Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Old 11-30-20, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
The game is much better than when I started. Iím actually enjoying it more than Odyssey. But I donít know why my horse wonít jump off small cliffs
Why is that exactly (the enjoyment, not the horse thing)? I need motivation to try get back into this...
Old 12-01-20, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Been continuing on and up to level 367. I thought the max level would have been less than that, but looking at how many skills i have left to buy on the skill tree its looking like 400 is the cap. Not surprising as the Polar Bear in Jotenheim was level 400.

Had one blue screen since the update, but certainly not as bad as before. Dont see a great deal of change in the update. Riding horses in this game is no fun. Sometimes they find it hard to jump fences, they never want to jump off from a higher spot and they go from a sprint to a trot way too often. Even going up a slow incline the horse ages 50 years in his rate of speed. Annoying.

I have cleared a good part of the map of treasure and side quests. Leaving the stupid stones and flying notes to the end as they both suck. Reckon within the next 7-10 days will jave everything wrapped up. Still unsure if i will bother with the season pass.

Just wondering, what weapons are people using? Up until the last week i was using a one handed axe and shield or one handed axe and a two handed axe. Last week i decided to change it up and went with two spears and boy is it a change in fighting. The distance you have and the speed and damage that gets done is phenomenal. Its almost too overpowered, and i havnt even max leveled them both yet. I would vmcertainly recommend giving them a try. I have also used the skill where after a heavy attack and they defend a cloud of poison is created. This really helps as well as just depletes their energy without having to touch them. I have to admit that the fighting is as enjoyable as it was in Odyssey and thats its saving grace.
Old 12-01-20, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Missile reversal is your friend.

I saw that at the very bottom when the skill opened up and it's not that far but still a good 8-10 points away. I figured as much since in the mall clip you catch a spear and throw it back which is exactly what those Zealots have and damage the heck out of you...

James - Just wondering, what weapons are people using? Up until the last week i was using a one handed axe and shield or one handed axe and a two handed axe
I've mixed it up just to see using Dual Axes, Axe & hammer, Light Shield w/Axe, Spear, Anvil w/Light Shield, 2HD Dane Axe and now a Heavy Shield w/Axe.....I see the Dual Heavy Ability to the far right and it's about 8-10 points away....but if I had to pick one it would be the 2HD Dane Axe for it's heavy that breaks shields and sends enemies flying and range. The Spear actually surprised me and with the forward thrust has the best range and a good sweeping motion. Dual Axes are fun for the frenzy and with Hammer to just pummel to death though you have shorter range and in tight areas and a mob can be not so good...the animation of the Dane 2HD Finisher is awesome as is the Spear....for Bow I found The Hunter best to use; not that much les in damage than Predator but has double the speed. It's like comparing the Short and Long Bows in Ghost of Tsushima....
Old 12-01-20, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

First Zealot I ran across was when I was around level 30, they were 90. I just climbed a pole nearby and took them out with arrows. I haven't tried to fight a 2nd but I'm now equal level with them.
Old 12-01-20, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The game is much better than when I started. Iím actually enjoying it more than Odyssey. But I donít know why my horse wonít jump off small cliffs
I think you need to "train" him
Old 12-01-20, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
That helps a ton. As soon as I came across a stable and saw that option, I paid to upgrade everything available. Makes traversing the map a completely different experience.
Old 12-01-20, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably a dumb question but regarding upgrading your weapons... is the intent to find something you like and use your Blacksmith to improve the weapon into perpetuity? You can't sell weapons, so I assume if I find an axe or spear I like, I can keep upgrading it to "legendary" or similar levels, right? Whereas in Odyssey, you find a Legendary weapon and that was the one to keep upgrading.
Old 12-01-20, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably a dumb question but regarding upgrading your weapons... is the intent to find something you like and use your Blacksmith to improve the weapon into perpetuity? You can't sell weapons, so I assume if I find an axe or spear I like, I can keep upgrading it to "legendary" or similar levels, right? Whereas in Odyssey, you find a Legendary weapon and that was the one to keep upgrading.
Yeah, that seems to be the case here. Weapons are unique and you level what you like to use. I'm boring; I'm still using the axe you start with, leveled up as far as I can take it so far.
Old 12-01-20, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Heís maxed out. Iím just used to my IDGAF horse from odyssey swan diving off cliffs.
Old 12-03-20, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,112 Likes on 674 Posts

