Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-20-18, 09:32 PM   #176
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

Re: God of War (4/20/18- PS4)

I wrapped up the Valkyries this weekend and I think it's time to move on. I still have one more dragon and some hidden stuff that I don't really feel like searching for and I don't want to get burned out in case they add some DLC down the line. I don't see anything else topping this experience this year. GOTY!
Old 05-20-18, 10:58 PM   #177
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Cory Barlog has said there's no plans for DLC, so it'll be interesting if that's true or not. My GOTY so far too, I want to play more! Hopefully at least they add a new game+ mode.

https://kotaku.com/what-s-next-for-g...war-1825694347

Quote:
Cory Barlog: I made this game to be so that you bought it, you went home and played it, and you got the whole game. There’s not a plan, at all, in any of this, that I was going to deliver any DLC or anything like that, simply because I loved, as a kid, to get a game and play the whole game. And feel like I got everything.

Spoiler:
Kirk Hamilton: Yeah, but your final scene has got Thor standing outside the door with his hammer!

Barlog: But I mean come on, if you played God of War II, you know that I’m not gonna end it with, “everything’s done!” I love the sort of Lord of the Rings concept of, when you finish Fellowship, you’re getting ushered into Two Towers, right? I think, for me, that is the continued engagement. There is the end-of-the-credits scene that teases something, right? And I don’t think anybody watches any of the Marvel movies and goes like, man, you ripped me off, you put this credits scene at the end, when are you gonna finish it? Obviously you’re gonna finish it in the next movie. This is the same. This is all building towards this sort of grand story.

For me, I’m not a huge fan of DLC simply because sometimes it is approached in the manner of, “Okay, well, here’s the game, let me just cut this off and that’ll be DLC.” Also, I need a rest, man! Five years! I don’t wanna jump into DLC right now.
EDIT: Shit, realized there's a spoiler in there, so I spoilerized that part.

And of course you can GFY. -chess

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-21-18 at 02:54 AM..
Old 05-21-18, 12:54 AM   #178
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

How refreshing.
Old 06-06-18, 06:38 PM   #179
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Finally finished this game - I definitely didn't get close to 100%, but I did plenty of side stuff during my initial playthrough, so I have zero desire to go back and randomly roam about to see what I may have missed. Nothing important, I assume.

And in case anyone missed it, when you finish your game, go back to your home and rest in your bed to get a quick little post-credit sequence/teaser.
Old 06-12-18, 01:00 AM   #180
gerrythedon
DVD Talk Limited Edition

God of War to Get New Game + Mode

Quote:
As you would imagine, New Game + will offer a harder difficulty, but you'll be able to play through the game with all of the upgrades you had when you finished your last main quest. You'll keep your armor, pommels, talismans and everything else, but your character statistics will be exactly the same.
https://www.truetrophies.com/n15034/...-new-game-mode

Do you feel that hope is fading? Do you comprehend?
Do you feel it terminating? In the end... Blame the world, and blame your maker.
Hello darkness, Say goodbye!
Old 06-12-18, 01:42 AM   #181
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

A no brainer, sounds good to me!

Old 06-14-18, 12:13 AM   #182
gerrythedon
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish they would add new & more EPIC armor variety.

Do you feel it terminating? In the end... Blame the world, and blame your maker.
Old 06-14-18, 09:01 AM   #183
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

I don't need this game to be any harder - I just want to know how to find what I may have missed.
Old 06-14-18, 10:40 AM   #184
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

Each area has a map with the number of objectives left. It doesn't always highlight exactly where you need to go, but at least gives you an idea of what you need to search for.
Old 08-08-18, 04:05 PM   #185
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...hes-august-20/

Quote:
God of War New Game+ will be available as a free patch update on August 20 (that’s our four-month anniversary already). Remember, to access all the greatness of New Game+, you’ll need to complete the story campaign of God of War on any difficulty. If you already did, New Game+ will be ready and waiting for you on August 20 once you’ve patched. If you haven’t beaten the game yet, you’ve got two weeks, friend. Your boat and Axe and BOI are waiting.

