Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 10-13-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Along with The Crusade, The Underwater Menace and The Moonbase are also only missing two out of four episodes.

I have to wonder if these recent finds will make it less likely we get animated reconstructions of episodes.

And, not to be conspiracy-minded, but were Enemy of the World and Web of Fear the only episodes recovered? Can we expect more announcements in the future? EotW and Wof were frequently brought up as recovered episodes, and there were a few more that were mentioned along with them in the rumors...
Old 10-13-13, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Along with The Crusade, The Underwater Menace and The Moonbase are also only missing two out of four episodes.
Yes. I was taking by your post that you were referring to the two newly-discovered stories, not those.

And, not to be conspiracy-minded, but were Enemy of the World and Web of Fear the only episodes recovered? Can we expect more announcements in the future?
As far as anyone knows, but, if you read the Steve Roberts quote I posted a few posts above this, he mentions "remaining hopeful" of further recoveries, but along with that, no one has seen anything to suggest anything else has been recovered yet.

Phil Morris had also sent a video message to the press conference, saying in it that he was sorry he couldn't be there in person, but his "work must continue", suggesting that he's still looking into things for the rest of us.

So, let's all be patient and hope that 2014 proves to be as fruitful as this year has been!

Also, if anyone at the BBC has any reason to hope for any more episodes of Moonbase, Underwater Menace or The Crusades being recovered, then I personally hope they'll wait before pulling the trigger on animations. I'd much rather wait a little while longer to see if any of these can get completed with the "real" episodes before animating them all. I'm sure many of us wouldn't want to feel like we needed to buy them twice if patience would have enabled us a single definitive release!
Old 10-13-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's magnificent what Phillip Morris has done. Up until now, we've just believed the BBC when they told us that "we've look around the world" and TV stations have told us there's none left. We now know that is BS. They probably didn't look hard enough, or noone really bothered looking..... until Phillip Morris personally travelled to Africa and scoured every nook and cranny of every station. And look what we have now. Amazing! This suggests that if someone actually took the time and effort (and $$$) to do a real proper, meticulous search, you CAN come up with more episodes. And this also leads me to believe that there are more yet to be revealed. Before this week, noone believed these could be found because we were told someone already looked..... well we now know that people just didn't look hard enough.
Old 10-14-13, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Autotelik
I think it's magnificent what Phillip Morris has done. Up until now, we've just believed the BBC when they told us that "we've look around the world" and TV stations have told us there's none left. We now know that is BS. They probably didn't look hard enough, or noone really bothered looking..... until Phillip Morris personally travelled to Africa and scoured every nook and cranny of every station. And look what we have now. Amazing! This suggests that if someone actually took the time and effort (and $$$) to do a real proper, meticulous search, you CAN come up with more episodes. And this also leads me to believe that there are more yet to be revealed. Before this week, noone believed these could be found because we were told someone already looked..... well we now know that people just didn't look hard enough.
I think that, since 1978, only 36 episodes have been recovered including the nine in this latest haul. With 97 episodes still missing, it's not exactly a track record that inspires optimism, but we can hope if there are missing episodes still out there in the wild that Phillip Morris can sniff them out.
Old 10-14-13, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think that, since 1978, only 36 episodes have been recovered including the nine in this latest haul. With 97 episodes still missing, it's not exactly a track record that inspires optimism, but we can hope if there are missing episodes still out there in the wild that Phillip Morris can sniff them out.
The previous two (from Galaxy 4 and Underwater Menace) were found in England two years ago by a former employee of the BBC - a film collector - who had them in his collection and didn't even know they were a missing treasure. This could also be a source for surprises. For us fans of the classic series we think this search is a big topic and that everyone on the planet is on the lookout for lost episodes but I think if you put it in perspective the truth probably is a lot of people don't know about Doctor Who or have barely heard the name let alone know anything about missing stories. So I'm hopeful for further finds but I'm not losing sleep over it (except when rumours like the last one spring up!!!)
Old 10-18-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone buy those Troughton Itunes episodes? Just wondering how they are and how is the recon for WoF3?
I'm not equipped to watch downloads satisfactorily so I'll wait for the DVDs, but just curious to hear peoples reactions...

