Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Hmmm missing episodes threads closed on GB until dec 2, and thread on outpost skaro also closed. Announcement imminent, or just a busy time coming up?
Old 11-20-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Since it's only the Missing Episodes threads, I'd say all signs point to yes.
Old 11-20-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Maybe the mods just want to take a break for the holidays.
Old 11-20-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, Steve Hill closed that thread leading up to the October announcements for Enemy and Web. This time he is saying he is too busy in the next few weeks with the 50th celebrations, and didn't want to police that thread anymore. Weird thing is Skaro is closed this time too.

Could the rumors of Marco Polo being announced imminently be true? Getting exciting........ keep your eyes peeled tomorrow during Adventure In Space and Time. I really can't wait!

edit to add: just noticed on Skaro, a very cheeky poster dropping hints about Marco Polo, but not in an explicit way....kind of like someone holding the nuts in hold 'em poker and just can't hide the excitement. Really looks like he knows something and won't explicitly say....and we would know very soon

Last edited by Autotelik; 11-20-13 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope you guys are right about an imminent announcement. But I can see some truth in the reasons given by Steve Hill for closing his GB thread. I read it frequently in the last weeks and it was running around in circles with just speculations without proof and counter attacks by nay sayers. Some people getting rude to others more and more as anticipation builds. It could just be that the thread was pretty much going nowhere and just passing time so he figured lets wait and see after that 50th week...
Lets cross our fingers though
Old 11-21-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

What is with places like Gallifrey Base that you have to join to view the forum. What are they hiding? Do they seriously expect me to blindly sign up to a community without seeing what it's like first?
Old 11-21-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You guys might be right, and maybe I'm letting the excitement and buildup of the 50th get to me. It is possible that GB just closed that missing episodes thread because the bickering would probably get insane over the weekend, and then Skaro closed also because they didn't want all the crazies from GB migrating over there. That Marco Polo stuff last night on Skaro got all deleted.

We'll see.... not much longer to wait now.

I would say that my hopes are pretty high and I'm a believer, but if we don't hear anything more AFTER the Web of Fear DVD comes out next year, then I will start doubting the rumors. So.... I'll give them 6 months.
Old 11-22-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the last few pages in the GB thread before closing people who were sure that things (a shitload according to them) had been recovered and would be announced for the 50th slowly started saying that announcement might not be this week. Then someone said december. Then easter next year. Then someone had a theory of 'gradually in the next four years'. Either their confidence was eroding or the BBC is playing a complex game.

So I guess your attitude of hoping until the Web DVD (some rumours even say ep 3 was found but BBC are holding until the DVD release!!! Crazy imo) is out is fairly good. That's the deadline I set myself as well. Although I'm more in the mind that Web and Enemy are IT for now. Until a next find...
Old 11-22-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
In the last few pages in the GB thread before closing people who were sure that things (a shitload according to them) had been recovered and would be announced for the 50th slowly started saying that announcement might not be this week. Then someone said december. Then easter next year. Then someone had a theory of 'gradually in the next four years'. Either their confidence was eroding or the BBC is playing a complex game.

So I guess your attitude of hoping until the Web DVD (some rumours even say ep 3 was found but BBC are holding until the DVD release!!! Crazy imo) is out is fairly good. That's the deadline I set myself as well. Although I'm more in the mind that Web and Enemy are IT for now. Until a next find...
RE: the part I bolded above - that makes the most sense. As I understand, all the known episodes have been released on DVD correct? By spreading out the releases, this gives them a budgetable revenue stream for the near future. I still think they could just announce that they've found the big lot of them and still make it clear that the restoration is going to take time so we shouldn't expect them all at once.
Old 11-22-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting that Rich is being uncharacteristically mum on this new round of rumors.
Old 11-22-13, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Anyone see google.co.uk today?
Old 11-22-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you talking about the WhoDoodle? Then yes, I've played it last night when it launched on the Australian Google. Took me 10 incarnations but I finally beat it.

Here's some interesting news regarding Marco Polo.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...-seven-2839102

Seven lost episodes of Doctor Who 1964 series Marco Polo filmed by fan to be unveiled next month

Thought to have been lost forever, footage recorded on a cine camera has been restored by BBC Worldwide

Seven lost Doctor Who episodes that were recorded by a fan are set to be unveiled next month.

The BBC are desperately keeping the existence of the 1964 series - called Marco Polo, featuring William Hartnell as the Doctor - secret.

They are one of the only series where no video footage exists – and was thought to have been lost forever.

A TV insider revealed: “This is a massive deal for Doctor Who fans, these episodes were hugely popular with viewers when they were first shown and are set to be a hit again.”

The chance to recover the wiped Marco Polo episodes has come from the dedication of a fan who enthusiastically recorded the episodes on a cine camera.

The fan recorded the episodes directly from the television onto a 16mm film camera.

Since the discovery of the cine film, the recordings have been carefully restored and transferred onto broadcast tape by BBC Worldwide.

The source continued: “This new discovery is all down to a dedicated fan who spent ages recording the episodes back in the sixties.

“The recording - which is a silent film - came out really clearly so it will be easy to watch... the fan did it in a very professional way.