So what is God of War New Game+? It’s inspired by your feedback first and foremost.

With New Game+ comes along a host of new gear, more difficult enemies, and cinematic skipping!
  • Relive the journey of Kratos and Atreus with all of your previous armors, enchantments, talismans, resources and abilities on the difficulty of your choosing.
  • Test your skills against higher level enemies; some of which might even have a few new tricks up their sleeves!
  • Unique to New Game+ is a brand new rarity level of equipment to craft and upgrade! Collect ‘Skap Slag’, a new resource to upgrade your gear to the best of the best from our finest blacksmiths.
  • Play the game in a whole new way by exploring new customization options with extremely powerful new armor sets and enchantments.
  • Finally, get right back into the action with the newly added ability to skip through cinematics in both normal and New Game+ modes once a full play through has been completed.

Old 08-08-18, 08:32 PM   #186
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

It's pretty awesome that they went back and added that. It's still too soon for me, but I could see myself revisiting next year on a higher difficulty since I can keep my upgrades.
Old 08-09-18, 10:47 AM   #187
uteotw
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, it's cool they added that but I think I'm good. Finished it recently, awesome epic game, but not really into starting over (or going back to search for stuff I missed). But really a fantastic game.
Old 08-13-18, 09:35 AM   #188
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend

I’m not sure if I’m going to replay this game all over but I’m trying to finish off the Trials and kill off the Valkyries.
Old 08-14-18, 09:20 PM   #189
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

Currently on sale for $45 at Amazon
Old 08-20-18, 10:19 PM   #190
gerrythedon
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
God of War's free New Game Plus mode is now live and adds new Valkyrie and Realm Tears updates, among other features.

As detailed on PS Blog, Valkyries are tougher than before in NG+ as they now have different attack patterns. Timed Realm Tears are also being introduced – you won't be able to run away from combat once you open a rift, forcing you to battle Hel-Vikens and Revenants.

Forging new armor sets for both Kratos and Atreus will be an option, which offers new gameplay abilities such as a chest piece that creates massive explosions whenever you stomp on Health or Rage stones.

You'll also be able to convert talismans and armor sets into enchantments, which will allow you to create new combinations that were not possible outside of NG+.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/...ed-realm-tears

Old 10-16-18, 01:17 AM   #191
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

So I've been playing this for the last month. I was never a huge fan of this series but this game has blown me away. Kratos from I & II was a non-character with zero development for me and I've never been a huge fan of games with fighting mechanics with dozens upon dozens of combos to memorize. Fortunately the story, setting and overall game design in this one has elevated it way higher than any game in the series prior (well, at least I & II as I haven't played III). I'm nearing the end and have poured probably 60+ hours into it. I only have a couple shrines left to find and a couple other trophies (Primordial, Zealot, last Blades upgrade) to clean up. It's been a fun ride.

Now, since I'm not a fighting game guy, I dropped it to easy after a handful of hours. I wasn't going to bang my head against the wall in frustration. It's been far more enjoyable since I did that. Still found a few battles a challenge and still die on occasion but now I'm at the end.... I just spent an hour fighting the Queen Valkeryie Sigurn and still haven't beat her. I'm throwing in the towel tonight. Fuck that bitch. It doesn't seem like she leveled down like everything else in the game. She's annoying as fuck and kicking my ass.
Old 10-16-18, 11:53 AM   #192
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

I saved the Valkeryies for after the game once I had really good gear and runes. It made the experience much better IMO.
Old 11-24-18, 08:37 AM   #193
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hello All

I picked this up early BF sale thru the store...it was the one game on my to-get list...and I can see why all the reviews were "9.5 and 10"....this and AC: Origins have been the best money spent and deal I've had in a long time.

For the most part I'm avoiding spoilers and just reading a tip or two. But I've reached The Big Lake, after The Witches house and meeting the World Serpent. I have the mark to go to the mountain but also to explore the lake which on somethings I'm not sure of....

