Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 06:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

It's being prepped for shipping and cannot be canceled. My estimated arrival date is March 30th. I wouldn't mind, except that I'm supposed to review the damn thing for this site, and now I can't until Amazon takes their sweet time getting it to me.

I'd buy one at Gamestop and return the Amazon copy to Gamestop when it arrived, but I'm pretty sure they scan the serial number, so I can't swap it like that.
Old 03-26-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I have to wait for Amazon to actually deliver it to me.
That's a bummer
Old 03-26-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Quack
Anyone still on the fence about this and thinking about just going and getting one tonight?
Are there midnight releases at Gamestop and such? I might consider it. Kind of want one but still not sure if it's worth the $250 bones.
Old 03-26-11, 08:02 PM
Banned by request

Several Gamestops are doing midnight releases, yes.
Old 03-26-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got the shipping confirmation from Amazon, it'll be here on the 29th.
Old 03-26-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

i was at best buy today and i was killing a little time. wanted to check it out but some old guy was messing around with the demo unit. wtf old people!
Old 03-26-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
I just got the shipping confirmation from Amazon, it'll be here on the 29th.
Same here. I also pre-ordered Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars earlier this week, so in theory I should be receiving $35 in credit from Amazon ($25 from the 3DS preorder + $10 for the game) in a day or two. Pick up Super Street Fighter IV for $5? Oh yeah!
Old 03-27-11, 01:56 AM
Banned by request

Damn it, mine still says shipping soon and delivery estimate of the 30th. My one hope is that usually all my Amazon orders come next day even when I select two day shipping, so hopefully that will be the case with this.
Old 03-27-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

After spending time at the Nintendo preview event at gamestop I had to cancel my preorder. For some weird reason the 3D effect makes me sick within a few minutes of playing. Tried different settings but had the same issue even with it only a quarter on. Really sucks because I love the DS, but can't justify $250 to own a 3DS to play the games in 2D.
Old 03-27-11, 12:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darkside
After spending time at the Nintendo preview event at gamestop I had to cancel my preorder. For some weird reason the 3D effect makes me sick within a few minutes of playing. Tried different settings but had the same issue even with it only a quarter on. Really sucks because I love the DS, but can't justify $250 to own a 3DS to play the games in 2D.
I had my first hands-on with it yesterday and had a similar experience. Initially I felt sick and had a slight headache but after a few minutes it went away. I had the 3D slider maxed to start with but then adjusted it down to about 1/2 way and I had no problems with it. You had to view it dead center to get the full affect, any slight move away from center and the image distorted quickly. I played Pilotwings and had a blast with it. Still not sold on it, though. I don't like the smaller screens compared to my DSi XL and even smaller screens when playing DS games which I would probably spend most of my time doing. One of the big things for me was being able to use the circle pad for all my old DS games. I just can't see spending $250 for a system just for the circle pad and on top of that have to play the games on a smaller screen. Think I'll wait and maybe they'll have a 3DS XL down the road.
Old 03-27-11, 12:44 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Mine hasn't shipped yet, either.
I ordered Nintendogs late last night since Nintendo is being stingy with review copies and within hours got a shipping email for it with a delivery date of 3/29. The system is still "shipping soon."
Old 03-27-11, 01:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I ordered Nintendogs late last night since Nintendo is being stingy with review copies and within hours got a shipping email for it with a delivery date of 3/29. The system is still "shipping soon."
Yeah, what's up with that? They've had these for well over a week and Amazon couldn't ship these on Friday? My 3DS is still "shipping soon".
Old 03-27-11, 01:39 PM
Banned by request

I stopped in at the Gamestop by my work and they let me mess around with a 3DS that an employee bought. The AR card stuff was very cool, as expected. For a system like this, you really need to get the hands on experience to see whether it's a good fit for you. I loved it.
Old 03-27-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

AR card stuff they demo'd on Jimmy Fallon the other night looked really cool.
Old 03-27-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 03-27-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a bit of a headache as well after just playing a demo in Best Buy.
Old 03-27-11, 05:17 PM

Sam's Club has a bundle of the system, Pilotwings and an accessory starter kit for $299. They had around 6 or so bundles left this morning.
Old 03-27-11, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So far today, I'm fine while playing a game in 3D (slider at about 80%), but I'm a little out of focus when I put it down and go back to normal vision
Old 03-27-11, 07:00 PM

Finally got to try this out at Best Buy this morning. It was a better experience than I had expected. I was quite impressed with the 3D. Like everyone else, I was playing Pilot Wings. The 3D doesn't really affect the game play at all, but the feeling was surprisingly immersive. I thought it would be gimmicky on such a small screen, but it really made a difference versus the 2D. The only real problem was the narrow range in which 3D was visible.

