Reload this Page >

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Old 11-22-20, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

I have only tried fishing once and nothing happened. No line or rod, just a marker to cast and not being able to cast. Not sure what the issue is. Do i have to buy a fishing rod?

I have had multiple blue screens with this now. Never puts me that far back when i restart, but just a pain. Up to level 201 now, and somethinf i do like in the game is how they have areas maintain their level. In Odyssey the whole world upgraded with you (a later update did allow areas to retain in their originak levels i believe). This makes it more fun as trying to take on areas that are above you is a real challenge, and sometimes nigh on impossible, whilst going back to weaker areas is just fun slaughtering everyone.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (11-22-20)
Old 11-22-20, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I have only tried fishing once and nothing happened. No line or rod, just a marker to cast and not being able to cast. Not sure what the issue is. Do i have to buy a fishing rod?

I have had multiple blue screens with this now. Never puts me that far back when i restart, but just a pain. Up to level 201 now, and somethinf i do like in the game is how they have areas maintain their level. In Odyssey the whole world upgraded with you (a later update did allow areas to retain in their originak levels i believe). This makes it more fun as trying to take on areas that are above you is a real challenge, and sometimes nigh on impossible, whilst going back to weaker areas is just fun slaughtering everyone.

I assume you did build the Fishing Hut....should be a "Fish Icon" in your pull up wheel at the 5 o'clock mark....

I wish the Crew Members had stats like in Odyssey....not only do they not have any but even when you change gear on your Lieutenant you can't see or tell if they are getting better. Be better to actually change Your Crew based on Weapon and Stats....
Old 11-22-20, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
I assume you did build the Fishing Hut....should be a "Fish Icon" in your pull up wheel at the 5 o'clock mark....

I wish the Crew Members had stats like in Odyssey....not only do they not have any but even when you change gear on your Lieutenant you can't see or tell if they are getting better. Be better to actually change Your Crew based on Weapon and Stats....
Yeah i built the hut (my village is level 5 and i have built everything i think... so far at least). And i have seen the fishing on the wheel, but when i select it no fishing rod or line appears. The wheel is problematic though i have noticed. The number of times i select the torch it takes like three times befoee it appears. Annoying.

Update: well fishing works now. Just glitchy it seems. Surprise surprise.

I just read on the AC Origins thread someone complaining about the chariot racing, and i agree. I HATED that. Could have been great, but it was horribly done. But i got me thinking about the mini games in this as well. I dont think there is one i like. Hate the stone piling, hate the drinking (no matter how far ahead i am they always come back and beat me. Every single one of these seems to be set on hard and i am just ignoring them now.), the dice game i find dull (a crappy version of Gwent from the Witcher), chasing the notes continues to be shit and fishing ia boring. If they are going to include mini games at least make them new to the series and fun. Hell, this game is about vikings. Why not have the axe throwing at maidens braids. Running on ship oars. Shit like that which is known in Viking lore.

Last edited by james2025a; 11-22-20 at 03:33 PM.
K&AJones (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i haven't messed with the drinking Game but played a lot of the Dice One...out of about 15-16 tries yesterday I managed three wins.....I almost have the pattern down but it's really stacked against you off the bat...in the 1st Phase....Resolution....He always gets more credits so right away he has a stack of five...next round or two he always gets some "Hands" that takes what little you have away....by the 4th-5th Roll he already has a stack of 10-12 and get 2-3 "Hands" and he uses a 12- Thor Strike that basically wipes a good portion of Stones while taking credits.

He always seemed to have a Perfect Roll at the right time....I'd have like Five Arrows or Five Axes and his final roll ... amazingly he get the right Defense and then have enough Credit to use a God Move that replenished his Stones....and something I saw for a fact; he was allowed to use God Moves First without having enough credits allowed to take mine and then add it to the move.....he's also allowed the First Moves at the end so if you have 2-5 stones left and he's got like 6-8 Credits, it's over since he uses Thor's Strike no matter if you put up all Defense Dice...