First...there's these "Black Floating Small Mass Aberrations" in the middle of some of these platforms...you ride some small elevator thing up. On the outside there are these large round containers that The Boy can't make out the wording. I first threw the Axe and nothing happened but I went over, touched it, flash of light and some Purple Bar Monster comes out, one hits me and I'm dead. I don't know if this is tied later or not suppose to do yet or what.

Second....there are areas around the lake I can see stuff to get...or shoot one of the Birds (Odin's Eyes) like on shoreline, wrecked boat or a ledge with a chain on top....but it won't let me park the boat anywhere near.

Third...I've seen some Chests with a pink/red vines over them and some flashing Red Orb Mass nearby. I throw the Axe and it just bounces off. I saw these in the Cave under the Witches House. Some of these Red Flashing Orbs are also on Doorways/Entrances...what are they?

Forth....I've only seen a couple of these but there's these stands with a ball that glows/sparkles green. There's one in The Cave when I come out of her house down the path and I've seen two opposite of each other on the lake where I can take the boat thru. I've hit it and gone near them but nothing happens.

I get a sense I return to The Witch later and she has more of a part, especially since it looks like areas in the cave have stuff to do and access….

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
Old 11-24-18, 09:35 AM   #194
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Hello All

I picked this up early BF sale thru the store...it was the one game on my to-get list...and I can see why all the reviews were "9.5 and 10"....this and AC: Origins have been the best money spent and deal I've had in a long time.

For the most part I'm avoiding spoilers and just reading a tip or two. But I've reached The Big Lake, after The Witches house and meeting the World Serpent. I have the mark to go to the mountain but also to explore the lake which on somethings I'm not sure of....
You're in an open world, sorta. Not like GTA, more like Metroid/Castlevania. So you'll basically be coming back to all these places, with the big lake being like a hub.

Quote:
First...there's these "Black Floating Small Mass Aberrations" in the middle of some of these platforms...you ride some small elevator thing up. On the outside there are these large round containers that The Boy can't make out the wording. I first threw the Axe and nothing happened but I went over, touched it, flash of light and some Purple Bar Monster comes out, one hits me and I'm dead. I don't know if this is tied later or not suppose to do yet or what.
You'll be able to kill them later when you're leveled up. Not really tied to anything; you get a trinket when you kill them.

Quote:
Second....there are areas around the lake I can see stuff to get...or shoot one of the Birds (Odin's Eyes) like on shoreline, wrecked boat or a ledge with a chain on top....but it won't let me park the boat anywhere near.
Open world. You'll get abilities and "change" the environment around you, allowing you to access previously unacceptable areas, just like a Metroid-vania game.

Quote:
Third...I've seen some Chests with a pink/red vines over them and some flashing Red Orb Mass nearby. I throw the Axe and it just bounces off. I saw these in the Cave under the Witches House. Some of these Red Flashing Orbs are also on Doorways/Entrances...what are they?
Again, keep playing, you'll be able to do something with them later.

Quote:
Forth....I've only seen a couple of these but there's these stands with a ball that glows/sparkles green. There's one in The Cave when I come out of her house down the path and I've seen two opposite of each other on the lake where I can take the boat thru. I've hit it and gone near them but nothing happens.
Patience! You'll be able to do something with those later.

Quote:
I get a sense I return to The Witch later and she has more of a part, especially since it looks like areas in the cave have stuff to do and access….
It's just not the linear world you were expecting.
Old 11-24-18, 09:55 AM   #195
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
You're in an open world, sorta. Not like GTA, more like Metroid/Castlevania. So you'll basically be coming back to all these places, with the big lake being like a hub.

You'll be able to kill them later when you're leveled up. Not really tied to anything; you get a trinket when you kill them.

Open world. You'll get abilities and "change" the environment around you, allowing you to access previously unacceptable areas, just like a Metroid-vania game.

Again, keep playing, you'll be able to do something with them later.

