Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Outer Worlds (10/25/2019: PC, XB1, PS4)

Old 11-05-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Outer Worlds (10/25/2019: PC, XB1, PS4)

Complaining about the difficulty is weird in a game that has 4 different difficulty options that you can switch between at any time and a "hardcore" mode for those who want it. Not sure what else people could want.
Old 11-06-19, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Yeah the spacer one gave me trouble also but it's not a glitch just specific about what type of clothing you need to use. She actually mentions it when giving you the quest.
I got it last night but I had Head & Clothes that actually said..."Spacer" and she still didn't see it. It took some combinations but one piece didn't say Spacer...Helm...and that 's when I got it. Now just grab the items...
Old 11-06-19, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Complaining about the difficulty is weird in a game that has 4 different difficulty options that you can switch between at any time and a "hardcore" mode for those who want it. Not sure what else people could want.
Playing on hard already and still too easy so I guess I'm weird. I mean why would I ever want to to use those stupid tinker and upgrade options? Consumables? Who needs them?

Supernova I don't want to screw with, it just sounds tedious even if the combat is more difficult. I still want to have fun.

Last edited by Wolf359; 11-06-19 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-06-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you donít start in Supernova, you canít switch to it. So, finding Hard too easy would require starting a new game.
Old 11-06-19, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This reviewer is claiming that he finished the game in 10 hours on Supernova difficulty. Are any of you finishing that quickly?

Old 11-07-19, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

About a week ago there was something on some speed run where they said, "so & so finishes The Outer Worlds in 30 minutes"....they might have reached the end in 30 minutes but they probably didn't touch 80%-90% of the game. So this person who says they did it in 10 hours...no-way they touched a lot of the side stuff....I honestly don't see the draw on doing quick run-thrus on any game much less something like this (Fallout Style games). I like to look & poke around every corner and enjoy the moment...this is nothing but for notoriety and get YouTube hits....

FWIW...I've put in about 35-38 hours and done all the companion, faction, side stuff...except one that won't pop up and at the very end...won't say where because it's one of two choices...
Old 11-07-19, 09:06 AM

There is no way he finished it that quickly organically. He was trying to see how fast he could finish it.
Old 11-07-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For some reason it didn't occur to me until I started playing that this game would have at least a bit of a Firefly feel.

So far I'm digging it, but I'm only a few hours in.
Old 11-07-19, 09:48 AM

He claimed he did a good deal of the side stuff. He was complaining that other reviewers were saying it was a 30 hour game and that wasn't the case for him...
Old 11-07-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think different people just play differently. I'm sure my first playthrough will be closer to 80 hours. I tend to run away from objectives until I've explored everywhere else.
Old 11-07-19, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
He claimed he did a good deal of the side stuff. He was complaining that other reviewers were saying it was a 30 hour game and that wasn't the case for him...
I don't believe him and he's not a credible reviewer. Judging by the other videos on that site I wouldn't take anything they say seriously. One of their most popular videos is SJW culture is ruining gaming. They are trash.
Old 11-07-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He "Might Have Finished It" that quick but only doing one line of the conversations and not all with basically opening up a dialogue and then quiting out after one sentence/reply. Heck all the companions have a lot of dialogue and you just cannot just start, have one sentence and then leave saying I did it....In fact I'd almost say Outer Worlds probably has more NPC Dialogue than Fallout 4 when you factor all of them in it....
Old 11-07-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just started this, looks like fun. My kind of slow paced story driven game
Old 11-07-19, 04:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
Just started this, looks like fun. My kind of slow paced story driven game
and so so gorgeous!
Old 11-08-19, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished it last night...a great fun ride and fully enjoyed it especially after the so-called other Fallout game was a miserable experience. Story all started making more sense and fell into place...with options....and without spoiling anything, the ending was great yet a bit sad....

At one time I'd like to go thru with a melee side, up the difficulty a bit but for now will park and dabble in other games waiting on Black Friday hopefully seeing Jedi Fallen Order on sale. Overall I'd give the game a 9/10...…

Pros....
Great Design, Look, Locations......Excellent Story that ties everything together including your companions & factions.......The Companions; their stories, lots of variable choices on their abilities and loadouts and able to mix and match who you want to tag along......Menus; I just liked how they are all right their and fairly easy to move around from inventory, skills, companion load outs, etc...….Combat; didn't have issues and looked great compared to Fallout 76 which was a joke. The mechanics and all were good and all the weapons pretty much covered it.....NPCs; at first a bit annoying but it was quite different to see some actually engage with each other based on the response. I felt sometimes it was a NPC MP Game which was fun......Dialogue; you really have a lot of chatter and choices on your response that will set your path throughout the game. Frankly thought there was more here than in Fallout 4...…..Science Weapons; The Shrinking Ray Gun was a hoot and the others just fun to mess around with......Loot; it seemed well balanced with multiple choices on your uniform, headgear and weapons.

Cons....
At Normal...which I tend to start out with on majority games got a bit too easy at the halfway mark but starting out wasn't the case. Toward the end I was almost able to just let the Two Companions wreck havoc on their own. I don't care to change settings in mid stream in a game. Just do it thru another playthru…

Loading Screens....fast traveling or going into a new area, sometimes it seemed a bit long.
Not enough Science Weapons....I was hoping for a bit more...and the effects lasting a bit longer. The Best Gun in the game is not even considered a Science Weapon and had the best visual effects.

