Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Outer Worlds (10/25/2019: PC, XB1, PS4)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Outer Worlds (10/25/2019: PC, XB1, PS4)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: The Outer Worlds (10/25/2019: PC, XB1, PS4)

I left the first section last night and have opened up the Star Chart showing the other places....it's been a fun ride with all the conversations, the overall look, choices in leveling up, dealing with your companion who has saved my butt many a time including using her Special Ability....can't wait to land and check on the next place and surroundings. Game has been a real joy.....game might be called The Outer Worlds but Fallout is back...not that fake Fallout Fortnight 76 given to us last year....

I went toward the Gunner Side because of all the wacky weapons I saw in trailers...like the Shrinky Ray Gun....and have put most point in the Science, then Dialogue, Leadership (need that for the companions) and rest sort of evenly....Dialogue is really important and so far has paid off...well for me since I didn't want to take the path of I don't care what happens...other than that I've avoided any of the help guides and how to's...you just need to get out and like any other Fallout Game...go anywhere and do anything without guides....

I came across a article asking about..."Will the Outer Worlds Have DLC?"...well no-one knows and Obsidian hasn't said but there is a small clue when you finish the game...this is no spoiler since it's there yet not accessible....but when you finish the game there will be Planets on the Star Map you've never visited before...nor can at this moment...so it seams they left the door open for more adventures coming...

Last edited by K&AJones; 10-27-19 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-28-19, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't dig with the shovel or pick anything with the pickaxe?
Old 10-28-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by daniel18
You can't dig with the shovel or pick anything with the pickaxe?
Nope...but you or a companion can beat the crap out of an enemy with them....

I hit Level 13 and the game has really opened up with items and especially the companions which sometimes actually respond to another NPC......I got my forth last night and now need to look at who is who, equip them the best I can with gear that covers a bit of everything while deciding who comes along and who stays....some have their own side missions.....it's been fun to watch them attack and use their special ability. I'm on Medium Setting and seriously thinking of bumping it up...I haven't had to hardly use the Inhaler.....I'm putting most in the Gunner Slot with the companions now getting a boost on Crit Damage and on the companion perks did the +5 Armor...so far we're wasting any and everything.
Old 10-29-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I haven't been able to play since my work sent me out of state for the week, and I have to say it's really bugging me.
Old 10-31-19, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If this game is not in the GOTY Contenders...it will be the greatest injustice in gaming history....

...and it's safe to say that 30 hour estimation was for the Main Storyline and not all these countless side missions. I spent 3-4 nights on Monarch alone...and probably still have a few areas I haven't explored. It's been get one quest, show up and end up with two more. Go do one of them and get another.....no-way this is a 30 hour game. I've been to Terra-2, Groundbreaker, now Monarch and that's it...but I'm Level 21 and already have several sub-categories at Level 50, have six companions....there's a lot in this game to do, see, go and explore and far more to talk to. And everywhere I go...especially on Monarch...I've been amazed and in awe....no, it's not Destiny or the latest COD visuals but I swear it seems a bit more better and polished that when I first started on Terra-2....Stellar Bay and Fallbrook are simply amazing....justg need to finish as I'm almost certain I'm getting SW:Jedi Fallen Order.....been a great ride...
Old 10-31-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
If this game is not in the GOTY Contenders...it will be the greatest injustice in gaming history....

