Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 09-03-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
4) Was reading up on the 8th/The Movie (which I did see, but that was 10 years ago and I don't remember much since Doctor Who didn't interest me) - I must say it looks really good from a mythology standpoint (old villan ? and seeing a regernation). BTW, is tha the first regeneration that was seen with both actors in place?

No. For the most part, every regeneration had both actors involved. The only occasions thus far have been the 2nd to the 3rd (at the end of Troughton's era...Doctor Who's future was in question. Almost at the last minute, they decided to go forth with a new season - in color and with Jon Pertwee). Next up was from the 6th to the 7th (Colin Baker was fired and wouldn't contribute to the crossover). Then from the 8th to the 9th (9 years between stories.)

The only regeneration story on DVD is The Caves of Androzani (5th to the 6th). That changes next year with the release of the Master box set that will contain Logopolis (4th to the 5th) along with Castrovalva which is Davison's first story.

First stories for a Doctor on DVD are: An Unearthly Child (Hartnell - 1st), Lost in Time (which whatever remains of Troughton's first story - Power of the Daleks), Spearhead From Space (Pertwee - 3rd), The Movie (McGann - 8th - Only available in Region 2), Rose (Eccelston - 9th). Castrovalva comes out in the aforementioned Master Box Set next year.

Off the top of my head, I think that's all of them. Rushing out the door, will try to answer your other questions later.
Old 09-03-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Okay, I have watched the following:

Series 1 (2005)
Children in Need Special
Christmas Invasion

I'd like to start watching more Who, but there are a few things I'm unclear on:

1) There is so much out there, I'd like to concentrate more on "mythology" than all of the individual stories. I have a feeling this may not be as simple as it sounds though (ala Smallville), since there seems to have been a lot of implied backstory that occurred between the 8th and 9th Doctors.

2) I did some cross referencing, but it appears that "The Beginning" boxed set (R1) has the 90% of what is available on video for William Hartnell. Am I missing something by holding off? It appears that 3 and a bit of a 4th are missing (story arcs)? Not sure if these ever made it to dvd though.

3) Reference number 2 in relation to 1. It does appear "The Daleks" is critical.

4) Was reading up on the 8th/The Movie (which I did see, but that was 10 years ago and I don't remember much since Doctor Who didn't interest me) - I must say it looks really good from a mythology standpoint (old villan ? and seeing a regernation). BTW, is tha the first regeneration that was seen with both actors in place?

Hey! Long time Doctor Who fan here, I'll try to answer some of your questions. By the way, I think it's awesome new people are getting into Doctor Who with the new series after being a fan for nearly 20 years and everyone asking me "What's Doctor Who?"

1 - wow, that's hard. All the "Time War" stuff and the Doctor's home planet getting destroyed took place off TV between Doctors 8 and 9. The Mythology of Who is really spread out over the 26 year run of the original series, it took 6 years before they used the term Time Lord and nearly 10 years before we got to see his home planet Gallifrey.

Most Doctor Who stories are pretty much stand alone (the Doctor lands on a planet or time, they have an adventure, save the day and leave) there were very little "story arcs" in the original series... except for the first few years of the 3rd Doctors era where he was stranded on Earth and things like companions leaving or joining and regeneration from one Doctor to the next.

The Beginning DVD set is a good start, the first episode is a must see. and the first Dalek story is of course important. by the way, I don't know if you know, but classic Doctor Who was shown in stories made up of various number of 25 minute episodes. The Beginning DVD set has the first 3 stories - Story 1 "An Unearthly Child" has 4 episodes, Story 2 "The Daleks" has 7 episodes and story 3 "Edge of Destruction" has 2 episodes.

2 - I'm not sure what you are saying or asking in Question 2. The Beginning set has only the first 3 William Hartnell (1st Doctor) stories and a short reconstruction of the lost 4th story "Marco Polo", but there are about 17 other Hartnell stories on video or DVD. A lot of the 1960's stories with the first two Doctors are lost forever. Sadly they just never kept the films, noone at the time saw VHS and DVD coming. Most of the missing material comes from the 1st Doctors final season and the first two Seasons of the 2nd Doctor, but the first two seasons of the 1st Doctor still exists, with the exception of a few episodes here and there. (got that? lol)

