Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Some people would call no shared trophies a win.
Old 11-12-20, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Some people would call no shared trophies a win.
If you want to Platinum a gane you would have to restart it. Maybe not a big deal but it might be for some.
Old 11-12-20, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Combat seems repetitive. It's hard to track some items. Is the eagle not like the last game (where you could tag enemies and treasure?) and what is it used for? The Odin sense is kind of a joke. The boats are slow and clunky. Loading time still sucks.

I'm sure there's more....
Old 11-13-20, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Combat seems repetitive. It's hard to track some items. Is the eagle not like the last game (where you could tag enemies and treasure?) and what is it used for? The Odin sense is kind of a joke. The boats are slow and clunky. Loading time still sucks.

I'm sure there's more....
I'm liking this so far but not as much as Origins/Odyssey. The cold snowy mountainous setting is too familiar and is not as immediately engaging as ancient Egypt or Greece. I don't feel compelled to go exploring at all so far. What's to see, more mountains? But it looks really nice, and I've got it loaded on to an SSD on my PC, so load times have not been bad at all.

I've seen surprisingly little combat in my 4hrs, but it is a little more button mashy than I remember from the previous games. And finding items I've pinged is harder than it needs to be. That's been the case in the previous two games as well.

Old 11-13-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Ok, so i am about 20 hours in now and more or a rounded opinion. Positives and negatives.

The Positives
- Once getting to England the map really expands and its a nicely created landscape, if not as dynamic as from the last two games
- i do like the fact you dont have an endless amount of weapons, armor and treasure to collect. Still a lot to collect, but the sheer amount in Odyssey was rediculous.
- fight mechanics still wotk well, and stealth is good
- variety of things to do which should make it have more replay value

The Negatives
- Load times on a regular PS4 are long.
- hate how you have to change bows to use the predator arrows. Also doesnt feel quite on the nose using the predator arrows.
- missing the majesty of the previous games landscapes. Still nice, and feels more of a realistic landscape, but also feels very samey.
- lack of instuctionals. Had to refer to google a few times as the game has not explainer how to use certain skills, abilities of control layouts
- boats are a waste of time. I liked the naval aspects of the last game (and going all the way back to Black Flag), but this is simply a means of getting from a to b. And most times i ride or fast travel. Its pointless, and a shame.
-glitchy. Mentioned it before, but it needs a decent update.
- walls. Being an Englishman i am aware that there are a lot of walls around the countryside, but they went wild putting them everywhere in this game.
- map markers. Highlight one and its hard to locate at times when running around.

Last edited by james2025a; 11-13-20 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-13-20, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

I ended up cancelling my order for a copy of this for $39.99. I'm going to wait until it's $30 or less. I just started Origins and I'm going to work my through it and wait for all the bugs and glitches to get patched before I attempt to dive into Valhalla.
Old 11-13-20, 05:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Ok, so i am about 20 hours in now and more or a rounded opinion. Positives and negatives.

The Positives
- Once getting to England the map really expands and its a nicely created landscape, if not as dynamic as from the last two games
- i do like the fact you dont have an endless amount of weapons, armor and treasure to collect. Still a lot to collect, but the sheer amount in Odyssey was rediculous.
- fight mechanics still wotk well, and stealth is good
- variety of things to do which should make it have more replay value

The Negatives
- Load times on a regular PS4 are long.
- hate how you have to change bows to use the predator arrows. Also doesnt feel quite on the nose using the predator arrows.
- missing the majesty of the previous games landscapes. Still nice, and feels more of a realistic landscape, but also feels very samey.
- lack of instuctionals. Had to refer to google a few times as the game has not explainer how to use certain skills, abilities of control layouts
- boats are a waste of time. I liked the naval aspects of the last game (and going all the way back to Black Flag), but this is simply a means of getting from a to b. And most times i ride or fast travel. Its pointless, and a shame.
-glitchy. Mentioned it before, but it needs a decent update.
- walls. Being an Englishman i am aware that there are a lot of walls around the countryside, but they went wild putting them everywhere in this game.
sounds a little like RDR2's shortcomings compared to first. i was set to get, but will wait a long time as well. sure got plenty to keep busy...
Old 11-13-20, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I ended up cancelling my order for a copy of this for $39.99. I'm going to wait until it's $30 or less. I just started Origins and I'm going to work my through it and wait for all the bugs and glitches to get patched before I attempt to dive into Valhalla.
Smart move. There is a zero reason to buy Valhalla now if you've just started Origins.
Old 11-14-20, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?

