Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 10-10-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

A complete Web of Fear was more than I hoped for. I would be completely satisfied if that and the last episode of Tenth Planet were all that ever turned up.
Old 10-10-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 640 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
A complete Web of Fear was more than I hoped for.
That's good, because it's still incomplete. Episode 3 is still missing; it's being reconstructed with stills and audio for this release.

The Northern Echo has issued an apology for their leak:
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...___an_apology/
Dr Who - an apology

WHO'S sorry now... within the last hour we have inadvertently upset Dr Who fans across the universe by breaking an embargo about the identity of some long lost episodes.

We would like to make it clear that this was a genuine mistake and we did not mean to cause consternation amongst followers of the Time Lord by leaping into the future.

Following a twitter storm, and a phone call from BBC Worldwide, our website has been "doctored" to remove the offending details.

Within eight minutes the story has become the most read on our website. Sadly, we are unable to go back in time and undo our abominable mistake so we can only sincerely apologise.

For those who missed it, all will be revealed on northernecho.co.uk at midnight.

The man responsible has been exterminated by popular demand.
Old 10-10-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Independent has put up a gallery of stills from the two "lost" serials, The Enemy Of The World and The Web Of Fear:
http://www.independent.co.uk/indepen...=gallery&ino=1
Old 10-10-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The Independent has put up a gallery of stills from the two "lost" serials, The Enemy Of The World and The Web Of Fear:
http://www.independent.co.uk/indepen...=gallery&ino=1
Are those new images? There's been stills of the lost episodes all along.

I know it's too much to ask for every missing episode, but I'm hoping there's enough found that it will make animating what's left to be economical enough for the BBC.
Old 10-10-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, if Phillip Morris is the one who found these, then the rumors from several months back were linked to this find then. That story ran wild back then, and Morris even issued a statement emphatically and categorically denying any finds. Guess he just wanted to shake off the news and get some peace for a few months until the announcement.
Old 10-10-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The previously missing, presumed destroyed episodes hail from The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear, with episodes 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 of Enemy completing that particular story and the return of episodes 2, 4, 5, and 6 of Web meaning only episode 3 of the Yeti sequel is still missing. Episode 3 of Enemy and episode 1 of Web were also returned, but were already held in the archive.
Confirmed. Not as much as we hoped but better than nothing!

All the episodes - including a reconstructed episode 3 of Web - have been remastered and are available to buy via download as of now from iTunes by people in the UK, the USA, Canada, Australia, France, and Germany. The third episode of Web has been reconstructed by the BBC Doctor Who Restoration Team, using a selection of the 37 images that were available from the episode, along with the original audio, which has been restored.

In addition, The Enemy of the World will be released on DVD on Friday 22nd November ahead of Doctor Who's 50th anniversary, with The Web of Fear to follow in early 2014.
End of speculations and a few hopes deflated. One episode short of two complete stories. But hey, better than nothing!!!

Last edited by rogerrobert69; 10-10-13 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts

I still can't fathom how only partial serials show up, especially when they're from TV stations. How would they not have all of them right together?

Wonder if they'll do an animated reconstruction for that missing ep of Web?
Old 10-10-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's just what they're telling us for now, right?

There has been a lot of buzz about the things they're not confirming. Maybe they don't have everything in their possession yet, and are still negotiating their return? That Phillip Morris story from a few months back does suggest the haul is large.

I'm willing to bet that there's more to come.

But I'm still happy if that's all we're ever to get.
Old 10-10-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://missingepisodes.proboards.com...435/ian-levine

Look at the first post from 2005. Is this the culmination of what he asked about back in 2005? An 8 year journey. Wow! And all those doubters too.....
Old 10-10-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Just for fun, here's a comprehensive website that covers the missing episodes:

Where the episodes were sold.

Known prints and their fates.

Gives some insight into which episodes might still be out in the wild somewhere, which will likely never be recovered, and how the quest for missing episodes is conducted.
Old 10-10-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I still can't fathom how only partial serials show up, especially when they're from TV stations. How would they not have all of them right together?
Well, in this case, they had all of The Enemy of the World, and most of Web of Fear, only missing episode 3.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Wonder if they'll do an animated reconstruction for that missing ep of Web?
It's possible, maybe for a DVD release. They've just gone with stills for the iTunes release.