I did like the Chariot Races but almost all the time it felt like all the AI was 1-2 Levels above you on everything...and right on cue if I had the lead in the final lap, always 1-2 kicked their "Turbo" in or one come out of no-where and slam me....
Old 11-23-20, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not have the axe throwing at maidens braids. Running on ship oars. Shit like that which is known in Viking lore.
Now THAT would make a future hoped-for patch even more appealing...
Old 11-23-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Iím finally starting to fall into my familiar AC rhythm, after 24 hours played, and Iím really enjoying myself now.

That being said, my list of grievances with this game is long.

Stealth feels like a less viable option in large outposts than in previous AC games, thanks in large part to how they nerfed the bird. What a boneheaded move that was.

The skill tree is a mess. Itís too much.

Traversal in general feels too slow.

Underwater environments are dark and murky and ugly and uninteresting. The opposite of Odyssey and Origins.

Abilities are fun and look neat, but I find that I donít ever actually need to use them. I have to remind myself theyíre there.
Old 11-24-20, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Up to arounf level 223. By this stage
Old 11-24-20, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Up to around level 223 and finally bought my last main skill from the skill tree. Just gotta to use my skill points to grab the small upgrades on the tree now. By this stage the one thing thats really been made clear is how poor the storyline actually is for this game. Badly written, horribly cliched and predictable.

I agree about underwater environments being dull and dark. A lof of this game is super dark and i have never known to have to use the torch as much. BTW, why cant they have the character automatically light a torch in dark areas like he did in prrvious games. Hate having to manually do this every time (partially because the wheel is so shitty and unresponsive).
Old 11-24-20, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just hit only 103 yesterday...I've been taking my time and looking around finishing the Lunden Area last night. I do have to say, they have like in other games really get small details and the overall look down. Incorporating ancient Rome into the current time period really has been a sight...

I agree with the Stealth and Assassination's Part is not as fluid and good as previous AC Games....but it makes it up with combat and the Duel Weld. I started mixing up various weapons and it adds more to the combat and when you figure you're a Viking, well that sort of fits the bill more than being a Viking Silent Assassin...

I've picked up several pieces of gear; Armor and Weapons but still no-where near the Free Set I got thru Amazon Prime Gaming. I was getting some pretty good stuff in Origins and Odyssey but here...it seems like you're forced to spend resources on upgrading and all. I've avoided tips and articles on Best Armor or Best Weapons but might have to check in to it. I got the Map Guy's Hut Built and went to two zones but nothing really special...everything has been "White or Bronze"....
Old 11-25-20, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 201 Posts

One thing I've had happen twice now which I don't remember happening in the previous games. I find a camp, take the time to slowly go through and assassinate everyone, only to find out that I can't get into the longhouse. Then I go back to the story and it turns out raiding that camp is part of the story. So I then have to kill everyone again (this time with my raid party) since they all respawned. In GoT, if you approached a camp that was story related you would get pelted by random arrows so you couldn't get in. I don't recall what Odyssey/Origins did, if anything.

I've learned to look for it now but earlier on I was getting destroyed by some camps. Then I realized I had stumbled into a level 200+ area at level 25ish. Another thing I don't recall ever happening in the other games.
Old 11-25-20, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

This freaked out the Twitterverse this morning...

John Carpenter is a gamer and plays Assassin's Creed games.... is that so hard to believe?
Old 11-25-20, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
This freaked out the Twitterverse this morning...

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorMaster/...270749696?s=20

John Carpenter is a gamer and plays Assassin's Creed games.... is that so hard to believe?
Yes. Yes it is extremely hard to believe. "A return to excellence"?? As in, Odyssey was bad, so now we are back in the excellence realm? Maybe it's just a matter of preference, but I greatly dislike Valhalla thus far and I have played almost every AC since the very first one. I am seriously having way more fun getting back into Origins, a 2017 game.