I might be in the minority here...but to this day I think AC: Origins is one of the best all-around and looking games out there in capturing Egypt; it's lore and History. Odyssey is no slouch either but there was just something about Origins that stuck out....Central Character is spot on....and i spent a great deal of just Flying Around and looking at the sights....
Old 11-14-20, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thought of another negative. Not being able to craft arrpws on the go. Have to find or buy them. What a stupid fucking decision that was. I hope future updates change some of these things as they really shouldnt have messed with a winning formula.

And if you havnt played through Origins and Odyssey yet, certainly play those first. Then about a year from bow come to this one.
Old 11-14-20, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

So far I like Odyssey more than Origins. I loved the combat in Odyssey especially the Spartan kick. I also prefer Kassandra to Bayek at this point.
The following users liked this post:
Rob V (11-16-20)
Old 11-14-20, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I might be in the minority here...but to this day I think AC: Origins is one of the best all-around and looking games out there in capturing Egypt; it's lore and History. Odyssey is no slouch either but there was just something about Origins that stuck out....Central Character is spot on....and i spent a great deal of just Flying Around and looking at the sights....

Origins is a Top 5 All Time game for me. I just love it.
K&AJones (11-15-20)
Old 11-15-20, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked Odyssey more than Origins. But I really don’t remember much about Origins. Valhalla is getting better the more I play it.

As far as the games go, here’s how I rate them:

1. AC 2
2. AC Odyssey
3. AC Origins
4. AC Valhalla
5. AC Black Flag
6. AC Brotherhood
7. AC Revelations
8. AC Unity
9. AC 1
10. AC 3
11. AC Syndicate

I never finished either 3 or Syndicate.
Old 11-15-20, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm very close to losing my mind with this game right now. There is a sound, a cymbal/chime noise, that is clearly trying to indicate something to me, but I do not know what. There's a very subtle screen distortion that occurs when the sound is played. As far as I can tell, I am not being spotted by any enemies, I have no unspent skill points, I am not near a quest objective. It happens when I'm both when I'm playing as the character and scouting with the bird.

I just have no idea what this could be trying to tell me.

Old 11-15-20, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lopper
I'm very close to losing my mind with this game right now. There is a sound, a cymbal/chime noise, that is clearly trying to indicate something to me, but I do not know what. There's a very subtle screen distortion that occurs when the sound is played. As far as I can tell, I am not being spotted by any enemies, I have no unspent skill points, I am not near a quest objective. It happens when I'm both when I'm playing as the character and scouting with the bird.

I got my game late yesterday and got going....I'm still trying to figure the waypoint out as to me it's not as clear and directive as in Origins and Odyssey....however I thought I heard those as well....I wouldn't say as loud as when in Origins you got close to a Collector Item...but it was something in the background...

Yea...I saw some Bugs last night...part of a Rope I was walking on missing, my Raven phasing in and out a few times.....some sound hiccups....I always seem like I want to run or walk fast which is a bit annoying....the Boat Action is not as smooth as in Odyssey....,;
Old 11-15-20, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I'd rate Unity much higher now, after it got patched to high heaven (it was released in a really shitty state).
It has the best parkour/traversal of any AC game, by far.
Old 11-15-20, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Am I crazy or are there several Sync Points that you can not 'leap of faith' off of? Some seem to have water nearby, while others have nothing at all.
Old 11-15-20, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok...I've avoided Guides and all but I've got two questions....

I'm doing the main story part...I'm at the part 4 where I'm told to go to 'Alredstad"...or something like that where the King is rallying forces. I head that way to the area says Hordalyke.... when I get a warning that area has a Power Level of like 280 and I see Two Red Skulls so I turn around. Am I suppose to go around to all these other areas and just Raid and level up before heading there.....all those...starting area...show level 1....am Level 16

Second part...just when does Landing in England and actually starting a Settlement take place...after this Main Story Part?
Old 11-15-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Am I crazy or are there several Sync Points that you can not 'leap of faith' off of? Some seem to have water nearby, while others have nothing at all.

Yeah it seems a few of the big church spires dont have a drop down haystack to land into. Found out thr hard way by jumping and dying.

The one thing i always take into account for these games is the same thing always happens when i get a new one, and that is i always begin by thinking how much better the last game was in comparison. By 20-30 hours in i feel better about it, and many times by the end i think this is the bestbin the series. This game certainly gets better as it goes along, but i think i will still prefer Odyssey. Thats been the best game in the series by far.

