Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Outer Worlds (10/25/2019: PC, XB1, PS4)

Old 10-23-19, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Outer Worlds (10/25/2019: PC, XB1, PS4)

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I got my order in for two copies.
Okay, I'll bite : Why two copies? One a gift?

I'm glad I've got an Xbox One. Not sure if I would buy this right away but thanks to Game Pass I don't have to.
Old 10-23-19, 10:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Iím so happy this is free for Ultimate members. I may jump into in between Borderlands 3. Weíll see. Not a big rpg fan, but downloaded New Vegas, but never got into Fallout 3, but probably didnít give it much of a chance tbh...
Old 10-23-19, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Minor distinction, but it's free for all Game Pass members, regular or Ultimate (though I imagine we are all Ultimate members thanks to their amazing deal around E3).
Old 10-24-19, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Okay, I'll bite : Why two copies? One a gift?

I'm glad I've got an Xbox One. Not sure if I would buy this right away but thanks to Game Pass I don't have to.
A copy for myself and a copy for a co-worker. He paid for his copy. Only days to spare with my GCU.
Old 10-24-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can play right now . All I did was change my xbox's country to new zealend. Xbox restarts automatically. That's it no crazy tricks.

Played an hour so far it's a blast to play. Love the ships computer

So glad I avoided all previews of this game. The only thing I watched was the first trailer.
Old 10-24-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't call this a "Spoiler" as it's like the charts and info on the Skills, Perks and Builds from Fallout 4 basically showing what you can do with a character builds.

The Outer Worlds Character Builds - Attributes, Skills, and Perks for Every Style of Play - Guide - Push Square
Old 10-24-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like hearing that this is a relatively "easy" game, as far as combat goes.
I ain't got time for games that artificially increase their play-time by having bullet-sponge enemies and bosses that you have to grind in order to beat.
Old 10-24-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
I wouldn't call this a "Spoiler" as it's like the charts and info on the Skills, Perks and Builds from Fallout 4 basically showing what you can do with a character builds.

The Outer Worlds Character Builds - Attributes, Skills, and Perks for Every Style of Play - Guide - Push Square
Excellent. Thanks for posting this.
Old 10-24-19, 01:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I like hearing that this is a relatively "easy" game, as far as combat goes.
I ain't got time for games that artificially increase their play-time by having bullet-sponge enemies and bosses that you have to grind in order to beat.
I hadn't read any reviews, but this is a relief.
Old 10-24-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
You can play right now . All I did was change my xbox's country to new zealend. Xbox restarts automatically. That's it no crazy tricks.

So glad I avoided all previews of this game. The only thing I watched was the first trailer.
I wonder if this will work with the PS4??
Old 10-24-19, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post

holy shit is this fun as hell and it is easy for an RPG, which as i said, i am not a big fan of, but you start running and gunning right away and goddamn does this game look gorgeous! i just wish there was a takedown method when you sneak up on someone. doesn't seem to be eventhough i chose stealth as an ability, but the shooting is just like FPS. easy breezy, but the beauty of the game and ease of movement will make me stick with this me thinks.

and such a simple story in the beginning. really no long drawn out thing.

just loving the few minutes i played.

now, when i set back to US, i won't lose any save data or anything, right? what happens if i set back now to US, save data will be there, but still won't be able to play, right?
Old 10-24-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post

now, when i set back to US, i won't lose any save data or anything, right? what happens if i set back now to US, save data will be there, but still won't be able to play, right?
You should be fine. I did the same method when I got Dark Souls 3 early had no issues switching back to U.S.

