Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

For handheld that should be a nice upgrade from LCD to OLED. Also slightly bigger screen size (current is 6.2”). Curious about battery life. That’s the main thing I want improved.

To be honest though I have my launch Switch and my girlfriend has a Switch Lite. I don’t see myself buying this upgraded Switch at launch. Maybe when there’s a price drop.

Probably not the upgrade many wanted, but I don’t think it sounds bad either. Just not enough to be a day one purchase.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-17-21)
Old 07-06-21, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
For handheld that should be a nice upgrade from LCD to OLED. Also slightly bigger screen size (current is 6.2”). Curious about battery life. That’s the main thing I want improved.

To be honest though I have my launch Switch and my girlfriend has a Switch Lite. I don’t see myself buying this upgraded Switch at launch. Maybe when there’s a price drop.

Probably not the upgrade many wanted, but I don’t think it sounds bad either. Just not enough to be a day one purchase.
They didn't mention the battery so I'm guessing it's the same, which means the overall life will be worse than the original due to the screen.
Old 07-06-21, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
They didn't mention the battery so I'm guessing it's the same, which means the overall life will be worse than the original due to the screen.
I'd be surprised if they didn't upgrade the battery at least to get comparable playtimes with the current switch, even if they don't promote it. Even the mid life switch battery upgrade was basically put out with little fanfare.
Old 07-06-21, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

OLED usually requires less power I thought? Either way, Nintendo officially lists battery performance as identical to the previous model.

"**Nintendo Switch system (OLED model) is compatible with the full library of Nintendo Switch games. However, the system will not cleanly fit within all the design parameters of the Nintendo Labo series. There may also be games where the game experience may differ due to the new capabilities of the console, such as the larger screen size."

They're both Lithium-ion battery / 4310mAh
Old 07-06-21, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Weird that the processing speed hasn't been increased. I knew after the dismal sales of games exclusive to the "New 3DS" that they weren't going to fractionate the market again, but thought they would at least somewhat improve the performance.
Old 07-06-21, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can’t imagine many games being impacted that much by a slightly bigger screen. I’m glad that this isn’t a necessary upgrade where it sounds like the new Switch will be needed to play certain games.
Old 07-06-21, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It shouldn't make a difference at all since the resolution is the same
Old 07-06-21, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Unless there is some smoking deal like GameStop offered in trade in for new one, I don't see much of a reason to upgrade. I haven't played my Switch in ages and the only time I did portable gameplay was in trio to Hawaii a few years ago.
Old 07-06-21, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, now that I read up on it, the only real change being the bigger OLED screen with the same resolution and same horsepower is kind of offputting, especially because it probably means the dreams of a true Pro version are probably dead (unless Nintendo is crazy).

They finally caught up to the Vita though. Good for them.

edited to add: sorry, I forgot about the other revolutionary new features: the wired LAN built in and a better-than-absolutely-crappy stand.
Old 07-06-21, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Notable changes with the OLED Switch:
  • 7" OLED screen in the same size device (less bezel)
  • Wired LAN port on dock
  • Adjustable stand that goes the width of the device
  • 64 GB internal storage (vs 32GB in other models)
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/compare/

It's probably not worth upgrading over your existing, but if you're in the market for your first Switch, or an additional one, it may be appealing to some.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (07-06-21)
Old 07-06-21, 10:26 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's probably not worth upgrading over your existing, but if you're in the market for your first Switch, or an additional one, it may be appealing to some.
that sums it up nicely. Disappointing announcement. I would have bought one if it was something more substantial, but these features are of no real value to me.
Old 07-06-21, 10:36 AM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts

I have a launch Switch (May 2017) and a Switch Lite (March 2020)... with this announcement I will more than likely get the upgrade to add to my consoles.

The Switch gets so much attention in our house, it will be a good thing.

The new features are worth $50 to me... and they better have fixed the joycon drift issue. 😉
Old 07-06-21, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess to me it’s not so bad because I feel like this is just a moderate upgrade while we wait for Nintendo’s next new console. They could have done more with it, but this way it doesn’t make it seem like if you have a Switch you need to upgrade.

Probably the thing that many wanted is 4K, but really Nintendo isn’t known for powerhouse games that really rely on that type of output.

This feels more like if you really feel the need to upgrade or are in the market for one for the first time then this is for you. Switch is already four years old so I imagine a couple more years so Nintendo will announce the true successor to Switch.
Old 07-06-21, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here come the misleading headlines to make people think they need to upgrade. What exactly does Metroid "take advantage of" which literally every other game doesn't?