3 - I think I answered that above. If you want to stick to the stories that is important to the history of Who, I would get The Beginning set and story number 10 "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" (6 episodes) which is on DVD as well. You might also want to check out story 17 "The Time Meddler" (only on VHS) as it's the first time they show someone else from the Doctors home planet. Moving on the the 2nd Doctor I would suggest "Tomb of the Cybermen" (The Cybermen are the second most popular alien behind the Daleks and return in the 2006 series 2) Tomb is the 3rd Cyberman story, but the only one from the 60's that still exists in full and tells the backstory of the Cybermen. "Seeds of Death" (Story 48) is a fun story worth picking up, it's not THAT important to the history of Who, but has a popular returning monster, The Ice Warriors, and it's fun b-movie sci fi with rockets to the moon, alien seed pods and fun stuff like that. also "War Games" (story 50) is a long drawn out 10 episode story, but is the first story were we find out the Doctor is a time lord. The Time Lords catch him and put him on trial. War Games is only on VHS however. the first 3rd Doctor (and the first Who story in color) story "Spearhead from Space" (Story 51) is on DVD and is a must see, the Doctor is stranded on earth and joins UNIT the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce which looks into alien invasion and strange happenings. it also has the Autons, the plastic aliens from the first episode of the new 2005 series. other 3rd Doctor stories worth getting are "Inferno" (story 54) a fan classic rated one of the best. "Terror of the Autons" (Story 55) first Master story, first story with Jo Grant a popular companion and a sequel to Spearhead From Space. "Day of the Daleks" (Story 60) first color Dalek story. "The Three Doctors" (Story 65) a crap story, but important to the history of the show, first time the Doctor meets his older self and lots of Time Lord back history. The DVD is loaded with cool extras too. moving on to the 4th Doctor "Genesis of the Daleks" (Story 78) is a must, many fans say it's the best story ever, it tells the history of how the Daleks were created. Anything from the first 3 seasons of the 4th Doctor, you can't lose.... agh, I could go on and on into the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Doctors "Terror of the Zygons", "Invasion of Time", "Logopolis", "Earthshock", "The Five Doctors", "The Two Doctors", "Rememberance of the Daleks" and so many more... but I'll stop there. sorry I went on way too long, but there are so much classic series Doctor Who, 26 Seasons, 170 stories, over 700 episodes...

You also might want to check out the "Lost in Time" DVD set which has a collection of 18 surviving single episodes from otherwise lost missing stories of the first 2 Doctors. It's a nice "Best of" overview of the entire 1960's Doctor Who era... with episodes from some very important classic stories including ones with Daleks, The Yeti and Cybermen. but at the same time it's depressing seeing Episode 2 of "Evil of the Daleks" knowing the other six episodes are forever lost.

I will also warn you that old Doctor Who is very low budget, very british and very slow. If you are used to the new series and modern sci fi TV in general, you might find them hard to watch. I don't, I love the slower pased story telling of old TV, but I can see how some might find old Doctor Who, well... boring.

4 - there were several regenerations with both actors in place... 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th, 5th to 6th. However all those had the regeneration take place at the very end or beginning of the story, like the final episode of the new series with the 9th Doctor going into the 10th. The 8th Doctor TV Movie was the first where the regeneration took place several minutes into the story.

again, sorry for being so long winded, but there is so much Doctor Who to cover, I hoped I helped. (I'm such a nerd, have I even kissed a girl? lol )
Old 09-03-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I didn't have to come back to answer any questions. turborobb seems to have covered everything.

Full marks!
Old 09-04-06, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts
Haha. Well I appreciate both of your responses! Thank you much.

What I was really trying to get at with my second question was:
a) I know "The Beginning" covers the first 3 stories (btw, thanks for clearing that up. Read that once on an FAQ but it didn't sink in)
b) I know there are other Hartnell dvds out there
c) I do NOT know what are the missing episodes vs what is avaiable but not on dvd

What I would like to avoid, if I chose to buy some of this, is buying something that is partial and then a dvd comes out in a year or so forcing a SET double dip. Make sense?

I really appreciate the comment about slow/old/budget vs shows today. I honestly think that may be one thing that always kept me away. I'd watch a bit here and there back in my teens when it was on PBS around 2 am, but it never really caught my attention past 15-20 minutes. I really did like the new series, and I'm willing to spend the money on "The Beginning" (damn Netflix doens't have it!!), but I may quickly find my patience growing thin.
Old 09-04-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Followup to what I was getting at with question 2.

For example take "The Key to Time" boxed set. This seems exactly what I'd prefer to buy - "season" sets with the exception of what is truely "missing".

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Tim...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

However, the hardest part is seeing something on Amazon (or somewhere else) and then having to go back and crossreference to see if there are any stories available but that take place between what is on the discs (on seperate dvds) or are just plain lost.

