Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dishonored - New IP

Old 10-16-12, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dishonored - New IP

Finished my second playthrough, zero kills and zero detections. This took quite a bit of saving and reloading. But it was significantly faster the second go around. I'm glad that I did the more action-packed route the first time, as it allowed for more exploration and learning the levels. The best paths for stealth and no kills also lead to skipping some important story points. (Protip: don't even visit Granny Rags early in the game if you want to go this route.)

I went for the "no purchasing or upgrading any rune powers" achievement this time as well. So basically, the only tools at my disposal were choking, sleep darts, and level 1 blink. This actually made the game a bit boring, unfortunately, so I think it's an achievement that is detrimental to the overall experience. It was interesting to see the resulting story differences, though.

I'm hoping the game sold well enough to warrant a sequel. The world has a very rich and well-conceived fiction behind it, and there's plenty of room for more stories to be told.
Old 10-22-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, I'm doing the exact opposite. My first time through I played no kill and the only upgrade I got was Blink 2. The other non-lethal powers all seemed too much like cheating. Now I'm going through killing everyone and trying out all the powers, though I'm still playing in a "ghost" style instead of frontal assault.

I really enjoy the stealth play style, so I don't think it was too boring, though I did wish for some more subtle stealthy powers. I'm probably not going to go a third time, but if I were I might try a true ghost run with no detection and no knockouts. With timestop it's probably possible.
Old 10-23-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll be firing this game up tonight. I won't have the patience for "no kills"... so I plan to kill away.
Old 10-23-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I'll be firing this game up tonight. I won't have the patience for "no kills"... so I plan to kill away.
I'm really having trouble getting used to the rhythm of sword fighting/ blocking/ counterattacking in this game. The first person p.o.v. just isn't working for me.
Old 10-23-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The game isn't really designed for direct hand-to-hand combat, especially with more than one enemy at a time. Combat controls are more defensive than anything. Even on a "kill everything" playthrough, it helps to use a little stealth plus a lot of different tools and powers to eliminate everything. Don't neglect rewiring machines whenever possible.
Old 10-23-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
The game isn't really designed for direct hand-to-hand combat, especially with more than one enemy at a time. Combat controls are more defensive than anything. Even on a "kill everything" playthrough, it helps to use a little stealth plus a lot of different tools and powers to eliminate everything. Don't neglect rewiring machines whenever possible.
I'm not too far in but I am starting to slowly figure that out. I think I was too deeply into the Borderlands 2 vibe after playing that for the last month. Last night I had a nice moment where I just waited for three guards to cross paths and then threw a grenade right behind them.
Old 10-24-12, 11:24 PM

Hi DVDTalk,

Dev here. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this thread... I've been ummm.. distracted by Borderlands 2 and then X-Com.

