Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-20, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I am enjoying the heck out of ring fit. Blaming decker for that one. First day I did a level, second day I did two, third day I was having back spasms so I skipped it, and I've been doing one level a day since and I added a mini game today. It has Whack-a-mole! (or Whack-a-robot).
Old 09-10-20, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I'll have to remember if there were any controller specific design choices in those games, the controllers for all three systems were different, especially the Wii with the WiiMote, and the N64 with the middle trigger. I'm sure most of the basic gameplay should translate well enough to the joy con controls
It's going to be weird not having the Zt-rigger for ducking and long jumps. I remember using the Z-trigger constantly when I played Mario 64 originally. Long-jumping around was basically my default movement.
Old 09-10-20, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, the Z trigger on the N64 controller wasn't much different from today's left trigger. The N64 controller just put your hands really close together.
Old 09-10-20, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Played Mario Odyssey through the intro and hated it. Got through the mini-boss and that was too nerve-wracking. I don't need regenerating health, I need infinite health. And there's still maneuvering and hat throwing. I was still willing to play some of the first world until I saw Buffalo Bill (or whatever the bullets are called). That's when I was like, nope, I'm outta here. I still have NSMBUD next but I don't know why I even bother with Mario and Zelda games knowing I can't do them

If I had bought the last 4 games I got from Gamefly at the lowest price, that would have been the same amount as what I paid for a year of rentals. My free trial ended today and today my year officially started.

I AM kinda regretting buying Rabbids. I had time to rent it, I should have rented it and see if I played it through the end of the sale before buying it. I got stuck in a world and I have to go back with a guide to see where to find the next battle and I haven't gotten the enthusiasm to do it after over a week. But so far if my one regret purchase is $20, I'm doing good.

At least Animal Crossing has totally engrossed me. Right now I'm focusing on weed whacking the whole island. And I hate fishing.
Old 09-10-20, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I bought Mario Odyssey a month or so and played through the first few worlds. It feels like Mario was just kinda slapped onto a different game. I've enjoyed what I've played but it doesn't really feel like a Mario game. I'm sure I'm in the ultra microscopic minority on that one, but I felt the same about Wind Waker when it came out.

The best parts are the 3d -> 2d areas. They should have made an entire Mario game centered around that mechanic and made Odyssey an entirely new IP.
Old 09-11-20, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Are you playing Mario Odyssey on assist mode, Deb (I think so because you talk about regenerating health)? Because my four year old finished the game (took him a while but he did it) and it was one of the first games he played. I'm not saying that to shame anyone, but he's not like some videogame savante or anything he just took his time (without my help) to figure out how to play, and that easy mode let him do it step by step.

Assist mode lets you regenerate health by standing still, has arrows to guide you, prevents you from dying when falling into hazards and makes sure you can't drown. I thought it was a cool addition to the game because he wasn't quite ready for a regular mario game, even the 2d ones (though he did progress to those eventually).

I think I said it before but my switch basically belongs to my kids now, which I think is great. Part of it is that they're older (my oldest played the wiiu a little) but it's so family friendly that it helped introduce each of them to game mechanics without exposing them to the wonders of stuff like loot boxes and blood and gore. For instance my oldest loves Splatoon 2 (she can probably run circles around me). They can all play smash bros, even the littlest one, and you can adjust settings. They can all play mario kart with the "easy mode" settings. And of course you have stuff like Animal Crossing. My cousin's kid plays stuff like Fortnite and a ton of their classmates are in love with stuff like Roblox (and they do play Minecraft on the switch), but there's something that makes me happy that Nintendo games can still appeal to my kids.

As far as Odyssey goes, I don't find it any more jarring than, say, Sunshine or Galaxy and those mechanics.
Old 09-11-20, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep I'm using assist mode but you can still die before you regenerate. I've always hated playing something over and over again until you beat it. I've put 70 hours into Picross so far and loving it. I love being able to at least try all the games. Like I have Xenoblade on tap down the line to see if I cN through a bit before buying it.
Old 09-11-20, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

You should try Zelda: Link's Awakening. That one is way easier to play than any of the 3D ones.

Even with all the advances in 30 years, it's still one of my favorites.

