Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Old 03-30-11, 02:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Are Chrono Trigger and Pilotwings ports of the SNES games or do they have updated graphics ?
Old 03-30-11, 04:18 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to the 3DS section of Metacritic, and only three games got a score of 75 or above. Street Fighter, Ghost Recon, and Ridge Racer. Ouch.
Old 03-30-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I popped in a DS game and it looked fine. The complaints seemed to come from the fact that the new top screen is wider than the old one, and so the games come up windowboxed. But they're not tiny, they're the same size as they are on the regular DS. The complaints are just silly.

The complaints about it being tiny are for when you load the DS games to play in their original resolution, hold select as the game loads.

Last edited by Brent L; 03-30-11 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-30-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I popped in a DS game and it looked fine. The complaints seemed to come from the fact that the new top screen is wider than the old one, and so the games come up windowboxed. But they're not tiny, they're the same size as they are on the regular DS. The complaints are just silly.

Good to know, thanks.

Spottedfeather, Chrono Trigger was released for the original DS as a SNES port. Pilot Wings is a new game developed specifically for the 3ds. However it uses the Wii Sports Resort island as it's setting, so it isn't totally original. This is the only location in the game, which is pretty weak. Still, I've always been a big Pilot Wings fan, and it's a good game to show off the hardware, so I like it. I've always been a big fan of objective based flight games like this though.
Old 03-30-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,013 Likes on 645 Posts

I went to the 3DS section of Metacritic, and only three games got a score of 75 or above. Street Fighter, Ghost Recon, and Ridge Racer. Ouch.
That doesn't seem that bad compared to most system launch titles.
Old 03-30-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,431 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
That doesn't seem that bad compared to most system launch titles.
I was about to say, that's pretty good for launch titles!

Played some Ridge Racer yesterday. It's a decent game with a lot of content, but it's basically the same Ridge Racer, arcadey drifting game that accompanies pretty much every console launch. I haven't picked one up since the PSP launch, so I'm fine with that, I don't think I even own a racing game for the DS anyway.

Not sure if this was posted for ridicule here yet:

http://money.cnn.com/video/technolog...eview.fortune/

"hardcore gamers, like me, for instance, who grew up on Halo." (you could certainly "grow up on Halo" and be a hardcore gamer, but I'm not sure you'd advertise that)
"competitors like the iphone or ipod touch are technically cheaper." (I guess this is true for the low end ipod touch, but certainly not a contract-free iphone)
"it relies exclusively on cartridges, something we haven't seen since the last gameboy pretty much" (I guess he considers the DS line to be a gameboy continuation. He's going to be disappointed with the NGP)
"you can't download the content"
"Adding insult to injury perhaps, it also features a stylus, something we haven't seen since palm devices in the early 2000's" (ok, maybe he has no idea what a DS is)

I pretty much agree with his premise that it's not going to compete with the iphone/ipod touch casual games, though.
Old 03-30-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 736 Likes on 519 Posts

I love how since the DS we've had the birth of the sub $5 game market on the iPhone/iPod/iPad, the huge success of $5-$10 full featured PSN/XBLA games and Nintendo decides to raise the cost of games for the 3DS.
Old 03-30-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I love how since the DS we've had the birth of the sub $5 game market on the iPhone/iPod/iPad, the huge success of $5-$10 full featured PSN/XBLA games and Nintendo decides to raise the cost of games for the 3DS.
They do like their money at Nintendo.
Old 03-30-11, 02:00 PM
Banned by request

Here's my review on the new Video Game Talk blog: http://videogametalk.com/blog/2011/0...do-3ds-review/
Old 03-30-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind View Post
After playing the 3DS, I refuse to wear glasses for 3D again. This is how all 3D should be.
With one column of people in the theater?
Old 03-30-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,278 Likes on 2,895 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
With one column of people in the theater?
Yes. Sitting 4 inches from the screen and not moving their heads from side to side at all.

