Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Old 08-01-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Originally Posted by Decker
I never understood why in six years, the DS never came out with more great games -- nothing that rivaled those Mario and Yoshi platformers, let alone the total absence of Zelda games
Maybe I'm reading that wrong?

Old 08-01-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,920 Likes on 4,039 Posts

Whoa. Totally forgot about those two and I even played the first one. My bad.
Old 08-01-11, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was talking with the guy at Best Buy tonight:

1. There is no problem with buying it now, getting the games, and getting a refund on the 12th. I wouldn't be the only one doing it. Only thing is the closer it gets to the 12th, the more likely that they will sell out of their on-shelf stock.

2. The value of the 20 games is something like $110. Some will sell for $1 online, others for $5 to $10, others won't be available except to ambassadors. But the "value" was said to be about $110.

Personally, I wasn't too crazy about the 3D effect. I still need to think about whether I would actually play any games on it.
Old 08-02-11, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Heat
2. The value of the 20 games is something like $110. Some will sell for $1 online, others for $5 to $10, others won't be available except to ambassadors. But the "value" was said to be about $110.
I know that's been written everywhere. But it's not what the official word from Nintendo was. They said they had "no plans" to offer those games to the general public. I have "no plans" on dying, but that doesn't mean it won't happen some day. You don't make a system capable of playing downloaded versions of some of the greatest games ever made and then never take advantage of that capability at the expense of millions of dollars in profit. At least you don't if you're Nintendo. I'm sure there will be a period of exclusivity, but I don't buy it for a second that it won't be coming down the pike. Judging by the price of things in the store today, I'd say $110 is pretty low an estimate of total price. Those games are pretty expensive.

Personally, I wasn't too crazy about the 3D effect. I still need to think about whether I would actually play any games on it.
Yeah, I'm having a real problem playing Zelda for more than 20 minutes in 3D. I keep changing back to the 2D mode. It's really straining my eyes and I keep seeing double on the screen. But others here said that it gave them I strain and it got better after a few weeks of playing (if I recall correctly). I hope that's the case for me as well.
Old 08-02-11, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Quake1028
The DS has a magnificent system library. No idea what you are smoking.
For the record, I'm not smoking anything. But I do think I'd like to revise and explain my previously stated position. I didn't mean to imply there weren't good games for the DS -- there are some great ones. The library of first-party and major-character games disappointed me personally, but I should first give this caveat :
I had never owned any Nintendo system before I got a dirt-cheap, butt-ugly bright pink first-generation GBA (with one of those cheap, third-party over-head light attachments, God help me). I was always on the outside of the Nintendo culture, being over Atari and deep in college and medical school studies during the NES and SNES years. Then I got this system. That game system allowed me to play Metroid Zero and Metroid Fusion when I really had no idea of what a "Metroid-like" game even was. Both were totally amazing. I played three Mario World games and totally loved every minute of them. Really enjoyed Yoshi's Island too. Played Link To The Past first, then later Minish Cap and totally loved both them. Sure a lot of those games were remastered classics from the SNES, but they were all new to me. My bar was set way too unrealistically high.

I held off on the DS for a while. I tried my friend's first generation one and thought it was too big and ugly. I tried the Mario 64 adaptation and found it very difficult to control. It turned me off. The re-design and NSBM hooked me in. I relented and bought a DS Lite. I LOVED NSMB, which was the first game I got for the DS. But it was a very long time before I found another DS game I really loved. I kept waiting for another cool 2D Metroid game, but one never came. I bought Hunters and totally hated it. Played it only a few times. Yoshi's Island 2 had the dreaded "dead zone" in the middle and felt like a huge disappointment. I did really enjoy Animal Crossing for a while, but like everyone, it became more of a chore than a game after a while. I did get that first Zelda DS game, but didn't like it nearly as much as the previous GBA ones. And I've never gotten the appeal of Pokemon -- it's not for me. So overall I was very underwhelmed with the Nintendo DS games, but maybe the bar was set too high. It's like if a publishing house's first release is the Collected Works of William Shakespeare, whatever comes out next isn't going to be as good by comparison. I kept waiting for a worthy sucessor to NSMB and never got one.
I do think the system was too underpowered and hampered by control issues for some of the things they were trying to do (like Mario 64 and Metroid Hunters). One of the things the GBA did right was that it was a perfect emulation of the SNES control system which allowed for perfect controls of the ported games.

