Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 07-07-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Puts a smile on my face. Also, people are posting over at Outpost Gallifrey that nearly every Best Buy has sold out of the box set. Good exposure for the show.

TVShows on DVD has the covers for Hand of Fear & Mark of the Rani:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5999
Old 07-07-06, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too liked Ecclestone. Was worried about Tenant going into the new season but I'm starting to like him more.
Old 07-07-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would avoid anything by Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy
I would however recommend Remembrance of the Daleks, which is easily the best episode for either of those two doctors.
Old 07-07-06, 11:18 PM

I do not think they (Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy) were that bad. Tom Baker is probably by far my favorite, maybe because I started with him. Have yet to see the earlier ones, The Beginning ! So no comment on them, yet.
Old 07-15-06, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From the Digital Bits:

And Warner Bros. has announced a number of interesting new titles...(snipped). Finally, also on 11/7, the studio will release individual DVD volumes of the BBC and Sci-Fi Channel's new Doctor Who TV series, including Doctor Who: Series 1, Volume 1 (Rose/The End of the World/Unquiet Dead), Doctor Who: Series 1, Volume 2 (Aliens of London/World War Three/Dalek), Doctor Who: Series 1, Volume 3 (Long Game/Father's Day/Empty Child/The Doctor Dances) and Doctor Who: Series 1, Volume 4 (Boom Town/Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways). These are the same as the volumes already released individually on PSP format - the DVDs will sell for SRP $19.98 each. Keep in mind that the complete first season (or series, as they say in the U.K.) is already available in one package on DVD for SRP $99.98.

Huh.
Old 07-16-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy did a crdable job with what they were given, problem was the production staff had pretty much lost it by that point and were just churning out crap for the most part.

Although their two Dalek stories, and Attack of the Cybermen weren't too bad. Definately run away in fear from anything from McCoys first season though.
Old 07-19-06, 01:14 PM

From the Digital Bits:

Quote:
And Warner Bros. has announced a number of interesting new titles...(snipped). Finally, also on 11/7, the studio will release individual DVD volumes of the BBC and Sci-Fi Channel's new Doctor Who TV series ... the DVDs will sell for SRP $19.98 each. Keep in mind that the complete first season (or series, as they say in the U.K.) is already available in one package on DVD for SRP $99.98.

Huh.
I assume by that you're wondering why anyone would want them?

I, for one, am glad they're releasing the "vanilla" individual discs here in the US. Why? Because the individual discs have the original "simple stereo" (i.e. broadcast) sound mix. The reason this is so desirable is that the BBC really screwed up when they remixed the audio for 5.1 on the boxset. Most reviews of the set have made mention of the fact that sound FX and music drown-out the dialogue in many places on the boxset.

This is not a problem on the individual discs, so if you want the episodes with a "proper" sound mix, with the dialogue more prominent, the individual/vanilla discs are the way to go. Besides, the extras on the boxset (for me, anyway) aren't all that compelling. No gag reels or deleted scenes, so I'm not really bothered.

Let's just hope the BBC don't make a pig's ear of the sound mix on the series 2 box...
Old 07-19-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mythmaker18,

Where did you see specs indicating that these discs will have different transfers than the ones in the box set? What makes you think they will just not be releasing the same discs from the box set individually, w/o the bonus disc.
Old 07-19-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brett
What makes you think they will just not be releasing the same discs from the box set individually, w/o the bonus disc.
Because these are the same vanilla discs that were originally released in other regions. What you makes you think that won't be the case?
Old 07-19-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by evenswr
Because these are the same vanilla discs that were originally released in other regions. What you makes you think that won't be the case?
The original single disc releases were done BEFORE the box set was available. In other regions is was all PAL releases anyways. If they already went through the effort of converting the PAL box-set discs to NTSC, then why wouldn't they just release these discs (with new cover art/disc art) as the single-disc releases, instead of remastering the older single-disc releases as well for NTSC.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6057

No info on what discs will have though, other than the episode titles.

