Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 03-10-14, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Looks like "An Adventure In Time And Space" is getting a Blu-Ray release after all:

Doctor Who: An Adventure in Space and Time Blu-ray

BBC Home Entertainment has announced the 3-disc Blu-ray release of Doctor Who: An Adventure in Space and Time. Writer Mark Gatiss and director Terry McDonough's 2013 BBC docudrama stars David Bradley as William Hartnell, the actor who portrayed the First Doctor, along with Jessica Raine, Jamie Glover, Sacha Dhawan, Lesley Manville, Jemma Powell, Reece Shearsmith, Mark Eden and Brian Cox. The television film arrives on Blu-ray on May 27th.

Synopsis: Travel back in time to witness the dramatic birth of Doctor Who. Actor William Hartnell (David Bradley, Walder Frey in Game of Thrones, Filch from the Harry Potter films) felt trapped by a succession of tough-guy roles. Wannabe producer Verity Lambert (Jessica Raine, Call the Midwife) was frustrated by the TV industry's glass ceiling. Both of them were to find unlikely hope and unexpected challenges in the form of a Saturday afternoon drama, time travel and monsters. Allied with a brilliant creative team, they went on to introduce the world to the longest running science fiction series ever, currently in its 50th year and counting.

The 3-disc Blu-ray release of Doctor Who: An Adventure in Space and Time includes:

Disc 1: An Adventure in Space and Time Blu-ray

Feature film presented in 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround
The Making of An Adventure in Space and Time
William Hartnell : The Original
Regeneration: Doctors 1, 2 and 3, Re-cast
Reconstruction: Four Sequences
Farewell: David Bradley
Christmas Greeting: David Bradley
Titles Sequence
Deleted Scene: Delia Derbyshire

Disc 2: An Unearthly Child Bonus DVD

An Unearthly Child (1963): The first Doctor Who serial:
Episode 1.1: An Unearthly Child
Episode 1.2: The Cave of Skulls
Episode 1.3: The Forest of Fear
Episode 1.4: The Firemaker
Original Pilot of An Unearthly Child: Shot a month earlier and shelved due to a variety of technical issues, the original pilot episode is also included alongside the four broadcast episodes

Disc 3: An Adventure in Space and Time DVD

Blu-Ray.com
Old 03-11-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another gimmick to make us spend more! I guess some people don't own Unearthly Child so maybe they'll be happy with this 3 disc thingy. But my opinion is those that will buy AAISAT are already big fans of DW and most likely own the Beginning box set.
I think personally I'll stick to the single DVD release. It's not something I'll rewatch a dozen times and need HD quality for it.
Old 03-11-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's also a growing rumor of a 50th Anniversary set in the UK that will (supposedly) include this, Day & Time of the Doctor as well as other 50th Anniversary specials. So far, the only proof of that has been some extras passing the BBC's certification for inclusion on a home video format.

I haven't picked up Time of the Doctor because of this rumor. Waffling about An Adventure in Time and Space now.
Old 03-12-14, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
I think personally I'll stick to the single DVD release. It's not something I'll rewatch a dozen times and need HD quality for it.
Has a single-disc DVD been confirmed for Region 1, though? The only thing I saw mentioned in the news release was the combo pack.

Several UK fans are seriously contemplating importing this, as the cost of the combo pack is about the same as what the BBC would be charging for a stand-alone blu-ray in the UK.
Old 03-12-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It's one thing to maximize your profits off an IP, but they're really starting to take advantage of the DVD buying Who fandom. Instead of re-releasing the same thing over and over, why not put some of the OOP titles back in production so the Wargames isn't going for $80.

And they could have made a nice one-shot boxset of Day of the Doctor, Time of the Doctor and Adventure in... and be done with it.
Old 03-12-14, 05:35 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Has a single-disc DVD been confirmed for Region 1, though? The only thing I saw mentioned in the news release was the combo pack.
There was a single-disc DVD release December 10 in Canada that was exclusive to Best Buy and Future Shop. The Enemy of the World was also released that way.
Old 03-13-14, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by jisham
There was a single-disc DVD release December 10 in Canada that was exclusive to Best Buy and Future Shop.
That doesn't necessarily mean a "wide" (or U.S.) single-disc release of An Adventure will necessarily follow, however. You'd think it'd be mentioned in that press release if there were going to be one.
Old 03-13-14, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It's one thing to maximize your profits off an IP, but they're really starting to take advantage of the DVD buying Who fandom. Instead of re-releasing the same thing over and over, why not put some of the OOP titles back in production so the Wargames isn't going for $80.

Maybe U.S. fans need to email the US office of the BBC (here) and tell them about the inflated prices of OOP discs on the second-hand market. It might convince them to put them back into print Stateside. It's probably just a perception that there isn't enough of a fan-base in the U.S. to keep them in-print (none of the stories, except possibly The Two Doctors is OOP in the UK, and I think that one is available once again anyway). If enough people make their voices heard (and make mention of the inflated values on the second-hand market) might convince them there's some economic value in doing another run of these.

I certainly feel the fact that my (and other fans') taking the trouble to email them to ask for a Blu-ray of An Adventure.. got results. I know I got a personal reply within a couple hours to tell me they'd at least consider the blu-ray (this was back in November).
Old 03-13-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

They might actually sell more classic Doctor Who if they didn't release the stories individually and charge and arm and a leg for them.
Old 03-13-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They might actually sell more classic Doctor Who if they didn't release the stories individually and charge and arm and a leg for them.
That too. I plan to own every available story on DVD someday, but I'm having to wait for things like the Barnes & Noble sale or finding them used to pick them up. I also have them all in my Amazon wishlist, and will pick off stories here and there when the price gets dropped.