Videos of Philip Morris talking about finding the episodes, and Deborah Watling & Frazer Hines reminiscing about the episodes.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...s-mark-2359546

Clips from Web of Fear:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...-clips-2359692
Old 10-10-13, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More clips here:
http://www.threeifbyspace.net/2013/1...ailers-inside/

The Enemy of the World trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Ckdpvg22w

Web of Fear trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPm6zcy_6j0
Old 10-10-13, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Found the iTunes links:
Web of Fear

The Enemy of the World

They're for sale for $1.99 per episode, or $9.99 per story here in the US.
Old 10-10-13, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another hunch that I have about a potentially larger haul is the fact that we still don't have any details about HOW this find came about. We have no details on the story. How did he come to look there. How long ago was this found? How did he get it back into the BBC's hands? The very brief posts on GB from people "in the know" just say it's an incredible story, and Outpost Skaro says maybe we'll learn about it in a year or two. In the past, when something was discovered, we would hear about how it occurred (collector's attic, flea market, etc) It would seem like there's still ongoing searches? Or negotiations for further returns? Or they have them all already and don't want us to know about the rest until they are remastered and ready for release. It's no coincidence that the Great Intelligence was featured in the latest season of new Who..... someone knew about Web of Fear's recovery a LONG time ago.
Old 10-10-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Autotelik
Another hunch that I have about a potentially larger haul is the fact that we still don't have any details about HOW this find came about. We have no details on the story.
We have some details on the story.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...ble-on-itunes/
Eleven Doctor Who episodes were discovered (nine of which have not been seen for 46 years) by Philip Morris, director of Television International Enterprises Archive, by tracking records of tape shipments made by the BBC to Africa for transmission. Morris says, “The tapes had been left gathering dust in a store room at a television relay station in Nigeria. I remember wiping the dust off the masking tape on the canisters and my heart missed a beat as I saw the words ‘Doctor Who’. When I read the story code I realized I’d found something pretty special.”
About Us page for Television International Enterprises Archive:
http://www.tiea.co.uk/about_us.htm
TIEA is an independent archive presentation and recovery organisation created by Phillip Morris (Executive Director), with the sole purpose of preserving international foreign cultures TV and Radio Heritage

Television International Enterprises and Archives LTD (TIEA) operates in a very competitive worldwide media environment. We provide advice and assistance in all aspects of the care and storage of archival materials. This includes 16 & 35mm negatives and prints, 2 inch (Quadruplex) videotape, 1 inch A & C format videotape, industrial 1 inch videotape and analogue cassette formats (Philips 1500/1700), U-Matic, Beta SP & MII). Additionally through our network of industry contacts, we can also source parts for most film and videotape equipment whether it is still in everyday use or not. Alternatively we can source a reliable transfer facility for any format your material resides on.

TIEA also offers a unique service to all televisual archives across the globe. We identify purchased material in archives and return them to the country of origin. The major benefit is that the host archive no longer has to pay to store and manage this excess material, nor pay for the disposal of it. The originating archive benefits by having spare copies for resale. This service costs the host archive nothing at all

We can provide free playback equipment on all formats to assist in the migration of materials on to a new format all transit costs of materials is covered by ourselves we are the world leader in archive assistance.
From forum posts by Philip Morris in 2005 that Autotelik linked to above:
http://missingepisodes.proboards.com...435/ian-levine
does anyone know,what ian levine,plans to do about the recovery of missing episodes,i myself have been considering,a little overseas travel, i work overseas and i think by traveling to some or even all countrys and searching ,is maybe the best way now,of finally putting the rumours,and stories to rest,if its there lets go there,and ask politely it can do no harm,who knows i might turn up a thing or two...

...i work overseas and have seen africa first hand ,they are behind the times, and there are many old british films here they throw nothing away, you are entitled to your opinion of course,there is only one way to end speculation on the subject and thats to be here and look.
He founded TIEA in 2011.

Back in June Philip Morris denied having recovered any episodes, and tried to explain away a shipment from Africa to the UK:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...royed-the-end/
I have also become aware of the tracking of some of our clients shipments these are local cultural materials sent to us for migration to a modern format as the playback equipment in the country of origin no longer exists and as such is the best road to preserve international cultural heritage
In the video I linked to above, Philip Morris explains how the recovered episodes originally were shipped to Hong Kong, and traveled via a "bicycle system" to other countries, eventually ending up in Nigeria. It's possible he tracked it down via shipping manifests and the like.

