Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
Re: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Originally Posted by james2025a
I made it to Asgard this morning and its meh. Not as good as Olympus in Odyssey.
Mt. Olympus isn't in Odyssey unless I missed something.
Old 11-16-20, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I might be wrong but when you hear that chime, I believe it's because a Book of Knowledge is nearby.
Hmmm...maybe. All of the books I've found so far (four of them) have been clearly identified on the map/compass and in the middle of towns, and I've never heard the chime play when I've been close to them. It's always when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. I think it might be tied to when a hostile animal is close or something like that.

Old 11-16-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Mt. Olympus isn't in Odyssey unless I missed something.

Been a while since i played it. Its Atlantis. But there are a few locations that lean towards Olympus and Hades.
Old 11-16-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So i completed almost everything in Asgard. Got a wolf fight, two tears to get and thats it. It was pretty dull throughout.

And a couple more gripes to add to the list. Whoever thought that it was a good idea to have underwater barriers that need hitting should be fired. Whenever i come across one i end up trying to hit it 50 times before it finally connects. Terribe detection. Also whoever thought that having to search for so many keys to open doors or having to shoot arrows through small gaps to open doors should be fired. All this crap is doing is making a game that will take an exceedingly long time to complete (platinum it) significantly longer. All this kind of crap needs to be gone for the next game.
Old 11-16-20, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope they patch and fix a bunch of this stuff before I start playing in a couple months.
Old 11-16-20, 09:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

So i completed almost everything in Asgard. Got a wolf fight, two tears to get and thats it. It was pretty dull throughout.

And a couple more gripes to add to the list. Whoever thought that it was a good idea to have underwater barriers that need hitting should be fired. Whenever i come across one i end up trying to hit it 50 times before it finally connects. Terribe detection. Also whoever thought that having to search for so many keys to open doors or having to shoot arrows through small gaps to open doors should be fired. All this crap is doing is making a game that will take an exceedingly long time to complete (platinum it) significantly longer. All this kind of crap needs to be gone for the next game.
sounds like maneuvering remote batarang or whatever in Batman: Arkham City. It’s maddening! I’m sure this easier. But AC drives me crazy, I never get into groove. I know how to do, do it eventually, but takes me 50 or so times. So sensitive, up is down, down is up. Maddening!
Old 11-17-20, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Some of the flaws in this game are really beginning to piss me off. You put a marker on a location and when you get close it disappears, or it just disappears anyway. Really annoying. This marker system needs work as they are small and hard to identify when running around.

Also, using the bird is basically useless. When you cant still mark all enemeies is beyond me. Take a solid game mechanism and ruin it. The bird is basically useless now. I only ever use it to try and find hidden entrances, and even then its a last resort. It even flies weird.

I made it to Asgard this morning and its meh. Not as good as Olympus in Odyssey.
Yeah, like I said before, the bird and Odin's sense are a joke. I see they also brought back the stupid chasing paper crap from AC 3. Not sure if it was in any others, but it sucks. I do love the flyting contests though. The game is growing on me, still not as good as Odyssey but it's fun.
Old 11-17-20, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Was just about to post how disappointed I am with the bird being useless. I aside from kinda showing you the immediate layout, they've completely neutered the application of marking enemies and finding loot. I don't care for the mechanic of Odin's Sense over the bird.

All this time I thought it was me or didn't have my Raven leveled up enough....'The Birds" in Origins and Odyssey marked enemies and even chest in or out of walls...but then again they gave the character a Oden's Sense skill in marking them when you crouch and are hidden...I prefer having The Bird do that an at least make it useful.....

Chimes...yep, they start going off when near a Book of Knowledge....

After a few days of playing now on the Pro Side of Things...
Raids...having a blast and more games should put this in using AI....I wish Ubisoft take a cue from Sucker punch and put in a sort of "Legends Mode" like Ghost of Tsushima where four Players can team up and do a sort of Defense, Mobile Defense and Raid on a Fort....this game would be perfect...
Dual Welding with any and everything....great add-on making combat much more fun.
Skill Tree....gives way more flexibility in making your character your style of play
Settlement...nice add-on where you feel more at home and among "Friends"
Story and Alliances....I'm only about 2/3 in one but can see this being a new twist in gameplay
The Hidden Blade...about time; never gets old.
Maps and England Time Period....so far as with Origins and odyssey, they've done a great job visually....it's a stunner...
Old 11-18-20, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah the Raids are fun, but i have seen a bug with them. Sometimes you signal a raid and then none of your allies turn up. Or when you try to force a church door and ask for help, no one comes to help and its just an endless loop of you hitting the door on your own. In these cases you have to leave the area and come back and restart.

