Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 11-27-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

** SPOILERISH**
I like to think it really is Davison, Baker and McCoy under those sheets in the episode proper.
Old 11-27-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

I do wonder if we'll end up getting a 50th Anniversary boxed set (sort of like the specials box for Tennant).

It could include: Day of the Doctor/Day of the Doctor 3D, An Adventure in Time and Space, the 2013 Christmas Special, and then a fourth disc containing other anniversary stuff like The Five(ish) Doctors, and the various specials they ran that week.
Old 12-05-13, 03:56 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I picked up The Day of the Doctor blu-ray at Best Buy yesterday. It came with a pack of Doctor Who cards, but I don't know if they are exclusive to Best Buy. Here is a picture of them for anyone that's interested:

Old 12-05-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

^ Oooooooo! That's nice! I hope it isn't an exclusive.
Old 12-12-13, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

With B&N's current 50% off British sale and 25% off coupon, I could get The Movie for 13.11. Can anyone tell me if that's the cheapest I'll be able to get that?
Old 12-12-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably. Best Buy occasionally has a sale of older Doctor Who titles. Last year, they had the TV Movie on sale for $9.99.
Old 12-13-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

When my B&N 50% haul comes in, will it be tacky to post a picture in this thread?
Old 12-13-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not at all. Tack away!
Old 12-13-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just watched my early release R1 DVD of Enemy of the World. Pure bliss. Great episode and pure joy of seeing a 'new' old episode. Jamie plays a bigger part than usual in helping the Doctor (in the first episodes at any rate) and that evil Salamander is a good villain. A more political story than usual.
Plus it comes with a slipcover, a first for my DW DVDs. The colors jear (jar?) a bit with the rest of my collection but it makes it 'stand out' as it is special in many ways.

Can't wait for Web next year. Hope we get an early release too...

Last edited by rogerrobert69; 12-13-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe some of those releases went OOP (Battlefield, Gunfighters, etc.). Very disappointing. I went ahead and ordered a bunch on Barnes & Noble for the 50% Off Sale; unlikely to find them any cheaper than that. I really miss the days of the 50% Off Sale and stacking coupons though... At any rate, this last batch puts my collection near completion, save for some of the OOP titles.
Old 12-14-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, what the heck is with those out of print titles? I'm trying to throw money at the BBC and there were several OOP Hartnells and Troughtons. You'd think with as many of those two Doctors' episodes that are missing they'd keep what they have in print.
Old 12-14-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what they're doing and it's pissing me off. I use to keep up with the monthly releases until I went overseas for work back in 2008. I came back home 3 years later and I'm way behind, struggling to pick up titles. Now even recent releases are OOP.
Old 12-14-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mike's Comics has one copy left of Planet of Spiders for 25$. Considering, that might be a good deal...

I ordered The Avengers - Emma Peel Megaset from Barnes & Nobles a week ago and they said my order is scheduled to ship on december 31st! It's the first time I ordered from them so is that delay usual or its because I'm in Montréal? Or is there something fishy (not in stock, etc).
Also can I add something to this order (I'm thinking Ice Warriors) or it would count as an extra order with extra shipping?
Can anyone who has done business with them lmk. Thanks.
Old 12-14-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Yeah, what the heck is with those out of print titles? I'm trying to throw money at the BBC and there were several OOP Hartnells and Troughtons. You'd think with as many of those two Doctors' episodes that are missing they'd keep what they have in print.
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I don't know what they're doing and it's pissing me off. I use to keep up with the monthly releases until I went overseas for work back in 2008. I came back home 3 years later and I'm way behind, struggling to pick up titles. Now even recent releases are OOP.
I really have no idea. Since the selection of OOP titles is so completely random, it almost looks like they're not repressing titles when they go out of print. They would occasionally do this in the past when something was being repackaged or a SE was coming out.

I actually sort of hope they're not repressing titles because they're planning on doing full season sets at some point in the near future. Hopefully at a reduced price (I know, I know... ).

