Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 01-17-21, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

It seems like Nintendo might be "admitting defeat" with current gen ports. Both Control Ultimate Edition and the upcoming Hitman 3 are "Cloud Versions", basically operating like Stadia or Game Pass for Android games. You are required to have a persistent high speed internet connection to play, which kind of negates having a Switch as a portable game system. Honestly I am pretty surprised they have decided to explore this avenue of gaming. I imagine it could only appeal to those who don't have another console to play games on.
Old 01-17-21, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It seems like Nintendo might be "admitting defeat" with current gen ports. Both Control Ultimate Edition and the upcoming Hitman 3 are "Cloud Versions", basically operating like Stadia or Game Pass for Android games. You are required to have a persistent high speed internet connection to play, which kind of negates having a Switch as a portable game system. Honestly I am pretty surprised they have decided to explore this avenue of gaming. I imagine it could only appeal to those who don't have another console to play games on.
Nintendo isn't releasing either of those games so not sure why you think "they're admitting defeat". The developers don't want to do the work to get them running on the cartridges so they're doing an easier workaround. It's on the developers if they lose sales because of it.
Old 01-17-21, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Cloud Gaming launched for Nintendo Japan with Resident Evil VII and Assassins Creed in 2018. For some reason, the US side didn’t jump on until 2020.
Old 01-18-21, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
Cloud Gaming launched for Nintendo Japan with Resident Evil VII and Assassins Creed in 2018. For some reason, the US side didn’t jump on until 2020.
I imagine more infrastructure was required for the US, since it's so much larger, geographically.
Old 01-19-21, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

The file sizes of Xcom, Borderlands collection and Bioshock collections were all gigantic, and required downloads even if bought physically. I think it makes sense for some of these games because I'm sure people who haven't bought a big memory card were pretty upset/shocked by that.

But Nintendo games are usually small and super optimized, so I doubt they use it for their first party games anytime soon.
Old 01-19-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

First thing we got for all three of our Switches was a 256 GB memory card. The community at large needs to know about doing that.
Old 01-19-21, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Not sure if I'll ever need the space, but I went for a 512GB so hopefully I don't ever have to worry about it.
Old 01-19-21, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Nintendo isn't releasing either of those games so not sure why you think "they're admitting defeat". The developers don't want to do the work to get them running on the cartridges so they're doing an easier workaround. It's on the developers if they lose sales because of it.
Good point. Not Nintendo "admitting defeat" at all, but rather game developers giving up on the notion that they can successfully port graphics-intensive current-gen games to the Switch.

Wonder if the long-rumored Switch 2.0 is going to be able to play games that the current Switch can't, or if it will just offer better performance. They tried a few games exclusively for the New 3DS but that was way too confusing for consumers (the name did NOT help).
Old 01-19-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
Wow, that's pretty huge news to me. I had no idea that cloud gaming is/going to be a thing on the Switch. That's kind of interesting and just doesn't feel like something Nintendo would do. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-20-21, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

Trying to figure out if Clubhouse Games is worth $27.99. Lowest price ever.

Edit: I bit and I'm glad I did. Chess! Backgammon! That form squares games I loved as a kid! So much awesomeness. I already sank an hour in it. I need 11 hours to "get my money back" and that will be easy. I will spend more just on backgammon alone. I love that game and no one plays it.

OMG it has speed my most favorite card game ever. So far I've finished chess and backgammon and I'm doing speed next. Then mahjong. And the lines and squares one. And I love yahtzee. I'm sure I'll find more I love. I used to play Lugo as a kid.

I'm glad I didn't know how awesome it was, I'd have talked myself into paying full price. I bought those shop funds with 20 percent off so I paid 22.39 for it. The demo does not do it justice. They should have a demo where you could play each game a certain amount of times. I could spend 100 hours on speed alone. And I haven't even touched online play. I won't ace all as I don't have the dexterity for slot cars for instance.

Oh yeah and I love love love air hockey.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-20-21 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-25-21, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

Well still playing clubhouse. I'm currently addicted to that honey card game in which you get ace through 10 first. So stupid of a game and so addictive. Mostly luck with a little bit of skill.

