Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
R2 News: Torchwood Series 1, Part 1 DVD Update

Title: Torchwood: Series One Part One
Starring: John Barrowman
Released: 26th December 2006
SRP: £24.99

Further Details:
BBC DVD/2Entertain has announced the release of Torchwood: Series One Part One for the 26th of December, priced at around £24.99. The set will include the first five episodes from the series, along with deleted scenes, out-takes and a short making of featurette for each episode. Here's the artwork.
Old 11-17-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Updated IV. MISC. DOCTOR WHO RELEASES (Multi Region) by including a new grid called Doctor Who-Related DVDs. It's mainly for Interview-style DVD releases from various companies (Big Finish, 10th Planet, etc).
Old 11-18-06, 01:23 PM
Dai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick question, now that OG has stopped posting DW news, where does everyone go to get their fix??
Old 11-18-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm trolling the Forums for newer news. Also the Restoration Forum keeps up-to-date with major Who happenings. For DVD news, I stick with OG Forum, TVShowsonDVD.com & Steve Manfred's site.
Old 11-20-06, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dai
Just a quick question, now that OG has stopped posting DW news, where does everyone go to get their fix??
From no less an authority than Outpost Gallifrey:

Site Returns Early December
As posted on our main website, the Outpost Gallifrey site will return to full-time operation the weekend of December 2-3, 2006, with some changes and updates to the entire site in store (including the Forums!)

Meanwhile, if you would like to join us as a contributing news editor, please email us... our news editor team will be joining together to keep the news pages completely up to date with all the latest information from the Doctor Who world.
Old 11-20-06, 03:38 PM
Dai

LOL

Well, since they announced they weren't doing news anymore, I just bookmarked the forums instead and go directly there!!

Thanks!
Old 11-20-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That'll make things a lot easier now.
Old 11-25-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Amazon UK Cyber Head exclusive:

Old 11-26-06, 01:29 AM

Amazon is claiming the RRP for The Sontaran Experiment is $14.98, with a pre-order price of $10.49 (IIRC). Nice! Hope all the "vanilla" titles are this cheap. R2 is supposed to get a 6-part "vanilla" next year, too. About time the prices went down, if only for certain titles...
Old 11-27-06, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
looks nice. hopefully we will get it over here in R1 by mid-year.

Epic new DVD set announced for January 2007.

2Entertain have released the cover art for their New Beginnings three-disc DVD boxset. Follow the link below to see pictures of the individual disc covers.

As previously announced, the set, comprise The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva - adventures that saw both the return of the Doctor's arch-enemy Master, plus the transition from Tom Baker's Doctor to Peter Davison's.

Prepare for not one but two new companions, killer statues, the slow destruction of the Universe, cunning disguises, big beards, recursive occlusion and stick-on celery. What a combination!

Not surprisingly, the set is packed with more extras than you can shake a Tissue Compression Eliminator at. Here's the full list:

The Keeper of Traken

* Commentary from actors Anthony Ainley, Matthew Waterhouse and Sarah Sutton, plus writer Johnny Byrne.

* Being Nice to Each Other (dur. 30' 04") - a new documentary looking at the making of this story through the eyes of the cast and crew. Featuring actors Sarah Sutton, Sheila Ruskin, Geoffrey Beevers, director John Black, writer Johnny Byrne and script editor Christopher H. Bidmead. Narrated by George Williams.

* The Return of the Master (dur. 08' 40") - Geoffrey Beevers, Christopher H. Bidmead and John Black talk about how they realised the return of the Doctor's arch-adversary.

* Sarah Sutton on Swap Shop (dur. 11' 14") - Noel Edmonds interviews Sarah Sutton, with questions phoned in from young viewers.

Logopolis

* Commentary from actors Tom Baker and Janet Fielding, plus writer Christopher H. Bidmead.

* A New Body at Last (dur. 50' 20") - a new documentary covering the transition from Tom Baker to Peter Davison. Featuring actors Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Matthew Waterhouse, Sarah Sutton and Adrian Gibbs, script editor Christopher H. Bidmead, directors Peter Moffatt and John Black. Narrated by Denis Lawson.

* Nationwide - Tom Baker (dur. 4' 30") - an interview with Tom Baker from the BBC news magazine show.

* Nationwide - Peter Davison (dur. 3' 40") - an interview with Peter Davison on his forthcoming role as the Doctor.

* Pebble Mill at One - Peter Davison (dur. 12' 00") - Peter Davison interviewed on the long-running BBC lunchtime show.

* News Items (dur. 1' 55") - a selection of BBC News items, including reports on Tom Baker and Lalla Ward's wedding, the announcement of Tom Baker's departure and Peter Davison's arrival.

Castrovalva

* Commentary from actors Peter Davison and Janet Fielding, plus director Fiona Cumming and writer Christopher H. Bidmead.

* Being Doctor Who (dur. 13' 29") - Peter Davison discusses his casting and time as the Fifth Doctor.

* Directing Castrovalva (dur. 11' 19") - Fiona Cumming talks about directing Peter Davison's debut story.