Old 11-25-20, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It does seem peculiar he would post that when the previous two games have received far more praise, are more massive, and more beautifully designed. Maybe he's a huge fan of Viking/Nordic times?
Old 11-25-20, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not surprising come from Carpenter. He will probably be getting a pay off some how for the mention. Look at his movies over the last 20 years, generally terrible, and he has spent way more time taking big checks and a producer credit for the right to peoplw make shitty remakes of his movies. Guys more interested in money now than actually producing something decent. And if he had any taste in video games he would not be saying this.

Playing again today the one of the few positives in this game is that there is certainly more variety in side quests. Not huge in difference, but enough to give them more longevity than previous games.
Old 11-26-20, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
One thing I've had happen twice now which I don't remember happening in the previous games. I find a camp, take the time to slowly go through and assassinate everyone, only to find out that I can't get into the longhouse. Then I go back to the story and it turns out raiding that camp is part of the story. So I then have to kill everyone again (this time with my raid party) since they all respawned. In GoT, if you approached a camp that was story related you would get pelted by random arrows so you couldn't get in. I don't recall what Odyssey/Origins did, if anything.

I've learned to look for it now but earlier on I was getting destroyed by some camps. Then I realized I had stumbled into a level 200+ area at level 25ish. Another thing I don't recall ever happening in the other games.
I watched a YouTube video explaining that there's no need to explore areas because the main game week most likely take you there anyhow. So odd for an AC game.
Old 11-26-20, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 97 Likes on 48 Posts

I guess I continue to be the voice of dissent here. 25 hours in and Iím enjoying it as much as Odyssey so far. Right now, Iíd say the pair of them are the high water mark for the franchise so far.
Old 11-27-20, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New update available, 1.04. Lets see if it helps eliminate blue screens.
K&AJones (11-29-20)
Old 11-29-20, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New update available, 1.04. Lets see if it helps eliminate blue screens.
...well if anything still didn't fix the Unable-To-Use-Pet-Wolf in the abilities which I'm really disappointed...

I haven't got another "Blue Screen" since that I was getting toward the tail-end of a Alliance Mission. I still get some serious audio stutter sometimes when I fast travel. Parkour I still get caught, doesn't go where I want and just not as smooth as Origins and Odyssey. And there's been a lot of times I have an enemy right there below me and cannot Assassinate them.

Is there a way to actually see and visualize any Tattoos, Building Decorations or Ship Add-Ons...BEFORE...you buy? I don't have either Hut Built in the settlement but is that the only way to see them?

Other than that it's been ok and better in some areas...if anything the Alliance Story is getting more intriguing...I'm on my 5th counting Vinland. That part has had more NPC involvement than Odyssey and origins and to me has been good and entertaining.

However...The Zealots are a pain. I tried one the other day luring him to my Boat and Crew...he literally was right next to the boat and almost followed me all around it constantly throwing spears. We barely made a dent in him and it was hilarious to see him walking around with 16 arrows sticking out of him. He was a Level 90 and I was Level 120 and I might as well been Level 60. I threw and shot everything from Poison to Fire and his health barely went down....
Old 11-29-20, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I am just now starting this game but have to say that I too am disappointed in the changes. The stamina bar SUCKS. It feels like you are being penalized for dodging attacks which is so stupid. Who wanted that? Having to forage for berries to replenish my health is dumb beyond belief. And you raid villages but canít even take the food and supplies you see scattered around after the battle? And yes, the bird is shockingly useless now.

What really annoys me is that all this could have been avoided. The game is well acted and looks great and is a fun and interesting setting. None of these changes for the worse had to be there. Itís all so frustrating and just disappointing.
Old 11-29-20, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 192 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I am just now starting this game but have to say that I too am disappointed in the changes. The stamina bar SUCKS. It feels like you are being penalized for dodging attacks which is so stupid. Who wanted that? Having to forage for berries to replenish my health is dumb beyond belief. And you raid villages but canít even take the food and supplies you see scattered around after the battle? And yes, the bird is shockingly useless now.