And the power to the projector should go out before the end of Avatar.
Old 03-30-11, 08:53 PM

Seriously, I was complaining about this with a friend earlier. As cool as the 3ds is, as someone who owns an iPhone and iPad the concept of a dedicated portable gaming system with physical media is becoming a harder and harder sell. It doesn't help when the games cost so much. $40 is just unacceptable to me. Pilot Wings for instance, is the kind of game that would have been included in the box in the old days. I really want to try some of the other games like Steel Diver and Ghost Recon, but at $40 a pop it just won't happen. I will only be buying the A+ titles from here on out. I'm sure a lot of people have similar thoughts and this will harm development on the platform.

Also, have any of you played with the 3d camera? This is very cool! sucks that it is VGA, but the effect is really quite impressive.
Old 03-30-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,431 Likes on 1,110 Posts

As I never had a DSi, I honestly don't know... how much are the DSi downloadable games, and how much will the 3DS ones be?

I see something like a Dragon Quest IX come out, and I don't mind paying full console price for it. Admittedly, I don't think I would have gotten any launch games other than Street Fighter if not for the various deals out there. While I enjoy iphone and ipad games, I certainly wouldn't want only those types of games at that price point on a portable system.
Old 03-31-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would any of you guys want to trade me a different 3DS game for SSF4 3D? It's a great game, the 3D adds a lot to it in my opinion, but try as I may I just can't get into a one on one fighting game. I have tried to do so for the past 20 years, and I get bored of them every single time. The reviews for this one, and lack of other great games for launch, made a sucker out of me.
Old 03-31-11, 03:30 PM
Banned by request

I'm getting several 3DS games to review. What were you looking to trade for?

I've got Nintendogs, and will be getting Monkey Ball, Asphalt, and Sims 3. I'll trade any one of them for Street Fighter.
Old 03-31-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SM, I'd do it for Monkey Ball for sure, either that or Rayman maybe. When you run through them and want to trade, just shoot me a PM.

I really wish I could get into SSF4. I know all the characters, I've followed the series, and I always think "this" will be the version that I finally totally get into, but it just isn't ever going to happen.

I'm playing it again right now, and I must say, the over-the-shoulder view is pretty amazing in terms of the 3D, and it's quite playable in that mode as well. I am very, very impressed with the 3D visuals in this game, especially in that mode.

Last edited by Brent L; 03-31-11 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 09:23 PM

I'm with you Brent. I can acknowledge that Street Fighter is a great game, but something about fighting games just bores me.
Old 04-02-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,041 Likes on 719 Posts

i got to play the demo at best buy. it was actually halfway decent and surprised me. i don't think i'd buy one for many years but the 3D looked good. i couldn't use it at full blast, though. needed to be about halfway down.
Old 04-02-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I tried it again today at Best Buy and I had to turn it down as well. I also found I had to relax my eyes, much like those mind's eye 3D posters of the 90's. "It's a sailboat!"
Old 04-02-11, 11:26 PM

I'm surprised so many people are having issues with the 3d. I was really worried about this but I was happy to find it doesnt bother me at all, even with long play sessions.

I am concerned about one thing though, and I'm wonder if any other 3ds owners out there have experienced this. While playing some of the night missions in Pilot Wings in 3d mode, I have noticed some slight ghosting in the visuals. To be more specific, when there is an object in the distance, such as a ring or objective arrow, there are two faint ghosts of the actual object to the left and the right, which slowly disappear as you get closer. I'm wondering if this is just a problem with that specific game, or if it a problem in general with the 3d display drawing bright objects in dark game environments with a lot of contrast, or just an issue with my particular device.

Has anyone else noticed this?

As an aside, Pilot Wings is really a great ame if you're looking for an impressive launch title. I've been enjoying it a great deal despite its issues. It could have been a lot better, but what's there is at least enjoyable.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 04-02-11 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I noticed the same thing earlier in the Pilotwings demo. It got better once I relaxed my eyes like I mentioned above.
Old 04-03-11, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried it again today at Best Buy and I had to turn it down as well. I also found I had to relax my eyes, much like those mind's eye 3D posters of the 90's. "It's a sailboat!"
Look through the screen, not at it.
Old 04-03-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at.
Old 04-03-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You fucking morons. It's not a sailboat, it's a schooner.
Old 04-03-11, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 585 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
You fucking morons. It's not a sailboat, it's a schooner.
A schooner is a sailboat, stupid-head.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.