Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dishonored - New IP

Old 10-06-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Dishonored - New IP

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I got sold on it while trading in fifty (yes, fifty) old games at Best Buy. The Video Games sales clerk kept raving about it and said he was a beta tester for the game. He said it was incredible and compared it to Oblivion and Skyrim.

I do hate when there are no early reviews for a new IP, but at least I'll have the option to return it if the reviews suck (which I doubt they will). You've got to be careful with New Egg because once a pre-ordered game enters the shipping process, it's yours forever. No returns allowed.
They can force you to keep a product you paid for even if you are willing to pay return shipping? That sucks if true.
Old 10-06-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 162 Likes on 130 Posts

NewEgg is a pain with returns in general. I'm sure plenty of folks have had no problem with them, I'm not one of them.
Old 10-06-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
They can force you to keep a product you paid for even if you are willing to pay return shipping? That sucks if true.
They tried to do that to me with RE6, said no returns, i told them I was going to dispute the charge and they e-mailed me a return shipping label about 2 hours later.

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 10-06-12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-06-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,112 Likes on 674 Posts

I was able to get them to take back Starhawk pretty easily with a phone call, but I'm a big customer with them -- not just games, but office computers and stuff. They reserve the right to refuse returns and it's in the Terms Of Service agreement you have to agree to before you place an order with them.
When push comes to shove, I think they'd agree with any unopened return, but they don't have to. I only preorder with them when it's a good deal and I'm 100% certain I want it (I.e. Skylanders Giants, Sly Cooper 4 or Halo 4 CE with $15 discounts each).
Old 10-06-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the game it's not like Fallout. It's more close to Assassin's Creed. Although I think it has some really lite RPG things. Kinda like Bioshock I guess.

After all Dishonored is a complex story-driven action adventure, that mixes elements of first person shooters, stealth games, and role-playing in a way that hasn’t really been seen since the glory days of System Shock, Deus Ex, and Thief on the PC.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/90...#ixzz28Y3z7ML7
Oh and the videogame reviewer, of the local newspaper, has been playing this game all week, and says that it's really good. So I really expect good reviews in general.
Old 10-06-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah, I think the guy said Fallout because it was the same company.
Old 10-06-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same parent company
Old 10-07-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems there was a leaked review that gave it 9.5/10 from CVG. There is also news of people getting the game early and beating the game in 4 hours, although the level designer stated on the Bethesda forums normal gameplay should be +/- 20 hours.

That said, I'm still picking it up Tuesday at BB this game has a Bioshock vibe to it that I like.
Old 10-07-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if it's 4 hours it seems like you can play it through multiple times in different ways that would make it worth re-playing.
Old 10-07-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Edison View Post
That said, I'm still picking it up Tuesday at BB this game has a Bioshock vibe to it that I like.
Same here. That Bioshock feel is what pushed me to pre- order this. After reading the designer quote in an earlier post about the total lack of boss battles, my excitement reached a whole new level. And considering the fact that I'm getting pretty burned out on Borderlands 2 , I'm really looking forward to getting this.
Old 10-07-12, 11:03 AM
gamer for life

the cvg review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUfe67noLcY

calls it game of the year
Old 10-07-12, 11:44 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 194 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd View Post
the cvg review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUfe67noLcY

calls it game of the year
wow. that looks and sounds great! slow burner gamers game.
Old 10-08-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Destructoid: 9.0/10
Dishonored is that game of 2012. It's the big intellectual property that comes to retail and shows up the competition by being bold, original, and -- more importantly -- brilliant. Easily deserving of its place among the BioShocks and the Borderlandses, Arkane's aggressive, non-aggressive, unsubtle, sneaky, thoroughly versatile tale of intrigue makes for the kind of game that reminds us this generation isn't all straightforward shooters and "me too" trend-seekers. Its level design is some of the very best, its willingness to let the player decide their own path is exhilarating, and the satisfaction gleaned from a mission well done leaves one hungry for more.