I got to Jottenheim yesterday and completed about 98% of it. Just got the bear to kill (its level 340, so wont be for a while) and tbe stone puzzles. Fuck how i hate those stone puzzles. Just utter crap and another thing they can keave out of the next game. They also brought back the parkour chasing game here and i hated that in previous games and not happy to see it back. Would be a lot better if the mechanics of movement was perfect, but movemenr in this game can be a pain in the ass at times when jumping around. Jottenheim was another meh session which ended up pissing me off by ending with not just one boss boss but basically three (one is back in Asgard, but follows directly on). In these cases it really shows how some of the changes to like energy and crafting arrows is broken. End fighting one boss with low energy and zero arrows only to get bumped right into another battle withour a chance to restock (other than whats laying around on tbe ground around the boss). More things they changed from Odyssey and for the worse.

I also had the joy of 3 times today getting stuck in a falling animation and unable to get out of it. One of these occasions was when i was climbing as well, so that was fun. When it does this its impossible to move or fast travel and only way to get out is quit the game and restart.

This game is such a mixed bag for me at this stage. At times i am really enjoying it, but far too often its pissing me off or just feels severly lacking.

Last edited by james2025a; 11-19-20 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-19-20, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just hit Level 55 and overall the game is....Good....I would not put it in the same "Good and Great" as Origins and Odyssey....me and friend (who played the other AC Games) compared stuff what we've experienced and so far this...

Parkour Movement....just not as fluid and smooth as in Origins and Odyssey. Sometimes the character wants to go one direction instead of the obvious and where I'm moving the stick. Get stuck in corners....jumping to a rope or ledge only to jump all the way to the ground (right next to a enemy who were trying to assassinate above), opening in walls character goes all over the wall before actually going into the hole...

Horses & Riding...from Origins, Odyssey, Red Dead 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, all those had Riding that was right on and felt right...not here. The Horse and Riding is behind all four of those games.

The Cloak Problem....You go in a Town or area and to hide but once found out the clock seems to trigger a "On & Off & Back On"...I was in an area yesterday and this was really annoying On & Off & On Again several times even when enemies were chasing me.

Leather From Animals and Ore Amount...sorry but getting 1-2 here and there is pathetic when you need 30-60 to upgrade something

Fishing....While not expecting a "Rod & Reel"...this too is behind about every game I've played with Fishing. Apparently you're only allowed to catch One Per Spot....I've seen fish jumping all over, catch one and then there's nothing. I've caught some from the Bank but they don't show up Red and after pulling for a few minutes have to quit. Can't even fish from your own boat.....

Calling Your Ship; Ends Up Way Out?....even when standing on a bank or even a pier, when calling your ship it lands in the middle of the River

Calling for Backup; Only for Raids?....I've tried using the Horn in other places all over and what good is having "The Horn" when you call and your group doesn't show. Only good for Raids?....and once an area is Raided and Looted, same areas pop back up but there's no reason to Raid when there is no loot...
The following users liked this post:
Rob V (11-19-20)
Old 11-19-20, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah the game is good, but no where near how good the last two games were. I agree with everything you said. Movement is no where near as fluid as the last two games and its frustrating at times. The parkour sections would be more acceptable if movement is perfect, but in this state it means those things will probably be the last thing i do in this game. The next game needs to go back a step in game mechanics and design.
K&AJones (11-19-20)
Old 11-19-20, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones

Calling Your Ship; Ends Up Way Out?....even when standing on a bank or even a pier, when calling your ship it lands in the middle of the River

Oh yeah I'm with you on this. Love to call for my boat only to have it appear 50ft from shore
K&AJones (11-19-20)
Old 11-19-20, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah the game is good, but no where near how good the last two games were. I agree with everything you said. Movement is no where near as fluid as the last two games and its frustrating at times. The parkour sections would be more acceptable if movement is perfect, but in this state it means those things will probably be the last thing i do in this game. The next game needs to go back a step in game mechanics and design.
I'm only a couple hours in, but am so far pretty shocked at how it seems to be a bit of step backward. Odyssey set the gold standard for fluidity/climbing/movement in so many ways, but Valhalla seems just a bit...clunky.
How could this be? ? Also not sure what the point is of blurring out the skills. I'd like to know which direction I want to go with that so, internet.
K&AJones (11-19-20)
Old 11-19-20, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That skill tree is never ending. I am currently level 163 and i have literally onky just opened it up. A lot of the main skills also seem rather pointless.

Nack to more gripes. I HATE how you need adrenaline in order to use explosive arrows. Number of times i have found a wall that needs demolishing only to see i have no adrenaline and no jars around. Annoying as hell.