My ranking:

1. Odyssey
2. Black Flag
3/4. Origins/Valhalla
5. Syndicate (i REALLY enjoyed this one a lot and it deserves higher praise)
6. III Remastered
7. Rogue

I didnt play the others. The Paris one had so much potential, but after reading how buggy it was i never picked it up. Did they ever fix it?

BTW, i was thinking of the next setting for a game. I think either a Napoleanic War or maybe the Conquestidaors against the Incas/Mayans could be good. I would like to get back to a tropical setting. Shame that Ghost of Tsushima has spoiled the chance of a Japanese set game.
Old 11-15-20, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Ok...I've avoided Guides and all but I've got two questions....

I'm doing the main story part...I'm at the part 4 where I'm told to go to 'Alredstad"...or something like that where the King is rallying forces. I head that way to the area says Hordalyke.... when I get a warning that area has a Power Level of like 280 and I see Two Red Skulls so I turn around. Am I suppose to go around to all these other areas and just Raid and level up before heading there.....all those...starting area...show level 1....am Level 16

Second part...just when does Landing in England and actually starting a Settlement take place...after this Main Story Part?
I have entered that part of Norway and a single hit will generally kill you. You need to level up your character to the level for the area to have a fighting chance, otherwise you will have a hard time knocking energy off enemies.

You get to England after several hours of play. Depends on how long you want to wonder around Norway collecting resources and doing missions. I did a few, then went to the main missions, got to England, played a while longer pn main missions, started doing some side missions, then went back to Norway and did everything i could up to the level i am at (73) and then back to England. Remember to prrss Triangle on the map to choose between the two countries.
Old 11-16-20, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah it seems a few of the big church spires dont have a drop down haystack to land into. Found out thr hard way by jumping and dying.

The one thing i always take into account for these games is the same thing always happens when i get a new one, and that is i always begin by thinking how much better the last game was in comparison. By 20-30 hours in i feel better about it, and many times by the end i think this is the bestbin the series. This game certainly gets better as it goes along, but i think i will still prefer Odyssey. Thats been the best game in the series by far.

My ranking:

1. Odyssey
2. Black Flag
3/4. Origins/Valhalla
5. Syndicate (i REALLY enjoyed this one a lot and it deserves higher praise)
6. III Remastered
7. Rogue

I didnt play the others. The Paris one had so much potential, but after reading how buggy it was i never picked it up. Did they ever fix it?

BTW, i was thinking of the next setting for a game. I think either a Napoleanic War or maybe the Conquestidaors against the Incas/Mayans could be good. I would like to get back to a tropical setting. Shame that Ghost of Tsushima has spoiled the chance of a Japanese set game.
They did the revolutionary war why not the civil war?
Old 11-16-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some of the flaws in this game are really beginning to piss me off. You put a marker on a location and when you get close it disappears, or it just disappears anyway. Really annoying. This marker system needs work as they are small and hard to identify when running around.

Also, using the bird is basically useless. When you cant still mark all enemeies is beyond me. Take a solid game mechanism and ruin it. The bird is basically useless now. I only ever use it to try and find hidden entrances, and even then its a last resort. It even flies weird.

I made it to Asgard this morning and its meh. Not as good as Olympus in Odyssey.
Old 11-16-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I might be wrong but when you hear that chime, I believe it's because a Book of Knowledge is nearby.
Old 11-16-20, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Some of the flaws in this game are really beginning to piss me off. You put a marker on a location and when you get close it disappears, or it just disappears anyway. Really annoying. This marker system needs work as they are small and hard to identify when running around.

Also, using the bird is basically useless. When you cant still mark all enemeies is beyond me. Take a solid game mechanism and ruin it. The bird is basically useless now. I only ever use it to try and find hidden entrances, and even then its a last resort. It even flies weird.

I made it to Asgard this morning and its meh. Not as good as Olympus in Odyssey.
Was just about to post how disappointed I am with the bird being useless. I aside from kinda showing you the immediate layout, they've completely neutered the application of marking enemies and finding loot. I don't care for the mechanic of Odin's Sense over the bird.
K&AJones (11-17-20)
Old 11-16-20, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

What is the point of the bird companions you can buy? They don't seem to replace the in-game raven.

I agree about the bird. The way you use it to just see the general area of a quest and map markers is super watered down.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.