PS. Looks like the first volume of the forthcoming Torchwood spinoff series will be coming out on DVD in the UK in November!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...6%26v%3Dglance

Last edited by Brett; 07-19-06 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-19-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original single disc releases were done BEFORE the box set was available. In other regions is was all PAL releases anyways. If they already went through the effort of converting the PAL box-set discs to NTSC, then why wouldn't they just release these discs (with new cover art/disc art) as the single-disc releases, instead of remastering the older single-disc releases as well for NTSC.
Well, Steve Manfred doesn't mention it on this site. That's good enough for me.
Old 07-19-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
I assume by that you're wondering why anyone would want them?

Actually, it was more along the lines of "Huh. Who would have thunk they'd actually release these out here?"

Just before this announcement, I was debating importing the R2 editions for the very reasons you site (tho I don't believe the 5.1 mixes were THAT horrible). I'd like to have the original mixes in my collection.
Old 07-19-06, 04:43 PM

They don't have to "remaster" them into NTSC: just playback the original dubbing masters and run them through a digital converter, the same thing they'd have done for the boxset.

As the vanillas have a different menu system (static rather than animated, I think), and likely different episode configuration per disc, it'd be easier for them to use the vanilla masters for R1 vanillas.

Also, there's that edict from 2Entertain/Worldwide that editions released in one territory are to be identical to releases in other parts of the world. That would include, I should think, using the same dubbing masters. The only difference would be video standard (NTSC/PAL).

It's way more likely these will simply be a port-over of the UK vanillas (and PSPs). I'd be shocked if they went to all the extra work to use the boxset versions. Plus, as the sound problem has been well-documented, some fans will probably double-dip to get the "as-broadcast" sound mix to go along with the boxsets they already own.

If it weren't for the sound problem, I believe they wouldn't have released the vanillas over here, unless they're also aiming them at the "inexpensive Christmas gifts for the sci-fi geek in the family" crowd.

Personally, I'm still trying to decide whether to wait for the R1 vanillas, or go ahead and import the R2s, as they may end up being cheaper anyway.

The big question in my mind: how long will we have to wait for an NTSC version of series 2, and will they release the boxset first again, or do like the UK and put the vanillas out first (if at all)? Hopefully, Sci-Fi will pick up series 2 sooner than they did series 2, so that we (hopefully) won't get the insane delays we got this time around.
Old 07-19-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info, I've got the R1 box set on the way from a trade.
I will see how much the 5.1 mix annoys me and then decide if I really need the sep. releases too.

I would guess that Sci-fi will start airing S2 as soon as they can.
The first season (of the new series) was such a HUGE ratings gain for them that I can't imagine that they'd wait too long, unless they try and milk the first season for as much as they possibly can. Strike while the iron is hot.

Though, I suspect they'll prob wait until at least the December time frame so they can air the Christmas Invasion (the bridging ep between seasons 1 & 2) then and prob start up the second season in Jan/Feb of '07.

By then, Series 2 will be out on DVD in the UK, so it may be a tough call for some.
That CyberMan head packaging looks really cool, but where I am quickly running out of storage space, I actually prefer the compactness of our R1 releases.
Old 07-19-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TVShows on DVD have the first two covers up for the Vanilla S1 releases. Pretty much exactly like the R2 editions.

Old 07-19-06, 06:37 PM

I own the region 1 box set of the First Series and the 5.1 mix sounds fine to me. I'm not saying that the problem mentioned above doesn't exist, but if it is there it certainly wasn't noticeable or bothersome to me at all. And I'm pretty sure that if dialog was being drowned out by music and/or FX in many places, I probably would have noticed. So if you're holding off on purchasing the region 1 box set purely for this reason, then this might alleviate your fears somewhat.
Old 07-19-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All one has to do is simply bump the center channel level up a bit if you're having dialog problems and then lower it back afterward. Not really a big deal.
Old 07-19-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a hold of "Rose" in the vanilla R2 edition first. The soundmix was okay. I then got a hold of the 5.1 mix on the R2 discs. I prefer it much more. I'd much rather have the 5.1. I would've simply imported the R2 discs, but waited to buy the R1 due to the horrid R2 TARDIS box.