That all of the Tom Baker titles are still in print would seem to put the kibosh on that theory, though. But it does seem weird that about one third of Peter Davison's run is now OOP.

It's also strange that some very prominent stories are now out of print like Invasion (the first with animated restorations), War Games (Troughton's final story), Planet of the Spiders (Pertwee's final story), Earthshock, and Curse of Fenric (fan favorite) are unavailable. Some of the titles, like Gunfighters, Terror of the Autons, Frontios, and Planet of the Spiders are also fairly recent releases that went OOP less than two years after release.
Old 12-14-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate to stir up anything, but it makes me wonder about that rumor of a massive find of episodes - not just lost ones, but better quality versions of ones they did have already....
Old 12-14-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think though that most of these are NOT OOP in England R2's so what's the reasoning behind that? Another BBC mystery...
Old 12-14-13, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I hate to stir up anything, but it makes me wonder about that rumor of a massive find of episodes - not just lost ones, but better quality versions of ones they did have already....
I don't think that would have anything to do with it since a number of the OOPs are from the Peter Davison/Colin Baker/Sylvester McCoy era. All of those were produced in the 1980s so there are no better copies to recover; the BBC began archiving all Doctor Who episodes around 1978.

Some of the Pertwee episodes from the early 70s were wiped, but copies of all of them exist. It is possible for better copies of some of those to show up.

Of the three Pertwee DVDs that are out of print (Terror of the Autons, The Time Monster, and Planet of the Spiders), I believe only Terror of the Autons might have a better copy out there somewhere. The 'missing' Pertwee episodes have never been the subject of an active search since copies of all of them exist even if they're of inferior quality or black and white.
Old 12-14-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
I think though that most of these are NOT OOP in England R2's so what's the reasoning behind that? Another BBC mystery...
It's unknown.

Only "The Two Doctors" has an actual reason for being pulled from circulation, which is the inclusion of the Jimmy Savile segment in the bonus features. Savile was the host of children's program who, after his death, was revealed to have been a child molester.
Old 12-15-13, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

...and the latest rumors on the recovery of missing episodes:

The Power of the Daleks has received a private screening for select individuals. It was not a screening for anyone’s pleasure (though we’re sure it was very enjoyable) or as a reward for “towing the line” these things are standard practice. The Underwater Menace Episode 2 famously leaked from such a screening.

Missing Believed Wiped will be a showcase for Phil Morris’ other finds and a wealth of information will be made known. There is the possibility that Marco Polo may be a “centre piece” attraction but it isn’t likely. It would overshadow all of the other finds at MBW, of which there are some brilliant recoveries, also sitting at what will be the height of promotion for The Time of the Doctor. And yes, the three missing episodes of Dads Army have been found.

Eddie at Outpost Skaro has said The Wheel in Space has been found and this ties to rumours that have been around for months now about the serial being recovered, either three episodes in Jos or in it’s entirety. Given it was also sold to BPTV in Nigeria it being recovered at this time would be no surprise, the paper-trail from Jos likely leading right to it and there were some exact claims about its existence at customs. Wendy Padbury has been hinting for some time at its recovery if some convention accounts are to be believed.

Some rumours of found episodes is deliberate disinformation originating from official sources, there is a very good reason for this. Unfortunately, we don’t know what is wheat and what is chaff. Equally do not underestimate one source attempting to discredit another with “true” claims that work against other claims for personal reasons.

This one isn’t a rumour, it actually happened (YouTube is your friend). At the eleventh Doctor event at the BFI Mark Gatiss confirmed the rumour that the production team knew of the Web of Fear recovery prior to the reintroduction of the Great Intelligence in the 2012 Christmas Special The Snowmen. This places it’s recovery firmly into the summer of 2012 as this website has speculated for some time.

Some very old rumours that were killed many years ago might just be proven true.. And we’re not talking about William Hartnell having Feast of Steven.

