Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dishonored - New IP

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dishonored - New IP

Bethesda did not develop the game. They are only the publishers.

I'm a few hours into the game, and even though I had read all the comparisons to Bioshock in reviews, I'm still shocked at how much like that game it really is. So far it feels like this could be the next entry in that series, only in an above-ground setting and with a bit more emphasis on stealth. It even looks the same.
Old 10-10-12, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1f2CnXn0Bb4?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-10-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I'm a few hours into the game, and even though I had read all the comparisons to Bioshock in reviews, I'm still shocked at how much like that game it really is. So far it feels like this could be the next entry in that series, only in an above-ground setting and with a bit more emphasis on stealth. It even looks the same.

Now I really can't wait to play it, hopefully sometime today.
Old 10-10-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Does the PC Version of Dishonored have built-in 360 controller support - ie GTA 4 and Borderlands? I know I can mostly just Map stuff out but the feature does tend to work better.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-10-12 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-10-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the game doesn't looks that good, maybe the textures or an old version of the graphics engine. I watched the video above, and it doesn't looks that much better in the PC.

I played like an hour last night. I tried to be stealth, it's kind of hard at the beginning. I kinda liking it, but too early in the game.
Old 10-10-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

It gets much better after you get your first powers. I was saying meh last night in the tutorial and then changed my mind today on the first real level.

I agree though about it not looking too good. I kept hearing reports about how the game looks beautiful. It's nothing special.

A lot of fun, though.
Old 10-10-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I just got through the powers tutorial and haven't had a chance to really dig too much into the game, but it's fun so far.
Old 10-10-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like a mash up of skyrim and assassins creed.
Old 10-10-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

According to a chapter listing I saw I'm probably about a 1/3 in to the game. It took me a really long time to get in to it. Now after completing the tutorial and a couple chapters it has really picked up. It still isn't awesome for me but I'm enjoying it a lot more than the first couple hours.
I have a feeling it gains a lot of steam as the game goes on and that's why it got the high review scores. If a game finishes strong it leaves that lasting impression on reviewers.
Old 10-10-12, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd give it a solid 9-9.5 easy.

People mention Bioshock and Deus Ex but getting a big Thief vibe from it.

That's a good thing.
Old 10-11-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Well the game doesn't looks that good, maybe the textures or an old version of the graphics engine. I watched the video above, and it doesn't looks that much better in the PC.
Yeah, the graphics don't really impress but I think it's probably since I recently finished Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3.

Anyhoo, if it's anything like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I think I'll wait for this game to drop to $20 or less before I consider giving it a go.
Old 10-11-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's my guess, that the longer you play this game, the better it gets, or the more you like it, kinda like Fallout or those kind of games.

I just finished the part, really at the beginning, where you have to go to sleep. I'm exploring a lot, reading all books, searching everywhere, opening everything that can be opened, so yeah, I will take my time.
Old 10-11-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got a bit further into the first real mission of the game after you get your blink ability. I got some rune stones (or whatever they're called) and upgraded my blink. Now, after playing a little more, I think I want to purchase the posession power instead. Looks like I'll have to start it over, but that's fine. It's fun, so I don't mind.
Old 10-11-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You don't need to start over. There are plenty of rune stones to be found for upgrades.
Old 10-12-12, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The possesion power is cool, but I wish you could make them kill other guards or commit suicide or whatnot.
Old 10-12-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
The possesion power is cool, but I wish you could make them kill other guards or commit suicide or whatnot.
Agreed. Almost done with my first playthrough and that would probably be my biggest issue with the game -- the powers just don't seem powerful enough nor do they last long enough, even when fully upgraded.
Old 10-12-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You don't need to start over. There are plenty of rune stones to be found for upgrades.
You're right, but I ended up starting that level over anyway. No biggie.

I just upgraded my possession to the second level, so I can now take over people. I was also under the impression that you'd be able to have a little more control over the person you're possessing, but it seems like it's a little more limited than that.
Old 10-12-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. Almost done with my first playthrough and that would probably be my biggest issue with the game -- the powers just don't seem powerful enough nor do they last long enough, even when fully upgraded.
How long was your playthrough?
Old 10-12-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished. A little bit to short in my opinion to get really high review scores. Course, COD does every year and it's a 5 hour campaign at best. However that game has MP and this doesn't. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed this game but I finished in just over 8 hours. A couple hours each night/day since Tuesday. I did a mix stealth and action so I'm sure if you did all stealth you could double the time.

I think one could play through twice but I'm not one of those types, now that I know how the story goes I don't really care.

Last edited by Barth; 10-12-12 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-12-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished it as well, basically killed everything in sight for my first playthrough, but I'll go through again for the 100% stealth/no kills achievements.

Originally Posted by Raul3
How long was your playthrough?
I have no idea since there's no in-game time tracking, but it was longer than I expected. There were at least 3 more lengthy levels after I thought I had reached the end.

It was way more than 8 hours, though. I'd estimate probably 25. But my playstyle is to explore every corner and find every collectible and item possible, so that usually adds a lot of time for me. Also, I saved frequently and reloaded a lot to try doing things in different ways, so that adds a lot more time.
Old 10-12-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, I saved frequently and reloaded a lot to try doing things in different ways, so that adds a lot more time.
I agree and I did the same thing. I didn't count that time in my play through. I'm an achievement whore so I saved beforehand and did things at the "right" time during the mission.

One of the game hints during the loading screen is "save your game often" and that's true. I learned that lesson early, and if there is any other knock on the game you should save frequently...however it does take yourself out of the game manually saving so often. At least you can save anywhere.
Old 10-12-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are a limited number of save slots, though. Not nearly as many as I would've liked, to be honest.

I should also mention that I read every single book, memo, and note I came across, and listened to all conversations. Those things add a good bit of time. I can say that the game did not feel short at all to me during my first playthrough, but I'm expecting the next one to be significantly faster now that I know what to do and have thoroughly explored the world.
Old 10-13-12, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a question. I'm on the first mission, in the area outside the Doctor's house, and I think one of the guards spotted the thug in an alley down below the bridge. For some reason he goes running down there. I look around a bit, come back and spot some rats chewing up a body below the bridge and then another guard comes up and he gets eaten.

So, even though I had nothing to do with it, do those deaths count against me? I haven't finished the mission yet and I'm trying to do a no kill playthrough.
Old 10-13-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's conflicting information out there, but to me it seems that as long as you didn't do anything to directly or indirectly cause the deaths, it shouldn't count against you. That doesn't mean it won't, but it shouldn't.

If there's any doubt, you should probably reload an earlier save. I have read that choosing to replay a mission after it's complete will void the achievements/trophies for no kills, no alerts, etc. That's unconfirmed too, though.
Old 10-14-12, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found an annoying bug. It's on the second mission and while it doesn't break the game, it does keep me from getting a bone charm, I think.

Spoiler:

During the second mission you have the option of visiting SlackJaw and performing a few tasks for him.

I already had the art dealer's safe combo, so when I returned the informant's audiograph it automatically gave him the combo and finished the main quest. The problem is he never gave me the key to the Captain's Chair Hotel, so now I can't get it. And my journal still has "Return audiograph to Slackjaw" as a sidequest objective.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.