For the record, I also loved a few other DS games like Dragon Quest IX, the first Professor Leyton game, Bowser's Inside Story, CrossworDS. Many others left me cold, though. Sorry.
Old 08-02-11, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

...Yeah, I'm having a real problem playing Zelda for more than 20 minutes in 3D. I keep changing back to the 2D mode...
So you can turn off the 3D mode and the animation looks just like it does on, say, a DS lite or DSi? That is, no ghosting or whatever?

Also, I wanted to add that per another forum I saw, the NES games will be available for download on September 1st, and the GBA games will be available sometime between September 1st and the end of the year. The games are apparently downloaded and played off of a normal SD card with one SD card being able to hold multiple games.
Old 08-02-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend that Decker check out the selection of Castlevania games on the DS. Good stuff...
Old 08-02-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm having a real problem playing Zelda for more than 20 minutes in 3D. I keep changing back to the 2D mode. It's really straining my eyes and I keep seeing double on the screen. But others here said that it gave them I strain and it got better after a few weeks of playing (if I recall correctly). I hope that's the case for me as well.
Yes, the strain lessens - I don't really get tired anymore while playing. Look through the screen, not at it. The reason you're seeing double is you're not at the optimal position. about 16 inches away, directly in front of your eyes. Anything off the ideal angle will blow the effect and you will see double, it's just how that tech works.
Old 08-02-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm curious, have you read print comic strips lately? The bar for quality is not that high in general for the art form (though there are, of course, gems).
Syndicated newspaper strips are admittedly pretty lame. Still, putting two characters with different gaming preferences in a comic strip hoping it will be funny just because its a cartoon is like Lockhorns-grade hackery. Scratch that, as lame as most actual comic strips are they have actual jokes, albeit lame ones.

With a computer you can make a webcomic that looks a lot better in regards to color, resolution etc. than any newspaper could ever deliver and you can reach a lot of people for free and of course this has resulted in a lot of laziness. Why do anything but appeal to the lowest common denominator when they're so easy to reach? Most of these webcomics are successful because they name-check video games and geek properties which has become the ultimate in lazy phone-in comedy in the last 15 years or so.

But yeah, a 3-panel comic that literally amounts to nothing more than a guy telling his friend that iPhone games are more fun than 3DS games pretty much takes the cake.
Old 08-02-11, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Yes, the strain lessens - I don't really get tired anymore while playing. Look through the screen, not at it. The reason you're seeing double is you're not at the optimal position. about 16 inches away, directly in front of your eyes. Anything off the ideal angle will blow the effect and you will see double, it's just how that tech works.
Thank you. I may have an additional problem with my lazy eye -- it's never been a problem with the glasses looking at the 3D TV and was never a problem with the DSi or any other handheld for me, but it's been really difficult for me to look at this thing in 3D. I'll try holding it further back, though.
I do find it impossible to use the motion control first-person aiming in 3D in Zelda -- it gives me instant double-vision. Now I just turn off the 3D when I break out the sling shot (if I'm playing in 3D at all). Is there an option to disable motion control when aiming. I'm afraid I'll run into the exact same problem with Luigi's Mansion 2, which is the next game I'm looking forward to.
Old 08-02-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you. I may have an additional problem with my lazy eye -- it's never been a problem with the glasses looking at the 3D TV and was never a problem with the DSi or any other handheld for me, but it's been really difficult for me to look at this thing in 3D. I'll try holding it further back, though.
I do find it impossible to use the motion control first-person aiming in 3D in Zelda -- it gives me instant double-vision. Now I just turn off the 3D when I break out the sling shot (if I'm playing in 3D at all). Is there an option to disable motion control when aiming. I'm afraid I'll run into the exact same problem with Luigi's Mansion 2, which is the next game I'm looking forward to.
Yeah, the 3D mixed with motion controls just doesn't work. I have to turn it off all the time.