It wasn't the X or Y axis that was the problem so much as the Z. Moving the system closer to or away from your face really obscures the image and the effect. It probably helps when there isn't a heavy cord affixing the system to the display unit. I may have to pick one of these up this week.

I stopped short of buying one on the way out. Mostly because I was still pissed at wasting half an hour standing around as two kids played with the system while their mother was off somewhere. Fucking Best Buy.
Old 03-28-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

So you Amazon folks get your systems yet? Impressions?

I still have to go see one in stores. Are there demo units in Target or Game Stop? Best Buy is a bit of a drive for me.
Old 03-28-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty happy with the system so far. It's not perfect - battery life being the biggest problem - but for the most part, it feels solid and works well. You NEED natural sunlight coming in through the windows for things like taking 3D pictures or using the AR cards. But when it works, it's quite impressive.

As for the games, I have Steel Diver, Pilotwings, and the Ghost Recon game.

Steel Diver is pretty cool so far, but seems a bit thin, content-wise, unless additional levels unlock after the 7 that are initially shown on the menu. Still, it's fun, and the control scheme makes it stand out as something unique.

Pilotwings is a lot of fun, and out of the games I've played so far, it makes the best use of the 3D. Like Steel Diver, I have concerns over the amount of content. After maybe an hour or so of play time, I've already completed three of the five "tiers" of the game.

Ghost Recon is perhaps the biggest surprise so far. It was off my radar until positive reviews came along and pointed out the fact that it's a turn-based strategy game. It doesn't do too much with the 3D, but the gameplay is really solid so far. Characters, dialogue, story, etc. are all cheesy and forgettable, but the actual nuts and bolts of the gameplay mechanics make it quite enjoyable.
Old 03-28-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Amazon shipped mine yesterday, so no console until perhaps Wed. Still, with the $25 credit and some kind of free accessory, can't complain too much.

Doesn't seem to be much of a shortage; went to TRU last night to pick up some games and they had a lot of consoles left over. And this is scalper central.

So is Ghost Recon worth getting because the game is decent overall, or because it's decent as a launch game? I still have a ton of partially played turn based strategy games for the DS and PSP.

I did pick up Pilotwings and one of the Nintendogs releases. I'll pick up Street Fighter with the $25 credit, but not sure what to pick up with the $10 credit...

edited to add: seems like my 3DS from amazon just got delivered...

Last edited by fujishig; 03-28-11 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-28-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I tried out the demo unit at Target last night. I was pleasantly surprised. Pilotwings seemed to make good use of the 3D.

Still didn't seem worth the $250 though. It's a DSi with a gimmick.

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Pilotwings is a lot of fun, and out of the games I've played so far, it makes the best use of the 3D. Like Steel Diver, I have concerns over the amount of content. After maybe an hour or so of play time, I've already completed three of the five "tiers" of the game.
I debated taking part in one of the trade in deals but it all comes down to games and there isn't a single launch game that looks compelling to me. Pilotwings comes closest, but it still boils down to content, and as Gramps said, it doesn't seem like all that deep of a game.

I'm still interested in it for the first party games, but I think the inevitable hardware refresh with a better battery and lower price is more attractive at this point. Plus by then there will be a handful of games worth getting excited about.
Old 03-28-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
So is Ghost Recon worth getting because the game is decent overall, or because it's decent as a launch game? I still have a ton of partially played turn based strategy games for the DS and PSP.
I'm only about five missions in so far, so I can't really give a decisive recommendation. If you enjoy turn-based strategy games and you're in the mood for a new one, it will certainly scratch that itch.
Old 03-28-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We are featuring a 3DS on Wednesday for the talk show I produce, so Nintendo just sent me a review unit.

Gotta say it's a little cooler than I thought it was going to be. Just messed around for a bit with the AR stuff, the camera, the Face shooting game and Nintendogs but it actually seems pretty neat. Got a little bit of a headache and it takes me a second to fix my eyes but I don't seem to have problems finding a good spot for the 3D to work.

The AR stuff is the most impressive. There are some things I've seen for the iPad and iPhone that do something similar and it's just a really cool technology and the only real "point" I've ever seen for 3D objects in a 2D world.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.