I love Breath of the Wild, but it is a bit of a daunting game when you start it.

I'd also say give Bloodstaind: Ritual of the Night a try.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-11-20 at 09:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (09-15-20)
Old 09-11-20, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Ever since Mario 64, I have never been able to get into 3D style versions of games that started in 2D (or 2.5D like Zelda). My mind just cannot properly process the change to the different dimension. I would take a dozen New Super Mario Bros games over even the "best" 3D Mario game.
Maybe they're just not for some people.
Old 09-11-20, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think part of it is they aren't the same genre. Mario had largely been about platforming with twitch reaction and jumping, flying through the levels was half the fun. The 3D world games are more about exploration, collecting stars and figuring out how to traverse terrain. Zelda 64 was pretty close to the original Zelda 2.5 games, but that was the last one that came close to OG Zelda imho. The others operate at a much, much slower pace.

I found Mario 64 deadly boring when it first came out, but it's grown on me with time. For that matter, I actually find Super Mario World a bit boring too, that series peaked with #3.
Old 09-11-20, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think part of it is they aren't the same genre. Mario had largely been about platforming and twitch reaction and jumping. The 3D world games are more about exploration and figuring out how to traverse terrain. Zelda 64 was pretty close to the original Zelda 2.5 games, but that was the last one that came close to OG Zelda imho. The others operate at a much, much slower pace.

I found Mario 64 deadly boring when it first came out, but it's grown on me with time. For that matter, I actually find Super Mario World a bit boring too, that series peaked with #3.
Right, they are very different. And I'd say that the 2d ones are actually a lot harder overall. But there's a reason they still make both.
Old 09-12-20, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
You should try Zelda: Link's Awakening. That one is way easier to play than any of the 3D ones.

Even with all the advances in 30 years, it's still one of my favorites.

I love Breath of the Wild, but it is a bit of a daunting game when you start it.

I'd also say give Bloodstaind: Ritual of the Night a try.
I don't think a metroidvania game is right for me I had trouble with the first metroid with moon jumps, invincibility, and unlimited rockets and all guns. I also never beat the original Legend of Zelda even with unlimited hearts, items, and money. I didn't even beat the original SMB even with invincibility because I never got past the gaps in 8-2.

Picross S3 seems soooo much easier than S2. I'm about 17 hours in so far, of which about 3.5 each has been the color ones and 120 out of the 150 clip ones. I have about 1 hour left of clip ones and estimating at least 10 hours for the mega picross that puts me at around 28 hours and S2 took me 34 and didn't have the 30 color ones. I used hints on two of the regular picross ones which I didn't do with S2 (out of 150 puzzles).

I've put in almost 3 hours into Animal Crossing. I paid off the tent and I'm almost a third of the way in paying off the house. I weeded out the whole island. I fished some, caught bugs, sold fruit. I haven't figured out how to get the different types of wood and nuggets but I don't want to read about it, for some reason this time I want to figure it out myself I figure I need a hatchet or ax of some sort but it hasn't been there for sale yet and I don't have a DIY recipe for them yet. I think I need the slingshot for the balloon presents but I don't have the necessary wood yet. I know I need a shovel for the stuff in the ground like the stars and the golden glow. I planted a couple trees and one is growing. I haven't figured out how to get to the second level up of terrain where the flowers are. So now I'm stuck figuring out how to get all the stuff to build the new store.

I was there at 1a demanding, it's the next day, where's my house
Old 09-12-20, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

There's an Animal Crossing New Horizons thread. Lots of info and activity there.
Old 09-12-20, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
There's an Animal Crossing New Horizons thread. Lots of info and activity there.
Yeah I've posted some by now it's mostly dead sigh
Old 09-12-20, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

That thread will be more active with the next update, but Animal Crossing as a game is kind of in a lull right now. My wife's giving her island a Fall makeover and trying to get more of the seasonal recipes, but otherwise, it's pretty much business as usual.
Old 09-12-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I don't think a metroidvania game is right for me I had trouble with the first metroid with moon jumps, invincibility, and unlimited rockets and all guns. I also never beat the original Legend of Zelda even with unlimited hearts, items, and money. I didn't even beat the original SMB even with invincibility because I never got past the gaps in 8-2.
FWIW, Castlevania/Bloodstaind is much more straight forward (and easier) than Metroid, but i get what you're saying