Free Carolingian Armor pack with Amazon Prime

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/a...us=noLoginData
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (12-03-20)
Old 12-03-20, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Free Carolingian Armor pack with Amazon Prime

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/a...us=noLoginData
That's what I've been using and if it weren't for it I'd probably died far more often thanks to be Legendary/Gold off the bat with (3) Rune Spots. I actually have three sets in my loadout all covering Wolf, Bear and Raven almost equally.
Old 12-03-20, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So are most people playing as male or female Eivor? Since it was a novel approach, I selected the option for the game to choose based on context, but itís kept me as female for the first ~30 hours.
Old 12-03-20, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
So are most people playing as male or female Eivor? Since it was a novel approach, I selected the option for the game to choose based on context, but itís kept me as female for the first ~30 hours.
How does that option work? I didn't notice it when I started.

Male for me. I played as the female character in Odyssey.
Old 12-03-20, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

The reviews that I watched said they liked the voice acting of the male character better than the female.
Old 12-03-20, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
How does that option work? I didn't notice it when I started.
Iím still waiting to see what it does. So far, itís indistinguishable from playing as female. I assumed/hoped that since they included an option for the game to switch back and forth, it would play into the narrative.

As for the voice acting, I had also heard that the male option was better, but I think the female one is great so far.
Old 12-03-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I play as a male lead in this game but was more than pleased playing as Kassandra in Odyssey.
Old 12-03-20, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
The reviews that I watched said they liked the voice acting of the male character better than the female.
I've read the opposite.
Listening a bit to both, I think it's kind of a draw, whereas in Odyssey, the female voice-actor was far superior to the male actor.
Old 12-03-20, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well i hit the level 400 cap and it then opens up the Master Skills. One for each group in the tree. When you gain skills from this point on you only get one point. Its the same as what happened in the last game. I am up to 9 skill points for each.

Not sure how much of the game i have completed, but the map now looks pretty empty compared to at the start. Completed Asgard (Only had the Finar fight), finished Norwary, got a few things in Vinland and then most of England is those stupid flying notes and the stupid stone games. I did see my game time this afternoon and put in 121 hours so far. Probably hit 150 to get the platinum.
K&AJones (12-03-20)
Old 12-03-20, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just stumbled across one of those cursed areas you can "fix". This one wasn't just an item to destroy though, a level 340 person spawned. My lvl90 Viking ass ran like the wind.
K&AJones (12-03-20)
Old 12-05-20, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally finished the main game and all main side quests. Picked up Mjlonir and Excalibur. Finished off the level 400 Legendary Polar Bear in Jottenheim. Working my way through all the mystery quests (maybe 20 left to do) and working my way through beating all the dice players. I have collected all treasure on the map, all mushroom challenges and all Prayer Stones. Main thing i have left are the floating paper challenges and the stone balancing. And i loathe both of those.

Still getting blue screens and had 4 yesterday. My mastery skills are now up to Level 15 on each of the tiers. Strange thing happened yesterday once i hit level 13 on the mastery. My character seemed to have ultimate stealth abilities as no enemy would ever see me and i could literally walk up and stealth kill anyone. Reloading the game today and its back to normal, but for a while it was really a zero challenge. At this level though literally nothing presents a challenge. Using the two spears kills any enemy within seconds. It just destroys.
K&AJones (12-06-20)
Old 12-06-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Congrads James...well done....

I too got at least one Blue Screen...this time in the middle of a cut scene with Randvi....involved letting her know something about Sigurd.....no lag, freeze...just went to Blue Screen.

I was stuck with a certain Kidnaped Miossion yesterday that really was ticking me off...in the Cent Alliance mission....kept walking up to the person and nothing was happening...so thinking instead of sneaking in and grabbing him spent the next 20 minutes clearing out the area which included some big heavy armored leaders...still nothing....so in order not to kill him I switched to the Knife, hit one time and then got the "Tie Up and Carry"...that was really stupid.....