* The Crowded TARDIS (dur. 11' 25") - by the end of Tom Baker's tenure, the TARDIS crew had grown from the usual one companion to three. This featurette examines the reasons behind this change of direction. Featuring actors Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton, director John Black and script editor Christopher H. Bidmead. Narrated by George Williams.

* Blue Peter - Peter Davison (dur. 9' 15") - Peter Davison interviewed on the popular children's magazine show.

* Swap Shop - Peter Davison (dur. 20' 40" ) - Noel Edmonds interviews Peter Davison, with questions phoned in from young viewers.

* Deleted Scenes (dur. 1' 34") - two deleted scenes from the story.

* Theme Music Video (dur. 3' 34") - a brand new remix of Peter Howell's version of the theme music for the series, exclusively remixed from the original multitrack master. Option to listen to the music in either stereo (default) or Dolby Digital 5.1 surround versions.

Each story will also feature Programme Subtitles, Subtitle Production Notes, TV trails and continuity announcements, Photo Galleries, isolated synchronous music, PDF Material - the 1982 Doctor Who Annual, Radio Times listings and the BBC Enterprises Season 18/19 sales literature as Adobe pdf files for viewing on PC or Mac.

More details of the release can be found at the Restoration Team website.

Old 11-27-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice looking set. Not too sure about the "New Beginnings" title but marketing-wise, I guess it makes sense.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-27-06, 07:47 PM
Dai

I still like the 'Return of the Master' title...

Oh well...so, this will probably be the R1 June release?? or when?
Old 11-27-06, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More than likely, this'll fill the June release slot.
Old 11-28-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Improving The R1 Covers

From a post on the Outpost Gallifrey Forum:

Originally Posted by Steve Manfred
It's been said many times that the cover art on the classic series R1 DVDs is not as good as it could be. I have discussed the situation with BBC Worldwide Americas, and they would like me to ask if anyone out there has any ideas as to how to make them better. Anyone with a suggestion should email me at [email protected] and then anything I think is practical will get forwarded along, and if they agree, you might hear from them yourself.

There are limitations they must work under. Their cover art budget is next to nothing, and so they cannot pay for any original artwork. Even if they could, they would have to clear any such artwork with the actors who appear in it, and I don't think they could afford that process either. This is why they use photographs from the productions on the covers. They come from the BBC Ardhive, and were cleared at the time of the show's production, you see. Certain stories have a small number of photos available, which limits their options further. (An example: the pictures on the back of "Inferno" are all in black and white even though it's a color show... this is because the only color photos that exist were taken during rehearsal and the cast were not in full costume, so they were stuck using the black and white ones.)

So, if you've got an idea of how to better work under these limitations, pass them along to me at [email protected]

Interesting discussion going on in that thread.
Old 11-28-06, 08:25 PM

Wow, I've been hoping for that series of stories (Traken-->Logopolis) to be released. I kind of wish Baker & Davison had done a commentary together for the last episode of "Logopolis", though Davison is only in it for a few seconds. I just think it would be cool to have those two Doctors do commentary together.
Old 11-29-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
From a post on the Outpost Gallifrey Forum:

Interesting discussion going on in that thread.

I wouldn't know. I don't care to blindly sign up for a forum I have no idea how it's run. What's the point of that anyways?
Old 11-29-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I wouldn't know. I don't care to blindly sign up for a forum I have no idea how it's run. What's the point of that anyways?

Wow. I didn't realize the Outpost Gallifrey boards were protected from lookie-loos these days. Sorry about that.

The Outpost board is a good forum filled with good (and VERY DEVOTED) Doctor Who fans. Most Who info filters out from there first.

So if you really really really really really really like Doctor Who, that's the place to go.
Old 11-29-06, 06:05 PM

Yeah, OG is a great board--it's pretty much the main Doctor Who forum on the 'net.
Old 11-30-06, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ & ^
I totally agree.
Old 11-30-06, 09:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I do think OG has way too many hoops to try and join up, but if you stick with it it's a very good forum.

While all the restrictions do keep out spammers, here at DVDTalk membership is more open and we have very little problems due to quick-acting moderators.
Old 12-01-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been on OG forum for over 6 years now and it's great. It's the only other forum on the web thats as friendly and fun as DVD Talk.

oh and March is way way too long to wait to see the Invasion DVD
Old 12-01-06, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've wanted to join in on the OG forums for ages. But since I'm one of those evil bastards who uses a free e-mail service, I'm SOL.

The New Beginnings box looks great! I'm just worried that the R1 version will cost a fortune.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 12-01-06 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-01-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
I've wanted to join in on the OG forums for ages. But since I'm one of those evil bastards who uses a free e-mail service, I'm SOL.

The New Beginnings box looks great! I'm just worried that the R1 version will cost a fortune.

It's only three discs so it'll probably run about 40 to 50 bucks. Like The Beginning box set.
Old 12-01-06, 12:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Love the coverart for the New Beginnings set. It's a big improvement over past titles.

Is Logopolis Tom Baker's first commentary?
Old 12-01-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Love the coverart for the New Beginnings set. It's a big improvement over past titles.

Is Logopolis Tom Baker's first commentary?
Nope. He did one on the recently released Hand of Fear disk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.