Also, the stamina bar is sooooooo bad. Why did they eliminate regeneratibg health and add in a goddam stamina bar that depletes real fast. Stupid

Well i did two more raids today and both times the problem with the boat not docking and soldiers not coming to help happened. When i finally got them to appear i then had a problem with no soldiers coming to help open the final treasure chest.

And many times after dying or traveling and the game reopening the vision is that of when you are drunk in the game, even though most times not had a drink kn the game prior. Another regular issue is with voices. Sometimes the voice sound for some characters is very low, and one time i had two characters talking at the same time.

An update for this game should have already been out by now, and its another bad sign from Ubisoft that they havnt done so. This game has been a big step back for the series in my opinion as its taking all the things that worked and fucked them up.

Last edited by james2025a; 11-19-20 at 03:03 PM.
K&AJones (11-19-20)
Old 11-19-20, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Been reading the posts over at the Ubisoft Valhalla Forum....mixed bag but a lot out there are point out...quirks...but the overall opinion is the game is no-where near polished as Odyssey. It's just a lot stuff that's annoying players....I haven't fought a Zealot yet (opted to save his life and took care of the Scroll)....but players are complaining about them having unlimited regen and stamina for red and orange attacks.....i don't know; want to continue as I like the time period, looks and all but I might go back and play Odyssey to see and feel the difference one night or two...

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/cate...ral-discussion

Old 11-19-20, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

To offer a different point of view, I’m really enjoying it. I’ve only just started my first alliance quest, so I’m earlier in the game than a lot of you, but really haven’t hit the gripes I’ve seen mentioned. I just played through Odyssey this summer, so I actually like a lot of the tweaks, as they keep it from feeling like I’m just playing the same game in a different setting. Most of them don’t feel particularly better or worse, just slightly different.

These games always look phenomenal, but this definitely feels like a step up from last gen in terms of how it looks. Not a giant step, but noticeable enough to be appreciated.

My only minor complaint so far is I encounter a fair amount of screen tearing at times. I recall the same with 3 & Black Flag, which I think are the only other two that I played as soon as they came out, so maybe that’s something typical that gets patched later.
Old 11-19-20, 05:34 PM

Also, the stamina bar is sooooooo bad. Why did they eliminate regenerating health and add in a goddam stamina bar that depletes real fast. Stupid
Could not possibly agree more. Scrounging for rations and hoping you have enough to regenerate health when you need it but also finding "rations full." UGH.

Second biggest complaint is the bird: It's ugly and does almost nothing. And are you saying you can't upgrade it mark enemies, etc.? I'm so confused. And you can't craft arrows. What on earth. WHY go backward???
Reminds me eerily of Ghost Recon Breakpoint after Wildlands. Just, WHY? I'm honestly thinking of putting this aside for a while, in hopes it gets better. I loved Odyssey more than anything, so this is making me sad.
Old 11-19-20, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by uteotw
Could not possibly agree more. Scrounging for rations and hoping you have enough to regenerate health when you need it but also finding "rations full." UGH.

Second biggest complaint is the bird: It's ugly and does almost nothing. And are you saying you can't upgrade it mark enemies, etc.? I'm so confused. And you can't craft arrows. What on earth. WHY go backward???
Reminds me eerily of Ghost Recon Breakpoint after Wildlands. Just, WHY? I'm honestly thinking of putting this aside for a while, in hopes it gets better. I loved Odyssey more than anything, so this is making me sad.
You are on point with your comparison with GR: Wildlands and Breakpoints. I LOVED Wildlands and slent hundreds of hours on it. I was so hyped for Breakpoint and had it pn preorder. Then i played the Beta and it was HORRIBLE. Cancelled my order right away. I managed to get it during Black Friday for $15 (the fastest price drop i have ever known for a AAA game... like a month after release) and thought maybe a miracle might happen and they do a massive overhaul. They did updates, but no where near enough to right the ship.

Getting back to the Adrenaline (and applies to the arrows). When i know i am heading into a boss fight i always want to load up to ensure i have enough to back me up in the fight, but now it means i have to waste maybe 10 mins just getting adrenaline and arrows to prepare. Its annoying as hell. And again, having the explosive arrows use adrenaline is beyond stupid.

And the bird is a total waste of time.