I will say the story especially the last two Alliances have had some major twists....the Story and Side parts of Ghost of Tsushima was done almost perfectly with being an emotional roller coaster....and I can start to see some similarities in Valhalla.

I just got the Missile Return so haven't tested it....still have a collection of wearing 'Odds & Ends" Variant Armor...I just started getting some of the Brigandine Armor which to me sounds like be a winner.....but I have my points almost equally spread with the Bear, Raven and Wolf Buffs.

I decided to go back and play with the Dual Axes upgrading them to "Silver"....the bonus having two of the same is obvious and has helped though I do want to grab the...."Dual Heavy Weapon"...and just see how that works....I do have two good spears.

I ran into one of..."The Daughters Lairs"...and said what the heck, give a go at Level 145....bad mistake.....same with some Legendary Wolf who bit thru my Heavy Shield like it was paper. I figure this is where the Dual Heavy Ability might come in handy....

The Horse Skills still lag behind a lot of other games including past AC ones....just trying to walk normally feels off like you're always trying to walk fast....The On & Off & On Again Cape and Hood is really annoying....and in some instances even with an enemy below me I cannot assassinate yet I can when he's not in plain sight and can jump over a roof....and yesterday had an enemy throwing spears hitting me from the other side of a house, on the ground who no-way could see me but every where I went it was dead on and I couldn't hit.
Old 12-06-20, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The sisters were one of the more challenging aspects of the game. First one i took on when i was still under level 100 and got my ass kicked. Did all three of them after raising my levels significantly.

I am appreciating the variety in missions dotted around tbe landscape. The previous games have basically had 3 mission types divided into all, but this one every missions feels unique. They need to stick with this for the future as its been long over due.

There have been a few treasures off the map that i got frustrated with as they were underground and it was just finding the entrance. Very last one i collected to complete the map was in Jorvik and took me a while to find the gap in a small cliff face to enter in.

Its funny, but growing up in northern england i am very familiar with a lot of these places. Seeing that section of the map look more like Greenland makes me laugh. The game versions of Scarborough and Doncaster are definite improvements. I do love York and i visit it every time i head home. The history and buildings within that city are fantastic.

Last edited by james2025a; 12-06-20 at 09:45 AM.
K&AJones (12-06-20)
Old 12-06-20, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...I'll add one thing I hope and wish Ubisoft will do....which Sucker Punch did a masterful job with Ghost of Tsushima...they put in a co-op mode, Legends in the SP Game where you can play either a 2 Player or 4 Player Mode. It was a blast playing with another or 3 other "Samurais" slicing and dicing. There were some gaming articles that even highlighted it and said other Devs needed to follow this. They even came out with a Raid Version of assaulting a Fortress with four players that's a challenge...no reason why Ubisoft couldn't do this.

did you ever mess with the Small Knife and Dagger? I saw a article listing some of the best weapons and combos and they had high praise for the Small Knife/Dagger Duel Weld...with the right weighted armor and getting dodge down you were wrecking everyone. I tried the Star Anvil and I don't know....stat wise it's a single hand beast but I just couldn't seem to get the mechanics down.
Old 12-06-20, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Donít think I can overstate how much I dislike the ration/healing situation in this game.
Decker (12-07-20)
Old 12-07-20, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got two more "Blue Screens" yesterday and once again both in the middle of cut scenes. The last six have all been that way; in the middle of a cut scene with no visible issues, just stopped and get error....

Had issues a-galore with parkour yesterday....going down doesn't seem a problem but going up; Eivor has a mind of his own. If I want to go up he goes sideways and for the life of me he cannot jump into any opening as intended but instead goes to sides, above and below countless times.......it's just no-where near as smooth as in Origins and Odyssey....

Still seeing plenty of bizarre AI doings....finished up the Essex Alliance, walking toward a Treasure and it was like every 10 seconds enemies on Horseback were on the roads and in the fields...they went by me and even hit me once but never attacked. After I did a Assault the other day as I was leaving the Fort, I looked and saw at least 18 AI Soldiers just in a group standing at the dock not doing anything.....went in with a group of Monks and each time when they get in some start turning in circles.....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.