...and it's safe to say that 30 hour estimation was for the Main Storyline and not all these countless side missions. I spent 3-4 nights on Monarch alone...and probably still have a few areas I haven't explored. It's been get one quest, show up and end up with two more. Go do one of them and get another.....no-way this is a 30 hour game. I've been to Terra-2, Groundbreaker, now Monarch and that's it...but I'm Level 21 and already have several sub-categories at Level 50, have six companions....there's a lot in this game to do, see, go and explore and far more to talk to. And everywhere I go...especially on Monarch...I've been amazed and in awe....no, it's not Destiny or the latest COD visuals but I swear it seems a bit more better and polished that when I first started on Terra-2....Stellar Bay and Fallbrook are simply amazing....justg need to finish as I'm almost certain I'm getting SW:Jedi Fallen Order.....been a great ride...
My feelings exactly. I'm also in the same spot you are I'm level 21 and been doing quests in Monarch for a few days. I've got some of my perks up to level 70 since I'm putting almost everything in to dialogue perks and hacking/ lockpicking.
Old 10-31-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Questyen
My feelings exactly. I'm also in the same spot you are I'm level 21 and been doing quests in Monarch for a few days. I've got some of my perks up to level 70 since I'm putting almost everything in to dialogue perks and hacking/ lockpicking.
Everytime I get my (10) Points, I'd just add one on every line except melee which I skipped altogether since my objective was Gunner and Science....we're just melting any and everything with Science Weapon Buffs....Most of everything is close with the Hack, Sneak and Lockpick the second least behind. I don't worry about the Dodge and Block because I've got the other two companions buffed with good weapons and have the Inhaler set with lots of Health and Health-regen that I fire up the moment we start shooting. Heck, my two companions went in some building on their own and killed four including some heavy armor dude like nothing to it. The Wildlife...a couple of shots and they're a pile of dust and or dead in seconds. And I'm loving the Hunting Rifle...I do that Time Slow Down and with the buffs I have, one head shot and that's it and I get more time added for another.....and I've yet to use SAM...I'm waiting to see where I can use corrosive. So far I really haven't had any trouble with the companion combos....they've all been fairly good and fun to listen to.
Old 10-31-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

GOTY awards aren't like the Oscars. Not that anyone really remembers who wins Oscars, but game awards are truly meaningless.

That said, I've barely played this game yet but it seems really cool. As always with this sort of game I agonize about my build and skill set, but read somewhere that it's smart to pour your skill points into Charm, Persuasion, Lying, Stealth. That sort of thing. The thinking is you can always get better guns and armor but those verbal skills have to be inherent in your character. We shall see...
Old 10-31-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

So far, my only complaint is the teeny tiny font size they use. I'm playing on a 43" set, but still have a hard time reading some of the text. If i'm playing late at night and have the volume turned down, I rely on text of the conversations.
Old 11-01-19, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
So far, my only complaint is the teeny tiny font size they use. I'm playing on a 43" set, but still have a hard time reading some of the text. If i'm playing late at night and have the volume turned down, I rely on text of the conversations.
That’s my complaint, too. And the reason I haven’t touched it since.
Old 11-01-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I did notice the font is definitely too small since I usually read ahead of whatever the person is saying and keep skipping. Would be a nice for a QOL patch to address that.
Old 11-01-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I play on a 55 inch and sit 6-7 feet away and have had no issue with the font size. It is weird that they don't have options to make bigger.
Old 11-01-19, 10:23 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Yep, font size is definitely my #1 complaint. I'm still very early in the game, but I'm hoping to spend more time with it over this weekend finally. But I sit about 7 or 8 feet away.
My other complaint (again, very early into it...) is some of the enemies seem WAY overpowered for my low-ass level. I should have put more into my melee/gun abilities, because I'm still getting destroyed by the handful of early marauders wearing heavy armor as you head to the botanical area.
Old 11-01-19, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I play on a 55 inch and sit 6-7 feet away and have had no issue with the font size. It is weird that they don't have options to make bigger.
I’m on a 65 inch OLED but I’m about 9 feet away. Maybe i should move my couch closer.
Old 11-01-19, 06:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Font is small but not as bad as B3 for me actually. I need a new prescription all together, but that’s for another time. All text in these games seem very small to me. I put subtitles on in CoD: MW and its not bad, but still kinda small. One game recently had nice, big, bold subtitles that didn’t obstruct anything. Of course, I can’t remember at all...
Old 11-01-19, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