What really annoys me is that all this could have been avoided. The game is well acted and looks great and is a fun and interesting setting. None of these changes for the worse had to be there. Itís all so frustrating and just disappointing.
I can loot a village after a raid just fine.
As far as rations, you can buy (to use later) or loot rations or hunt for them.
The auto loot function means you get free ration replenishment in combat even.

I'm only 5 hours in, and really the only negative things I can think of is the stamina bar taking hits for dodging, and not being able to tag things with the bird.
Old 11-30-20, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Stamina Bar.....I believe a majority don't like it or would like to see the penalty using dodge be less which I'd like to see. When you do 1-2 quick doges the best you can do is come back with some light hits and maybe get one heavy in. And hope the enemy doesn't come at you right away. I'm not sure exactly how all your gear weight is factored in but I'm sure somehow it has a bearing on replenishing and maybe re-gen. In fighting the Zealots they're relentless and their stamina and health regens faster....I've tried twice and no luck. Bosses have been a mixed bag....one was constant at attack while another I was able to dodge, hit and walk slowly around. There's spots in your skills to improve Health but nothing for Stamina. There is the the Wolf, Raven and Bear spots that give you several bumps including less weight, evasion and all....

Story has got more deeper and compelling and better than other previous AC games...almost the gaming version of Game of Thrones but not as many characters. My last two Alliances have been lets say...somewhat surprising and shocking....like reading a chapter and not putting it down until the end.

Old 11-30-20, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 97 Likes on 48 Posts

I donít understand the stamina complaints, though I am still relatively early in the story (working on my second alliance and just finished the first Asgard section). It regenerates so quickly with light attacks that I typically only need to dodge once or twice before attacking and refilling the bar. I also donít get the complaints about rations, as I pretty much always have them maxed without even thinking about it. I do understand the complaints about the raven, but the Odinís sense seems stepped up to counter it, as I pick up enemies from quite a ways away and they remain highlighted for as long as I need them to be.

To me, the game really shines in its world and story. In previous games in the series, as good as some of them were, exploring every spot on the map felt like going through a checklist. So far, Iíve enjoyed the side activities & quests more than any other AC game. I really like the new approach to the skill tree, as it feels far more flexible and customizable. I also appreciate not getting hundreds of pieces of gear that I have to individually break down or sell. Again, Iím not as far as a lot of you, but think this will end up being either my favorite game in the series or tied with Odyssey.
Old 11-30-20, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've become addicted to the fishing.

I also have no complaints about stamina. Most fighting can be done by parrying until you can "stun" attack. You only run out of stamina if you're swinging away and getting blocked or missing.
Old 11-30-20, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts

The game is much better than when I started. I’m actually enjoying it more than Odyssey. But I don’t know why my horse won’t jump off small cliffs
Old 11-30-20, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
...well if anything still didn't fix the Unable-To-Use-Pet-Wolf in the abilities which I'm really disappointed...

I haven't got another "Blue Screen" since that I was getting toward the tail-end of a Alliance Mission. I still get some serious audio stutter sometimes when I fast travel. Parkour I still get caught, doesn't go where I want and just not as smooth as Origins and Odyssey. And there's been a lot of times I have an enemy right there below me and cannot Assassinate them.

Is there a way to actually see and visualize any Tattoos, Building Decorations or Ship Add-Ons...BEFORE...you buy? I don't have either Hut Built in the settlement but is that the only way to see them?

Other than that it's been ok and better in some areas...if anything the Alliance Story is getting more intriguing...I'm on my 5th counting Vinland. That part has had more NPC involvement than Odyssey and origins and to me has been good and entertaining.

However...The Zealots are a pain. I tried one the other day luring him to my Boat and Crew...he literally was right next to the boat and almost followed me all around it constantly throwing spears. We barely made a dent in him and it was hilarious to see him walking around with 16 arrows sticking out of him. He was a Level 90 and I was Level 120 and I might as well been Level 60. I threw and shot everything from Poison to Fire and his health barely went down....
Missile reversal is your friend.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.