More info here, plus info on the DVD release of the two recovered series:
http://www.stuff.tv/bbc/lost-time-ho...-episodes/news
Both recovered Doctor Who stories will be available to buy from www.itunes.com/doctorwho from 11 October, ahead of their DVD releases – The Enemy of the World will hit DVD on 25 November, with The Web of Fear following in 2014.
Old 10-11-13, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Although I would hope for more announcements, I do believe this is it for that rumour. 90 turned up to be 9?
I don't know that the BBC would be playing cover ops and conspiracy theories over something that may be a treasure to DW fans but is overall quite benign in the grand scheme of things.
Can't wait to get those two DVDs
Old 10-11-13, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We should all be happy with "the nine" for now. Steve Roberts of the Restoration Team has said that there is absolutely no evidence that any more have been located. Here's his quote, from Roobarb's Forum:

the reality is that we just don't know if there are any more. I think we all feel that it's likely that there's more to come, but we have absolutely no evidence. Nobody has seen anything more than the episodes that have been released. That's been the most frustrating part of the omnirumour - the absolute certainty amongst those people who convinced others that they were "in the know" that there was definitely a ninety episode haul, compared to the stark reality of only ever seeing any evidence of nine.
Mr. Morris has said that his "work must continue", so in his quest to chase down other leads, maybe he'll come up with something. For now, we should all probably calm down and wait to see if anything else develops.
Old 10-11-13, 08:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm holding out for the DVD's...hopefully with animated recreations of the missing parts.
Old 10-11-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Now that the excitement is over, I guess I should head over to Bleeding Cool and apologize to Rich Johnston!
Old 10-11-13, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
I'm holding out for the DVD's...hopefully with animated recreations of the missing parts.
Well, thankfully, of these two "new" stories, only one part is missing (Web 3).
Old 10-11-13, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Just got this in my inbox:

Greetings Westerner,

I am a Nigerian Price. I have in my possession many episodes of the English science fiction programme "Doctor Who" that were presumed to be lost forever. Among the videos in my possession are the complete serials for "Marco Polo," "Galaxy 4," "The Myth Makers," "The Dalek Master Plan," "The Celestial Toy Maker," "The Ten Planets," "The Powers of the Dalek," "The High Landers," "The Macrame Terror," "The Faceless One," "The Evil Daleks," "The Abominable Snowman," "Fury from the Deep," "The Wheel in Space," and many, many single episodes.

Unfortunately, I am unable to send these films back to Great Britain since they are being held by a warlord. I will require a transfer of funds in the order of ten thousand US dollars in order to release these films and return them to their rightful owners. Once these films are returned then I can repay you not only your ten thousand dollars back, but an additional twenty thousand dollars.

Please wire immediately wire the funds to [REDACTED] before these are lost forever.

Thank you.
Do you think it's legit?
Old 10-11-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 10-11-13, 11:16 PM

I'm glad we'll be getting DVD releases of these. There's no excuse for them not animating the lost episodes of these two serials, but what about animating the lost episodes of The Crusade? There are only two episodes for them to do for that, so what's the hold up?

So as far as the classic DVD line we have coming up:

The Tenth Planet
The Enemy Of The World
The Moonbase
The Web Of Fear

WHY NOT THE CRUSADE?!
Old 10-12-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Just got this in my inbox:

Do you think it's legit?
Lol
Old 10-13-13, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
I'm glad we'll be getting DVD releases of these. There's no excuse for them not animating the lost episodes of these two serials
Only The Web of Fear is missing an episode...Enemy of the World is complete.

As for The Crusade, perhaps they're waiting to see if the missing ones turn up in one of Mr. Morris' future adventures? I don't really see what the hurry is: the two existing episodes are already out there, and there are reconstructions out there (and the VHS had in-character links by William Russell, as I recall). They probably figure a Hartnell historical isn't probably something fans would want to buy twice if the missing episodes turn up later. Perhaps best to wait awhile and see if anything turns up before taking the plunge?

Also, I'm sure animating Web of Fear 3 is more of a priority right now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.