I had a look at the Ubisoft message boards and some well constructed points on problems with the game. One person mentioned how even just running around isnt fluid (he is right) and having the L3 as the run is a bad move.
Old 11-20-20, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

All the complaints about this game are spot on. I spent my summer playing Odyssey and this game isn't that... which is unfortunate. I hate, HATE the fact that health isn't regenerated. How dumb.
The bird was also a critical character. I took pride in finding sync points to upgrade his abilities. No bother now.
Old 11-20-20, 10:43 AM

All the complaints about this game are spot on. I spent my summer playing Odyssey and this game isn't that... which is unfortunate. I hate, HATE the fact that health isn't regenerated. How dumb.
The bird was also a critical character. I took pride in finding sync points to upgrade his abilities. No bother now.
Tried again last night. Ugh. I honestly wonder how a game franchise goes so markedly backwards like this. "People will love to scrounge for berries;" "Choosing .2 health boost as a skill point use will be exciting;" "Let's make the bird do a lot less and be more pointless;" "The movement will be more lumbering." Just, how? I have no idea how it works, but do they not have actual gamers test the games? Just plain confusing, and ultra disappointing.
Old 11-20-20, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It sounds like they just made things more difficult (You have to forage for food, You can't mark enemies, You have a stamina bar and your health doesn't regenerate). I'll probably wait until it's $20 now. I bought Maneater and Watch Dogs Legion on sale. I'm going on concentrate my time on them and Origins. I may go back and start the DLC on Odyssey too. I was exhausted after spending 100 hours on the main story.
Old 11-20-20, 02:19 PM

I may go back and start the DLC on Odyssey too. I was exhausted after spending 100 hours on the main story.
That is an excellent idea. I will do the same and hope they patch some stuff up in Valhalla.
Old 11-20-20, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It sounds like they just made things more difficult (You have to forage for food, You can't mark enemies, You have a stamina bar and your health doesn't regenerate). I'll probably wait until it's $20 now. I bought Maneater and Watch Dogs Legion on sale. I'm going on concentrate my time on them and Origins. I may go back and start the DLC on Odyssey too. I was exhausted after spending 100 hours on the main story.

If they could put a Raid in Odyssey I'd be all over that game again....I loved the Large Field Battles but they're too short and not enough.....but if anything I actually loved the sailing and ship battles just as much as land stuff.

As to Valhalla, how do you use the "Man's Best Friend" ability?....I've got it unlocked but it's greyed out and can't use it.
Old 11-20-20, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the mans best friend skill, but havnt used it. I am guessing you have to meet the dog first. I did find a dog at one point that allowed me to pet it, but not sure if thats the one. Cannot recall where i found it.

A big part of me would love to be done with this game. But already put significant time into it, so will go through it all and never have to play it again. There is one small positive to add. I do like the skill that acts like Scorpions (Mortal Kombat) chain, and slams your enemy into walls or other enemies. But better still is dragging them to you and if the enemy is weak enough you will decapitate them. The animation is good and i do this every chance i get. It also destroys enemies real fast.

I had a nee issue today. About a minute into a mission a blue screen appeared that said Data Corrputed. It then promptly disappeared and the game kept on going. Weird. Check the drive and the machine and everything is fine.
K&AJones (11-21-20)
Old 11-21-20, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got my first Blue Screen Last night and sadly on at the end of a big part of an Alliance Mission...It put me back a bit where I had to "Re-Kill" several soldiers in a Fort along with one of those Heavy Dudes which was a slight pain. To safeguard that I tried to save it but wouldn't allow it.

On the Man's Best Friend...I saved the Wolf close to Town and all thinking that was it...but there must be something else somewhere. I see the Wolf here and there in the Settlement but that's it. I started wondering if it has something to do with what Bow you have...I'm using a upgraded Bronze Light Bow since all my others are the "Entry Level White Hunter Bows"....Update - apparently there is a big glitched as many are saying they did the quest and got the book but still can't use The Wolf...

I completed a 3rd Alliance Last Night and overall things went better...except for the Blue Screen. The Raids and Sieges are the most fun and best part. Opening more of The Settlement has been fun to but a nice touch on it also bringing in lets say....intriguing issues...or growing pains....

I upgraded "The Seer" and now able to venture off into Neverland which my first time had my butt kicked left and right...didn't realize I was only about 30 points under-powered....shades of 'Thor" the movie....

The horse and Fishing is still behind but I'll throw out a line when I se some fish. I saw about 6-7 splashes last night, threw out a line, caught one and then nothing, they literally disappear when you catch one...

Still not seeing much in terms of Armor and gear with what I have got has been little here and there all White. The Best Gear I have actually came from Amazon Prime Gaming believe it or not....so far my Raiding party is holding their own and Lieutenant (a 6'-4" Amazon) is holding her own but feel like she could us a bit of upgrades, just don't have but normal gear to give her or spend resources at the Blacksmith which I guess maybe that's what's intended.

Last edited by K&AJones; 11-21-20 at 07:43 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.