Also - you sure you should be slicing near dicks with a lazy eye?
Old 08-02-11, 12:47 PM

Actually, until this new handheld, it's only been a problem when I read for extended periods -- I see double letters as the two eyes diverge. It's better when I wear reading glasses, or if I'm too lazy to dig them out, I just close one eye and I'm fine. It's never even something I've noticed outside of reading until now. Hopefully I'll learn to not strain my eyes so much and they'll stay converged. Otherwise, it still looks great in 2D -- in fact it looks better, brighter, sharper. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of the system, though.
Old 08-03-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

I was at Best Buy earlier and i still couldn't buy the 3DS even at the price cut. I have a feeling this is gonna end up like the Virtual Boy. 3DS looks too similar to DS and the 3D is a fading gimmick. The masses see it as just that. The Library is so small right now, i don't think it'll start to move copies till the Holidays when more games start coming out. Even then i don't think it'll sell as well as the DS did. So i'm waiting it out till it eventually hits the $100 or below price range.
Old 08-03-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,435 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I was at Best Buy earlier and i still couldn't buy the 3DS even at the price cut. I have a feeling this is gonna end up like the Virtual Boy. 3DS looks too similar to DS and the 3D is a fading gimmick. The masses see it as just that. The Library is so small right now, i don't think it'll start to move copies till the Holidays when more games start coming out. Even then i don't think it'll sell as well as the DS did. So i'm waiting it out till it eventually hits the $100 or below price range.
Even if it somehow becomes a massive failure, that'll be some wait. I mean the PSP Go was pretty much reviled from release, and it took quite some time to get the price down.
Old 08-03-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, $100 and under? You're gonna be waiting a loooong while...
Old 08-04-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up one blue and one black tonite at Best Buy. Plan on getting the $160 + tax back next weekend. Got home and sold two DSis on Amazon for $90 each so that is another $160 after amazon fees. Not too shabby. Still have a DSi and a DSiXL in the house that I may end up selling if the prices don't plummet on amazon.

By the way, stopped by the mall and went to the Ghost Armor kiosk and had them put screen protectors on the top and bottom screen. These things are pretty damn slick. Clear as a bell. Free replacements installed for $5 apiece for the life of the unit.
Old 08-04-11, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I opened mine tonight, finally. Registered it with club.nintendo.com for the 160 points so I'll probably have a grand total of 160 by the next deadline.

Haven't bothered to turn it on, let alone download anything. It's still charging. I forgot about the AR cards, those should be neat for a few minutes. Also didn't know about the charging dock. That's pretty spiffy.
Old 08-04-11, 10:33 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
No NES or GBA game will be $1 in the eShop. NES Games will likely be $5 and GBA $8.
Old 08-04-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, considering Gameboy(!) games are 3.99, i doubt others will be less than that.
Old 08-04-11, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah, considering Gameboy(!) games are 3.99, i doubt others will be less than that.
I've already spent about $30. Super Mario land, Zelda Qix and Cave Story.
Old 08-04-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I've already spent about $30. Super Mario land, Zelda Qix and Cave Story.
I was trying to figure out what Zelda Qix referred to, but I'm guessing Qix is its own game? Worth checking out?
Old 08-04-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I was trying to figure out what Zelda Qix referred to, but I'm guessing Qix is its own game? Worth checking out?
You don't know Qix? Get off my lawn whippersnapper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qix
Old 08-04-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by pinata242
Is playing OoT-3D for $40 something that people value? That's up to them. Not me. I played it on the N64, I played it on the GC, and again on the Wii. I wouldn't play it with 3D on anyway. But that's just me. Will I get more out of 20-40 iOS or Android games for my money? Absolutely.
Oddly enough, it is the best selling 3DS game to date.
Old 08-04-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You don't know Qix? Get off my lawn whippersnapper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qix
Ha! I was a Nintendo fan from the days of NES growing up, I just never had a Gameboy. The DS was my first portable system. I'll check it out...
Old 08-04-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I assume he meant Zelda DX.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.