Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Alan Wake

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 07:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Alan Wake

I beat this last night and felt disappointed. That final chapter felt like a total slog. I think, in the end, there wasn't enough variety in the gameplay to keep me interested. I have the first DLC and will probably try that, but unless my roommate wants to play it I'm going to sell it. Call of Cthulhu was a better horror game and experience than this.
Old 09-25-10, 12:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Remedy announced the last DLC comes out Oct 12 for 560 points

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=705208"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=705208" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>
Old 09-25-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FUCK! I'm going to be so broke. I need some MS points deals...
Old 09-25-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, day 1 purchase for me.
Old 09-25-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

How many packs are there? I have the first one in the unopened LE I just got. I haven't played any of them yet.
Old 09-25-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Including this new (and final) one? Two.
Old 09-25-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm, I thought there was more. At least three.
Old 09-25-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Quick question.....I think I'm going to buy the first add on The Signal - I really did dig the main game even though it got a little repetitive.

My question is......do they have any of the kick ass spring falls tv shows in the signal - I love those.
Old 09-25-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope The game comes with a code to get The Signal for free. I'm guessing you know that and don't have access, but just in case...
Old 09-25-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Hmm, I thought there was more. At least three.
There were going to be three, but I guess they stopped after two. The main game ending credits list credits for the The Signal and The Writer packs, interestingly.

After finishing the game, I decided to wait a while before checking out The Signal. I felt a little burned out by the sameness of the gameplay. I'll probably check it out in a few months and wait for The Writer to go on sale before picking that one up.
Old 09-25-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Nope The game comes with a code to get The Signal for free. I'm guessing you know that and don't have access, but just in case...
No, actually I didn't know that as I rented the game to beat it. Oh well (on the spring falls episodes) but from going back through this thread a little....seems like it's a pretty decent add on.
Old 09-25-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Question : will anything in that clip above spoil anything with The Signal?
Old 09-26-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
There were going to be three, but I guess they stopped after two. The main game ending credits list credits for the The Signal and The Writer packs, interestingly.

After finishing the game, I decided to wait a while before checking out The Signal. I felt a little burned out by the sameness of the gameplay. I'll probably check it out in a few months and wait for The Writer to go on sale before picking that one up.
I was actually excited to download and play The Signal especially since it was free. I just finished this add-on last night and now feel like you did at the end of the original title. To me....it really did not add anything to the original title besides more of the same gameplay and less cutscenes. I am now feeling like you felt and I am not sure I am that interested in downloading the last episode....especially since I will have to pay for it. I really do want to finish the story so I guess I will suck it up and eventually download it once it is available.
Old 09-26-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question : will anything in that clip above spoil anything with The Signal?
not necessarily. but just play the signal
Old 09-26-10, 11:26 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I need to still go back and do nightmare, but I am stuck on a late chpt of Halo Reach on Legendary now...(fuck you checkpoints...no health, no ammo and you give me a checkpoint in the middle of 50 fucking elites?)

Still I am actually very excited about this dlc...a sign of how much I loved the game...

I don't get as excited for DLC for Mass Effect 2, Red Dead, Bioshock 2...and those are games I rated higher after playing them..I would still rate Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead as the better games, but it makes me wonder why I get more excited for dlc for Alan Wake...????
Old 09-26-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foxdvd
but it makes me wonder why I get more excited for dlc for Alan Wake...????
Because it's not as much of an investment in time? I never buy DLC, but this is one game I would.
Old 09-26-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm definitely in for the next DLC... to me, the game wouldn't be complete without playing thru it.
Old 09-26-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm definitely in for the next DLC... to me, the game wouldn't be complete without playing thru it.
Which is why both DLC's should have come with the game. It is a bunch of crap that one buys a game and cannot finish the game without spending additional money. I realize the first was free with the game but they both should have been free for original buyers of the game. I could understand making people pay if they purchased a used copy or rented the game but for those who supported the game by making an original purchase and padding the publisher's pocket should have had a complete gaming experience without having to pay any additional money. Add-ons should consist of additional content...extras....etc..not actually be required to finish a game.
Old 09-26-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I felt that the original game was a full and complete experience by itself. Anything else is just cake, and I like cake enough to pay money for it.

I would've gladly bought The Signal if they hadn't gone against the current trend and included it free with the original game. So, bonus points to them.
Old 09-26-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I felt that the original game was a full and complete experience by itself. Anything else is just cake, and I like cake enough to pay money for it.

I would've gladly bought The Signal if they hadn't gone against the current trend and included it free with the original game. So, bonus points to them.
How is it a full and complete experience? He is looking for his wife who disappears in the beginning and still has not found her yet whether it is alive or dead. That is like starting a game where you are required to restore light in a faraway kingdom thrown into darkness by an evil spirit yet the game ends before you even have a chance to complete your quest.

The Signal and this other DLC coming out should have been a part of the original game.
Old 09-26-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll probably do the same even though I can play the Signal any time.
Old 09-26-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by djones6746
How is it a full and complete experience? He is looking for his wife who disappears in the beginning and still has not found her yet whether it is alive or dead. That is like starting a game where you are required to restore light in a faraway kingdom thrown into darkness by an evil spirit yet the game ends before you even have a chance to complete your quest.

The Signal and this other DLC coming out should have been a part of the original game.
I will say this; if for some reason The Writer completely wraps everything up in a tidy bow -- then yes, I agree with you 100%. If it leaves things open ended like both the original game and The Signal then I guess Remedy can justify the DLC cost I suspect it will be the latter.
Old 09-26-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
I will say this; if for some reason The Writer completely wraps everything up in a tidy bow -- then yes, I agree with you 100%. If it leaves things open ended like both the original game and The Signal then I guess Remedy can justify the DLC cost I suspect it will be the latter.
I just want to find the bitch to sign the divorce papers!!!! I know she's messing around in the spirit world.
Old 09-26-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess some people saw a wildly different ending cinematic than I did. Or perhaps they didn't watch it at all.
Old 10-12-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"The Writer" DLC is scheduled to be released today. Joystiq's review says it's much improved over the first DLC (90 minute playtime, like most other episodes). http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/11/al...writer-review/

Comments section says the difficulty is more like the main game and not like "The Signal"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.