracks featuring James Goss, Mark Ayres, Steve Maher, Wendy Padbury, Frazer Hines, Chris D'Oyly-John and Nicholas Courtney
Flash Frames
Love Off-Air
Character Design
Animated trailers
Evolution of the Invasion
Photo Gallery

Doctor Who: The Sontaran Experiment - The Doctor (Tom Baker), Sarah Jane and Harry return from the space station Nerva to Earth 10,000 years in the future. The desolate landscape that once was the site of Piccadilly Circus has become the testing ground for the human race.
Audio Commentary by actress Elisabeth Sladen, co-writer Bob Baker and producer Philip Hinchcliffe.

Built for War A 39-minute history of the Sontaran race
Photo gallery (4 mins)
Both sets will be released on March 6, and will retail for $34.98 (Invasion) and $19.98 (Sontaran Experiment). The Invasion comes with 90 mins of bonus material, while The Sontaran Experiment comes with 43 mins.

Old 11-09-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ohhh that Invasion DVD looks awesome, I can't wait to see it. If the animation is a success, I'd love to see them do that with all the lost episodes.

I picked up Mark of the Rani at Best Buy yesterday for $22.95. Colin Baker is my favorite Doctor and this DVD is fantastic, I love the extras. I'll be getting Hand of Fear next week.

speaking of Best Buy, does anyone know why they always put Doctor Who in the sci fi section and not in the TV Shows section? I always move a few over to the TV section myself.
Old 11-09-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm waiting to pick up Mark of the Rani & Hand of Fear from DDD.com later this week. Mark of the Rani is one of the better Baker stories. I'm hoping and praying that we'll get a Trial of a Time Lord box set soon.

The only time I've seen Doctor Who in the Best Buy TV Section was when the ninth Doctor box set came out.
Old 11-09-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also saw the new individual Ninth Doctor DVDs (Volumes 1-4) at Best Buy for $19.99 each. I like the artwork design of those cases.
Old 11-09-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. I love the artwork for the vanilla releases. Being such a completist, I'll probably pick them up one day.
Old 11-09-06, 11:11 PM

man...that Sontaran cover is just uglier than normal.

could they have found a worse-looking Tom Baker shot or what?
Old 11-10-06, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Yeah. I love the artwork for the vanilla releases. Being such a completist, I'll probably pick them up one day.
yeah me too, they will look nice on the shelf next to the classic series discs. (yes, I'm a nerd)

Originally Posted by odisn
an...that Sontaran cover is just uglier than normal.

could they have found a worse-looking Tom Baker shot or what?
I know that pic of Tom is horrible. Do they really need a big picture of the Doctors face on every DVD cover? I'd rather see a close up picture of the sontarans helmet or something.
Old 11-10-06, 08:21 PM
Cool New Member

OK This is sort of Doctor Who related. Has anyone had a chance to check out the R2 interactive DVD Tom Baker's Ultimate Sci-Fi Quiz? If so, is there much Doctor Who content on it?
Old 11-12-06, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got my copy of Hand at BB last night as well. I hope $22 is the new price point. I'll finally be able to afford to add more Who to my collection.

Curious though, did anyone else have problems with disk skipping toward the end of episode 3?
Old 11-13-06, 06:54 PM

Just got an e-mail notification from DeepDiscountDVD that Hand and Mark have both been shipped - I got 'em for $14 and change each with the sale coupon - shipped!
Old 11-14-06, 03:53 PM

^same here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.