Last edited by rogerrobert69; 10-18-13 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-18-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 640 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Did anyone buy those Troughton Itunes episodes? Just wondering how they are and how is the recon for WoF3?
I'm not equipped to watch downloads satisfactorily so I'll wait for the DVDs, but just curious to hear peoples reactions...
I haven't seen it myself, but here's some reviews I dug up:

Both Serials
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-review...review-2359918

http://everygeekreviews.wordpress.co...f-fear-review/

http://stuartreviewsstuff.wordpress....inions-change/

Enemy Of The World

http://kotwg.blogspot.com/2013/10/th...ld-review.html

http://travelingthevortex.com/?p=4597

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-1-review.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00FRL72EE/

Web of Fear

http://kotwg.blogspot.com/2013/10/do...ar-review.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...episode-2.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00FRL73G6

There's really not that much about the 3rd episode of Web of Fear. The consensus is that it's serviceable.
Old 10-18-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I've downloaded both stories but haven't had time to watch them yet. Hoping to get to at least one of them over the weekend.
Old 10-25-13, 12:06 PM

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I watched Enemy of the World. It looked good on my 46" television, better than I expected it to look. But it's about the same as the other serials from that era.
Old 10-25-13, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched Enemy of the World. It looked good on my 46" television, better than I expected it to look. But it's about the same as the other serials from that era.
Does the script and story and production value (for small budget DW) in general hold up? Compared to other Troughton stories of the same era? I saw a reconstruction with stills a long time ago but I can't wait to have the real thing.
Old 10-28-13, 06:06 PM

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I thought it held up very well. Storywise it was good and moved fairly quickly. It didn't have the stretch in the middle that felt like padding like a lot of the Pertwee serials do. Budgetwise most of the money probably went to the helicopter/hovercraft stuff at the beginning of the serial, but I don't think that the rest of it suffered. It seemed on par with the other Troughton serials in that field. I have Web of Fear also, but I don't know when I will have the time to go through it yet. I will add that Troughton's dual preformance was great, and I'm glad that I was able to hear and see it.
Old 10-28-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 640 Likes on 441 Posts

AV Club is reviewing these for their Classic Who reviews. They just did Enemy of the World, and Web of Fear is being covered next week:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/enemy...-world,104385/
Old 10-29-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And here we go again........ a very reliable poster on GB posted on Outpost Skaro that almost ALL missing episodes have been found !!!!!!!!!! Includes entire seasons 1,2, 4. Almost all of 3,5,6. Some DMP back, probably more. That is insane, if true. This came from "puqui", who had very reliable info before news of Enemy and Web broke. Unless someone else is pretending to be him.....this could be absolutely unreal! There was some buzz recently about private collectors coming forth with episodes too, in combination with stuff found from Africa. It could be that some episodes were in private hands for years, and now that it looks like the BBC have found a stash in Africa, these private collectors have decided to finally cash in their find or risk losing any potential value when duplicates get returned (one reason why BBC won't announce the complete haul yet- to flush out the private copies).
Old 10-29-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Indeed, if all true, this changes everything we know about Dr Who for the last 40 yrs. An entire mythology rewritten. I used to fall asleep at night as a kid dreaming about these missing episodes. Which ones I'd most like to see etc. And now, a strong source saying they are almost all found. Unreal.
Old 10-29-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unreal.
Probably exactly just that! Lets wait and see. Again!
Old 10-29-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think if some random person posted about a recovery, it would be easy to dismiss it as a hopeless rumor. But the people sharing info today at OS have been spot on with the Enemy and Web finds and even how they woukd be released (itunes then dvd), press conf, DWM covers, and have good track records of being correct. Unless these people are now abusing the forum members' trust, then it really seems legit. And the amount of detail in which are recovered, which ones need more restoration work than others, how many prints etc.... it makes it easy to believe. More than one Power print, one episode of Abominable very hard to fix, and Marco Polo almost a certainty for a Dec/Jan announcement.

Guess we will know soon.
Old 10-30-13, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A lot of this sounds like a rehash of the "90 episodes" rumor that's been going around for months. Which, it turned out, there was at least some truth behind it.