From my understanding the 5.1 mix is the intended mix. The reason it's broadcast in 2.0 is because the Beeb doesn't broadcast in 5.1 As a result, the 5.1 mix on the full box is a selling point. (No reference available; I just remember reading that somewhere.)
Old 07-20-06, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
All one has to do is simply bump the center channel level up a bit if you're having dialog problems and then lower it back afterward. Not really a big deal.
That is, of course, assuming you're watching it with home theatre speakers and aren't like me, someone who has to make do with the TV's own speakers, where there's no "centre" channel to adjust.

I'm surprised the 5.1 mix hasn't annoyed more Yanks. The Brits, especially those who hang out at the Roobarb's forum on Zetaminor.co.uk, have had a lot of negative things to say about the 5.1 mix. Almost in universal agreement that it's poor and that the broadcast mix is much better.
Old 07-20-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That is, of course, assuming you're watching it with home theatre speakers and aren't like me, someone who has to make do with the TV's own speakers, where there's no "centre" channel to adjust.
Off topic, but I've never been able to afford a "real" home theater setup--but it's often very easy & cheap to add a pair of bargain stereo speakers to your TV, and use the TV speaker(s) as the center. 3-Channel mixdown for practically no money, and it can be surprisingly good depending on your setup.
Old 07-21-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised the 5.1 mix hasn't annoyed more Yanks. The Brits, especially those who hang out at the Roobarb's forum on Zetaminor.co.uk, have had a lot of negative things to say about the 5.1 mix. Almost in universal agreement that it's poor and that the broadcast mix is much better.
True. But then the gang on Roobarb's forum seem to have a lot of negative things to say about everything.
Old 08-05-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really DVD related but...it does mean the Region 1 version of the Series 2 box set will show up earlier now.

From Outpost Gallifrey:

Series Two of the new Doctor Who series starring David Tennant and Billie Piper will, by all indication, see its US debut on September 29 on the Sci Fi Channel, along with Series One repeats earlier in the day. The news hasn't officially been confirmed by the channel; however, an NBC/Universal release (in PDF form) for Sci Fi shows that Doctor Who returns to the schedule on the evening starting at 9pm four episodes, the first two of which are marked "new" (and "repeat" at 11pm and 12am, the usual pattern for a premiere night). Outpost Gallifrey was, in fact, told that the series was "almost certain" to return "this October" recently, although no information was forthcoming until this release. Sci Fi's schedulebot does show four episodes broadcast that evening; in late September, there is almost no likelihood of a Friday night airing of reruns.

Will "The Christmas Invasion" be included? Says Benjamin Elliott of "This Week in Doctor Who," "The Christmas Invasion is 59 minutes long without commercials, so it would either have to be a) skipped and shown later or b) have 15 1/2 minutes chopped out of it to fit SciFi's schedule as currently displayed. It does have an extended trailer for Series 2 that could be cut and the credits will always get squeezed, but that still leaves 13 minutes unaccounted for. SciFi has always felt willing to change their schedule at a moment's notice, so things can always change. They could air Christmas Invasion complete and have filler to finish the 2 hours. But for now, we must assume one of the following 2 scenarios: 9pm Christmas Invasion and 10pm New Earth, or 9pm New Earth and 10pm Tooth and Claw. The Christmas Invasion isn't required to enjoy Series 2, but some references (notably at the end of the series) make more sense if you see it, and as David Tennant's debut story it helps establish the kind of Doctor he is." Also noted is the fact that the Daytime marathon on September 29 on the Sci Fi Channel is the last 8 episodes of Series 1, which makes sense to lead into the new episodes.

We'll bring you official word from Sci Fi as soon as it's official, but this matches everything we've been told about Sci Fi's positive reaction to the first series ratings in the spring and the desire to bring the show back with new episodes by the end of 2006. (Thanks to Benjamin Elliott and Lee Whiteside)
Old 08-08-06, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Not really DVD related but...it does mean the Region 1 version of the Series 2 box set will show up earlier now.
We can only hope!