Old 09-12-20, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Yeah I've posted some by now it's mostly dead sigh
People are still playing. If you post needs/wants/questions in there it will spark discussion.
Old 09-13-20, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So thanks to Decker I'm now the proud temporary holder of Pokemon Let's Go Eevee. I'm an avid Pokemon Go player for over four years now since release. There's a certain Pokemon you can only get through a link up with the Switch game (you CAN get it without but it involves an outlay of either a lot of time or money). You have to play through Fuschia City which I understand is three quarters of the way in. Once you do, then you can link up and from THERE it's about 5 weeks til I have enough candy to evolve 3 times (want a total of three for the battle leagues and Team Go Rocket fights). If I get to three quarters of the way and then I have to wait five weeks I may as well finish it. It activates spawns you can then catch in the PoGo game but you can only activate once a week. It used to be a max of 70 candy a week and you need 400 candy per evolve but because of COVID changes lures last twice as long and are more effective so I hear you can get around 280 candy a week and I need 1200.

I have never played a video system Pokemon game (I bought 2-3 for the 3DS but never played it). I'm not sure how I feel about the game. I don't like it, but I don't necessarily hate it. Will prob not buy any Pokemon games in the future. And part of it is that if I'm going to spend time on Pokemon I want it to be in PoGo. So I'll trudge through it. When I was catching my first Pokemon I'm like I'll never learn how to throw in the center with this and then well I learned in Pogo I will prob eventually learn it here and an hour later I'm catching like a pro. I'm not a motion control kinda person, I like my button mashing. I'm surprised it's not touch control through. And the menus in order to get stuff for battles is so tedious and everything is always a few menu sections in.

So yeah not terribly impressed.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-13-20 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-13-20, 10:10 AM

Pretty good deal here : Target is selling the Bioshock Collection for $29.99, both digital and physical versions. Getting those games, with all the DLC, on the Switch for $10 each is a heck of a deal and the sort of games I might just play in short bursts on the go from time to time.
Old 09-13-20, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Pretty good deal here : Target is selling the Bioshock Collection for $29.99, both digital and physical versions. Getting those games, with all the DLC, on the Switch for $10 each is a heck of a deal and the sort of games I might just play in short bursts on the go from time to time.
One caveat to this game (and Borderlands and Xcom) is that even if you buy the cartridge all take a huge amount of space on your memory card. It's something like 31 gigs if you have the cartridge, and 44 gigs if you go all digital.
Old 09-13-20, 11:40 AM

I didn't know how they did the cartridge, but I bought the digital version and it includes licenses for all three games. I just downloaded the first game. Will delete and then download the second, then the third one. Nobody needs all three on their Switch at the same time.
Old 09-13-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 405 Posts

I love the Bioshock series and I can't imagine a series least suited for playing in short bursts on a small screen.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Questyen:
Michael Corvin (09-15-20), tanman (09-15-20)
Old 09-14-20, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally figured out what you're doing with the Nintendo in the bathroom all this time.

What?

Playing pee-cross.

My husband, ladies and gentlemen.

And just hit 100 hours played across all games. Nsmbud should be in the mailbox and ssb should be here Wednesday.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-14-20 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
milo bloom (09-14-20)
Old 09-15-20, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I just discovered Pic-a-Pix (Picross). 2 main games, 109 dlc packs total for both of them, a grand total of 5508 puzzles for $312.89, including puzzles bigger than any I've ever done. I will complete every single one of them. First I have to finish s3 (less than 60 left of 480 but they're the hardest), then s4, kemono, nazarick, and this little one called Depixtion which is a lot harder than I thought and will take a while with huge puzzles.

At least I can buy the main two games first for 8 bucks for 300 puzzles each and just buy one dlc at a time until I finish it then buy the next one. Each dlc is 2 to 3 bucks.

Nsmbud was a bust. I gave up on level 1-2. That's what they call easy? And I was using the easy character.

I still have a love-hate relationship with Pokemon Let's Go. I've put about 2.5 hours into it but I have to grind for Pokemon to beat the water trainer.
Old 09-15-20, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.