Also finally got into Mancala after hearing about it for years but never looking into it and I love it. I've already aced it. I win most times than not but I have to work for it. Such a simple addictive game that has a lot of strategy.

There is so much content there it's not even funny. So far I've put 4.5 hours into it. I haven't even tried some of the games yet.
Old 01-25-21, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Nintendo supposed to send you a message when they receive your Joycons? We finally shipped ours off several days ago.
Old 01-25-21, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Is Nintendo supposed to send you a message when they receive your Joycons? We finally shipped ours off several days ago.
Yes. The email should come from:
[email protected]

and have the title something like:
Confirmation of Receipt - Nintendo Repair Order #blahblahblah
Old 01-25-21, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, maybe it's slowed up due to "waves vaguely at the hellscape we're all living in right now".

tks
Old 01-27-21, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, we dropped off the box last week and I just got the confirmations this morning.
Old 01-29-21, 12:19 AM

The following 6 users liked this post by Decker:
Adam Tyner (02-04-21), milo bloom (01-29-21), Music (01-29-21), Sonny Corinthos (01-29-21), steebo777 (02-02-21), tanman (02-04-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-29-21, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Given the WiiU's utter failing on the sales market, I'm glad they're giving these titles another chance, but this is one of those times I wouldn't mind a trade-in program so I can send in my WiiU disc for the updated Switch version.
Old 01-29-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Every company does remakes/remasters, the frustrating thing about Nintendo is that theirs are always full price and they carefully control any price reductions on 1st party games.

I think it's unfair to lump Zelda in there, though. I realize they probably designed it for the WiiU and then moved development over to the Switch, but for that game, at least, I didn't buy it twice.
Old 01-29-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The difference is any other company's output doesn't suffer because of a remaster. Where is Mario Kart 9? Pikmin 4? (announced almost 5 years ago) A new Donkey Kong game? No, they're trotting these out like they're new releases.

*edit - just remembered we got the $100 real world MK game.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (01-31-21)
Old 01-29-21, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, we had to pass on that Mario Kart game because we live in a condo without enough floor space to lay out the track, plus it's all carpeted.
Old 02-04-21, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Spoiler:
That's hilarious and so true.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The difference is any other company's output doesn't suffer because of a remaster. Where is Mario Kart 9? Pikmin 4? (announced almost 5 years ago) A new Donkey Kong game? No, they're trotting these out like they're new releases.
I think no one likes to acknowledge it but a great contributer to the Switch's success was the utter failure of the WiiU. Nintendo was lucky because the noone played these fully developed and released games on the WiiU. So it's been pretty easy for them to release a steady stream of AAA titles because they've had this ridiculously convenient catalog of 1st party games just waiting for a re-release. Just tweak the controls a bit, add new features as needed and bam the big N has another $60 1st party title to release to Switch owners. Now I don't really begrudge them as they put a lot of money into the development of these games that likely didn't see any kind of a ROI with the WiiU so why not release it on the Switch. But can they develop those long awaited sequels that they've been teasing for forever as well?
Old 02-04-21, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm sure they had so much of their R&D going into the hardware design, they were able to go a little easier on software. So, it's good that those titles are being seen, but how about a new 2D Metroid?

Also, we got our Joycons back super quick after they confirmed receipt. I'm wondering if they keep a stock of refurbished ones already fixed, and just match your colors and send those right back out?
The following users liked this post:
steebo777 (02-05-21)
Old 02-05-21, 09:40 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, I'm sure they had so much of their R&D going into the hardware design, they were able to go a little easier on software. So, it's good that those titles are being seen, but how about a new 2D Metroid?

Also, we got our Joycons back super quick after they confirmed receipt. I'm wondering if they keep a stock of refurbished ones already fixed, and just match your colors and send those right back out?
A new 2d Super Metroid. Yes please.
Old 02-05-21, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At least for my joycons, they sent the same ones back, I think they are just really quick at replacing the sticks. They do have a notice there that says you might get refurbished ones but how ticked would you be if you had like the animal crossing ones and they couldn't send you the same color back?
Old 02-05-21, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Now I'm picturing all of Nintendo's software teams just taking this generation off and spending most of their days playing hacky sack.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.