Old 07-06-21, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I have a launch Switch (May 2017) and a Switch Lite (March 2020)... with this announcement I will more than likely get the upgrade to add to my consoles.

The Switch gets so much attention in our house, it will be a good thing.

The new features are worth $50 to me... and they better have fixed the joycon drift issue. 😉
Wait, aren't the joycons the exact same, though? I mean these have to be at least compatible with the older joycons.

One other thing to keep in mind: sharing digital games between two switches is not that much of an issue but sharing between three switches (or more accurately, playing the same game on three switches simultaneously) does not work the same way.
Old 07-06-21, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, aren't the joycons the exact same, though? I mean these have to be at least compatible with the older joycons.
No change to joycons. The console is the same size as the current, just smaller bezels to get the larger screen.
Old 07-06-21, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No change to joycons. The console is the same size as the current, just smaller bezels to get the larger screen.
Yeah, so I'd think a fix for joycons is not going to be a thing, as dumb as that is.
Old 07-06-21, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I was just at GameStop and the sales clerk told me the price would be 50 bucks higher than the current Switch. I don't see anything that I feel the need to upgrade right now.
Old 07-06-21, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Here come the misleading headlines to make people think they need to upgrade. What exactly does Metroid "take advantage of" which literally every other game doesn't?

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/14...484156939?s=20
That article mentions "improved audio". Is that the case -- I hadn't seen anything about that.
Old 07-06-21, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Nintendo is announcing a new Switch model today with a larger 7-inch 720p OLED display. While rumors had suggested this new Switch would ship with a new Nvidia chip inside, this new OLED model is mostly a screen upgrade. Nintendo lists this Switch OLED model as only supporting 1080p via TV mode, and rumors had suggested 4K support, thanks to a rumored Nvidia chip upgrade. The Switch OLED model will go on sale for $350 starting on October 8th.

Other than the new screen, this revised model includes an adjustable stand for tabletop play, 64GB of built-in storage (up from 32GB), a new dock with a wired ethernet port built in, and improved audio for handheld or tabletop play. Nintendo only mentions “up to 1080p via HDMI in TV mode” for the TV dock, so the rumored 4K mode isn’t part of this OLED Switch.

Nintendo has confirmed to The Verge that there are no major internal changes to the CPU or memory. “Nintendo Switch (OLED model) does not have a new CPU, or more RAM, from previous Nintendo Switch models,” says a Nintendo spokesperson.

Elsewhere, there’s little else changed over the original device. Nintendo says battery life on this new OLED Switch will be up to nine hours, the same amount as the current Switch. This OLED Switch is slightly longer than the original and also slightly heavier at 0.71 pounds (0.32kg) versus the 0.66-pound (0.29kg) weight of the original Switch.Original Joy-Cons will all work with this new Switch, and all existing games will run on this new OLED model.

Nintendo is also offering both black and white units when the Switch OLED model ships later this year. The new dock will also work with both the Nintendo Switch and this new OLED model.

This updated Switch has been rumored heavily in recent months, and Nintendo has chosen to reveal it well after the company’s E3 show that focused exclusively on new Switch games. Reports had suggested this new Switch would appear before E3 began last month.

The new Switch arrives nearly two years after ]Nintendo’s Switch Lite, a smaller and cheaper version of the Switch that you can’t hook up to a TV. The Switch Lite debuted at $199 in September 2019.

Nintendo’s Switch has sold incredibly well, with the console dominating US sales charts for nearly two years straight. Switch lifetime sales are at 84.59 million units shipped since its launch in 2017, a figure that is getting closer to the Wii console’s 101.63 million lifetime sales mark. This updated Switch model is bound to only help push sales even closer to the Wii.

Nintendo Switch OLED model will go on sale October 8th for $350 - The Verge

I guess if you didn't already own one, it would be ok, but Nintendo really didn't give Switch owners a reason to upgrade. JMO.
Old 07-06-21, 12:39 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, so I'd think a fix for joycons is not going to be a thing, as dumb as that is.
I have three sets of joycons (all purchased within the first year of the Switch) and stupid me thought that by now they would have updated the internal tech on the joycons to fix the drift.

Oh well.
Old 07-06-21, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Big ole Meh right there.

I know it was unrealistic to expect Nintendo to make something to go up against the PS5 or XSX, but to not do any kind of system upgrade is kinda bizarre. The software can be made to work on both, no need for exclusive games.
Old 07-07-21, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, since I play my Switch docked 99% of the time, an improved portable screen has zero incentive to me.
Old 07-07-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow it's been two years since the Switch Lite? I guess COVID condensed time for me because it didn't seem that long.
Old 07-07-21, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Switch Lite was September of 2019 if I remember right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.