Harvey Smith posted some tips for getting the most out of Dishonored on his website. I will repost them here (since I am not allowed to post URLs yet until I have at least 30 posts)
  • You can change difficulty whenever you want. If the game is too hard (or too easy), switch difficulty levels. Difficulty setting changes enemy damage, enemy visual perceptiveness, and player-character potion effectiveness.
  • You can turn off almost every part of the HUD UI, including goal markers. If youíre a minimalist, experiment with that.
  • Look up! Go vertical when you can, along ledges, rooftops, pipes, etc. You can often sneak past an encounter that way or find an alternate entry or path.
  • Donít forget to lean! If your body is behind something like a wall, you can lean out to peak ahead. We abstract that so that your body stays hidden.
  • Our stealth model is mostly based on enemy view cones and occlusion. Darkness matters at a significant distance, making you more hidden. Up close, the enemies facing and field of vision matters most. (Stay behind them or behind something that blocks their view.)
  • If youíre playing on the Xbox 360, install the game to the hard drive!
  • For PC, you can map your powers, weapons and gadgets to a series of # hotkeys.
  • On console, donít forget that you can map D-pad hotkeys for 4 weapons, powers or gadgets.
  • Try playing the game with stealth. Sneaking, playing nonlethally, or even ghosting the missions adds even more tension and drama to situations.
  • Eavesdrop on unaware enemies to absorb more background information related to the world and the events unfolding around you. Sometimes eavesdropping updates your objectives. (Similarly, listen to street speaker announcements and read posted signs.)
  • If you use combat, donít forget to block and counter-attack while an enemy is off-balance.
  • Often characters have followup lines if you hang out and listen to them (or click on them further). Youíll absorb more about the world this way.
  • Notes and books also add a lot of background info on the world and events.
  • Set your brightness so the blacks are really black. The game looks dramatically better.
  • Donít forget to assign your bone charms. Review them periodically.
  • If you like the experience, consider replaying with different powers and a different approach. During a second play-through you will know more about the world and discover new areas.
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Does the PC Version of Dishonored have built-in 360 controller support - ie GTA 4 and Borderlands? I know I can mostly just Map stuff out but the feature does tend to work better.
Yes. The PC version will dynamically detect if the last input came from your Xbox controller or keyboard/mouse and internally switch control schemes during runtime.

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Well the game doesn't looks that good, maybe the textures or an old version of the graphics engine. I watched the video above, and it doesn't looks that much better in the PC.

I played like an hour last night. I tried to be stealth, it's kind of hard at the beginning. I kinda liking it, but too early in the game.
The PC version is the only version where framerate is unlocked so that you can actually get higher than 30fps. I imagine they will probably release a texture pack, too... but don't quote me on that.

Stealth can be challenging when you are first getting used to the rules... especially without Blink. The AI can hear you unless you walk crouched. Line of sight has more bearing on AI awareness than lighting, so don't get too comfy in dark places... they can still see you if they are close enough.

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
I have a question. I'm on the first mission, in the area outside the Doctor's house, and I think one of the guards spotted the thug in an alley down below the bridge. For some reason he goes running down there. I look around a bit, come back and spot some rats chewing up a body below the bridge and then another guard comes up and he gets eaten.

So, even though I had nothing to do with it, do those deaths count against me? I haven't finished the mission yet and I'm trying to do a no kill playthrough.
That death will not count against you. Guards and Thugs systemically kill each other on site beyond your control. Rats only count against you if they came from your magic.

Originally Posted by redcat View Post
I'm really having trouble getting used to the rhythm of sword fighting/ blocking/ counterattacking in this game. The first person p.o.v. just isn't working for me.
Several members of the dev team were also having a problem with this, and so we made the parry/counterattack extremely permissive with bias towards early blocking rather than late blocking. I think you can start your block about 0.8 seconds before their sword makes contact. Also, if you block twice in a row, they will do attacks that cannot be blocked, like a kick. Be sure to mix it up.

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
Early in development, you were basically unstoppable with the sword as your swings were fast enough to create an impenetrable wall of death. Your attack would either interrupt their attack or cause swords to clash together and nullify their attack. We call this the "chopping wood" effect where you can basically go to any enemy and mash buttons until they die. We wanted to make sure that you were forced to use a variety of tools to accomplish your mission instead of just button-mashing everything with your sword. The mantra for the combat design of the game is that you can go toe to toe with one or two enemies but you need to realistically assess the situation when there are multiple enemies using varied attack patterns trying their best to flank you if you stop moving. Your awareness of surroundings is intentionally meant to be an important mechanic of the combat. Tougher enemies are designed to overwhelm with superior numbers unless you use your weapons, abilities, and stealth to tip the odds in your favor.
Old 10-24-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for your input. The game is fantastic and I've been recommending it whenever possible.
Old 10-24-12, 11:59 PM

Thank you, MoviePage!
Old 01-24-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Just started playing this. I like it even though I am not really sure what I am doing!!