Cussing in the Game.....this is bit more personal since I know a certain 11yr old that loves Fallout and has played a great deal of Fallout 4 and even Fallout 76. I know some might say its no big deal or, 'He probably hears it at school and such"...well no he doesn't. Parents are strict on game content just like on TV. He doesn't hang with friends who might and same with online friends.....I know he would love Outer Worlds but why they had to put "Fu*k you and this and that" in the game is a bit beyond me without considering gamers of all ages would probably like this.
First Area looked different from rest of the game....just call it a bit of annoyance but compared to all the other locations, your first location just seemed a bit roughed around the edges compared to all the others.

Last edited by K&AJones; 11-08-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-08-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

As someone who has kids and was also a kid, there is no way your kid doesn't hear that stuff at school no matter who they hang out with.
Old 11-08-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
At one time I'd like to go thru with a melee side, up the difficulty a bit but for now will park and dabble in other games waiting on Black Friday hopefully seeing Jedi Fallen Order on sale. Overall I'd give the game a 9/10...Ö
As I usually do with new games, I started with a melee build on hard, which can definitely be challenging. It's pretty easy to get overwhelmed by enemies when they're spread out, but still fun.
Old 11-08-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
As someone who has kids and was also a kid, there is no way your kid doesn't hear that stuff at school no matter who they hang out with.
Oh he has and he also has the choice of listening and walking away which he has done. He doesn't like nor understands why people have to say it so much...I couldn't give him a logical answer as to why some just have to utter a few "G*d D*mm & F*uk This & That" in every sentence but more or less told him what my Grandmother would tell us, "You are who you are by the company you keep...and are what you are by what you eat".....

But he's smart enough to know better and thankfully hasn't gone down that road. He's played some "Gory, shooter, bloody, body parts everywhere games...he was playing Diablo III with ease at 8yrs old but he knows it's not real. He's more proficient at Warframe than some older players I know which is mild compared to a lot of other stuff. Some might say it's no big deal, everyone does and says it...well not really and not everyone cares for it......I've got a few friends I get online with in a game and it's a cuss word in every sentence...I know one I game with who has his 6-8 year olds close by when he's on and he has to constantly hit the mute button when someone lets out the *&$#[email protected] words.....
Old 11-08-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Outer World Upcoming Patch 1.1.1.0 Notes...due to hit next week..... https://www.psu.com/news/the-outer-w...e-patch-notes/
  • he crashing issue in Tartarus
  • Increase Font Size – Conversations/Subtitles
  • Muffled sound effects occur at random times for players on the PS4
  • Companions dying and failing companion quests on modes other than Supernova
  • Unable to finish “Radio Free Monarch”
  • Trophy “Not the Best Choice” fails to unlock properly
Old 11-08-19, 07:20 PM

i'm going back to this. F- Modern Warfare's, i want to do stuff...
Old 11-08-19, 07:29 PM

The Outer World Upcoming Patch 1.1.1.0 Notes...due to hit next week..... https://www.psu.com/news/the-outer-w...e-patch-notes/
  • Increase Font Size – Conversations/Subtitles
Lol I just started playing this today. I'll wait for the patch. Thank you for posting this.
Old 11-08-19, 07:31 PM

Oh he has and he also has the choice of listening and walking away which he has done. He doesn't like nor understands why people have to say it so much...I couldn't give him a logical answer as to why some just have to utter a few "G*d D*mm & F*uk This & That" in every sentence but more or less told him what my Grandmother would tell us, "You are who you are by the company you keep...and are what you are by what you eat".....

But he's smart enough to know better and thankfully hasn't gone down that road. He's played some "Gory, shooter, bloody, body parts everywhere games...he was playing Diablo III with ease at 8yrs old but he knows it's not real. He's more proficient at Warframe than some older players I know which is mild compared to a lot of other stuff. Some might say it's no big deal, everyone does and says it...well not really and not everyone cares for it......I've got a few friends I get online with in a game and it's a cuss word in every sentence...I know one I game with who has his 6-8 year olds close by when he's on and he has to constantly hit the mute button when someone lets out the *&$#[email protected] words.....
I mean the game has extremely graphic violence with thousands of realistic humans getting blown to pieces during your playthrough and you're worried about your 11 year old hearing "god damn"? uh ok. It would be rated M even if the language was PG.
Old 11-08-19, 08:02 PM

I mean the game has extremely graphic violence with thousands of realistic humans getting blown to pieces during your playthrough and you're worried about your 11 year old hearing "god damn"? uh ok. It would be rated M even if the language was PG.
really? can't wait to get to that....
Old 11-09-19, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Increased font size is good. I bet you it’s still small as hell though.
Old 11-09-19, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's not exactly realistic humans getting blown to bits...and he's played other games (loves zombie based stuff) but as I said he knows that's not real and it's just a game no matter what he's playing....when something goes south in a game the worst he says is..."Oh..crap".....the G*D D*mn and Fu*k" might be a mainstay or even casual part of one's everyday language but not he, not my Daughter's family, not me, not my family, wife's family or most of those I hang out with...sort of look at it the same way as cigarettes: people like to do it but what good does it do?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.