Then of course you have this upcoming release with animation to fill the gap of missing segments (which sounds revolutionary!), but just makes determining what's what all that more complicated. =/
Old 09-04-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you are asking - What if I buy Spearhead From Space and then a year later a full Season 7 box sets comes out with Spearhead From Space in it.... I really don't see that happening anytime soon. Maybe 7 or so years down the line, but not anytime soon. The BBC wants to release each story on it's own, the "Key To Time" set (Season 16, by the way) was a special USA only release.

Basicly, every existing Doctor Who story is on VHS Video. They have been releasing the DVD's at a rather slow rate of 2 stories every 2 or 3 months. Hartnells material on DVD is The Beginning Set, The Aztecs (Story 6), Dalek Invasion of Earth (Story 10) and The Web Planet (Story 13) Hopefully with the new series making the show popular again, they will release more faster.

One good thing I really like about them releasing individual stories over box sets is most of the Doctor Who DVDs are slammed packed full of extras... old vintage footage and interviews, stuff from the cutting room floor, Doctor Who material from other BBC shows, old trailers, commentary, newly made features and documentaries about the show, some have an option to watch them with new CGI effects. and they have been restored frame by frame and look beautiful, like it was filmed yesterday. Old fans will remember watching the 60's and early 70's stuff on TV and the early VHS videos, the quality of some of the prints were so poor it was like watching it in a fog. I've bought stories I didn't even like because of the extra material... something I have never done for any other show or movie. That's the bad thing about the "Key to Time" Season set, other than commentary is has no extras at all. Which is sad, because I have bloopers and trailers from some of those episodes on my computer. Still, it's worth picking up down the line, the Key to Time Season was one of the few times classic Doctor Who had some type of a Season long "Story Arc"... but I would check out other (better) Who stories first, the Key To Time is average, but not exactly Classic Who.

I really appreciate the comment about slow/old/budget vs shows today. I honestly think that may be one thing that always kept me away. I'd watch a bit here and there back in my teens when it was on PBS around 2 am, but it never really caught my attention past 15-20 minutes. I really did like the new series, and I'm willing to spend the money on "The Beginning" (damn Netflix doens't have it!!), but I may quickly find my patience growing thin.
no problem. I think it's a fair warning. I got into Doctor Who around 12yo and watched it on and off through my teens and forgot all about it during the 90's in college and 5 years or so ago really got back into it after I saw a Doctor Who mesuem when visiting England, and then I started collecting all the old videos and now DVDs. I find that a lot of Doctor Who stories I found really dull and boring as a kid I really like and enjoy now as an adult. Doctor Who, for the most part, is such well written sci fi I can now look past the low budget and the "cheesy-ness" and enjoy the stories.

enjoy

Last edited by turborobb; 09-04-06 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to Best Buy yesterday and they had about 8 copies of the Inferno DVD... but no Web Planet DVD.

same thing happened last time when they had Genesis in the store but didn't carry Revelation.

come on Best Buy! Get with it! I've been very loyal to Best Buy because they have always carried Doctor Who DVDs when the other stores didn't. But now I'm forced to go elsewhere, I hate when you ask for something at the store and they tell you they don't have it, but you can get it on the Best Buy website... if I wanted to order it online, I wouldn't be in the store in the first place!
Old 09-07-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they're planning on carrying the most expensive Who DVDs now - the 2 Discers.

Bastages!
Old 09-08-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not really trying to plug Amazon, but you can actually download Dr. Who eps at their new video service.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...064704-2899825

No Series 1 or 2 though... =/
Old 09-10-06, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got Web Planet at Borders today. It wasn't on the shelf with the other Who DVDs and after asking around I discovered it was on display with Inferno right up front at the check out desk! and it was on sale! $19.99 for Web Planet at Borders (a store which it usually overpriced!) and Inferno was $24.99, two dollars cheaper than what I got it for at Best Buy!

I'll be loyal and give Best Buy one more chance next time, but I might find myself switching over to Borders for my Doctor Who DVDs.

I also picked up a Doctor Who book while I was there!
Old 09-10-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just FYI, DeepDiscountDVD has 11 Who titles at 56% off (11.05 each).