I would love for that list you posted to be true. That would only leave Reign of Terror, Galaxy 4, and Mission to the Unknown/Daleks Master Plan still missing. Daleks Master Plan is a problematic one, since it wasn't sold in foreign markets and there is only maybe one known copy made, and the seventh episode, "The Feat of Steven"* was destroyed.

At this point in time, I think almost anything is possible. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

_____
*"The Feast of Steven" was part 7 of the 12 part DMP story. It was a Christmas Special that was a break in the main storyline, and as such, had no value to the BBC at the time.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 10-30-13 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-15-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know the R1 releases dates for

Enemy of the World and An Adventure in Space and Time? And next year's Web of Fear?
Old 11-15-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R1 releases for Enemy of the World and Web of Fear are scheduled for sometime early 2014. No dates set yet tho.

An Adventure in Time and Space was tentatively set to be included with The Day of the Doctor but it was removed for release at a later date. Apparently, the UK is still getting both in the same set.
Old 11-15-13, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see them...

Last edited by rogerrobert69; 11-15-13 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-18-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I'll just continue to post classic Who stuff and missing episodes here, and refer to the TV forum's 50th anniversary thread for anything new Who.

I know it's hard to keep track of the continued rumors on GB, because there is just so much fluff and padding there in the missing episodes thread, but I've been reading it every day (at least scanning through the hundreds of posts each day), and today there's something new again that could be worth considering.

Apparently, Doctor Who Archive just re-posted an article that originally appeared in June of this year, then removed (don't know why removed). It is a list of the rumored returned episodes (around 90, again) but WITH the country in which they were found. It correctly identified Nigeria as the source for Enemy and Web. Again, this list actually first appeared in June. The list was also not intended to be published by the person who wrote it (Jon Preddle, a researcher for DW broadcasts, and responsible for broadwcast.org), but was encoded somewhere on the web, and stumbled upon it by someone else.

http://doctorwhoarchive.com/2013/11/...st-analysed/3/

It's just hard to believe that no more have been found, because these rumors (the list back in June) accurately predicted Enemy and Web being returned from Nigeria. Of course, this could be a huge hoax, with only 2 truths (Enemy and Web from Nigeria) being surrounded by misinformation about the other episodes..... but I just don't think that's likely.

Also, what we used to know about which countries purchased which stories is not the complete picture now. Stories were passed around from country to country. A lot of the rumored finds come from Ghana and Hong Kong. The stuff in Ghana came from Singapore apparently (whoever searched the Singapore archives found a Ghana address, and that was where they found a bunch of Hartnell episodes).

Who knows if this is all true or not, but it is an incredibly interesting read.

And the stuff about DMP being back: recent rumors is that it is returned from individuals in the UK (not overseas) who held some random episodes all these years.
Old 11-18-13, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rich over at Bleeding Cool is pretty adamant that we'll be seeing more announcements before the end of the year. Marco Polo is pretty high on his list of returns.
Old 11-18-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And one poster on GB has repeatedly stated that Marco Polo has already been restored. Meanwhile, Steve Roberts keeps trying to refute that with "no it hasn't". We shall see, but if I was a betting man.......
Old 11-19-13, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's at least one error on the list... it says that "Web of Fear" was found in its entirety, but it was released with one episode missing.

If this was released in June, I wonder if it's what Rich Johnston saw that led him to report on ninety episodes being recovered. At any rate, it's quite apparent that the initials rumors weren't complete bullshit, and there was (and possibly still is) something going on.

Has there been an exhaustive search going on, painstakingly tracking down every known copy made of every missing episode?
Old 11-19-13, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been reading the GB thread as well. Its a bit redundant though. Some people say I know things but I can't tell you and others say you're just saying that to look important. Basically I decided to wait and see instead of getting my hopes up. I do wish some of this rumour is true though...

And the stuff about DMP being back: recent rumors is that it is returned from individuals in the UK (not overseas) who held some random episodes all these years.
I just can't believe the selfishness of some collectors. You know you have something unique and yet instead of sharing it you want to keep it for you until the money is good enough. Shame.
I remember a story for a while back where a japanese billionaire asked in his will to be buried with his favorite Rembrandt from his collection. It was refused as any Rembrandt is unique and a collective treasure of humanity. But just the thought of someone asking this makes me cringe. Selfishness will be the end of humanity I tells you!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.