Old 10-24-19, 02:43 PM

cool, thanks mhg. glad i followed advice. game is so far amazeballs!
Old 10-24-19, 07:59 PM

So fucking lush. And you can just explore freely and do stuff and follow main and side missions. Very easy to navigate all menus (even though I may not understand them all exactly ) Makes it really addictive to explore and kill marauders. It’s not exactly FPS mechanics in shooting and dodging and healing quick, but pretty damn close. And really wish had stealth takedowns. This game is ripe for it. Stealth is even a skill and perk you can upgrade, but no actual walk up behind and silently kill. Oh well. Gonna give this more time before my B3 addiction kicks in again. Too good to let go now...
Old 10-25-19, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I took the dive and DL it now...I shall see if all those reviews live up all the hype tomorrow evening after work.....
Old 10-25-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did the NZ trick, and I was very much enjoying it last night. It doesn't do anything groundbreaking, but it feels well put together. I enjoy the dialogue options as well, and they give you quite a few. I was really turned off by the FO4 dialog options, so this was a welcome change.

I am always big into the lockpicking and hacking mechanics in these types of games. I actually enjoy those minigames. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to exist in this one. Hacking and lockpicking are item and skill based. The skill level just determines how many of the lockpick type items you need to hack a door or chest.

However, I did notice that once in a terminal, if you have a high enough skill level, you can hack into certain options without items.

I haven't tested it yet, but I enabled an option that shows all dialog options, even if you don't have the skill level to select them. Default, it is set to "only if you're close". So if a certain dialog option takes 20 charisma, and you're at 15, it may show it up, but not if your level is 1. I want to see what options I'm missing because I didn't put enough points into something.
Old 10-25-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Xbox owners are lucky. I can't believe you all get this for free if you have game pass. I'm going to have to pay for it to play it on my ps4.
Old 10-25-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe it either. And I paid basically nothing for Game Pass in the first place thanks to those crazy convert your Gold to Game Pass deals.
Old 10-26-19, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So dumb there’s no stealth takedown.
Old 10-26-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep! The lack of a stealth takedown is disappointing.
Old 10-26-19, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Loving it so far...it's straight out Fallout with a touch of Bioshock & Mass Effect....I'm still early in the game but it's like Fallout 4 in Space...just minus Dogmeat & the Building Settlements/Outposts part.....

Love the menus and getting around...it's almost like the one in Warframe where you can easily move around to everything and all your items are separated by type and has the info in the square on the basics from food, weapons, armor...just enough and not to cluttered.

Like how the points work also...it's really no different than in Fallout 4 where you set your attributes where you set the foundation but here each main category has 2-3 subs with plenty of info on what they do...basically you almost need alittle points in everything only deciding to go straight out shooter or melee....throw in the Skill Points and you really can do some custom build stuff. It's really laid out well.

Landscape & Look...wow...not polished like the Destiny but more like the rough-around-the-edge version of No Man's Sky...but it does fit the game and style. I had to go to some Bio Plant and turn the Power Off...still haven't...and it was in there I thought of Bioshock....

Combat...feels a lot like Fallout 4 especially with that "Slow Down Time" function...but that's a good thing....it felt good, smooth, fluid and no-where near the stupid feel of Fallout 76 where it looked and felt like some PC Game from 15 years ago.

Loot....Plenty of it, all over the place, easy to pick up all or parts of which goes into your nicely organized inventory to sell, breakdown on with companions give them armor and weapons.....simplified as it can get...

If there was one thing that struck me was all night I never once encountered a glitch, bug, lag, issue of anything...a far cry from a lot of games lately that seems to be plagued with issues the first week or so. Hats off to Obsidian for giving us a True Fallout Game...shame though that since they signed with Microsoft, us PS4 owners will never see a Outer Worlds 2...which with the reviews, reception and the outright butchery Bethesda has done with Fallout you know it's going to come....
Old 10-26-19, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
So dumb thereís no stealth takedown.
thatís what I said...
Old 10-26-19, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I, too, was disappointed with the lack of stealth takedown.

I'm enjoying this so far. I really does feel like Mass Effect to me.
Old 10-27-19, 12:35 AM

We don’t have the takedowns, but I do like bullettime mode where you can aim for head shots and stuff. That’s a good feature to upgrade...
Old 10-27-19, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've already played like 10 hours. I'm hooked.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.