Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dishonored - New IP

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-12, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dishonored - New IP

Something about that gameplay trailer makes me think it's just trying to pass itself off as a good game. I have a strong feeling it's going to be mediocre. Can't really place my finger on why though.
Old 06-01-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The reason is because it looks like a mix of different, successful, games. In Youtube mentioned Bioshock and Half Life 2 mainly.

I'm not sure yet what to think.
Old 06-01-12, 11:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The amount of "gameplay" in the new trailer adds up to only about a minute. I prefer the original trailer.
Old 06-01-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The amount of "gameplay" in the new trailer adds up to only about a minute. I prefer the original trailer.
I see what you did there

Old 06-08-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

It's Bethesda, so I'll probably get it.
Old 08-03-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bethesda
Susan Sarandon, an Academy Award winner and five-time nominee, will make her videogame debut as the former aristocrat, Granny Rags – an intriguing old blind woman now deranged after years of street life. Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe-winner Brad Dourif takes on the role of the inventor Piero, creator of the iconic mask worn by Corvo as well as a wealth of gadgets Corvo can use. Emmy winner and Hollywood-icon Carrie Fisher can be heard broadcasting government propaganda over loudspeakers throughout the city of Dunwall, where the game is set.

The all-star cast continues with John Slattery ("Mad Men," "The Adjustment Bureau") who takes on the role of Admiral Havelock, a Loyalist who helps Corvo on his quest, as well as Michael Madsen who brings his videogame voiceover experience to the role of Daud, a mysterious assassin. Chloë Grace Moretz ("Kick-Ass," "Hugo") portrays Young Lady Emily, the Empress' daughter who is kidnapped after her mother's death while Lena Headey joins the cast as Calista, Emily's caretaker. In addition to the star-studded voice cast, Composer Daniel Licht ("Dexter") lends his musical talents to create the game's original score.
Old 08-06-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object id="vid_92f0ed61099c96ae849a39896d142f21" class="ign-videoplayer" width="468" height="293" data="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/06/28/dishonored-violent-gameplay-walkthrough"/></object>

<object id="vid_e9d5da587eeb75c45db67ffcaa400a8c" class="ign-videoplayer" width="468" height="293" data="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/06/28/dishonored-stealth-gameplay-walkthrough"/></object>
Old 09-14-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IGN gushes about a recent playthrough

"Why Dishonored is now my most anticipated game this year"
Old 09-25-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I think the game looks cool as hell, at the very least it's a bit different.
Old 09-25-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I already pre ordered.
Old 09-25-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm definitely in for this game. I think it's going to be the new genre definer ala Bioshock.
Old 09-25-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep.
Old 10-05-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is anyone picking this up on Tuesday? I'm very seriously considering it. It looks great, and I also very much like the idea of supporting a new IP, especially one that isn't taking the easy route by including a lot of the usual nonsense that I'm over as a consumer. No online passes, no code-locked content, no unnecessary multiplayer, no day-one or on-disc DLC or even a word about planned DLC -- all of this gives me a strong desire to vote favorably with my wallet.

Here's a new interview with the designer, regarding the complete lack of boss battles in the game:
We also, we faced some of that on Deus Ex I think. The thing is, we're very conscious of tropes in video games that are kind of lazy, frankly. Or dogmatic is the better word perhaps. You know: here's a boss, he reveals his weak spot, you gotta hit it three times and then three times again, whatever.

In the same way that we did not call the game steampunk initially, we called it sort of retro future. We're working with this world class industrial designer Viktor Antonov (Half-Life 2). Our art director [Sebastien Mitton (BioShock 2)], we call him a world class video game art director. Those guys are not just regurgitating steampunk elements seen elsewhere, they are designing things, right? And so Viktor did his thing and Sebastien did his thing, and only then people online started using the term steampunk.

And internally one of our tenets was no cliche steampunk elements. So no brass and rivets and guys in tin helmets or whatever the fuck. And it's fine if people see it as a very innovative take on steampunk, that's great, we don't mind that, it's just that one of our tenets was avoid this overly familiar—because god, if you're gonna spend X dollars on something and X years of your life, you don't have to do exactly what everybody else has done or what you've seen. You don't have to draw your inspirations from what else is on the shelf.

So roundabout way of answering, I guess, is that we never really felt the need for boss monsters. And it seems like a dogmatic feature. And sometimes it's brilliant, right? One of my favorite games of all time was Shadow of the Colossus. If you count those as boss monsters, then wow—way to take that whole feature and make it your whole game and do something utterly brilliant. And it's one of the best 100 games of all time in my opinion.

But in our case it wasn't the focus, and we are kind of careful about avoiding those kind of dogmatic tropes that video games are built on.
Old 10-05-12, 10:55 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

i'm very interested and have it on my wishlist, but may wait til some reviews come in to see if 1st day purchase or not. i still have Borderlands 2 to work through so very iffy now, but def. looks great and saw the preview on GameTrailers and looks varied and flat out fun.
Old 10-05-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

I have it pre-ordered from Best Buy. $20 in RZ credit with purchase, plus some DLC bonus, plus a USB Oil Lamp thing.
Spoiler:

And if the reviews aren't great, I can just return it unopened after I pick it up on Tuesday.
Scott, if you want to get in on the Best Buy GCU pre-order deal, you have to pre-order it by tomorrow.
Old 10-05-12, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
I have it pre-ordered from Best Buy. $20 in RZ credit with purchase, plus some DLC bonus, plus a USB Oil Lamp thing.
Spoiler:

And if the reviews aren't great, I can just return it unopened after I pick it up on Tuesday.
Scott, if you want to get in on the Best Buy GCU pre-order deal, you have to pre-order it by tomorrow.
ok, thanks. may do that now.

edit: preordered!
Old 10-05-12, 12:54 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the game coming from newegg for 47 bucks...it should fill my single player void for a while. The stealth videos look amazing...the action ones not so much...
Old 10-05-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Please don't be a pile of shit.
Old 10-05-12, 01:13 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Please don't be a pile of shit.
sorry (lol)
Old 10-05-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love original IPs, the last one that looked decent (had a single good TV ad) was Inversion and that wound up horribly.

I missed out on all the newegg deals, I'm debating if I should play this on PC, PS3 or 360... after seeing how good Max Payne 3 looked in respect to its PC version I think I may just stick with the PS3 version.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-05-12 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-05-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Spoiler:

Yeah, same here. Preordered today.

Not sure if I'll be able to finish Borderlands 2 before Tuesday, but will try my best.
Old 10-05-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Per-ordered it but it won't see the light of day until I finish Borderlands
Old 10-06-12, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

My father-in-law is raving about this game. He says the guy at Gamestop said it's just like Fallout.
Old 10-06-12, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
My father-in-law is raving about this game. He says the guy at Gamestop said it's just like Fallout.
uh oh, i never got into Fallout 3. i know same company but this didn't have a Fallout vibe at all. More like a suped up Assassin's Creed. now i am wondering...
Old 10-06-12, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

I got sold on it while trading in fifty (yes, fifty) old games at Best Buy. The Video Games sales clerk kept raving about it and said he was a beta tester for the game. He said it was incredible and compared it to Oblivion and Skyrim.

I do hate when there are no early reviews for a new IP, but at least I'll have the option to return it if the reviews suck (which I doubt they will). You've got to be careful with New Egg because once a pre-ordered game enters the shipping process, it's yours forever. No returns allowed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.