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/studi...ainStudioid=64
Old 09-11-06, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the link, Val! As I have all the old stories on VHS, I've been pretty selective about what I rebuy on DVD (pick up a few here and there), but with these savings, many of them are too tempting to pass by! You can't even do that well on them in the annual 20% sales.
Old 09-11-06, 12:24 PM

For those seeking cheap Dr Who on DVD, the Columbia House option is a good one. They have about 25-30 titles, and if you follow the very detailed instructions in the Clubs forum here, you can get finish a membership for about $6 or so per disc. Obviously, if you've been collecting them all along, this won't help much, but for those seeking to get a bunch of shows in a hurry, this is a good way to do so.
Old 09-11-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally bought my first classic Doctor Who on DVD a week ago. Yep, I got them via Columbia House. That's the cheapest way to do it. I almost simply ordered 7 for enrollments, but ended up getting only two. I can always join again.

I saw the DDD sale, and passed on it.
Old 09-14-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R2 News: Series Two Boxed Set

From Outpost Gallifrey:

The official Doctor Who website and 2Entertain have released details about the forthcoming UK DVD release of The Complete Series Two Box Set on 20 November. The release will include all 14 episodes (the thirteen from series two plus "The Christmas Invasion") and four hours of extras, including outtakes, deleted scenes, audio commentary on nine episodes, In Vision commentary on five episodes with cast and crew including Billie Piper and David Tennant, the 'cut down' versions of Doctor Who Confidential, video diaries from the two stars, and audio descriptions, subtitles and 5.1 sound. The information also confirms that the 2005 Children in Need Doctor Who special will also be included, but there is no word on any inclusion of the "Tardisodes" mini episodes that accompanied each broadcast. The set comes in lenticular packaging that features a special moving image on both front and back.
Old 09-21-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Outpost Gallifrey:

Return of the Master Set

Full details have now been confirmed for January 2007's box set release from BBC DVD/2|Entertain. The Return of the Master will, as previously reported, comprise the 1980s 'trilogy' of The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva, which saw Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor bow out in favour of Peter Davison. The Doctor Who Restoration Team and the official BBC Doctor Who site have revealed the set's special features, while the Restoration Team have, as always, posted an article describing the work done to produce the set. The extras include the following:

The Keeper of Traken
* Commentary from actors Anthony Ainley, Matthew Waterhouse and Sarah Sutton, plus writer Johnny Byrne.
* Being Nice to Each Other (dur. 30' 04") - a new documentary looking at the making of this story through the eyes of the cast and crew. Featuring actors Sarah Sutton, Sheila Ruskin, Geoffrey Beevers, director John Black, writer Johnny Byrne and script editor Christopher H. Bidmead. Narrated by George Williams.
* The Return of the Master (dur. 08' 40") - Geoffrey Beevers, Christopher H. Bidmead and John Black talk about how they realised the return of the Doctor's arch-adversary.
* Sarah Sutton on Swap Shop (dur. 11' 14") - Noel Edmonds interviews Sarah Sutton, with questions phoned in from young viewers.

Logopolis
* Commentary from actors Tom Baker and Janet Fielding, plus writer Christopher H. Bidmead.
* A New Body at Last (dur. 50' 20") - a new documentary covering the transition from Tom Baker to Peter Davison. Featuring actors Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Matthew Waterhouse, Sarah Sutton and Adrian Gibbs, script editor Christopher H. Bidmead, directors Peter Moffatt and John Black. Narrated by Denis Lawson.
* Nationwide - Tom Baker (dur. 4' 30") - an interview with Tom Baker from the BBC news magazine show.
* Nationwide - Peter Davison (dur. 3' 40") - an interview with Peter Davison on his forthcoming role as the Doctor.
* Pebble Mill at One - Peter Davison (dur. 12' 00") - Peter Davison interviewed on the long-running BBC lunchtime show.
* News Items (dur. 1' 55") - a selection of BBC News items, including reports on Tom Baker and Lalla Ward's wedding, the announcement of Tom Baker's departure and Peter Davison's arrival.

Castrovalva
* Commentary from actors Peter Davison and Janet Fielding, plus director Fiona Cumming and writer Christopher H. Bidmead.
* Being Doctor Who (dur. 13' 29") - Peter Davison discusses his casting and time as the Fifth Doctor.
* Directing Castrovalva (dur. 11' 19") - Fiona Cumming talks about directing Peter Davison's debut story.
* The Crowded TARDIS (dur. 11' 25") - by the end of Tom Baker's tenure, the TARDIS crew had grown from the usual one companion to three. This featurette examines the reasons behind this change of direction. Featuring actors Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton, director John Black and script editor Christopher H. Bidmead. Narrated by George Williams.
* Blue Peter - Peter Davison (dur. 9' 15") - Peter Davison interviewed on the popular children's magazine show.
* Swap Shop - Peter Davison (dur. 20' 40" ) - Noel Edmonds interviews Peter Davison, with questions phoned in from young viewers.
* Deleted Scenes (dur. 1' 34") - two deleted scenes from the story.
* Theme Music Video (dur. 3' 34") - a brand new remix of Peter Howell's version of the theme music for the series, exclusively remixed from the original multitrack master. Option to listen to the music in either stereo (default) or Dolby Digital 5.1 surround versions.