It's interesting to see people talk about feeling overwhelmed early on because at level 19 I feel like the game is just too easy. It's really ruining half the game as you don't have to do anything like tinkering or taking meds. I don't even look at the armor in stores because I'm just steamrolling everything.
Old 11-01-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

...and it's safe to say that 30 hour estimation was for the Main Storyline and not all these countless side missions. I spent 3-4 nights on Monarch alone...and probably still have a few areas I haven't explored. It's been get one quest, show up and end up with two more. Go do one of them and get another.....no-way this is a 30 hour game.
Easy Allies said they're playthroughs was 60 hours.
Old 11-02-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Wolf359
It's interesting to see people talk about feeling overwhelmed early on because at level 19 I feel like the game is just too easy. It's really ruining half the game as you don't have to do anything like tinkering or taking meds. I don't even look at the armor in stores because I'm just steamrolling everything.
I tend to agree a bit...I'm at Level 23, bulk of my points in The Gunner, Leadership, Dialog, Tech....then I have all my characters (except SAM) with good armor and weapons (either Plasma or Shock) that I constantly "Tinker & Modify".....and I have the difficulty at Medium. Doesn't matter which two companions I take, they can almost handle everything on their own. Everytime I shoot, crit numbers everywhere especially with the Time Slow Down. I probably died 2-4 times in the early level with just Parvati...who has one of the best Power Abilities of them all.

It too late to change the setting and frankly I want to get the game finished in time for Jedi Fallen Order. I would however like to playthru again...maybe a lite one without all the side stuff I'm doing with a Melee Build and Melee Only Companions at the next higher level....but I have no complaints as the game has been fun, all the dialog though a bit much sometimes has been great, the locations amazing. The weapons on par and last night got the Shrink Ray and two Melee Science weapons that's a hoot.
Old 11-03-19, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
Easy Allies said they're playthroughs was 60 hours.
That seems high. I just finished the game, all side quests and explored pretty much everything and it was in the 35-40 range.
Old 11-05-19, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, I just ran into a nearly game breaking bug. Walk into a required room during the end story and the game crashes every time. Luckily, you can backtrack after opening the door and come in from the other side to continue the story.
Old 11-05-19, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Playing on hard and a bit disappointed that
Spoiler:
with the right skills, the end stage pretty much turns into a walking sim, literally only using two bullets for the very last encounter.
Old 11-05-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

This looks great - I guess this will be one of my b2g1 games this week.

On a totally unrelated note, I see that some of the people involved in this worked on the great (but buggy) Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which now has a sequel coming out early next year.
Old 11-05-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had two glitches on side missions I cannot complete and a bit annoying......one go and find the Captain Irion on Scylla which I've done and tried 4-5 times and all he does is sit and mumble something that gives me no option to reply or nothing. He's supposedly held by Bandits or something but I show up and there's no-one...

The other is finding those three outfits to model for Celeste...a Marauder, Spacer and Iconoclast......I've got 4-5 outfits and head gear pieces from Spacer and she doesn't see it and keeps saying...'I can't wait to see these outfits" and tells me where I can find Spacer ones...I've tried I don't know how many combos and nothing....I put the Iconoclast one on and she saw that right away.

Other than that I've loved it but I do agree the difficulty could've been upped some....Last two missions I let my Companions just wipe everyone out only firing the Mind Control Weapon and using the inhaler for them. I've done all the companion and most the faction quests...been well worth the money...now for Jedi Fallen Order which I don't think will be the same cakewalk....
Old 11-05-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ The spacer ones are lowercase s and indicated in the description at the bottom of the item, not the brand.
Spoiler:
They sell two pieces at the armor vendor at the back of the Groundbreaker Promenade.
Old 11-05-19, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah the spacer one gave me trouble also but it's not a glitch just specific about what type of clothing you need to use. She actually mentions it when giving you the quest.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.