Some dated visuals and a conventional arsenal do little to hold back what a truly beautiful, multifaceted, and ultimately invigorating adventure Dishonored manages to be.
Kotaku
I would love to have been a fly on the wall during the pitch meeting for Dishonored. "Well, it's Deus Ex meets BioShock," someone undoubtedly said. "Oh hey, and let's throw in some Half-Life 2 'cause why not?"

It's a bizarre, eclectic blend, the type of combination that might seem too ambitious to work. But the resulting game is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Playing Dishonored feels like entering a designer's playpen. You're given a set of tools and encouraged to experiment with them, to break them, to explore and adventure and read and fiddle and sneak and kill. Freedom never felt so good.
Joystiq: 4.5/5.0
What makes Dishonored great are the mechanics made possible by the universe in which it exists. There is a level of replayability and creativity available here that isn't seen in most stealth action games. You aren't just figuring out how you need to get from point A to point B, but how you want to get there. Dishonored is a chat room and water cooler game, the sort where you'll remember your own choices after the game ends. I may not know how Dunwall came to be, but you can bet I'll be talking with friends about the time I've spent there.
Old 10-08-12, 12:56 AM
Banned

Holy shit, this sounds better than I imagined. This fall was looking a little light on truly great games, but this will do nicely.
Old 10-08-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been trying not to buy games until they drop in price (I just got Mass Effect 3, and I haven't picked up Borderlands 2 yet), but this is really tempting me ...
Old 10-08-12, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I've been trying not to buy games until they drop in price (I just got Mass Effect 3, and I haven't picked up Borderlands 2 yet), but this is really tempting me ...
There's a really, really good chance that we'll see a TRU Buy 2, get 1 Free sale next week. Since you don't have Borderlands 2 yet, I'd wait and get those two plus one more at the anticipated sale in a week.

A plus for folks that preordered it from Best Buy : Not only are you looking at the $20 Reward Zone credit (I already got mine from Borderlands 2), but if you hang onto your receipt, if there's a sale somewhere in the next month on this game, you could get the difference back as well.

Looking forward to this. Clearly, it's a winner.
Old 10-08-12, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
There's a really, really good chance that we'll see a TRU Buy 2, get 1 Free sale next week. Since you don't have Borderlands 2 yet, I'd wait and get those two plus one more at the anticipated sale in a week.

A plus for folks that preordered it from Best Buy : Not only are you looking at the $20 Reward Zone credit (I already got mine from Borderlands 2), but if you hang onto your receipt, if there's a sale somewhere in the next month on this game, you could get the difference back as well.

Looking forward to this. Clearly, it's a winner.
And Silver Premier members can pricematch for up to 60 days. I have been preordering almost everything on the $20 credit list just in case price drops in 60 days which it invariably does.
Old 10-08-12, 02:22 AM

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xn7BSmoPtK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
IGN 9.2 Review
Old 10-08-12, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm gonna grab this on Tuesday.
Old 10-08-12, 10:27 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 194 Likes on 168 Posts

88.50% with 23 reviews in...
Old 10-08-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 162 Likes on 130 Posts

http://gamerlimit.com/2012/10/review-dishonored/ is the sole low review so far, 7 out of 10...

The score doesn't bug me, but I can't understand what he's trying to say for half of the review.
Old 10-08-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised, I fully expected this game to be the game that promises so much, but falls apart on execution. Great news that it seems to have turned out well.
Old 10-08-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
And Silver Premier members can pricematch for up to 60 days. I have been preordering almost everything on the $20 credit list just in case price drops in 60 days which it invariably does.
Don't you have to be gamer club unlocked first, and the only way to do that is in store with a printout? So stupid that I can't join the gamer club via their website.
Old 10-08-12, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Don't you have to be gamer club unlocked first, and the only way to do that is in store with a printout? So stupid that I can't join the gamer club via their website.
You can, though. I joined via the RewardsZone site.
Old 10-09-12, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Way to early to give a fair judgement but I have to say it seems pretty good. I'm just past the "prologue' and in to the main campaign a bit. I'm probably about 3 hours gameplay in. Not sure how anyone could finish it in 4 hours.
Ran in to a couple glitches already which was a bummer but it's Bethesda. To me it's like Skyrim with a bit more action and strategy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.