Patience! You'll be able to do something with those later.

It's just not the linear world you were expecting.
Thanks...that's what I wanted to know without devulging too much. I got the feeling some parts are like I can come back when I reach a certain level or aquire some ability/perk or something and play a role in the story. Just what I was needing...thank you again....

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
Old 11-26-18, 01:46 PM   #196
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On this part again...have another question...

Quote:

I tried one after leveling up...two came out, both with three small Yellow Bars. Killed them and something did drop, not sure what but that Floating Black Mass is still there. Is this something you can just repeat for XP and Resources?

Old 11-26-18, 02:20 PM   #197
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Realm tears? For the most part, you just get crafting material for some of the fancier equipment.

Old 11-26-18, 09:39 PM   #198
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

After you beat a villain that pops out of a realm tear, you're done. Reach into the realm tear again to get your reward and close the tear.

Quote:
On the outside there are these large round containers that The Boy can't make out the wording. I first threw the Axe and nothing happened but I went over, touched it, flash of light and some Purple Bar Monster comes out, one hits me and I'm dead. I don't know if this is tied later or not suppose to do yet or what.
The wording and the tears are not tied together. You need to find cipher parts for the boy to be able to read the wording. Some tears have easy villains, some are a bitch and some have nothing but a reward. Unfortunately you don't know until you reach into one.

The game throws a lot at you early and doesn't really explain a lot of it. Just keep following the story and a lot of this stuff will start to make more sense along the way. Of course this means there is tons upon tons of backtracking and more backtracking to hit everything as it all starts making sense. I think by the time it all starts falling into place you'll know whether or not you just want the core story or to tackle everything the game has to offer. If it's the former, you can skip a lot of the backtracking.
Old 11-27-18, 07:49 AM   #199
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks everyone...I reached and did The Summit defeating The Dragon...that was a bit intense. The Trek Thru The Mine....probably one of the better missions in any game I've done. I really felt like it was some huge ongoing mine & caves right out of Lord of the Rings. Whoever did the visuals for Rock & Stone alone deserves an award....and the ones who did the metal especially on that ship thing in the middle of the lake.

I like to explore the parts as much as posible, just don't know like these "Realm Tears" too early to tackle and meant for later. Like I have one to take down some Thor Statue but not sure if to do now. When I pull up the map I see a lot of these Door Portals and most I cannot go to yet.

I got asked last night by another who got Fallout 76 if I was playing it anymore...it's been shelved for a week now....and told her no, just can't when after playing GoW and AC; Origins...both of which have far more to keep me playing in terms of stories and depth. GoW has been impressive on all fronts but the story, jouney of Kratos and his Son has been something...the opening of the game really sort of set the tone. I can easily see why the game got scores of 9.5 and 10.

...and one final note...I haven't had this much fun with a certain weapon like the Leviathan Axe since using the Lancer Rifle to saw enemies in half in Gears of War. Just throwing and having it snap back is one of the best weapon mechanics I've seen....along with some of the Executions Kratos does....another reason I can't go back to Fallout 76 which combat & movement feels & looks like some 10+ yr old game.

Old 11-27-18, 09:54 AM   #200
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
thanks everyone...I reached and did The Summit defeating The Dragon...that was a bit intense. The Trek Thru The Mine....probably one of the better missions in any game I've done. I really felt like it was some huge ongoing mine & caves right out of Lord of the Rings. Whoever did the visuals for Rock & Stone alone deserves an award....and the ones who did the metal especially on that ship thing in the middle of the lake.

I like to explore the parts as much as posible, just don't know like these "Realm Tears" too early to tackle and meant for later. Like I have one to take down some Thor Statue but not sure if to do now. When I pull up the map I see a lot of these Door Portals and most I cannot go to yet.
Like slop101 mentioned before, don't worry about what you can or can't do right now. Just keep playing, eventually anything and everything you probably have a question on will open up, be explained, or make sense late in the game.

Sponsored Links