“There are already audio recordings of the episodes so the Beeb have had to match everything up. There are some gaps in the audio so it has been a painstaking process.

“Where there are gaps in audio they are going to be re-recorded using contemporary actors who sound as close to the original actors as possible.

“The fan had been holding onto these tapes for a long time and when the BBC found out about the tapes they jumped at the chance of using them. It’s a massive coup for the broadcaster.”

Marco Polo also features Mark Eden, 85, who went on to star in TV series such as Jesus of Nazareth and Coronation Street as evil Alan Bradley.

The story is set in China, in the year 1289, with the regular series characters interacting with Venetian merchant-explorer Marco Polo and Chinese Emperor Kublai Khan.

The amazing discovery comes after nine missing Doctor Who episodes from the 60s - featuring Patrick Troughton, the Second Doctor after William Hartnell - were unveiled last month after being discovered in Nigeria.

They were finally tracked down by Phillip Morris, director of Television International Enterprises Archives, using the Beeb’s old records of material sent for overseas transmission.

The stories recovered include The Enemy of the World, which first aired in December 1967. Episodes 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 had been missing from the archives.

Also unearthed were episodes 2, 4, 5, and 6 of the 1968 six-part adventure The Web of Fear. Sadly, episode 3 is still missing but a restoration team working with BBC Worldwide has pieced it together using salvaged images and the original audio tape.

I know it's from the Mirror but the story seems more involved than a typical rumor. They could have just gone with saying it was found with the other stories in Nigeria instead of the whole 16mm angle. So... maybe leaning more toward a true story?
Old 11-22-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hm. The master list of rumors linked above claims that copies of "Marco Polo" were recovered in both Ethiopia and Hong Kong.

I would think that if they had recovered actual copies, they wouldn't have bothered with all of the restoration involved in transferring a 16mm film shot directly from someone's television and reconstructing audio tracks.

Does this destroy the credibility of the "big list?"

Or is there some kind of conspiracy where the BBC is sitting on all of these episodes, but are keeping quiet so they can recoup some investment on the restoration that began on "Marco Polo" (and any other kind of restoration/reconstruction of other episodes) before the big find?
Old 11-22-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some seem to think that The Mirror has part of the story wrong, which isn't unusual for The Mirror. The equipment needed to do a high-quality telerecording in 1964 would have been quite expensive, and IF someone bothered to do the recording, why do it without sound? And if this person did it for Marco Polo, what about other early Dr. Who stories?

My theory is that Marco Polo is definitely going to have an imminent announcement (right on the tails of AAISAT for maximum profit), but the source is not a home recording. I'm betting on an announcement during Saturday evening. At first I thought they wouldn't do that because it would take away some of the spotlight on the Day of the Doctor... but AAISAT was so awesome, telling people they can purchase Marco Polo on iTunes would be the logical follow-up.

Quoting this from someone's post on Skaro:
"It's funny. I was at the Celebration event today and Waris Hussein was talking about Marco Polo. He was asked about the use of colour in scenery/costume etc and he corrected himself halfway through a sentence. ‘If you watch…if you’re ever lucky enough to be able to watch those episodes…’ Not at all conclusive, but it made me smile, anyway."

Some also claiming Marco Polo isn't the only story that will be announced too....others will be announced at the same time.

Last edited by Autotelik; 11-22-13 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-23-13, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played the Doctor Who game Google had and it was very fun for such a basic game. I wish they had this for download. A word of warning though.

Spoiler:
Don't let that Weeping Angel sneak up on you in the graveyard!
Old 11-23-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More media outlets reporting the Marco Polo find. It's only matter of time now. Heading out to the theater's simulcast soon, and hopefully when I get home there will be some really good news.
Old 11-23-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Still no official word?
Old 11-23-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More waiting. You would think that from a strictly $$$ perspective that getting a Hartnell story out there on iTunes, right after An Adventure in Space and Time, would net you a tidy some.

I think many are still confident.... just a matter of "when"
Old 11-25-13, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rich finally weighs in...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/...sing-episodes/
Old 11-26-13, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a lot of the new DR Who episodes. Particularly loves the time angels who scare the hell out of me. Did you see the 50th anniversary special?
Old 11-26-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GayDiva2013
I've seen a lot of the new DR Who episodes. Particularly loves the time angels who scare the hell out of me. Did you see the 50th anniversary special?
There's a thread over in TV talk about the 50th Anniversary Special:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/613...s-special.html

You might want to start here in the thread, when the first minisode for the 50th was released:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/613...l#post11908464
Old 11-27-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Best Buy will have Day of the Doctor available a week before everyone else starting December 3rd.

Old 11-27-13, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone knows if - and where - we'll be able to watch The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot in North America eventually? BBC's iplayer is locked for England : (
Old 11-27-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="400" height="500" frameborder="0" src="http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/embed/smpEmbed.html?playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fiplayer%2Fplaylist%2Fp01m3kfy&title=Doctor%20Who%3A%20The%20Day%20of%20the%20Doctor%3A%20The%20Five(ish)%20Doctors%20Reboot&product=iplayer"></iframe>
Old 11-27-13, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks! For some reason I couldn't play it before. Some funny stuff in there

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.