EDIT: And I just emailed the BBC with a listing of the titles I see on Amazon going for crazy prices.

Last edited by milo bloom; 03-13-14 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-13-14, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I suspect by the end of the year (or early next) they might start packaging together the existing discs (NO new extras, just the discs "as they are") into season sets. Or, the existing discs of the episodes only (i.e. none of the "bonus features" discs) and release season sets of "just the shows", sort of like how they had extras-laden and bare-bones options for Red Dwarf in the UK.

Seasons 7-26 they could do as season sets, no problem. For the black-and-white years, I'd suggest they title them "The Early Years, volume 1", etc. to account for the fact that there are still significant gaps in the B/W seasons.

Unless, of course, they decide that iTunes is the way forward and abandon physical media for anything except "new" releases (revisits or anything that might get discovered/returned in the future).

Even if moving to season sets is in their plans, it couldn't hurt to do a small run on the OOP titles, given their extortionate prices on the collector's market (I wish I had a few OOP US discs to sell).
Old 03-13-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe U.S. fans need to email the US office of the BBC (here) and tell them about the inflated prices of OOP discs on the second-hand market
I just did. Thanks for the link. I had written them previously about wrongly labelled disks in the new Beginning box sets and finally got my corrected one today after more than a year (and three bad sets). So they do listen to their customers up to a point.

I wish I had a few OOP US discs to sell
I did have them all and have started selling them on Amazon.CA
I put them up around 125$ each and I was surprised that people would buy them for that much money (the next copies were around 175-180 though). I was split between keeping them, being a big DW fan, but not being the 'collector' type I don't mind waiting for rereleases or maybe seasons box sets as someone mentioned (although I doubt they would do that).
Or worst comes to worst I'll buy them R2 eventually.
In the meantime I still have my 'VHS transferred to DVD' I did before starting to buy the DVDs.
I was a bit morally torn selling them at such extravagant prices (for instance I sold Web Planet two days ago. I had bought it second hand in mint quality for 8$ and sold it for 122$) but who am I to judge the need collectors have to HAVE them in their collection. Plus I can use the money as work is scarce and maybe the buyers are super rich and don't mind throwing their money away.

All this to say that I have hope they will reappear in a format or another from the BBC in the years to come. I think the fandom is growing even in NOrth America so the Beeb wouldn't pass an opportunity to make more money off off us!!!

Last edited by rogerrobert69; 03-13-14 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-17-14, 01:32 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Reading that makes me extremely happy that I picked up the out of print discs as soon as they were announced as OOP.
Old 03-18-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know. Selling them at such a high price makes me feel bad. I was sort of hoping nobody would buy them and I would get to keep them. But then again as I mentioned, I can use the money at this point. So I guess that makes me one of those parasites that lives of of other peoples needs

Last edited by rogerrobert69; 03-18-14 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-18-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Freakin' parasite!

Seriously tho, do it if you need the cash. I use to sell OOP discs the second I heard they were being re-released for big bucks back in the day. I think I sold the Image Terminator release for over $100 a few months before MGM released their version. I also sold the first X-Files Fight the Future DVD for $40 by just putting OOP in the title. The DTS version was released a month or so later.

Sell 'em and by the Region 2 versions.
Old 03-19-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It annoys me, but I can't say too much. We just sold an old Sega CD game on eBay for $400+ . We used the money to buy a WiiU.

I wish the solution to the problem was companies keeping things in print better.
Old 03-20-14, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Out of curiosity what Sega CD game? Wondering if I should go on a basement hunt to dig up my old games.
Old 03-20-14, 07:56 AM

I almost asked the same question last night. Had no idea there was any SegaCD game considered to be worth that much!
Old 03-20-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Keio Flying Squadron.
Old 03-20-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had the Sega CD and the 32x in my garage for years before giving it all to a children's hospital during a massive house cleaning about 10 years ago along with a ton of Phantom Menace action figures.
Old 03-20-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the thought, but May is close enough for me.
Old 06-11-14, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

The latest news, from TV Shows on DVD:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-...r-Menace/19865

In a nutshell, "The Underwater Menace," with reconstructed animations of the first and fourth episodes, isn't coming out any time soon, if at all.

And "it's looking like the range is dead." (Whatever that means.)

Also looks like the "Five-ish Doctors" might be coming to disc, probably in a 50th Anniversary boxed set.

And, for those who are still interested, the latest on the OMNIRUMOUR:

http://www.warpedfactor.com/2014/05/...octor.html?m=1

Provides some information and speculation on what might be going on with all of those allegedly recovered episodes. This might also explain why "the range is dead" comment and why animated reconstructions have ceased...
Old 06-11-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish they'd at least put the OOP titles back in print so I don't have to pay $60 a pop. And lowering the MSRP on some of the others would definitely help. I'd love to have every episode of Who on DVD someday.
Old 06-11-14, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I wish they'd at least put the OOP titles back in print so I don't have to pay $60 a pop. And lowering the MSRP on some of the others would definitely help.
Two good reasons to go region-free and buy the R2s...
Old 06-13-14, 12:02 AM

I'm pissed off at how Doctor Who is being handled on DVD/Blu-Ray now. Instead of getting The Underwater Menace or something else not out on DVD/Blu-Ray we're getting split season releases of the David Tennant seasons. Seasons which have been released at least three times on DVD and once on Blu-Ray for Region 1 users. And then there's this bullshit with certain DVDs being out of print. I have all of the out of print titles so I don't feel denied, but what about people that don't have them? Why not at a minimum offer them through the Warner Brothers Archive? Doctor Who is one of the best selling TV shows on DVD/Blu-Ray, but they have done such a shit job with handling releases as of late.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.