Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 09-08-21, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Oh, man, I finally decided to try the so-called "Adventure Mode" in Mario Golf: Super Rush, and it is brutal, just awful in my mind. Like, a game like Smash Bros. has an Adventure Mode, and even though it may frustrate me at times with the weird rules for certain matches (I mainly hate when the level is very windy or the ground is sleep-inducing, I almost always lose those ones), but at least it looked like Nintendo made a really solid effort. The one in the golf game is incredibly lacklustre, and often times you have no idea where to actually go, you just walk around and keep asking characters questions til you find the right one. And the levelling up? It doesn't really seem to affect me at all, as I'm really not going to use the Mii character much, if at all, anyway. I'll stick with the Nintendo characters.

I also had to play/try this "Speed Golf", as it's part of the Adventure Mode. I had avoided it before because the concept just didn't appeal to me, and I really, really hated it. Like, having to run to where your ball lands is just stupid to me. Maybe if you're playing with buddies sitting on the couch, but I really could care less about running, knocking one of my opponents over, then going to play my lie. The concept sounds kind of interesting, but just doesn't work. And I don't know how you could make it work. Really the only mode I play is the regular Stroke Play. That's it. I really hope Nintendo releases more content later on as promised, or at least fine-tunes some its current short-comings. Like I said, still a fun game, and it's been criticized a bit too much, but man is there ever room for improvement...
Old 09-11-21, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely liking Super Mario: Odyssey more and more, and for the first time I found a Star that actually sent me back to a previous level, so at least now I understand why I can't get certain Stars, cause I remember staring at this one for hours, trying to figure out how to get it, only to learn that the only way to "get it" was to go to a level way far ahead, take a secret passage, and "BAM", it morphs you to the Woods Level again. Which would've been nice to know, but oh well. I'm no longer going to stress about seeing stars I can't seem to get, cause it looks like there are other ways...I will say this: Like all Mario games, I hate the snow/ice levels. Just hate the lack of traction and I know they're kind of a staple but I really hate those levels...But...

...the boss fight on the Island level was sweet, and satisfactory. And I absolutely loved the concert that was put on in Metro City or whatever it's called (beat that one without losing a single life, in one get-go, which is amazing for me)...Those are the reasons I play the game. Still find other parts ridiculously difficult, and annoyingly have to be sent back way too far back only to keep losing at the same damn place every time (or at least 8-10 tries, it seems) before I beat them, but oh well...I was kind of tempted to step back into Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but again, I don't get the hype. I'd walk around for what seemed like an hour or an hour-and-a-half and I'd barely see anyone...No towns to interact with. No people. Like, jesus, take a lesson from Skyrim...even if you don't like that game, at least it was DENSELY POPULATED...Zelda to me just seems lame in that regard...

Also tried to again pick up the Adventure Mode in Mario Golf, but I just can't stand Speed Golf. That mode is a joke. And why is it they messed with the trajectory of the balls? Like, I remember in previous games, if I had to get over a tree or something, I'd obviously pick the SW or PW, but now it's just a straight line, giving you absolutely no indication whether or not you'll make it over sans tree, and it often even automatically will select like a 3W even when you're in a sand trap...That makes no sense...Great job, Nintendo...great job, Camelot...I still like the game, but it's like a "kiddie" version of Mario Golf...idiots...
Old 09-13-21, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, got my first "Hole-in-One" in this new Mario Golf Game, which was surprisingly easy. Like, I think having "Toadstool Tour" for the GameCube, I might have, (might have) gotten one "hole-in-one" the whole time I had it. And we're talking like playing it like 4-5 years. Once. And yet I got one now in this new game, which just kind of shows how ridiculous this new game can be. Like, it would be interesting to show this game to my dad. He's a Mario Golf fan, going all the way back the NES. It's like the one, ONE game he'll actually play. And I remember him playing Toadstool Tour with us (he's actually the dude that finally unlocked I wanna say King Koopa or Donkey Kong, cause we couldn't do it). He was hilarious when he would play these games. Studying the lies, the winds, etc. Oftentimes me and my bro would just be like "Take a shot!" But he was methodical. For some reason, I don't think he'd have liked this game so much. Which is too bad...
Old 09-14-21, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,233 Posts

In the "About F'in Time" Department :
The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
Adam Tyner (09-14-21), DVDChris (09-14-21), tanman (09-16-21)
Old 09-15-21, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 305 Likes on 221 Posts

Never expected that to happen. And again begs the question since they could have done this all along for the past 4 years with a patch (which we all knew they could) why in the world did they wait this long to do it?
The following users liked this post:
steebo777 (09-17-21)
Old 09-15-21, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Uhmm.. cause Nintendo, duh!
Old 09-15-21, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

Received 384 Likes on 306 Posts

At least it’s not limited to only the new ones coming out.
Old 09-16-21, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 305 Likes on 221 Posts

I know Nintendo makes super strange decisions. I'm just surprised to actually see them reverse course on something like that. Usually they stick with their guns no matter what the public opinion (or even outcry) is.
Old 09-17-21, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 495 Likes on 378 Posts

Itís frustrating how Nintendo can be such an incredible place of creativity but at the same be such old fuddy duddies.