I am at the first mission but should have hung around the tavern area a bit longer and collected everything there. After reading a bit on this I see I missed a lot of stuff. So far I have killed too many people to try the stealth version. Maybe on another playthrough. However I really never do that so...
Old 01-24-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

took me til about halfway through the game before i fully grasped how to play it the way I wanted to.

this game has to be near impossible to beat without killing anyone or upgrading any abilities. i am almost finished.
Old 01-24-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
So far I have killed too many people to try the stealth version. Maybe on another playthrough. However I really never do that so...
It's worth it. The strategies behind having a high kill count with assassinations and powers is vastly different than using similar tactics to sneak around and not kill or be killed, so it's practically like two different experiences. Plus, you learn things about the maps during the first run that'll come in handy with the second.
Old 01-24-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yah, I tried to remain stealthy for a while. But I dont have the skill/patience to keep stalking and hiding bodies. so i turned it into a kill-crazy-rampage by the 2nd mission.
Old 01-28-13, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
It's worth it. The strategies behind having a high kill count with assassinations and powers is vastly different than using similar tactics to sneak around and not kill or be killed, so it's practically like two different experiences. Plus, you learn things about the maps during the first run that'll come in handy with the second.
Thanks for that info. I probably will try that.
Old 01-28-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redbill View Post
yah, I tried to remain stealthy for a while. But I dont have the skill/patience to keep stalking and hiding bodies. so i turned it into a kill-crazy-rampage by the 2nd mission.
Lol. Same thing here. I'm actually really surprised this one hasn't gotten more attention.
Old 04-18-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally finished this. I have no idea how anyone could go the low chaos/stealth route.

As someone mentioned I don't think I would have the patience for it.

Very fun game though and would purchase a follow-up should there be one.
Old 04-18-13, 12:25 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Finally finished this. I have no idea how anyone could go the low chaos/stealth route.
It's funny because that's my natural play style so I did that my initial playthrough without even trying. Going for high chaos was much more difficult for me because I had to train myself NOT to be a ninja. But I love that the game made them such different experiences that neither approach felt 'lesser'.
Old 08-11-13, 02:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 194 Likes on 168 Posts

how is this game as a pick up and play?

i think i want to start this and i am itching for 1st person, but wondering if it is hard or easy to just pick up, learn for a bit and play...

thanks for comments...
Old 08-11-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not easy.

It's a great game, a great story, but it's not easy. It's not the hardest game this generation, or something like that. But it has a learning curve, and you have to pay attention, or you will die a lot.
Old 08-12-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

I bought this months ago and shelved it after an hour or so. I have a really bad habit of doing that. However, I decided to get it out a couple of days ago and start playing it again. I went for the hardest achievements on the first playthrough and knocked them out. All I have left now are two trophies and the plat is mine. They are two seemingly simple trophies but they are giving me a hard time for some reason.

They are:
Spoiler:

1. Harm's Way (Cause 5 unintentional suicides.)
2. Back Home (Throw a grenade back at someone and cause their death.)

The Plat is finished! I will likely start working on Hitman: Absolution next and see if I can finish it. I really wish I could get myself to wait on these titles until I am actually ready to play them instead of buying them when they are released and allowing them to marinate for many months while costing me 20-40 bucks more. I will say that Dishonored was one of best games for me to work on achieving the Platinum. Reminded me of a mix between Bioshock, Fallout 3, Assassin's Creed and a bit of The Saboteur thrown in. Great game!

Last edited by dsa_shea; 08-12-13 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Updated status
Old 10-31-13, 04:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Saw the GOTY edition for $40.
Worth it??
Old 10-31-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Saw the GOTY edition for $40.
Worth it??
Yes!
Old 10-31-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not for $40
Old 10-31-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Not for $40
Pfft!
Old 11-01-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the regular edition has been in the $15 - $20 range a couple times now, it's only a matter of time before the GOTY edition does as well. I don't know much about the DLC, but I could't imagine it would be worth paying that much extra for.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.