What I'm crossing my fingers for: a simultaneous release of the S2 boxset in both R2 and R1: i.e. in time for Christmas! If the news of the Sci-Fi airings is true, then all S2 episodes should have aired in the US before then. The only possible "fly in the ointment": it's looking like The Christmas Invasion is going to be "held back" (i.e. not run in its chronological place prior to episode 2.1) to be run near Christmas! If they have some kind of deal where they get "first" US exposure of all episodes, that could hold back the boxset until after Christmas, as the S2 boxset will include Invasion.

I hope SciFi intend to air this year's Christmas special this Christmas, and not hold it off until airing after series 3 (that would be just as retarded as running Christmas Invasion after series 2).

The only way I can see airing Invasion at Christmas would be as a kick-off to a series 2 marathon.

What I think they should do is air it as the first show of the "new" season. If they need to "fill" the timeslot to two hours (as the uncut episode runs 59 minutes), then they could run the "mini-episode" from Children in Need (if they can get the rights) and put in some other fillers/more ads to pad out a 90 minute or 2 hour slot.

Anyway, I digress. Fingers crossed for a nice Christmas box from BBC Worldwide this year (with no dodgy audio this time).
Old 08-10-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's official:

BBC Announces US Series Two Debut
TV Series News
August 10, 2006
The official Doctor Who website today officially announced that the second series has been picked up in America by the Sci Fi Channel. Says the release, "The SCI FI Channel and BBC Worldwide Americas have confirmed that Doctor Who will return to SCI FI in September 2006. The run will kick off with a two-hour premiere package that will include David Tennant's debut, The Christmas Invasion. Chris Regina, Vice President of Programming, SCI FI Channel, said 'Our audience has clearly embraced 'Doctor Who' and it has delivered a significant increase in viewers in the time period. We are looking forward to keeping the momentum going with David Tennant as the new Doctor.' Executive Producer and Lead Writer Russell T Davies says, 'We were delighted by the first season's success in the US, and can promise new thrills, new laughs, new heartbreak, and some terrifying new aliens in Season Two.'"

Though we'd heard in recent days that there was significant confusion over whether or not "The Christmas Invasion" would be broadcast as a holiday special or as part of the actual run, it now appears that it will be the item that fills part of the two-hour slot on Friday 29 September, which is the date that is listed on the Sci Fi Channel website schedule. There is no word, however, as to whether it will be padded with other material to fill the two hour slot, or if it will be edited to share the two hour block with the first regular episode of the season, "New Earth". The BBC announcement does not list a date; the 29 September date is, however, the current planned launch date both according to our source as well as the Sci Fi "schedulebot". There has been no detail posted on Sci Fi's website, but of course, the official BBC site was also where the first season's broadcast was announced.

Hopefully, that means we'll get the Series 2 box set late this year or early next.
Old 09-03-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
Okay, I have watched the following:

Series 1 (2005)
Children in Need Special
Christmas Invasion

I'd like to start watching more Who, but there are a few things I'm unclear on:

1) There is so much out there, I'd like to concentrate more on "mythology" than all of the individual stories. I have a feeling this may not be as simple as it sounds though (ala Smallville), since there seems to have been a lot of implied backstory that occurred between the 8th and 9th Doctors.

2) I did some cross referencing, but it appears that "The Beginning" boxed set (R1) has the 90% of what is available on video for William Hartnell. Am I missing something by holding off? It appears that 3 and a bit of a 4th are missing (story arcs)? Not sure if these ever made it to dvd though.

3) Reference number 2 in relation to 1. It does appear "The Daleks" is critical.

4) Was reading up on the 8th/The Movie (which I did see, but that was 10 years ago and I don't remember much since Doctor Who didn't interest me) - I must say it looks really good from a mythology standpoint (old villan ? and seeing a regernation). BTW, is tha the first regeneration that was seen with both actors in place?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.