Each story will also feature Programme Subtitles, Subtitle Production Notes, TV trails and continuity announcements, Photo Galleries, isolated synchronous music, PDF Material - the 1980 Doctor Who Annual, Radio Times listings and the BBC Enterprises Season 18/19 sales literature as Adobe pdf files for viewing on PC or Mac.

Link to The Return of the Master on the Restoration Page.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 09-21-06 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn! Must've just missed the DDD sale.

Good news about the new set. A real pleasure to see the show 'Re-Mastered'.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 09-22-06 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-22-06, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,870 Posts
I have so far held off on getting the Doctor Who releases ... dear God, at the rate the show trickle out it'll be decades before the whole thing is completed... but the "Return of the Master" set is really tempting as I have fond memories of those episodes.

"Logopolis" was really dark and bizarre, and some aspects of it such as the Universe being held together by a planet of people who lived and breathed math, blew my nine pre-adolescent mind. And then when it ended, I almost exploded. I had no idea that that was how it was going to end... this being before the internet and spoilers... I thought it was just going to be another episode despite the brooding, fatalistic nature of it.
Old 09-22-06, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Series 2 boxset coming to R1 on January 16th!

I'll defer to The Valeyard to let him post the details when he gets here.
Old 09-22-06, 10:34 AM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I have so far held off on getting the Doctor Who releases ... dear God, at the rate the show trickle out it'll be decades before the whole thing is completed...
Well, in the show's defense it did take decades to create them all.
Old 09-22-06, 10:35 AM
Defunct Account

Wow! A Tom Baker commentary on Logopolis! This is the first one he's done, isn't it???
Old 09-22-06, 11:20 AM

Tom has done several commentaries already; he's sure to be in fine form for his final story. More interesting is the pairing with Janet Fielding, as they reportedly didn't get along during the filming. Tom's commentary with Mary Tamm on The Ribos Operation is classic, if only for Tom openly gushing about hot he thought she was (and rightly so, I might add).
Old 09-22-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Good news about the new set. A real pleasure to see the show 'Re-Mastered'.

Old 09-22-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by odisn
Series 2 boxset coming to R1 on January 16th!

I'll defer to The Valeyard to let him post the details when he gets here.

Awww, always feel free to post info I haven't discovered yet. Keeps a healthy community. Thanks tho.

The Info:

North America Series Two DVD Release

Sci Fi Wire, the news service of the US Sci Fi Channel, has announced the North American release of the second series on DVD on 16 January 2007, according to BBC Worldwide Americas. "We're over the moon with Doctor Who," said Megan Branigan, vice president of BBC video marketing, in an interview with Sci-Fi Wire. "We're really pleased with the results this year. We're very excited to continue the momentum with [season] two as we did with [season] one." The DVD release will be exactly the same as the UK version, including video diaries, the cut-down versions of Doctor Who Confidential, and the lenticular box cover. The second series of Doctor Who starring David Tennant will begin airing one week from today, Friday 29 September on Sci Fi in the US, and on 9 October in Canada on CBC; the release states that the DVD set will be released on the Tuesday after the series finale in the US, meaning that the season will finish later than was originally expected and will likely skip several weekends late in 2006.
Old 09-29-06, 03:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From dvdactive.com:

Title: Doctor Who (IMDb)
Starring: David Tennant
Released: 16th January 2007
SRP: $99.98 & $179.98

Further Details:
Warner Home Video and BBC Home Video have announced the release of Doctor Who: The Complete Second Series, which will be available to own on the 16th of January at a retail price of right around $99.98. The six-disc set will contain all thirteen episodes of the series along with the holiday special 'The Christmas Invasion', which introduced the series' new Doctor, David Tennant. Details are early, but the extras will be identical to the UK release and include video diaries from Tennant and Billie Piper, episodes of the behind-the-scenes series Doctor Who Confidential, and commentaries while the packaging itself will feature a lenticular design. The set will also be available bundled with the first series at a retail price of $179.98. We'll keep an eye out for any changes or additions, but for now we've attached the artwork for the set below.
cover art here:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/doctor-who8.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.