The Tenth Planet 4 has not yet been recovered but Fury From The Deep has.
http://doctorwhoarchive.com/2013/12/...rs-and-gossip/

Interesting... if Fury from the Deep and Wheel in Space have been recovered, that will give us almost complete fifth and sixth seasons. (It would leave only 5/6 of Abominable Snowmen, 1/6 of Web of Fear, and 5/6 of Space Pirates missing from the archives in addition to the 4 missing eps from Ice Warriors and Invasion, which were restored with animation.)

And it's still weird that, after all of these years, not a single episode of Marco Polo has turned up, considering there were more copies of it made than any other story or that era.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-15-13 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-15-13, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You missed one bit in your quote:
As ever all rumours come from a variety of sources and may be true, true in part or completely false, they should not be repeated as fact nor taken as anything other than the rumours they are until there is confirmation from official sources.

After all the excitement and hopes before the 50th that gave us Web and Enemy I now choose to sit back and wait. Too many contrary info on sites and downright aggressivity on GB makes it less fun to follow these speculations
Old 12-15-13, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, we should all take what Josh posted with a huge grain of salt.
Old 12-15-13, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the show is probably more popular in the UK and a better-seller. Also, the UK arm of the BBC has let it known (in the past) that unlike the days of the VHS range, that they were not going to let individual titles go OOP.

No idea why the US office has allowed several stories to go OOP, but unless you guys are obsessing about the spine artwork looking the same (or don't have a region free player), have any of you thought about buying the much less-expensive R2 versions?

Even dropping $50 for a region-free DVD player (they can be had cheaper than that used) is less expensive than paying "collector" prices for these individual stories.

I sold what few R1 titles I had years ago and made the switch to R2 primarily for economic reasons: the R2 titles drop in price quicker and by larger amounts, and the larger amount of multi-story boxsets makes those individual stories cheaper, too. Also, I later got a multi-system TV that allowed me to take advantage of the quality increase of viewing then original PAL format picture (versus the NTSC conversion for Region 1).

Even before stuff started going OOP in Region 1, it has always] been much less expensive to collect the whole Doctor Who range by buying the UK releases instead of the US ones.
Old 12-15-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

have any of you thought about buying the much less-expensive R2 versions?
I have a multiregion player but I find that since I started my DW collection in R1's I kept it up. I'm fine as I bought everything as it came out more or less so I don't need any OOP titles. I even sold my regular ones to profit when they released Special Editions. Recently my first release Key to Time set went for a cheapish 120$ and the same day I bought the SE that was on sale for a few hours (lightning deal they call it) on Amazon for 37$! Completely by a stroke of incredible luck I happened to go check about reordering it when that sale was on!
I'm only missing Two Doctors which again I have recently sold for a shitload of money, allowing me to buy three recent releases. I know it will turn up again sometime so no hurry there.
Also I find that with R1 DVDs, I can play them on the family's computers or other tv systems (upstairs or downstairs) plus I can lend them to friends.
But yes R2's are a much better quality and investment if little playability details are not an issue. Plus you could get the Davros set with the audios and all!!!
Old 12-16-13, 09:52 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Mike's Comics has one copy left of Planet of Spiders for 25$. Considering, that might be a good deal...

I ordered The Avengers - Emma Peel Megaset from Barnes & Nobles a week ago and they said my order is scheduled to ship on december 31st! It's the first time I ordered from them so is that delay usual or its because I'm in Montréal? Or is there something fishy (not in stock, etc).
Also can I add something to this order (I'm thinking Ice Warriors) or it would count as an extra order with extra shipping?
Can anyone who has done business with them lmk. Thanks.
I've also ordered the Avengers set from B&N to replace the huge old A&E set that I have, and it's backordered at the moment so that is probably why you have to wait. I included the last classic Who dvd I needed with my order, and it won't be here until the beginning of the year because of it.

And I've ordered from Mike's Comics before, they are fast and reliable.
Old 12-16-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've ordered from Mike's Comics as well. Great online shop and very reliable.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.